REVIEW - Roscoe Gordon: "Booted" - CHESS 1487; NOVEMBER 1951

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 7:23:29 PM8/14/22
Roscoe Gordon: "Booted" - CHESS 1487; NOVEMBER 1951

https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/roscoe-gordon-booted-chess-1487/

YOUTUBE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xNcJVcHTE

SPONTANEOUS LUNACY VERDICT: 9/10

Roger Ford

Aug 15, 2022, 3:27:32 AM8/15/22
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 16:23:28 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Roscoe Gordon: "Booted" - CHESS 1487; NOVEMBER 1951
>

>https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/roscoe-gordon-booted-chess-1487/
>

>YOUTUBE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xNcJVcHTE

OK here's how Roscoe (with an "e") did in the 1951 Singles Battle

R1
>18 Roscoe Gordon - Booted - Chess 1487
>3 Lucky Millinder - Chew Tobacco Rag - King 4449

R2
>6 The Dominoes - No Says My Heart - Federal 12010
>8 Roscoe Gordon - Booted - Chess 1487

R3
>11 Tommy Edwards - It's All In The Game - MGM 11035
>10 Roscoe Gordon - Booted - Chess 1487

That very surprising Round 3 result pushes me to repeat my comments on
it from 2009

>Methinks one or two here might need reminding that this is NOT the famous
>later version of the song we're being asked to vote on---it's the much earlier
>(and much different) version

>SPONTANEOUS LUNACY VERDICT: 9/10

Ditto here

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

Roger Ford

Aug 15, 2022, 9:47:51 AM8/15/22
wrote:

>Roscoe Gordon: "Booted" - CHESS 1487; NOVEMBER 1951
>

>https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/roscoe-gordon-booted-chess-1487/
>

>YOUTUBE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xNcJVcHTE

Didn't play this till now---wrong version,man! '

Tis the RPM cut you have here

This is the earlier Sam Phillips produced cut Chess put out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXTp7Yt1uM8

DianeE

Aug 15, 2022, 7:59:40 PM8/15/22
On 8/15/2022 9:47 AM, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 16:23:28 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Roscoe Gordon: "Booted" - CHESS 1487; NOVEMBER 1951
>>

>> https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/roscoe-gordon-booted-chess-1487/
>>

>> YOUTUBE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xNcJVcHTE
>>

> Didn't play this till now---wrong version,man! '
>
> Tis the RPM cut you have here
>
> This is the earlier Sam Phillips produced cut Chess put out
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXTp7Yt1uM8

The 2 versions are pretty similar (length, lyrics, order of verses)--I'd
say the biggest difference is that the Chess version has a much more
exciting sax break.

Dean F.

Aug 15, 2022, 10:38:45 PM8/15/22
"I'm gonna take my knife and operate." Always loved that lyric!