LET'S ....PLAY....(1950s Music)...JEOPARDY! - Sunday 8-14-22

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 12:13:21 AM8/14/22
Here are the 5 Jeopardy answers for the day:

1. And the answer is!

In the first issue of Billboard from the 1950s, dated January 7, 1950, this was the highest debuting record on the Country Chart, at #6.

2. And the answer is!

Nick Anderson and Rudy Morgan were original members of this group but they were gone before the group ever recorded.

3. And the answer is!

He played the memorable drum parts on "Til I Kissed You" by the Everly Brothers.

4. And the answer is!

Joel Whitburn listed this recording act as the #2 artist on the Billboard R&B charts for the 1950s, behind only Fats Domino for the decade.

5. And the answer is!

This was the first non major label to have a number one Billboard Pop chart hit in the 1950s.

Dean F.

Aug 14, 2022, 2:22:43 AM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 12:13:21 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> Joel Whitburn listed this recording act as the #2 artist on the Billboard R&B charts for the 1950s, behind only Fats Domino for the decade.

Who is Elvis Presley?

> This was the first non major label to have a number one Billboard Pop chart hit in the 1950s.

What is National?

Bill B

Aug 14, 2022, 6:24:50 AM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 12:13:21 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 12:13:21 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> Here are the 5 Jeopardy answers for the day:

As an alternative to sitting these contests out because I am already devoting too much time to research, I will limit myself to one total guess on certain questions.That may be the equivalent of sitting them out.

Bill B

Aug 14, 2022, 7:29:09 AM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 12:13:21 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> Here are the 5 Jeopardy answers for the day:
>
> 1. And the answer is!
>
> In the first issue of Billboard from the 1950s, dated January 7, 1950, this was the highest debuting record on the Country Chart, at #6.

Here's my first non researched guess:

I'm Movin' On- Hank Snow.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 9:34:04 AM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 2:22:43 AM UTC-4, Dean F. wrote:
> On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 12:13:21 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>
> > Joel Whitburn listed this recording act as the #2 artist on the Billboard R&B charts for the 1950s, behind only Fats Domino for the decade.
> Who is Elvis Presley?

No, he was #3.

> > This was the first non major label to have a number one Billboard Pop chart hit in the 1950s.
> What is National?

YES - That Eileen Barton disaster "If I Knew You Were Coming I Would Have Baked A Cake."

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 9:34:58 AM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 6:24:50 AM UTC-4, bb...@optonline.net wrote:
> On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 12:13:21 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 12:13:21 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > Here are the 5 Jeopardy answers for the day:
> As an alternative to sitting these contests out because I am already devoting too much time to research, I will limit myself to one total guess on certain questions.That may be the equivalent of sitting them out.

Yes, a busy man like you can't be spending too much time on one thing.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 9:35:40 AM8/14/22
No. But even if it was right you didn't have it in question form so it would be wrong.

DianeE

Aug 14, 2022, 12:09:45 PM8/14/22
On 8/14/2022 12:13 AM, Bruce wrote:

> 3. And the answer is!
>
> He played the memorable drum parts on "Til I Kissed You" by the Everly Brothers.
------------
Who is Hal Blaine?

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 12:21:21 PM8/14/22
Nope.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 14, 2022, 12:36:59 PM8/14/22
I took a sneak peek!!

Pretty cool revelatory question, baby!!

Bill B

Aug 14, 2022, 1:55:23 PM8/14/22
Who was Chet Atkins?

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 2:30:06 PM8/14/22
Chet was on the record, but not on the drums.

Roger Ford

Aug 14, 2022, 4:02:26 PM8/14/22
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 06:34:03 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 2:22:43 AM UTC-4, Dean F. wrote:
>> On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 12:13:21 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>

>> > This was the first non major label to have a number one Billboard Pop chart hit in the 1950s.
>> What is National?
>
>YES - That Eileen Barton disaster "If I Knew You Were Coming I Would Have Baked A Cake."

I don't think Coral qualified as a "major label" did it? "Rag Mop" by
the Ames Brothers was an earlier #1 than the Barton

I don't think London Records with their mostly UK originated output
qualified either. But their biggest US star Teresa Brewer put "Music!
Music! Music!" at #1 for them (again pre-Barton)

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

Dean F.

Aug 14, 2022, 4:06:45 PM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 9:34:04 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> > > Joel Whitburn listed this recording act as the #2 artist on the Billboard R&B charts for the 1950s, behind only Fats Domino for the decade.
> > Who is Elvis Presley?
> No, he was #3.

According to the 2017 edition of "Top R&B Singles," Elvis was #2 for the decade.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 4:10:51 PM8/14/22
I've got the one that goes up to 1988 and he's #3.

Roger Ford

Aug 14, 2022, 4:11:26 PM8/14/22
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 21:13:20 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Here are the 5 Jeopardy answers for the day:
>

>3. And the answer is!
>
>He played the memorable drum parts on "Til I Kissed You" by the Everly Brothers.

Who is Jerry Allison

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 4:11:59 PM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 4:02:26 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 06:34:03 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:

> >> What is National?
> >
> >YES - That Eileen Barton disaster "If I Knew You Were Coming I Would Have Baked A Cake."
> I don't think Coral qualified as a "major label" did it? "Rag Mop" by
> the Ames Brothers was an earlier #1 than the Barton
>
> I don't think London Records with their mostly UK originated output
> qualified either. But their biggest US star Teresa Brewer put "Music!
> Music! Music!" at #1 for them (again pre-Barton)

I messed this one up badly, I did not even have National as the answer, I had B.B.S.. But I do consider Coral as a major along with Brunswick.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 4:12:44 PM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 4:11:26 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 21:13:20 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
> >Here are the 5 Jeopardy answers for the day:
> >

> >3. And the answer is!
> >
> >He played the memorable drum parts on "Til I Kissed You" by the Everly Brothers.
> >
> Who is Jerry Allison

TES

Roger is back home and I'm sure he will do well on my new daily feature.

Bruce

Roger Ford

Aug 14, 2022, 4:22:22 PM8/14/22
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 13:11:58 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
As I understand it the five major US labels in the 1950's were RCA
VIctor,Columbia,Decca,Mercury and MGM.

The many subsidaries of these (like Coral) did'nt count

And even if they did then London (and Teresa Brewer) would still be
ahead of Eileen Barton

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 4:28:31 PM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 4:22:22 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 13:11:58 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 4:02:26 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:

> >> I don't think Coral qualified as a "major label" did it? "Rag Mop" by
> >> the Ames Brothers was an earlier #1 than the Barton
> >>
> >> I don't think London Records with their mostly UK originated output
> >> qualified either. But their biggest US star Teresa Brewer put "Music!
> >> Music! Music!" at #1 for them (again pre-Barton)
> >
> >I messed this one up badly, I did not even have National as the answer, I had B.B.S.. But I do consider Coral as a major along with Brunswick.
> As I understand it the five major US labels in the 1950's were RCA
> VIctor,Columbia,Decca,Mercury and MGM.
>
> The many subsidaries of these (like Coral) did'nt count
>
> And even if they did then London (and Teresa Brewer) would still be
> ahead of Eileen Barton

I agree on London, but I think the subsids should all count, including Okeh and Wing. It doesn't become not a major just because they come up with a different name for a label that is also under the major's umbrella.

Roger Ford

Aug 14, 2022, 6:07:03 PM8/14/22
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 13:28:30 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
We will disagrree on the subsidaries which often had both an office
staff and a recording team seperate from the parent company e.g Epic
and Okeh (with Columbia) and Coral and Brunswick (with Decca)

Roger Ford

Aug 14, 2022, 6:16:04 PM8/14/22
wrote:

>Here are the 5 Jeopardy answers for the day:
>
>1. And the answer is!
>
>In the first issue of Billboard from the 1950s, dated January 7, 1950, this was the highest debuting record on the Country Chart, at #6.

This was "Anticipation Blues" by Tennessee Ernie the flip to his cover
of Buz Butler's "Mule Train"

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 6:18:31 PM8/14/22
But always had the power of the parent company behind their distribution and promotion and recording facilities and expenses and everything else that gave the majors an advantage. They started these subsids for the same reason that they released Crickets records on 2 different labels and 2 different artist's names. They felt they could get full airplay on both releases at the same time (Oh Boy & Peggie Sue) if people did not really realize that Buddy Holly on Coral and the Crickets on Brunswick were actually the same act recording for the same record company. They thought that perhaps if both records were by the same act on the same label that stations may just decide to play whichever track of the two that they thought was better.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 6:18:58 PM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 6:16:04 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 21:13:20 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:
> >Here are the 5 Jeopardy answers for the day:
> >
> >1. And the answer is!
> >
> >In the first issue of Billboard from the 1950s, dated January 7, 1950, this was the highest debuting record on the Country Chart, at #6.
> >
> This was "Anticipation Blues" by Tennessee Ernie the flip to his cover
> of Buz Butler's "Mule Train"

YES

Roger Ford

Aug 14, 2022, 6:22:45 PM8/14/22
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 13:10:50 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>> > No, he was #3.
>> According to the 2017 edition of "Top R&B Singles," Elvis was #2 for the decade.
>
>I've got the one that goes up to 1988 and he's #3.

???

I have Joel's book in the 1942-2004 edition and #2 is Elvis

Roger Ford

Aug 14, 2022, 6:26:28 PM8/14/22
On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 15:18:58 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 6:16:04 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2022 21:13:20 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
>> wrote:
>> >Here are the 5 Jeopardy answers for the day:
>> >
>> >1. And the answer is!
>> >
>> >In the first issue of Billboard from the 1950s, dated January 7, 1950, this was the highest debuting record on the Country Chart, at #6.
>> >
>> This was "Anticipation Blues" by Tennessee Ernie the flip to his cover
>> of Buz Butler's "Mule Train"
>
>YES

From 1949 here's Buz Butler's original version of "Mule Train"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4hubzd2sQ

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 6:29:38 PM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 6:22:45 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 13:10:50 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com>
> wrote:

> >> According to the 2017 edition of "Top R&B Singles," Elvis was #2 for the decade.
> >
> >I've got the one that goes up to 1988 and he's #3.
> ???
>
> I have Joel's book in the 1942-2004 edition and #2 is Elvis

Maybe you and Dean should try the #3 act in each of your books.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 6:33:24 PM8/14/22
Dean sent me a scan from his book and the act that shows there as #4 is #2 in my book.

Dean F.

Aug 14, 2022, 7:03:30 PM8/14/22
On Sunday, August 14, 2022 at 6:29:38 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:

> Maybe you and Dean should try the #3 act in each of your books.

In the 2017 edition, #3 is Ruth Brown.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2022, 7:05:04 PM8/14/22
I checked what you sent, the #4 in your book was #2 in mine.

Bruce

Aug 15, 2022, 12:39:14 AM8/15/22
The 2 that nobody got.

2. And the answer is!

Nick Anderson and Rudy Morgan were original members of this group but they were gone before the group ever recorded.

Who are the Solitaires?

4. And the answer is!

Joel Whitburn listed this recording act as the #2 artist on the Billboard R&B charts for the 1950s, behind only Fats Domino for the decade.

Who is Dinah Washington? In my edition of the book she is listed as the second biggest act on the R&B charts for the 50s, and her point total is significantly higher than the #s act, Elvis. Clearly Whitburn changed his formula for tabulating this over the years, and I can tell you that none of his formulas are mathematically sound anyway.

Dinah had 28 chart hits for the decade totaling 141 weeks on the chart.
Elvis had 26 chart hits for the decade totaling 220 weeks on the chart, but all of Elvis hits came from when the chart was much larger, from 20-30 songs. Most of Dinah's hits came from when the chart was only a top 10-15, so of course he has many more weeks.

Roger Ford

Aug 15, 2022, 2:09:10 AM8/15/22