Bruce's Observations - September 2021

DianeE

Sep 4, 2021, 10:30:56 AMSep 4
Here they are, fresh out of the can.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Sep 4, 2021, 11:41:05 AMSep 4
On Saturday, September 4, 2021 at 10:30:56 AM UTC-4, DianeE wrote:
> Here they are, fresh out of the can.

Yes, right out of the can. I can hear the flushing sound!!

Where's the Febreze, baby!!??

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 8, 2021, 11:45:52 PMSep 8

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 9, 2021, 11:48:51 PMSep 9

Dean F.

Sep 10, 2021, 12:07:42 AMSep 10
On Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 11:48:51 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> Roger, Dean, look what Donn got for this junk.

It's how the Everly Brothers would sound if they sucked.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 10, 2021, 4:04:41 PMSep 10
The Most Overplayed Songs of All Time.

https://www.theessentialbs.com/article/vertical/slideshow/50-overplayed-songs-ranked/19141/18?camp_id=91956&utm_campaign=91956&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=N.%200.15&utm_content=Final%20Countdown%20-%20Closeup%20-%20Playful%20-%20H1%20-%20VR&utm_term=v&fbclid=IwAR1_0kDuKFait0QkS-U-DYlrW9bL5S7jGU9pTKS4sStg36Gbd6TtGYS9bQw

34. Sherry (1962) The Four Seasons
Pretty much anything by The Four Seasons can make this list because of that stupid whining noise the short guy makes. Out of all of the songs, "Sherry" is the most annoying because it’s basically the whole thing. There is nothing to love about this song, technically nor lyrically. It's a disaster, and we aren't going to pretend otherwise.

ROFL!

Stupid whining noise the short guy makes!

md

Sep 10, 2021, 4:22:50 PMSep 10
Sherry is one of the better songs on that horrendous list.

And where's "Brandi" by the Looking Glass, to mention just one horror that
immediately popped, unwanted, into my mind?

--md

remove "xx" from address

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 12, 2021, 10:36:21 PMSep 12

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 14, 2021, 1:33:17 AMSep 14
I've become a big Christopher Hitchens fan. Just saw a great video where the host asked him "Christopher, have you ever prayed in your life" and Hitch replies, "Once, for a hard on."

Dean F.

Sep 14, 2021, 1:47:11 AMSep 14
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 1:33:17 AM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:

> I've become a big Christopher Hitchens fan. Just saw a great video where the host asked him "Christopher, have you ever prayed in your life" and Hitch replies, "Once, for a hard on."

There was one time Hitchens took something on faith: when Bush claimed there were WMDs in Iraq. Despite no evidence to support the assertion, Hitchens fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 14, 2021, 1:54:32 AMSep 14
And I've seen him years later say that he still would have gone and and gotten rid of Sadam, that it had to be done. But that stuff doesn't interest me much, I like him because he rips into all these god assholes.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 14, 2021, 2:30:01 PMSep 14
Never heard this before, Barrett Strong answering his own hit. I think it's terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6r0BMs9Fk

md

Sep 14, 2021, 4:02:10 PMSep 14
It is terrible. Thanks to Lieber and Stoller, I'm guessing, mostly latin beats
were all the rage when the record was cut, and here they're just glued on top
for no good reason at all. Awful.

Dean F.

Sep 14, 2021, 9:59:56 PMSep 14
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 2:30:01 PM UTC-4, Sav...@aol.com wrote:
> Never heard this before, Barrett Strong answering his own hit. I think it's terrible.

Oh, yeah! This is on the CD pictured in the video. I played it once, when I bought the disc some 20 years ago. That was more than enough.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 15, 2021, 10:29:06 AMSep 15
Rolling Stone's new Top 500 Songs list is out.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... r-1224837/

Here's the top 100.

100. Bob Dylan, 'Blowin' in the Wind' 1963
99. Bee Gees, 'Stayin' Alive' 1977
98. The Beatles, 'In My Life' 1965
97. Patti Smith, 'Gloria' 1975
96. Jay-Z, '99 Problems' 2003
95. Oasis, 'Wonderwall' 1995
94. Whitney Houston, 'I Will Always Love You' 1992
93. Kelly Clarkson, 'Since U Been Gone' 2004
92. Little Richard, 'Good Golly, Miss Molly' 1958
91. UGK feat. Outkast, 'Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)' 2007
90. Aretha Franklin, '(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman' 1967
89. The Beatles, 'Hey Jude' 1968
88. Guns N' Roses, 'Sweet Child O' Mine' 1987
87. LCD Soundsystem, 'All My Friends' 2007
86. The Rolling Stones, 'Tumbling Dice' 1972
85. Prince, 'Kiss' 1986
84. Al Green, 'Let's Stay Together' 1971
83. Bob Dylan, 'Desolation Row' 1965
82. Adele, 'Rolling in the Deep' 2011
81. The Velvet Underground, 'I’m Waiting for the Man' 1967
80. Ray Charles, 'What'd I Say' 1957
79. Amy Winehouse, 'Back to Black' 2006
78. The Four Tops, 'Reach Out (I'll Be There)' 1967
77. The Modern Lovers, 'Roadrunner' 1976
76. Johnny Cash, 'I Walk the Line' 1956
75. Pulp, 'Common People' 1996
74. Leonard Cohen, 'Hallelujah' 1984
73. Beyoncé, 'Formation' 2016
72. The Beatles, 'Yesterday' 1965
71. Tracy Chapman, 'Fast Car' 1988
70. Elvis Presley, 'Suspicious Minds' 1969
69. Taylor Swift, 'All Too Well' 2012
68. Chic, 'Good Times' 1979
67. Bob Dylan, 'Tangled Up in Blue' 1975
66. Simon and Garfunkel, 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' 1970
65. Earth, Wind, and Fire, 'September' 1978
64. Ramones, 'Blitzkrieg Bop' 1976
63. Dolly Parton, 'Jolene' 1974
62. U2, 'One' 1992
61. Led Zeppelin, 'Stairway to Heaven' 1971
60. Kate Bush, 'Running Up That Hill' 1985
59. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, 'The Message' 1982
58. The Band, 'The Weight' 1968
57. Sly and the Family Stone, 'Family Affair' 1971
56. Missy Elliott, 'Work It' 2000
55. Madonna, 'Like a Prayer' 1989
54. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, 'The Tracks of My Tears' 1965
53. The Beach Boys, 'Good Vibrations' 1966
52. Donna Summer, 'I Feel Love' 1977
51. Dionne Warwick, 'Walk on By' 1964
50. Daddy Yankee feat. Glory, 'Gasolina' 2010
49. Lauryn Hill, 'Doo Wop (That Thing)' 1998
48. Radiohead, 'Idioteque' 2000
47. Elton John, 'Tiny Dancer' 1972
46. M.I.A., 'Paper Planes' 2008
45. Kendrick Lamar, 'Alright' 2015
44. Michael Jackson, 'Billie Jean' 1982
43. The Temptations, 'My Girl' 1965
42. Bob Marley and the Wailers, 'Redemption Song' 1980
41. Joy Division, 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' 1980
40. The Jimi Hendrix Experience, 'All Along the Watchtower' 1968
39. Outkast, 'B.O.B.' 2000
38. Otis Redding, '(Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay' 1967
37. Prince and the Revolution, 'When Doves Cry' 1984
36. The White Stripes, 'Seven Nation Army' 2003
35. Little Richard, 'Tutti-Frutti' 1955
34. James Brown, 'Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag' 1966
33. Chuck Berry, 'Johnny B. Goode' 1958
32. Notorious B.I.G., 'Juicy' 1994
31. The Rolling Stones, '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' 1965
30. Lorde, 'Royals' 2011
29. Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg, 'Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang' 1992
28. Talking Heads, 'Once in a Lifetime' 1980
27. Bruce Springsteen, 'Born to Run' 1975
26. Joni Mitchell, 'A Case of You' 1971
25. Kanye West feat. Pusha T, 'Runaway' 2010
24. The Beatles, 'A Day in the Life' 1967
23. David Bowie, 'Heroes' 1977
22. The Ronettes, 'Be My Baby' 1963
21. Billie Holiday, 'Strange Fruit' 1939
20. Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own' 2010
19. John Lennon, 'Imagine' 1971
18. Prince and the Revolution, 'Purple Rain' 1984
17. Queen, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' 1975
16. Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z, 'Crazy in Love' 2003
15. The Beatles, 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' 1963
14. The Kinks, 'Waterloo Sunset' 1967
13. The Rolling Stones, 'Gimme Shelter' 1969
12. Stevie Wonder, 'Superstition' 1972
11. The Beach Boys, 'God Only Knows' 1966
10. Outkast, 'Hey Ya!' 2003
09. Fleetwood Mac, 'Dreams' 1977
08. Missy Elliott, 'Get Ur Freak On' 2001
07. The Beatles, 'Strawberry Fields Forever' 1967
06. Marvin Gaye, 'What’s Going On' 1971
05. Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' 1991
04. Bob Dylan, 'Like a Rolling Stone' 1965
03. Sam Cooke, 'A Change Is Gonna Come' 1964
02. Public Enemy, 'Fight the Power' 1989
01. Aretha Franklin, 'Respect' 1967

Dennis C from Tennessee

Sep 15, 2021, 11:29:54 AMSep 15
Idiotic list.

Why isn't Rolling Stone lying in the obsolete basement bin with Look, Saturday Evening Post, and Brides, baby!!??

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 15, 2021, 11:37:14 AMSep 15
Our time is done, folks. It's a new world.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Sep 15, 2021, 12:14:54 PMSep 15
Speak for tour withered self!!

I'm just gettin warmed up..............well, at least warmed over, baby!!

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 16, 2021, 1:20:38 AMSep 16
Check out this thread, Mark. I'm not the only one who doesn't
care about lyrics.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LetsTalkMusic/comments/7gpm9p/i_love_music_but_dont_really_care_about_lyrics/

I love music but don't really care about lyrics.
I'm a big fan of music like everyone here, and I listen to most genres of music. But when it comes to lyrics, I just don't really care that much. All of my music friends think it's silly to not care about lyrics but I just never have. I'm way more interested in the sounds and the music itself.

This opinion was also one of the main reasons it took me such a long time to get into rap music, I love it now but that's because I started to appreciate the beats and flow of individual rappers. Also in rap music I can enjoy good bars and clever rhymes (Tribe Called Quest comes to mind). But when it comes to deeper meanings in lyrics (eg Bob Dylan, Kendrick Lamar, both of whom I'm a fan of) I just don't care.

This also comes up with concept albums, I love many concept albums but don't know or care about the story that is being told.

Does anyone else feel this way about music? I'm interested to hear this sub's take on it.

Abysswalker_8
·
4y
Yeah, I feel the same way.

It's one of the reasons I didn't have difficulty getting into Korean and Japanese music. In fact, it's something I prefer, because lyrics can often get in the way by being cringy or whatever, so not being able to understand them can be a good thing. It also lets me treat vocals more as instruments, rather than being distracted by the words (although that has never really been a problem for me anyways).

themanifoldcuriosity
·
4y
Exactly the same with me. And to be sure, I absolutely do appreciate the human voice as an instrument - but the words themselves, apart from a few very rare cases, are in one ear and out the other with me.

Rutabegapudding
·
4y
·
edited 4y
JimminyBillyB
I basically see where you're coming from and feel the same way. Lyrics aren't terribly important to me and a lot of my favourite music has non at all. It's not that they don't register with me at all, but I see them like wallpaper to the main structure of the music. I'm the same when it comes to rap and folk. I can appreciate good production and arrangement whenever I hear it, but the focus of the music is usually elsewhere so I don't listen to those styles often.

That being said, I'm fascinated by songs whose lyrical content contrasts heavily with its music. This Stones song is probably my favourite: the lyrics are just so corny and have nothing to do with the sound of the music or Mick Jagger's delivery to the point where it sounds like he's mocking them. They're terrible, but I still appreciate them for how they relate to the actual music.

YourMatt
·
4y
Do you primarily listen to music while you're concentrating on something else? I feel the same as you, and I've concluded that it's a product of rarely being able to concentrate on the lyrics themselves.

m0ng0b0ng0
OP
·
3y
I was just looking over old reddit posts and saw this comment. You're questions were to good to pass over.

My favorite Dylan album is Desire, mainly for the instrumentation which is fairly different from most of his other stuff. But it is kinda funny because it has some of his most famous "story songs" (eg Hurricane, Joey, Sara, Isis).

I listen to music with lyrics because I love vocals. To me they are just another instrument that can produce interesting melodies or can be put together with other things in order to create cool soundscapes. One of my favorite groups is the Beach Boys almost purely because of their vocal work. Its not like I dislike when a song has lyrics, I just don't really care about what is being said.

I love jazz, not so much classical. But its not necessarily more interesting to me due to its lack of lyrics.

sowter
·
4y
I'm the same as you. What I found weirder was an aunt of mine said that they ONLY listen to the lyrics. I just couldn't get my head around it. The rest of the song just washes over them and they don't really notice other instruments individually, or actively pay attention to the harmony, rhythm etc.

Bizarre.

[deleted]
·
4y
Definitely similar feeling from me. Music is first and foremost--if not exclusively--an auditory form of art. If you have to read the lyrics to appreciate the song, I'm not sure it's really worthy of garnering praise. At what point is it no longer a song but rather a poem with some sounds? Sure, you can still appreciate a poem, but if I'm evaluating something as music, I evaluate as much as possible on an auditory level.

WoodpeckerNo1
·
4y
Same, I don't really get the idea of relating to music, either. And every time I do force myself to pay attention to lyrics, they just seem like abstract gibberish, can't make any sense out of them.

15SecNut
·
4y
EXACTLY!! People always complain about music I like because it doesn't have words "it's just beeps and boops". Like dude, you can express way more emotions with beep and boobs than you can with words!

[deleted]
·
4y
For me it’s much more important how the vocals work rhythmically or melodically than lyrically.

A great verse can be ruined for me, even if the words are great, by cramming too many syllables into one bar or stretching out too few syllables, etc.

This is more jarring to me in hip hop or pop music - some other genres have a bit more leeway with me.

level 1
EdEmKay
·
4y
i've always been the same, the first music i ever listened to was early Andy C, Prodigy, whatever DnB my uncle had lying around, i've always hated lyrics. even when i'm listening to hip hop, the words are the last thing i'll pay attention to, i only ever listen to hip hop with interesting instrumentals.

vocals are different though, i love the way someone like James Blake or D'Angelo use their voices as their own instrument and another layer in the track, but i think considering music is an infinite pool of sonic possibility, it's bizarre for people to fixate so much on what someone is saying and not pay as much attention to what's happening musically.

excaliburcat
·
3y
I don’t really care about lyrics, and in fact with certain bands I’m into, I’m more than happy having no idea what the lyrics are.

I listen to a lot of metal and, for the most part, if I feel like putting in the effort and/or I listen to a certain band a lot, I’ll eventually be able to decipher the vocals. Because I usually can’t decipher them at first listen though, that helps me focus more on the sound of the music itself, and if I find I really like a band then I might get curious and wanna know what the lyrics are.

With certain bands though, who make music on the more brutal end of death metal, I usually can’t make out a single word because of the style of guttural unclean vocals they use, and honestly, just based off of what the Metal Archives says their lyrical themes are (for example, one of my favourite band/artist/project’s themes are listed as “sickness, gore, feces, mutilation, sexual sadism”, and another one is listed as “rape, necrophilia, gore (early), murder, vengeance, domination (later)”), I honestly don’t wanna learn what the actual lyrics are. I feel like I’m really not missing out on anything by not knowing what the actual lyrics are in those cases 😂

In other cases, especially with albums I know are concept albums, I might be interested in learning the lyrics and they might add a little to the music for me, but even then they’re not going to be my main focus, and awesome lyrics won’t make a boring song good; I always focus more on how the instruments sound, and even how the vocals sound, but I don’t care as much about what the vocals are actually saying for the most part

level 2
m0ng0b0ng0
OP
·
3y
Yea totally, I feel like my apathy towards lyrics actually helped me get into those genres of extreme metal because although I can't understand the lyrics wouldn't have cared what they meant anyways.

shakejimmy
·
4y
·
edited 4y
In general, words are exacting (or limiting even) and music is open to interpretation and is more personal in interpretation. Giving one example doesn't limit my entire argument to it.

A major chord voiced and orchestrated a certain way is going to give more varied reactions than a word will. At that, the emotions that music can convey to a listener can be richer than words can express, hence my example.

level 1
yodamorsan
·
4y
I'm the exact same way. I appreciate singing in music a lot, however I see it more as if it's another instrument in the band rather than, what others consider, the purpose of the song and what is actually important. A lot of the people I know don't understand why I listen to instrumental music at all, which is just insanity to me.

I'm in kind of the same boat with rap music too. I recently started getting into it because it was one of the few genres I didn't listen to at all and one that was huge. And the same goes for me, I've started liking the beats, flows and such. Especially the way they can construct their lyrics rythimically so well to go along with the instrumental part. I can recommend Jurassic 5 and their album Quality Control, reeeaally good stuff, and Smif-N-Wessun with Dah Shinin' is pretty dope too

level 1
Barncore
·
3y
Yep, this is me to a tee. I feel like a freak among my friends because of it (i'm exaggerating but you get the point). Bob Dylan is even someone i haven't been able to get into either for this reason. I feel like the lyrics are distracting from the magic of the musical ideas. I always just listen to the music and feel the notes of the lyrics rather than listen to the words.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 16, 2021, 1:24:31 AMSep 16
Some more posts from people like me who don't care about lyrics.

"I almost never listen to lyrics, even in songs I love. I prefer instrumental music in almost all cases. Good lyrics do not suddenly make bad music "good." But, good music with bad lyrics is fine with me - I probably wouldn't even notice that the lyrics are "bad" because I just simply don't care.

My wife is always talking about how great such and such song is... when I comment that I don't think it is anything special, she tries to convince me of how deep the meaning is, etc. After 12 years, I think she is finally starting to figure out that I just don't hear words in songs.

A couple of friends of mine were trying to convince me how great Elvis Costello is. I said I just don't like him, he does nothing for me. After forcing me to listen to a whole CD, they were baffled that I still didn't like it - "You don't love the poetry, the storytelling!?" My reply - "You said these were great songs, not great poems. I read poems, I don't listen to them."

DianeE

Sep 16, 2021, 7:09:52 AMSep 16
-----------
All these quotes (and the ones in the other post) are from people like
you, who were "born this way." They *naturally* don't notice the
lyrics, and some of them actually said they prefer instrumentals, or
vocals in a foreign language. It's one way of hearing music, not
necessarily a superior way. You would enjoy a lot more music if you
weren't exquisitely sensitive to the sound of violins, but you were born
that way. You can no more train yourself to ignore violins than someone
else can train themselves to ignore lyrics.

Dennis C from Tennessee

Sep 16, 2021, 7:44:48 AMSep 16

Thank you!!

Tired of hearing about you beeing lyrically listerined at birth and even more weary of you being proud of the defect!!

Your keyhole - sized appreciation of this vast musical universe should be enough to actually disqualify you from these contests, baby!!

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 16, 2021, 9:32:20 AMSep 16
Yes, but Bob and Mark always argued that there's no way that I am not absorbing the lyrics. Yet there are lots of other people who say that they are the same way. Could be it's a left brain / right brain thing, but it's definitely a thing.

md

Sep 16, 2021, 10:06:46 AMSep 16
On Sep 16, 2021 at 12:20:37 AM CDT, "Sav...@aol.com" <Sav...@aol.com> wrote:

> Check out this thread, Mark. I'm not the only one who doesn't
> care about lyrics.

I'm shocked, shocked.

md

Sep 16, 2021, 10:10:36 AMSep 16
Do you ever sing along to a song, or play it in your head If so, you are
hearing the lyrics. Not hearing the l;yrics and not caring what the lyrics are
saying are two different things.

Sav...@aol.com

Sep 16, 2021, 10:44:45 AMSep 16
I've always said I hear them, and they are important phonetically. I just don't ever think about what they are supposed to mean. Unless it's something that is not really music to me, like Alan Sherman stuff.