Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - September 2021 - Round 1 - Group 4

DianeE

Sep 13, 2021, 6:22:44 AMSep 13
Mon. Sept. 13 2021

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 13, 2021, 8:58:29 AMSep 13

Please Don't Tease - Spaniels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-FxdF553PQ

What Did She Use - The Spinners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68JVMJq2f_Y

My Baby Left Me - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVKx_ypwd8

Move Baby Move - Larry Harrison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9BWfVIYeCI

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 13, 2021, 8:59:02 AMSep 13
MY RANKINGS

1. Move Baby Move - Larry Harrison
2. Please Don't Tease - Spaniels
3. What Did She Use - The Spinners
4. My Baby Left Me - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

Roger Ford

Sep 13, 2021, 9:31:23 AMSep 13
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 05:58:29 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Group 4 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.

My Baby Left Me - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
Please Don't Tease - Spaniels
Move Baby Move - Larry Harrison
What Did She Use - The Spinners

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

md

Sep 13, 2021, 10:08:45 AMSep 13
On Sep 13, 2021 at 7:58:29 AM CDT, "Sav...@aol.com" <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

> Group 4 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.

Please Don't Tease - Spaniels
My Baby Left Me - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
Move Baby Move - Larry Harrison
What Did She Use - The Spinners

--md

remove "xx" from address

Steve Mc

Sep 13, 2021, 10:16:39 AMSep 13

1. My Baby Left Me - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

2. Please Don't Tease - Spaniels

3. Move Baby Move - Larry Harrison

4. What Did She Use - The Spinners

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

DianeE

Sep 13, 2021, 10:23:07 AMSep 13
1-What Did She Use - The Spinners
2-Move Baby Move - Larry Harrison
3-Please Don't Tease - Spaniels
4-My Baby Left Me - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

Rick Schubert

Sep 13, 2021, 11:16:36 AMSep 13
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 05:58:29 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com" <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Group 4 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.

1. Please Don't Tease - Spaniels
2. My Baby Left Me - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
3. What Did She Use - The Spinners
4. Move Baby Move - Larry Harrison

Carl

Sep 13, 2021, 11:26:18 AMSep 13
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 5:58:29 AM UTC-7, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> Group 4 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.

1. My Baby Left Me - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts
2. Please Don't Tease - Spaniels
3. Move Baby Move - Larry Harrison
4. What Did She Use - The Spinners

Jim Colegrove

Dennis C from Tennessee

Sep 13, 2021, 1:36:49 PMSep 13
1- Spaniels

2- Spinners

3- B.Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

4- Larry Harrison

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 13, 2021, 2:01:45 PMSep 13
FINAL RANKINGS - same as md.

1. Please Don't Tease - Spaniels - 29
2. My Baby Left Me - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts - 26

3. Move Baby Move - Larry Harrison - 19
4. What Did She Use - The Spinners - 16

Rick, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that since we started the monthly tournaments that the Spaniels have had more records nominated than any other act.

Rick's Floppy Eared Doggies take the group and Jim's McVouts take second to also advance into the SWEET 16. My Larry Harrison Moves out, and Diane's item spun into last place as it was 3rd or last on every ballot except for Diane's and Dennis'.

Rick Schubert

Sep 14, 2021, 4:00:37 AMSep 14
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 11:01:43 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com" <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Rick, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that since we started the monthly tournaments that the Spaniels have had more records nominated than any other act.

You're right, but it is close. The top artists are:

11 Spaniels
10 Midnighters
10 Reed, Jimmy
7 Cadillacs
7 Penguins
6 Five Keys
6 King, Earl
6 Solitaires
5 Dells
5 Diddley, Bo
5 Drifters
5 James, Elmore
5 Nutmegs
5 Platters
5 Charles, Ray

DianeE

Sep 14, 2021, 6:31:44 AMSep 14
-------------I'm surprised the Diablos are not on that list. How many by
them?

DianeE

Sep 14, 2021, 8:10:15 AMSep 14
-------------
I just answered my own question, and the answer is *8*. As I suspected,
they were listed 3 times under D and 5 times under S for Strong, Nolan.
I left out the Nolan Strong & Velvet Angels nomination--that would
have made it 9. So the Diablos should be #4 on that list, after Jimmy
Reed and before the Cadillacs.

Roger Ford

Sep 14, 2021, 8:48:52 AMSep 14
Gee,I wonder who nominated most of those Diablos sides?

Bill B

Sep 14, 2021, 9:45:17 AMSep 14
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 8:48:52 AM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 08:10:12 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:

> >> -------------I'm surprised the Diablos are not on that list. How many by
> >> them?
> >>

> >-------------
> >I just answered my own question, and the answer is *8*. As I suspected,
> >they were listed 3 times under D and 5 times under S for Strong, Nolan.

> Gee,I wonder who nominated most of those Diablos sides?
> ROGER FORD

If not the most Diablos sides, my guess is Frank Fay nominated the most Fortune Records sides.

Bill B

Sep 14, 2021, 4:02:16 PMSep 14
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 8:10:15 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:
> On 9/14/2021 6:31 AM, DianeE wrote:
> > On 9/14/2021 4:00 AM, Rick Schubert wrote:

> >> You're right, but it is close. The top artists are:
> >>
> >> 11 Spaniels
> >> 10 Midnighters
> >> I just answered my own question, and the answer is *8*. As I suspected,
> they were listed 3 times under D and 5 times under S for Strong, Nolan.
> So the Diablos should be #4 on that list, after Jimmy
> Reed and before the Cadillacs.

And perhaps the Midnighters should be #1, if there are additional singles listed as Hank Ballard & the Midnighters which were not counted.

md

Sep 14, 2021, 5:47:55 PMSep 14
Or even spelled Midniters

RWC

Sep 14, 2021, 9:21:51 PMSep 14
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 01:00:34 -0700, Rick Schubert <r...@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>You're right, but it is close. The top {monthly Tournament} artists are:
>
> 11 Spaniels
> 10 Midnighters
> 10 Reed, Jimmy
> 7 Cadillacs
> 7 Penguins
> 6 Five Keys
> 6 King, Earl
> 6 Solitaires
> 5 Dells
> 5 Diddley, Bo
> 5 Drifters
> 5 James, Elmore
> 5 Nutmegs
> 5 Platters
> 5 Charles, Ray

Are there any Hispanic singers here?

RWC

Sep 15, 2021, 11:00:53 PMSep 15
So it's an all BLM affair.

DianeE

Sep 16, 2021, 12:06:14 AMSep 16
No, there are 3 under Ballard and 7 under Midnighters/Midniters for a
total of 10.