Counting Crows = REM

bruce higgins

May 9, 1994, 3:23:18 PM5/9/94
Am I the only one that thinks Counting Crows sounds *alot* like REM???

--
L. Bruce Higgins Well I got hip, got wet, with the jet set
LB...@Cornell.edu But they were flying too high to see my point of view

Josh Lawrence

May 9, 1994, 5:20:36 AM5/9/94
In article <lbh2-090...@128.253.151.185>, lb...@cornell.edu (bruce
higgins) wrote:

> Am I the only one that thinks Counting Crows sounds *alot* like REM???

Hmm... Quite possibly

Josh

josh_l...@washcoll.edu

Dave A. Lartigue

May 9, 1994, 9:25:12 PM5/9/94

In a previous article, lb...@cornell.edu (bruce higgins) says:

>Am I the only one that thinks Counting Crows sounds *alot* like REM???

No, I've read that in many an interview. Thing is, I disagree. I really
don't see the REM likeness much at all. As a matter of fact, when I hear
"Round Here" there's only one other song it reminds me of -- "Red Rain"
by Peter Gabriel, especially the end.

I bought CC's album, sound unheard, simply because they were compared to
REM. I like the album, but it's not REM.

Dave

Paul McAleer

May 9, 1994, 9:14:36 PM5/9/94
Bruce,

Nope. As I recall, a review by Entertainment Weekly said that the Crows
were *extremely* similar to R.E.M. in some respects, including attempting
to grab Peter's jangles.

- Paul
(drive...@delphi.com)
"Your Ad Here"

Daniel Owen Koralek

May 10, 1994, 10:17:36 AM5/10/94
I have to agree here. I don't think Counting Crows = REM. However,
I do like the album a lot. They don't have the depth in their songs
that REM does, but then again not many people do. However, I must say
that I find them one of the best bands in the past few years. Their
music is definitely a step up from most new music. They don't rely on
the nasty "Seattle" sound that has been prevolent in new music and it
isn't cheezy synthesized pop. Just my $.02
:) Dan
--
Daniel O. Koralek University of Delaware
e-mail: da...@strauss.udel.edu Physics and Biology

Ron Henry

May 10, 1994, 8:11:10 AM5/10/94
In article <Zk0NkV8.d...@delphi.com>, Paul McAleer
<drive...@delphi.com> wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> Nope. As I recall, a review by Entertainment Weekly said that the Crows
> were *extremely* similar to R.E.M. in some respects, including attempting
> to grab Peter's jangles.
>
> - Paul

The expert opinion of _EW_ notwithstanding, I'd say their lead singer
derived a lot more inspiration from Van Morrison than Michael Stipe.
Jangly-guitar bands are the norm, now.

--
Ron Henry
rg...@cornell.edu

Chintan Kiran Amin

May 10, 1994, 10:23:58 PM5/10/94

higgins) wrote:

> Am I the only one that thinks Counting Crows sounds *alot* like REM???

Nah, you can _understand_ the lyrics to "Mr. Jones" and "'Round Here."

:-) For the Humor Impaired.

--
Chintan Amin ll...@uiuc.edu NeXT Mail: cka5...@sumter.cso.uiuc.edu

"Sometimes, even music cannot substitute for tears." Paul Simon
"The Cool Cool River"

Daniel Glovier

May 11, 1994, 2:09:53 AM5/11/94
lb...@cornell.edu (bruce higgins) writes:

>Am I the only one that thinks Counting Crows sounds *alot* like REM???

>--
>L. Bruce Higgins Well I got hip, got wet, with the jet set

Well, the vocalist from CC sounds exactly like Van Morrison (inflections
and all), there's one major stumbling block. Oh, I suppose they have
some little "jangly" guitar thing happening, but how unusual is that
today? Not very. However, this brings up two points I would like to
bring up about music/music reviews:

1. Just because Rolling "what a piece of crap" Stone says so doesn't
make it so. Form your own opinions.

2. Many people, when discussing music, only analyze the bits of audio
that make music (or in some cases not make music), but totally forget
about the sensual "feel" of the music. Does it grab you and shake you
or is it structured noise that you hear?

My point is that when I hear REM, it grabs me hard and I think, "Now
this is what rock music is all about." Every CC song I heard, the
overall impression I got was, "I guess that was nicely produced.."
and nothing more.

Oh well, that's MHO.

Dan Glovier2. Many people, when discussing music, only analyze the bits of audio
that make music (or in some cases not make music), but totally forget
about the sensual "feel" of the music. Does it grab you and shake you
or is it structured noise that you hear?

My point is that when I hear REM, it grabs me hard and I think, "Now
this is what rock music is all about." Every CC song I heard, the
overall impression I got was, "I guess that was nicely produced.."
and nothing more.

Oh well, that's MHO.

Dan Glovier

Kevin Christopher Cousins

May 10, 1994, 3:55:25 PM5/10/94
I think the music is just that popular jangly guitar sound that
has flourished on the coattails of REM's success. This may
sound odd, but the lead singer sounds a lot like Springsteen
during his early Asbury Park days. Check it out...

Amy

May 10, 1994, 2:45:00 AM5/10/94
Good day good people!

In article <lbh2-090...@128.253.151.185>, lb...@cornell.edu (bruce higgins) writes...

Perhaps...
I, for one, do not think this at all.
You see, it's a simple concept...
REM is a very, very, very good band with a lot of "tenure" in the music
industry, many fantastic records that have all sold well, and songs that have
no doubt influenced many people.
Counting Crows just plain suck.

Just my opinion, of course... :)
Amy v133...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu *GO SPEED RACER GO!*

Frank Palcat

May 12, 1994, 11:20:32 AM5/12/94

In a previous article, lb...@cornell.edu (bruce higgins) says:

>Am I the only one that thinks Counting Crows sounds *alot* like REM???

To paraphrase Kelly Bundy, "R.E.M. are the Beatles of the 20th century."

yopu

May 13, 1994, 11:41:56 AM5/13/94
Subject: Re: Counting Crows = REM
From: Dave A. Lartigue, lart...@prairienet.org
Date: 10 May 1994 01:25:12 GMT
In article <2qmnpo$j...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> Dave A. Lartigue,

I think that "Rain King" sounds a LOT like REM.

Chris

Marty Chester

May 13, 1994, 9:24:03 AM5/13/94
Speaking of Counting Crows and REM, in the Current issueof Musician Magazine,
there isa long interview with Adam Duritz, lead singer of CC. From what he
says about CC, their attitude sounds a lot like early REM's "CC isn't a band
great at playing instruments, but great at playing songs." Sound Familar,
Pete Buck? Also, Duritz expressed his ambivalence about becoming hugely
famous, stating that "REM did it right" he spoke about how REm built up its
own fan base, and then became famous on its own terms--and now can do pretty
much whatever it wants, and people will buy it becuase it's not crap designed
only to sell. "I'd buy REM albums forever," he said. If you like CC at all,
it's a great interview.

Marty Chester

John Zaozirny

May 13, 1994, 9:33:38 PM5/13/94
I think the reason why people relate REM and Counting Crows is the way that
both of the singer from the bands, tend to , i don't know, move around a lot
in their songs. I saw a SNL where REM was playing and Micheal Stipes didn't
touch the microphone the whole time. He just waved his hands arounds it. The
singer of counting crows (Adam West?) in the video "Mr. Jones" seems to move
the same way too. They don't cradle the microphone like Bono and they aren't
doing anything, just singing.

ST10...@brownvm.brown.edu

May 13, 1994, 10:22:10 PM5/13/94
JUST a note about the frequent surveys, I don't mean to be a curmudgeon, but
take a look at the FAQ (frequently asked questions file) please, and you'll see
why polls on the group can be annoying. Can people stop asking for polls? Or
if you must, have the mail sent to YOU.

thanks,

Marty Chester

rho...@utkvx.utk.edu

May 15, 1994, 2:55:14 PM5/15/94

Holy Crows, Batman!
Adam West was the star of the campy (I love that word) 60's show, the Crow is
Adam Duritz.

Just making a funny,
Robby

In Article <Cprqu...@iceonline.com>

Lawrence R. Dodd

May 16, 1994, 8:38:50 AM5/16/94
::: "FP" == Frank Palcat <ac...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> writes:

FP> In a previous article, lb...@cornell.edu (bruce higgins) says:

>> Am I the only one that thinks Counting Crows sounds *alot* like REM???

FP> To paraphrase Kelly Bundy, "R.E.M. are the Beatles of the 20th century."

I was listening to a lot of "Counting Crows" recently and decided that they
sound a lot like "The Call" too.

D. A. Smead

May 26, 1994, 5:47:08 PM5/26/94
Lawrence R. Dodd (do...@roebling.poly.edu) wrote:

Counting Crows reminds me more of 5/8 than anyone else. The lead singer seems
to be doing a (pretty good) impression of Mike Mantione.

-- David

kurt scaletta

May 27, 1994, 10:09:08 AM5/27/94
The Crows sound like the !@#$%!@$@# Counting Crows!!

This is the stupidest thread invented by man.

Paul Martini

May 27, 1994, 10:19:58 AM5/27/94
The Counting Crowes remind me a little bit like REM and a little bit more of Bob Seager! Nonetheless, I think August... is incredible.

# Paul Martini, # Maildrop: IL02/2624 #
# Engineering Computer Systems, # SMTP E-Mail: pa...@comm.mot.com #
# Motorola - LMPS # #
# 1301 E. Algonquin Rd. # Phone: 708/576-5506 #
# Schaumburg, Il 60196 # Fax: 708/538-3630 #

towil...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2018, 5:59:44 PM8/1/18
Actually their "Colorblind" song won me over like a great rem song did in its day. The mood, sadness and inspiration all worked.

Great comparisson imo...TW- towil.bandcamp.com