Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - Pre-1947 Edition - August 2022 - Round 1 - Group 8

Bruce

Aug 17, 2022, 12:03:14 AM8/17/22
Group 8 is now open.

Boogie Woogie Stomp - Albert Ammons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBmVtW5qxGs

Truckin' My Blues Away - Blind Boy Fuller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x10BgiKaLcw

Cow Cow Boogie - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald
https://www.youtube.com/watch/wPJnoUQH7Zk

Sing Me A Swing Song (And Let Me Dance) - Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aPEI7iTZBU

Bruce

Aug 17, 2022, 12:04:00 AM8/17/22
MY RANKINGS

1. Cow Cow Boogie - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald
2. Truckin' My Blues Away - Blind Boy Fuller
3. Boogie Woogie Stomp - Albert Ammons
4. Sing Me A Swing Song (And Let Me Dance) - Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb

Rick Schubert

Aug 17, 2022, 12:17:48 AM8/17/22

Rick Schubert

Aug 17, 2022, 12:19:36 AM8/17/22
On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 21:03:13 -0700 (PDT), Bruce <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

>Group 8 is now open.

1. Boogie Woogie Stomp - Albert Ammons
2. Cow Cow Boogie - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald
3. Sing Me A Swing Song (And Let Me Dance) - Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb
4. Truckin' My Blues Away - Blind Boy Fuller

Steve Mc

Aug 17, 2022, 12:20:07 AM8/17/22
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Roger Ford

Aug 17, 2022, 12:21:12 AM8/17/22
wrote:

>Group 8 is now open.

Cow Cow Boogie - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald
Truckin' My Blues Away - Blind Boy Fuller
Boogie Woogie Stomp - Albert Ammons
Sing Me A Swing Song (And Let Me Dance) - Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

DianeE

Aug 17, 2022, 12:22:53 AM8/17/22

1-Truckin' My Blues Away - Blind Boy Fuller
2-Boogie Woogie Stomp - Albert Ammons
3-Sing Me A Swing Song (And Let Me Dance) - Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb
4-Cow Cow Boogie - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald

Carl

Aug 17, 2022, 12:27:16 AM8/17/22
On Tuesday, August 16, 2022 at 9:03:14 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:
> Group 8 is now open.

1. Sing Me A Swing Song (And Let Me Dance) - Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb
2. Cow Cow Boogie - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald
3. Truckin' My Blues Away - Blind Boy Fuller
4. Boogie Woogie Stomp - Albert Ammons

Bill B

Dennis C from Tennessee

Aug 17, 2022, 9:33:15 AM8/17/22

*oooh!! Tight dead heat in this four horse race!! Neck and three more necks, baby!!

1- Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb

2- Blind Boy Fuller

3- Albert Ammons

4- Ink Spots & Ella Fitzgerald

Mark D.

Aug 17, 2022, 9:34:04 AM8/17/22
On Aug 16, 2022 at 11:03:13 PM CDT, "Bruce" <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

> Group 8 is now open.

Boogie Woogie Stomp - Albert Ammons
Sing Me A Swing Song (And Let Me Dance) - Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb
Truckin' My Blues Away - Blind Boy Fuller
Cow Cow Boogie - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald

--md

remove "xx" for email

Jim Colegrove

Bruce

Aug 17, 2022, 12:19:32 PM8/17/22
FINAL RAMKINGS - same as me, Steve and Roger.

1. Cow Cow Boogie - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald - 28
2. Truckin' My Blues Away - Blind Boy Fuller - 26

3. Boogie Woogie Stomp - Albert Ammons - 25
4. Sing Me A Swing Song (And Let Me Dance) - Ella Fitzgerald & Chick Webb - 21

Steve's Cow wins the group with With Muller's Fuller second. They both enter the SWEET 16, which starts tomorrow. Rick's Double A was a pernt bshind in third place and bows out, and Carl's Swing song danced out of the contest in last place.

Bruce

Aug 17, 2022, 12:23:56 PM8/17/22
AUGUST SWEET SIXTEEN

It's Only A Paper Moon - King Cole Trio (Bruce)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc5RMYvXOhA

Dirty Mother For You - Memphis Minnie (Mark)
https://youtu.be/VSvrpW4tIaU

Ain't That Just like a Woman - Louis Jordan (Mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKivTlVQosk

Just A-Sittin' And A-Rockin' - Delta Rhythm Boys (Bruce)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpHBCh-AEmI

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens - Louis Jordan (Bruce)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXKv6p5hd2Q

Paper Doll- Mills Brothers (Bill)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGtbXCADWQ

Worried Life Blues - Big Maceo Merriweather (Rick)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vKHY0sxyZI

At The Swing Cats' Ball - Louis Jordan (Carl)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1QY5WfxKA

Darktown Strutters Ball - Ella Fitzgerald (Steve)
https://www.youtube.com/watch/zSpxUzwEqpE

Oklahoma Hills- Jack Guthrie (Bill)
https://youtu.be/IvoZbdaxmPE?t=19

Take The 'A' Train - The Delta Rhythm Boys (Carl)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeKsDJNtOI

Midnight Special - Leadbelly (Steve)
https://www.youtube.com/watch/6IjPmIEgeIU

Keep A-Knockin' - Louis Jordan And His Tympany Five (Rick)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uajijh9Lew

These Foolish Things - Teddy Wilson (Billie Holiday vcl) (Diane)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0Bn_H4C3M

Cow Cow Boogie - Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald (Steve)
https://www.youtube.com/watch/wPJnoUQH7Zk

Truckin' My Blues Away - Blind Boy Fuller (Diane)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x10BgiKaLcw

Bruce - 3
Steve - 3
Bill - 2
Diane - 2
Carl - 2
Mark - 2
Rick - 2

Roger got shut out this time.

Ken Whiton

Aug 18, 2022, 12:13:46 AM8/18/22
*-* On Wed, 17 Aug 2022, at 09:23:55 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <4b8f6661-09dc-4de2...@googlegroups.com>,
*-* Bruce wrote
*-* About Re: Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - Pre-1947 Edition - August
2022 - Round 1 - Group 8

> AUGUST SWEET SIXTEEN

[ ... ]

> At The Swing Cats' Ball - Louis Jordan (Carl)
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1QY5WfxKA

You corrected the title, but not his name. Roger and I have both
posted links to the 45worlds label scan showing it as "Louie", not
"Louis". That was one of three early records (two US, one UK) where
his name was spelled "Louie".

<https://www.45worlds.com/78rpm/artist/louie-jordan-and-his-tympany-five/all>

Ken Whiton
--