REVIEW - Wynonie Harris: "Teardrops From My Eyes" - KING 4419; OCTOBER 1950

DianeE

Sep 14, 2021, 10:22:42 AM9/14/21

DianeE

Sep 14, 2021, 10:32:31 AM9/14/21
-----------
I couldn't imagine how a Wynonie Harris record could rate a 2. Turns
out the blaring horns are a turn off for me, but it's no way bad enough
to be a 2.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 14, 2021, 11:10:30 AM9/14/21
The review today is very interesting. Here's a snip.

Let’s start off by reminding people that the artist whose original version of this song was on its way to Number One was the same Ruth Brown that Millinder hired – and then abruptly fired – two years earlier.

Irked that Brown had kindly brought drinks for the band as they relaxed after their set following her only performance with them on stage in Washington D.C., Millinder told her he’d hired a singer, not a waitress and left her stranded in the nation’s capital. It was that event which changed her fortunes, as she found a sympathetic soul in club owner Blanche Calloway who agreed to let her sing to earn money to head home, then seeing her talents became her manager, eventually getting her signed to Atlantic Records where she became the top selling female artist in rock over the next fifteen years.

DianeE

Sep 14, 2021, 11:52:33 AM9/14/21
When did Bill Haley record this song?

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 14, 2021, 12:09:28 PM9/14/21
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 11:52:33 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:

> When did Bill Haley record this song?

Recorded in 1950 but went unissued until Bear Family box set decades later.

Roger Ford

Sep 14, 2021, 1:01:08 PM9/14/21
Wynonie doesn't get on my 1950 list with his version (Ruth gets an 8)
but you're right Di...this rates more than a 2. I'd say 4 at least
maybe 5

Samp has gone out of sync slightly with this---its the flip of "Oh
Babe" that we had the other day

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 14, 2021, 2:32:20 PM9/14/21
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 1:01:08 PM UTC-4, Roger Ford wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:32:28 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:
>
> >On 9/14/2021 10:22 AM, DianeE wrote:
> >> https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/wynonie-harris-teardrops-from-my-eyes-king-4419/
> >>

> >> YOUTUBE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjobdZSLK_4
> >>

> >> SPONTANEOUS LUNACY VERDICT 2/10
> >-----------
> >I couldn't imagine how a Wynonie Harris record could rate a 2. Turns
> >out the blaring horns are a turn off for me, but it's no way bad enough
> >to be a 2.
> Wynonie doesn't get on my 1950 list with his version (Ruth gets an 8)
> but you're right Di...this rates more than a 2. I'd say 4 at least
> maybe 5
>
> Samp has gone out of sync slightly with this---its the flip of "Oh
> Babe" that we had the other day

I don't think so. "Oh Babe" is backed with "Silent George" and "Teardrops" is backed with "Please Open Your Heart."

https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Harris-Millinder-Together-Again.jpg

Roger Ford

Sep 14, 2021, 3:26:21 PM9/14/21
Shit!! You're right...sorry I was thinking of the European pressiing

RWC

Sep 14, 2021, 10:20:22 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 08:10:29 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
<Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Let’s start off by reminding people that the artist whose original version of this song was on its way to Number One was the same Ruth Brown that Millinder hired – and then abruptly fired – two years earlier.
>
>Irked that Brown had kindly brought drinks for the band as they relaxed after their set following her only performance with them on stage in Washington D.C., Millinder told her he’d hired a singer, not a waitress and left her stranded in the nation’s capital. It was that event which changed her fortunes, as she found a sympathetic soul in club owner Blanche Calloway who agreed to let her sing to earn money to head home, then seeing her talents became her manager, eventually getting her signed to Atlantic Records where she became the top selling female artist in rock over the next fifteen years.

Expanding greatly on this narrative:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Pan_African_Chronology_III/AnQwCgAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PA469

Blanche was Cab Calloway's sister
Atlantic Records - "the house that Ruth built"

Roger Ford

Sep 15, 2021, 12:49:42 AM9/15/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 19:26:17 GMT, mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk (Roger
Ford) wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:32:16 -0700 (PDT), "Sav...@aol.com"
><Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>>> Wynonie doesn't get on my 1950 list with his version (Ruth gets an 8)
>>> but you're right Di...this rates more than a 2. I'd say 4 at least
>>> maybe 5
>>>
>>> Samp has gone out of sync slightly with this---its the flip of "Oh
>>> Babe" that we had the other day
>>
>>I don't think so. "Oh Babe" is backed with "Silent George" and "Teardrops" is backed with "Please Open Your Heart."
>>
>>https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Harris-Millinder-Together-Again.jpg
>

>Shit!! You're right...sorry I was thinking of the European pressiing

I also forgot to add the somewhat short Battle history of this number

Here's how Wynonie & Lucky did with this one in said 1950 contest

R1
> 2 Baby Boy Warren - Lonesome Cabin Blues - Staff 707
>14 Wynonie Harris & Lucky Millinder - Teardrops From My Eyes - King 4419

It's not my favorite version of the song but Wynonie does the job here

WINNER : WYNONIE

R2
> 5 Wynonie Harris & Lucky Millinder - Teardrops From My Eyes - King 4419
>14 Smiley Lewis - Tee-Nah-Nah - Imperial 5067

Here's the better Smiley original joining Van Walls cover in Round 3
WINNER : SMILEY

And here's a pic of that French pressing of the record mentioned above

https://www.popsike.com/WYNONIE-HARRIS-TEARDROPS-FROM-MY-EYESOH-BABE-78-rpm-JAZZ-SELECTION/322560071381.html

Not forgetting the curious UK Vogue pressing (that we didn't get until
1952) where the number is paired with the MUCH better "Keep On
Churnin'"

https://www.45worlds.com/78rpm/record/v2144