Bill Berry Vocals?

Cassie Doyon

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96

I'm curious, has Bill Berry sang lead vocals on any songs throughout
REM's history? If so, what songs, and what songs is his vocals dominant
in back-up?

Cassie

George A Pasles

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

Cassie Doyon (cmd...@tiac.net) wrote:
: I'm curious, has Bill Berry sang lead vocals on any songs throughout

: REM's history? If so, what songs, and what songs is his vocals dominant
: in back-up?

: Cassie

You can hear him real clearly on I Walked WIth A Zombie (he sings a
verse). I think it's from the automatic box. He's pretty audible in Fall
on me: "it's gonna fall" during the chorus. Also, if you have a stereo
with a balance control, you can hear him on some of the Chronic town
songs; he and Mike Mills are split to left and right during their
Carnival of Sorts and Wolves, Lower backing vocals. He's got a great
voice, maybe sort of country-ish. I'd like to hear more lead from him and
Mike Mills. Maybe I'm just being bad...

Erin Kathleen Furey

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

In <51eql2$o...@netnews.upenn.edu> gapa...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu (George

I really like Mike Mills. His vocals on back up are terrific, in my
opinion...which I'm sure is not shared by everyone! He's by far my
favorite member of the band...does he sing back up or anything on the
new album>? Just curious
erin

Duy Chinh Nguyen

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

George A Pasles <gapa...@mail2.sas.upenn.edu> wrote:

>You can hear him real clearly on I Walked WIth A Zombie (he sings a
>verse). I think it's from the automatic box. He's pretty audible in Fall
>on me: "it's gonna fall" during the chorus. He's got a great voice,

>maybe sort of country-ish. I'd like to hear more lead from him and
>Mike Mills. Maybe I'm just being bad...

And who can forget Bill's "Hey la, hey la, ho-o" from Man on the Moon?

I'd like to hear more songs where Mike sings lead, too!

peter

kevin c welch

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

]Cassie Doyon (cmd...@tiac.net) wrote:
]: I'm curious, has Bill Berry sang lead vocals on any songs throughout
]: REM's history? If so, what songs, and what songs is his vocals dominant
]: in back-up?

Did Bill sing the Ballad of Cat Ballou? Or was that Mills?

pK

_____kevin c welch________________________________vote_
Virtuality & Artistry
http://www.genesisproject.com: soon

F3021

Sep 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/14/96

The only thing I can even guess at which might have Berry lead vocals is
"Good King Wenceslas" which was even rumored once that he recorded all by
himself (which I kind of doubt). His voice is at least very prominent on
that one. He also sings "Its gonna fall" in the back during the chorus of
"Fall on Me" and he helped Stipe out with Catapult when they used to do it
live (after Stipe jumped to sing the words 'Did we miss anything?' a
little higher.
-F

plowboy

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

Cassie Doyon <cmd...@tiac.net> wrote:
>I'm curious, has Bill Berry sang lead vocals on any songs throughout
>REM's history? If so, what songs, and what songs is his vocals dominant
>in back-up?

I walked with a zombie.....bill is doing a vocal solo....near the end.
rumor has it the last voice is peter's...but I'm not too sure about that one.
plowboy

matt

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

In article <96261.0135...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU>,
plowboy <JLOC...@MAINE.MAINE.EDU> wrote:

I always assumed that the voice everyone thinks is Bill on 'I
Walked...', is actually John Keane. He does play the guitar solo and he
helped produce the song. I kind of always pictured them all standing around
a microphone with guitars and stepping up to sing that part, while Bill just
played the drums.
I say this because it does not sound like Bill's singing on 'Spooky'
on the April 3, 1991 L.A. radio tape. Just my opinion.
As for the final voice, my guess is that it is Peter.

--Matt

Chaos Harlequin

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

er...@ix.netcom.com(Erin Kathleen Furey) wrote:

>I really like Mike Mills. His vocals on back up are terrific, in my
>opinion...which I'm sure is not shared by everyone!

I dunno about that...IMHO, a lot of REM songs wouldn't be nearly what
they are without Mike's backup vocals. Off the top of my head: the
backing vocals during the chorus of ITEOTW are kick-ass.

Hotchka

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

>I'm curious, has Bill Berry sang lead vocals on any songs throughout
REM's >history? If so, what songs, and what songs is his vocals dominant
in back-up?

>Cassie

Bill Berry's never been the lead vocal on any REM song that I know of, but
in 1988 he put out a solo single under the "name" 13111. It was called "My
Bible is the Latest TV Guide"/"Things I'd Like to Say". It was released on
REM's former manager's record label Doggone. I've never heard it, but I'd
really like to someday.

Shelby
Hot...@aol.com

KDKiunke

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Where is this "I walked with a zombie?" it's not in the auto box, I assume
its on a boot, which one is it, please, and by the way, which are the best
boot CDs to get?
I've seen a bunch, but at $30 a pop, I'd like your opinions first
thanks a bunch
kenneth

gracie

Sep 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/27/96

It's on the Roky Erickson Tribute Album... it's funny because that
song was on this tape that was sent to us by corporate when i worked
at the limited.... we had special tapes that wouldn't play audio
cassettes, and these tapes wouldn't fit in your average player so to
find that song on it was crazy. It's still available I believe, but
you might have to order it... there's not much of a demand for it. If
you get it... check out the track Bermuda by Vibrating Egg...
Jefferson Holt is singing... horribly I might add

ZookandMax

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

"Zombie" came out in 1990 on WHERE THE PYRAMID MEETS THE EYE, a tribute to
Roky Erickson. I haven't seen it in 6 years...but I still got it, Eddie!
Boop boop a doop!

dave prokopy

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

kdki...@aol.com (KDKiunke) wrote:

>Where is this "I walked with a zombie?"

it's from the roky erkison tribute album, _where the pyramid meets the
eye_. it's out of print, so it might be a bit difficult to find these
days.

--
<+> dave prokopy <+> pro...@iquest.net <+> http://www.iquest.net/~prokopy <+>
<+> "see ya, don't wanna be ya. lunch meat. pond scum." <+>

Randy Simmons

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96
to dave prokopy

To whoever it was that was searching for the Roky Erikson tribute
album, I got it a few months ago from BMG for like $5.99 Check it
out!!

Randy Simmons
Wright State Univ.
Dayton, OH.

J W Allison

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96
to Randy Simmons

For Bill Berry vocals, what about the Thirteen One Eleven project? Or
has somebody said this?

As in 13 1 11 = BILL (Sort of)

Have a look in It Crawled From the South, a very handy book.

JOHN A

PS Sorry I killed martin Sheen

nois...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2018, 12:00:47 PM4/23/18
On Friday, 13 September 1996 09:00:00 UTC+2, Cassie Doyon wrote:
> I'm curious, has Bill Berry sang lead vocals on any songs throughout
> REM's history? If so, what songs, and what songs is his vocals dominant
> in back-up?
>
> Cassie

Bill sings the "dreams, they complement my life" response to Michael's "complicate" line in the chorus to Get Up.

In the 25th anniversary edition of Out Of Time, you can hear Berry sing a whole verse of the Radio Song demo.

Of course, that came out 20 years after you asked this question...

DD

jhunter...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2018, 12:23:28 AM7/22/18
hahah, I came here looking to see if BB was the one singing in the radio song demo after i heard it, didnt expect to see someone reply to a 22 year old thread.

pau...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2018, 2:21:13 AM10/9/18
On Friday, September 13, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Cassie Doyon wrote:
> I'm curious, has Bill Berry sang lead vocals on any songs throughout
> REM's history? If so, what songs, and what songs is his vocals dominant
> in back-up?
>
> Cassie

I may have missed the reply with the format, but a huge oversight is his backup in the chorus of Harborcoat. For the longest time, I had no idea there were three parts and only thought it was Stipe and Mills, but there are actually three distinct parts (best I've been able to determine; I know the exact words are still up for debate):

MS: Please find my harborcoat...Can't go outside without it.
MM: Please help me...Wear My Coat
BB: This Harborcoat is hard on me...Harborcoat is long whoah-oah.

I love Mills, and he gets a lot of well-deserved credit for his vocal interplay with Stipe, but Bill gave even further depth for a lot of songs that gets overlooked.