REVIEW - Ray Charles: "I'll Do Anything But Work" - Swing Time 229; OCTOBER 1950

DianeE

Sep 11, 2021, 11:06:31 AM9/11/21

DianeE

Sep 11, 2021, 12:39:57 PM9/11/21
---------
It's a high 5 for me. The lyrics are beyond inane, but the extended
instrumental break (piano, then sax, then piano) is terrific.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 11, 2021, 12:50:46 PM9/11/21
A 6 for me, I checked out the lyrics, and they make perfect sense to me. He'll do whatever she wants, but work. As long as she pays the bills. There are hundreds of millions of women who have that attitude, and almost as many men who are fine with it. Why can't a man have it too?

md

Sep 11, 2021, 1:48:20 PM9/11/21
A six seems about right. Ray was obviously still in his stage of imitating Nat
King Cole, and the song would fit the Cole Trio just fine, odd lyrics and all.
Samp underrates it because, as usual, it's not what he calls r&b.

--md

remove "xx" from address

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 11, 2021, 1:57:26 PM9/11/21
He doesn't call any of these R&B, they are rock and roll.

md

Sep 11, 2021, 2:14:47 PM9/11/21
Yeah, I've never quite understood that since it's all pretty much only r&b he
discusses. Does he make a distinction between r&b and r'n'r? And if he does, I
think he might be as interested in r'n'r's country roots as its r&b ones.

Roger Ford

Sep 11, 2021, 2:21:11 PM9/11/21
On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:14:41 -0500, md <madint...@xxnew.rr.com>
wrote:

>On Sep 11, 2021 at 12:57:25 PM CDT, "Sav...@aol.com" <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>>> A six seems about right. Ray was obviously still in his stage of imitating Nat
>>> King Cole, and the song would fit the Cole Trio just fine, odd lyrics and all.
>>> Samp underrates it because, as usual, it's not what he calls r&b.
>>

>> He doesn't call any of these R&B, they are rock and roll.
>
>Yeah, I've never quite understood that since it's all pretty much only r&b he
>discusses. Does he make a distinction between r&b and r'n'r? And if he does, I
>think he might be as interested in r'n'r's country roots as its r&b ones.

I just hope I live long enough to see exactly how Samp handles
rockabilly :)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 11, 2021, 2:23:08 PM9/11/21
His stance, and mine, is that starting in the late 1940s that much of R&B was already rock and roll. He does include blues or jazz or any other forms of black music that were making the R&B Charts at the time.

As for the country stuff, he has not yet reviewed any country acts as part of rock and roll, but I think that will end soon when he starts reviewing Bill Haley's 1951 records, and maybe some other things from that year.

He has reviewed some white acts already, Johnny Otis, and Doc Pomus, maybe someone else.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 11, 2021, 2:25:08 PM9/11/21
He'll handle it. I just wonder if he's going to be anywhere near as thorough with the thousands of rockabilly releases that are there from 1955 through 1959. He hasn't expressed any interest in all of the oddball rockabilly records of the 50s, like he has with the oddball R&B records.

Roger Ford

Sep 12, 2021, 12:00:06 PM9/12/21
On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:23:07 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
Agree with this

>As for the country stuff, he has not yet reviewed any country acts as part of rock and roll, but I think that will end soon when he starts reviewing Bill Haley's 1951 records, and maybe some other things from that year.

He seems to be bypassing hillbilly boogie entirely (e.g stuff like Big
Jeff's "Juke Box Boogie" from July 1950) but I imagine he'll go with
Haley's "Rocket 88" and "Green Tree Boogie" from 1951

>He has reviewed some white acts already, Johnny Otis, and Doc Pomus, maybe someone else.

He appears to be sticking to his chronology so Doc Pomus' pretty good
"Send For The Doctor" on Chess should make an appearance in the next
few weeks

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 12, 2021, 12:08:38 PM9/12/21
On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:23:07 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"

> >His stance, and mine, is that starting in the late 1940s that much of R&B was already rock and roll. He does include blues or jazz or any other forms of black music that were making the R&B Charts at the time.

That should say...

He does NOT include blues or jazz or any other forms of black music that were making the R&B Charts at the time.

DianeE

Sep 12, 2021, 4:19:49 PM9/12/21
On 9/11/2021 12:50 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> A 6 for me, I checked out the lyrics, and they make perfect sense to me. He'll do whatever she wants, but work. As long as she pays the bills. There are hundreds of millions of women who have that attitude, and almost as many men who are fine with it. Why can't a man have it too?

----------
I'm listening to this in 2021 and it sounds like a racist stereotype to
me, "lazy black man." I can't know what it would have sounded like in
1950.
(I was 2 years old and my idea of a great record was "Abba Dabba
Honeymoon." Now *those* are some lyrics for you!)

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 12, 2021, 6:18:51 PM9/12/21
On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 4:19:49 PM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:
> On 9/11/2021 12:50 PM, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
>

> > A 6 for me, I checked out the lyrics, and they make perfect sense to me. He'll do whatever she wants, but work. As long as she pays the bills. There are hundreds of millions of women who have that attitude, and almost as many men who are fine with it. Why can't a man have it too?
> >
> ----------
> I'm listening to this in 2021 and it sounds like a racist stereotype to
> me, "lazy black man." I can't know what it would have sounded like in
> 1950.

You may not LIKE the lyrics, but they are NOT inane.

Bob Roman

Sep 13, 2021, 7:58:59 AM9/13/21
On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 2:14:47 PM UTC-4, md wrote:

> > He doesn't call any of these R&B, they are rock and roll.
> Yeah, I've never quite understood that since it's all pretty much only r&b he
> discusses. Does he make a distinction between r&b and r'n'r? And if he does, I
> think he might be as interested in r'n'r's country roots as its r&b ones.
> --md

And I remember hearing somewhere that Johnnie Ray invented rock & roll.

--
BR

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 13, 2021, 8:57:18 AM9/13/21
With much influence from Frankie Laine.

Roger Ford

Sep 13, 2021, 9:33:15 AM9/13/21
Needed Pat Boone to put some soul feeling into it tho

RWC

Sep 13, 2021, 10:28:41 AM9/13/21
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 13:33:14 GMT, mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger
Ford) wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 04:58:57 -0700 (PDT), Bob Roman
><robert...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I've never quite understood that since it's all pretty much only r&b he
>>> discusses. Does he make a distinction between r&b and r'n'r? And if he does, I
>>> think he might be as interested in r'n'r's country roots as its r&b ones.
>>> --md
>>
>>And I remember hearing somewhere that Johnnie Ray invented rock & roll.
>>
>Needed Pat Boone to put some soul feeling into it tho

Johnnie Ray, Frankie Laine, Pat Boone
the names ring a Welsh bell

DianeE

Sep 13, 2021, 12:31:46 PM9/13/21
------------
Frankie Laine = Francesco P. LoVecchio.
The other two came by their last names naturally, although how Boone got
"Pat" from Charles is beyond me.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 13, 2021, 12:36:39 PM9/13/21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Boone