Who recorded this r'n'b song?

Bill Bugge

Apr 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/21/97

Bob HUME wrote:

> Who recorded the song "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"? (Title may be inciorrect)
> Has it been re-issued anywhere?

Bob,
It was recorded by the Toppers and is included on the Rhino "Risque
Rhythm" CD. See my separate post "Risque Rhythm (was BOWLEGGED WOMAN)".
If you can't find the post, e-mail me and I'll mail it back to you.
Bill Bugge

Roadrunner

Apr 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/21/97

Bob HUME wrote:

> Who recorded the song "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"? (Title may be inciorrect)
> Has it been re-issued anywhere?
>
> --
> R.HOP...@MURDOCH.EDU.AU
>
> Bob Hume ,-_l\ "They keep on telling me to settle down
> PO Box 7387 / \ But I'm telling you
> Cloister's Sq WA $_.-._/ This is a real gone town
> AUSTRALIA 6850 v And I aint a gonna do it."
> JOHNNY O'KEEFE AND HIS DEE JAYS.

I have the song by both the Toppers and the Bangers.

Bob HUME

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

Patrick M. Eaton Sr.

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

In article <5jh32p$khi$1...@brumby.cowan.edu.au>, rhop...@scorpion.cowan.edu.au (Bob HUME) wrote:

>Who recorded the song "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"? (Title may be inciorrect)
>Has it been re-issued anywhere?

Hi Bob:
Unbelievable as it may seem, the record was played over and over in a bar in
Saint Paul, Mn. called The Flamingo Club, (were I might add a lot of great
bands and singers appeared in the 60's.) I thought no one else had ever
heard of it. I'm quite sure it was made just for a BAR record. Anyhow here it
is....... 'Baby Let Me Bang Your Box" was done by a group called 'The Bangers"
on "The Banger Label". Unreal, wouldn't you say?
Sincerely:
Patrick M. Eaton Sr.

"Somethin' Else" -- Eddie Cochran --1959 -- On Liberty

NLVDon

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

I remember this as being by Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts, but I don't have
acopy of it.
Don McLaughlin
Montpelier,VT
45 RPM Picture Sleeve Collector

sli...@sunlink.net

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

rhop...@scorpion.cowan.edu.au (Bob HUME) wrote:

>Who recorded the song "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"? (Title may be inciorrect)
>Has it been re-issued anywhere?

>--
>R.HOP...@MURDOCH.EDU.AU

The Toppers recorded it in 1954 on the Jubilee label...

Jubilee 5136
--
sli...@sunlink.net

Bill Bugge

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

Bill Bugge wrote:

> Bob HUME wrote:
> >
> > Who recorded the song "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"? (Title may be inciorrect)
> > Has it been re-issued anywhere?
> >

> Bob,
> It was recorded by the Toppers and is included on the Rhino "Risque
> Rhythm" CD. See my separate post "Risque Rhythm (was BOWLEGGED WOMAN)".
> If you can't find the post, e-mail me and I'll mail it back to you.
> Bill Bugge

All this about "Baby, Let Me Bang Your Box" reminds me of my youth. I
remember when a friend of mine stole this record from a Bay Ridge,
Brooklyn record store while I was with him by slipping it under his
jacket. I also remember him stealing "Whaddaya Want" by the Robins the
same way and, when we were getting ready to play it in his bedroom and
his father walked in, he hid it under a pillow. When his father left, he
sat on the pillow and broke the record. I don't remember whether they
were 78's or 45's, but they were probably 78's.
Bill Bugge

JDD4643

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97

the version i remember was by Doug Clark & The Hot Nuts

michael fiedler

Apr 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/22/97
to Patrick M. Eaton Sr.

Patrick M. Eaton Sr. wrote:

> In article <5jh32p$khi$1...@brumby.cowan.edu.au>, rhop...@scorpion.cowan.edu.au (Bob HUME) wrote:
> >

> >Who recorded the song "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"? (Title may be inciorrect)
> >Has it been re-issued anywhere?
> >

> Hi Bob:
> Unbelievable as it may seem, the record was played over and over in a bar in
> Saint Paul, Mn. called The Flamingo Club, (were I might add a lot of great
> bands and singers appeared in the 60's.) I thought no one else had ever
> heard of it. I'm quite sure it was made just for a BAR record. Anyhow here it
> is....... 'Baby Let Me Bang Your Box" was done by a group called 'The Bangers"
> on "The Banger Label". Unreal, wouldn't you say?
> Sincerely:
> Patrick M. Eaton Sr.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> "Somethin' Else" -- Eddie Cochran --1959 -- On Liberty
There is out of the parameters of the group, but the song was also
recorded by Doug Clark & the Hot Nuts. The group used to play a lot in
Madison, WI. They probably recorded the song around 1966.

Mike Fiedler

Bill Bugge

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

Dr. Whett N. Wylde wrote:

> Baby Let Me.... was an alternative station favorite in the mid-60's
> here in Pittsburgh. Doubtless there were any number of bars where this
> record appeared on a jukebox. Amazingly, this record was featured on
> the juke in the local neighborhood (South Side for all yinz who know
> where I'm talkin' about) hamburger joint.
>
> I owned this record when it was originally released in Pgh. and I seem
> to recall that Banger was the label. However, as I sit here typing
> this instead of eating lunch, the present record in my collection is
> on R&B. I can't remember, but one or both of the disks might have said
> "promo copy - not for sale" or some other such legend.
>
> Any ideas, anyone?

Where you been? All this time away and this is what brings you back? I
guess you got tired of waiting for Bruce to make a "faux pas" you could
take issue with. Anyway, I think there was only one R&B version of this
song and that is what the subject of the post asks for. That is the
Toppers version on Jubilee 5136 from Feb. 1954. All other versions are
presumably Rock & Roll, not R&B, and probably not from the 50's. But,
even off the subject and out of decade, it's good to hear from you
again.
Bill Bugge

Dr. Whett N. Wylde

Apr 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/23/97

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997 01:32:25 GMT, eato...@eau.net (Patrick M. Eaton
Sr.), having entirely too much time on his hands, wrote :

>In article <5jh32p$khi$1...@brumby.cowan.edu.au>, rhop...@scorpion.cowan.edu.au (Bob HUME) wrote:
>>

>>Who recorded the song "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"? (Title may be inciorrect)
>>Has it been re-issued anywhere?
>>

>Hi Bob:
>Unbelievable as it may seem, the record was played over and over in a bar in
>Saint Paul, Mn. called The Flamingo Club, (were I might add a lot of great
>bands and singers appeared in the 60's.) I thought no one else had ever
>heard of it. I'm quite sure it was made just for a BAR record. Anyhow here it
>is....... 'Baby Let Me Bang Your Box" was done by a group called 'The Bangers"
>on "The Banger Label". Unreal, wouldn't you say?

Baby Let Me.... was an alternative station favorite in the mid-60's

here in Pittsburgh. Doubtless there were any number of bars where this
record appeared on a jukebox. Amazingly, this record was featured on
the juke in the local neighborhood (South Side for all yinz who know
where I'm talkin' about) hamburger joint.

I owned this record when it was originally released in Pgh. and I seem
to recall that Banger was the label. However, as I sit here typing
this instead of eating lunch, the present record in my collection is
on R&B. I can't remember, but one or both of the disks might have said
"promo copy - not for sale" or some other such legend.

Any ideas, anyone?

P.S. to Norm K.,

You're right about the play or your name.... it could have been
Cat-Tuna. Har har har har har. Cheer up... you could have been stuck
with a name like mine which gets abused so badly that I resort to
using a phonetic spelling for all but "offical" documents.

Dr. Whett N. Wylde,

lead tenor for the instrumental group, "The Sykotyx"

Steve Steinberg

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Bob HUME wrote:

> Who recorded the song "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"? (Title may be inciorrect)
> Has it been re-issued anywhere?
>
> --
> R.HOP...@MURDOCH.EDU.AU
>
> Bob Hume ,-_l\ "They keep on telling me to settle down
> PO Box 7387 / \ But I'm telling you
> Cloister's Sq WA $_.-._/ This is a real gone town
> AUSTRALIA 6850 v And I aint a gonna do it."
> JOHNNY O'KEEFE AND HIS DEE JAYS.
Bob,
The song "I Love to Play Your Piano, Let Me Bang Your Box" was issued
on Jubilee, Feb. 1954. The artist was The Toppers aka The Hurricanes aka
The Memos. You can pick up a CD version from Rhino Records along with 17
other nasty 50s songs on Risque Rhythm( Rhino #R2 70570).

Above info from liner notes by P.A.Grendysa.

Steve S.

Norm Katuna

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

On 1/3/53 Billboard magazine reviewed Okeh 6928, Arnett Cobb Ork.-----"Linger
Awhile", rating it at 74 and on Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:16:46 -0700, in
rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Steve Steinberg <stev...@sprynet.com>, wrote:

::: >

::: > R.HOP...@MURDOCH.EDU.AU

::: > AUSTRALIA 6850 v And I aint a gonna do it."

::: > JOHNNY O'KEEFE AND HIS DEE JAYS.
::: Bob,
::: The song "I Love to Play Your Piano, Let Me Bang Your Box" was issued
::: on Jubilee, Feb. 1954. The artist was The Toppers aka The Hurricanes aka
::: The Memos. You can pick up a CD version from Rhino Records along with 17
::: other nasty 50s songs on Risque Rhythm( Rhino #R2 70570).
:::
:::
::: Above info from liner notes by P.A.Grendysa.
:::
::: Steve S.

Guess I'm going to have to step in here.

For everyone that has posted and had "Baby" in the title, you are wrong. The
above is actually, technically wrong also. This is for Rick Schubert's benefit
here also. He always likes to see everything correct, just like I do. There
are times I don't get it perfect, though.

I have Jubilee 5136 original 1st pressing by the Toppers. Here's how the title
is listed:

(I Love To Play Your Piano)

Let Me Bang Your Box

To be absolutely correct, the parenthesis has to be there. Just for
clarification, Kreiter's book is wrong by showing "Baby" in the title.

Norm Katuna
------------------
Larry Dowd......Pink cadillac...........Spinning 6009
Al Downing......Down on the farm........Challenge 59006
Al Downing .....Down on the farm........White Rock 1111

FEARLESS FOSDICK

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Just to echo Norm's post to the group and add a little more info.
I only have a 78 copy of the Toppers record. The info I can add is:
I beleive it was released February 1954.
Jubilee 5136 "Let Me Bang Your Box" (JB-1-266)
"You're Laughing Cause I'm Crying"(JB-267)
The group consisted Sam Fickling, Fred Williams, Vernon Britton, Jerry
Halfhide and Henry Auston.
Footnote: I suggest if you have a copy of the record play the b-side.
ff
He's The Lone Stranger.....Hi, ho golden oldies awayyyy!
dick...@worldnet.att.net

Rick Schubert

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

In <33603ff4...@news3.cts.com> no...@cts.com (Norm Katuna) writes:

> On 1/3/53 Billboard magazine reviewed Okeh 6928, Arnett Cobb Ork.-----"Linger
> Awhile", rating it at 74 and on Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:16:46 -0700, in
> rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Steve Steinberg <stev...@sprynet.com>, wrote:

> ::: The song "I Love to Play Your Piano, Let Me Bang Your Box" was issued
> ::: on Jubilee, Feb. 1954. The artist was The Toppers aka The Hurricanes aka
> ::: The Memos. You can pick up a CD version from Rhino Records along with 17
> ::: other nasty 50s songs on Risque Rhythm( Rhino #R2 70570).

> For everyone that has posted and had "Baby" in the title, you are wrong. The

> above is actually, technically wrong also. This is for Rick Schubert's benefit
> here also. He always likes to see everything correct, just like I do. There
> are times I don't get it perfect, though.

> I have Jubilee 5136 original 1st pressing by the Toppers. Here's how the title
> is listed:

> (I Love To Play Your Piano)

> Let Me Bang Your Box

Thanks, Norm. I do appreciate seeing the title exactly as it appears on
the record. Incidentally, though, I also have the Risque Rhythm CD,
and (at least according to how I've entered it into my database from the
CD), the title on the CD is listed as:
(I Love To Play Your Piano) Let Me Bang Your Box

For some reason, several people here who listed that title from the CD
decided to omit the parentheses and replace them with a comma. But
your answer is more accurate since it does indicate that the title is
split across 2 lines. But you didn't indicate if both lines use the
same size font. ;-)

The CD also lists the artist as:
Toppers with Orchestra

Does Jubilee 5136 list it that way? If it does include "with Orchestra,"
it's probably on line bellow "Toppers" and in a smaller font.

-- Rick Schubert (rick.s...@SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM)

Norm Katuna

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

On 1/3/53 Billboard magazine reviewed Okeh 6928, Arnett Cobb Ork.-----"Linger
Awhile", rating it at 74 and on Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:56:56 GMT, in
rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, rick.s...@SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert),
wrote:

::: > (I Love To Play Your Piano)

::: > Let Me Bang Your Box
:::
[...]

To the group and to Rick by e-mail.

Boy is this a tough crowd tonight. Talk about getting picky. But here goes.
I forgot to mention last time that mine is an original 45 of this.

(I Love To Play Your Piano) on top with mixed cases and smaller fonts
LET ME BANG YOUR BOX Larger fonts and all Capitals

THE TOPPERS all caps
with Orchestra mixed cases with no capital for the w in with.

THE TOPPERS is a slightly smaller font than the all caps for the LET ME...
portion.

Rick---is this going to do it or do you want to know the flip side also?

sli...@sunlink.net

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

no...@cts.com (Norm Katuna) wrote:

>On 1/3/53 Billboard magazine reviewed Okeh 6928, Arnett Cobb Ork.-----"Linger

>Awhile", rating it at 74 and on Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:16:46 -0700, in
>rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Steve Steinberg <stev...@sprynet.com>, wrote:

>::: Bob HUME wrote:
>::: >
>::: > Who recorded the song "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"? (Title may be inciorrect)
>::: > Has it been re-issued anywhere?

>::: > R.HOP...@MURDOCH.EDU.AU

>::: > AUSTRALIA 6850 v And I aint a gonna do it."
>::: > JOHNNY O'KEEFE AND HIS DEE JAYS.
>::: Bob,

>::: The song "I Love to Play Your Piano, Let Me Bang Your Box" was issued
>::: on Jubilee, Feb. 1954. The artist was The Toppers aka The Hurricanes aka
>::: The Memos. You can pick up a CD version from Rhino Records along with 17
>::: other nasty 50s songs on Risque Rhythm( Rhino #R2 70570).

>:::
>:::
>::: Above info from liner notes by P.A.Grendysa.
>:::
>::: Steve S.

>Guess I'm going to have to step in here.

>For everyone that has posted and had "Baby" in the title, you are wrong. The

>above is actually, technically wrong also. This is for Rick Schubert's benefit
>here also. He always likes to see everything correct, just like I do. There
>are times I don't get it perfect, though.

>I have Jubilee 5136 original 1st pressing by the Toppers. Here's how the title
>is listed:

>(I Love To Play Your Piano)

>Let Me Bang Your Box

>To be absolutely correct, the parenthesis has to be there. Just for

>clarification, Kreiter's book is wrong by showing "Baby" in the title.

>Norm Katuna
>------------------
>Larry Dowd......Pink cadillac...........Spinning 6009
>Al Downing......Down on the farm........Challenge 59006
>Al Downing .....Down on the farm........White Rock 1111

Ah yes,

but Jubilee has it listed on the Boppin' album as Baby, Let Me Bang
Your Box....

And it's an original first pressing...

So let's blame the company for the confusion with the name...
--
sli...@sunlink.net