REVIEW - Joe Turner: "Back Breaking Blues" - ALADDIN 3070; OCTOBER 1950

DianeE

Sep 12, 2021, 10:16:18 AM9/12/21

md

Sep 12, 2021, 10:35:17 AM9/12/21
The singing alone would make it a 6 for me. Did anyone ever do more with the
the repeat line of the blues than Joe?

--md

remove "xx" from address

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 12, 2021, 10:45:28 AM9/12/21
Never thought of that, but you're right. He was always sensational with the repeat line.

Roger Ford

Sep 12, 2021, 11:08:51 AM9/12/21
On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:16:15 -0400, DianeE <Dia...@NoSpam.net> wrote:

>https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/big-joe-turner-back-breaking-blues-aladdin-3070/
>

>YOUTUBE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=besTZSG-XiQ

Here's Joe's score sheet with this (mistitled) one in the 1950 Battle

R1
> 2 Piano Red - My Gal Jo - RCA 50-0106
>13 Joe Turner - Back Breaking Baby - Aladdin 3070

Big Joe's march of conquest goes on unabated
WINNER : TURNER

R2
>14 Joe Turner - Back Breaking Baby - Aladdin 3070
> 3 The Four Buds - Just To See You Smile Again - Savoy 769

Turner triumphs again as the Four Buds exit stage left
WINNER : TURNER

R3
>12 Professor Longhair - She Walks Right In - Atlantic 897
> 6 Joe Turner - Back Breaking Baby - Aladdin 3070

Another win for Longhair as one of his best triumphs over Turner
WINNER : LONGHAIR

>SPONTANEOUS LUNACY VERDICT 4/10

Definitely worh well more than a meagre 4

It gets a 7 on my 1950 favorites list

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (mari...@bblueyonder.co.uk) Please

https://www.avg.com

Roger Ford

Sep 12, 2021, 11:10:06 AM9/12/21
I second (well third then!) that!!!

RWC

Sep 12, 2021, 12:13:04 PM9/12/21
On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 09:35:10 -0500, md <madint...@xxnew.rr.com>
wrote:

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=besTZSG-XiQ
>>
>The singing alone would make it a 6 for me.

>Did anyone ever do more with the the repeat line of the blues than Joe?

Yes, now I think about it, Joe was great with the repeat line.

Thanks, Mark, for making us more conscious of this attribute of Joe's
singing.

Anyway, as for this particular record, the backing instrumentation
is nevertheless equally valuable.

DianeE

Sep 12, 2021, 1:42:57 PM9/12/21
This was actually recorded in November 1947. I agree that it's more of a 6.

DianeE

Sep 12, 2021, 1:47:04 PM9/12/21
Jack McVea on tenor sax, Pete Johnson on piano, Pee Wee Crayton on
guitar although I don't hear any guitar on this track.