Any bands "similar" to REM out there?

309 views
Skip to first unread message

Gary Wolgast

unread,
Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
to
I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any bands who have a
similar style to R.E.M? I love R.E.M.'s music but I've already bought
all but 3 of their albums (and those will likely be bought within the
next few months). No band could ever replace them, but I'm looking to
expand out to other groups that are musically and lyrically similar. My
youth was spend in the late 70's - mid 80's and I had almost completely
lost touch with the music scene until just last year.

Does anybody have any suggestions? If anyone knows music, it's you
people. Heaping mountains of thanks in advance.

Ben Tolsky

unread,
Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
to
I suggest listening to Mama Tongue. At first it may seem really
different but give it a few listens, then you will know for sure they
aren't at all like R.E.M.

Ben Tolsky

Evan

unread,
Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
to
Well in my opinion lots of bands sound like R.E.M. but my favorite is
Better than Ezra. Especially the first 2 albums, Deluxe is my
personal favorite, lots of good songs there. The second album
Friction, Baby is also very good, heavier than the Deluxe but just as
good. The third album "How Does Your Garden Grow?" isn't as good in
my opinion, lots of experimentation, many good songs but not quite a
great album. Definetely check them out.


Evan

"You will feel my anger
You will feel my pain
You will feel my torment
Driving you insane
I can't fight these feelings
They will bring you pain
You can't take away
I'll be whole again" ~ Staind "Mudshovel"

Jonas Downey

unread,
Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
to
Hmm...personally I like Garden a lot better than Friction, Baby. Maybe
cause I dig all those electronic bleeps and whatnot. All 3 are great,
though.
jonas


Evan <aolha...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:38ac7924...@news.mindspring.com...

Ze Monsta

unread,
Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
to
On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:45:51 GMT, aolha...@yahoo.com (Evan) mumbled:

>Well in my opinion lots of bands sound like R.E.M. but my favorite is
>Better than Ezra. Especially the first 2 albums, Deluxe is my
>personal favorite, lots of good songs there. The second album
>Friction, Baby is also very good, heavier than the Deluxe but just as
>good. The third album "How Does Your Garden Grow?" isn't as good in
>my opinion, lots of experimentation, many good songs but not quite a
>great album. Definetely check them out.
>
>

Does Better Than Ezra sound like R.E.M.???!!! I used to really like them, when Deluxe came out.
(At the time I was in my Soul Asylum/Pearl Jam/U2/Nirvana phase....) But I haven't listened to them
at all for at least 3 years.... I think I still have Deluxe somewhere... hmmm...

- k a t e y

+ cellophane is thicker than it seems
+ put it on
+ and don't ask what it means
+ parade around

- http://zemonster.tripod.com
- http://altern.org/obitbday

ZEN WOK

unread,
Feb 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/18/00
to
www.mp3.com/asimko
That's my band's address. I think some of the newer stuff we're writing sounds
a bit like R.E.M., although that stuff has yet to be posted on the site.

Greedo

unread,
Feb 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/18/00
to
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Live suck. That is just my opinion. But if you like Christian Rock(the
cliched kind of christian rock) that is what Live sound like.

I think you should tell us your favourite REM album(s) so we can recommend
bands that sound like diff-era REM.

If you like Monster you'll probly like Nirvana.

Speaking of Christian Rock, my brothers bands guitarist left to form a
Christian death metal band. That is true.

-dj


--
"You can't be anal retentive if you don't have an anus."

To earn lots of money just by using the internet:

http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HGF-037

or http://www.getpaid4.com/?djgreedp
VoiceOfHarold <clau...@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
news:lc%q4.1058$F4.3...@news010.image.dk...
> I suggest a band called "Better Than Ezra" or maybe "Live". Their style
have
> some similarities, but I think that the music of R.E.M. in many senses is
> unique. So get out a buy those last 3 records, before you start buying the
> singles/b-sides and look for some good bootlegs....
>
> ------
> "Chill bumps appear and I am frozen in the web"

VWbus1975

unread,
Feb 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/19/00
to
>Gary Wolgast wrote in message <38AC5DE2...@email.ais.unc.edu>...

>>I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any bands who have a
>>similar style to R.E.M? .

Hmmm. I always thought Toad The Wet Sprocket was rem-ish.

There's always Grapes of Wrath (a band from the 80's that you may have to buy
on vinyl) who's "Treehouse" is awesome.

Don't forget about the Byrds!!!

Lyrically I find Wilco to be almost as good as REM.

Just dug through my vinyl and found the following:

The Feelies: The Good Earth (produced by Peter and available on cd)
The Connells- Boylan Heights and Fun & Games are all I own by them. (both
should be on cd also)

Also do a search for REM on www.allmusic.com and check out the similar artist
list.

Hope that helps!

*plowboy*
"Let the music carry you away"-REM
"If you understand, things are just as they are; If you do not understand,
things are just as they are." - Zen Verse

Tad Schirz

unread,
Feb 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/19/00
to
A lot of R.E.M. fans right now would probably give a nod to 'Fountains
of Wayne' and their recent album, 'Suburban Utopia.'

I also dug up my 80s list and these are a couple favorites:

Game Theory: Two Steps From the Middle Ages
Let's Active: Every Dog has his Day

Mitch Easter produced Murmur. He is singer/guitarist of Let's Active,
although I don't think they are together anymore. Neither is Game
Theory.


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

van Leeuwen

unread,
Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
to
Has anybody thought of the British band Gomez? Maybe they're not musically
or lyrically very the same, but their mentality is kinda like REM's. they do
what they want and all... and until now they're bringing out records every
year!
they have the same kind of spirit around them like REM, not listening to
anyone but themselves. they are anyhow a super good band.

Dirk-Jan

Hank

unread,
Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
to
On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:13:55 GMT, Tad Schirz <just...@execpc.com>
yelled 'Everybody knows that the bird is the word!' before typing:

>Game Theory: Two Steps From the Middle Ages
>Let's Active: Every Dog has his Day
>
>Mitch Easter produced Murmur. He is singer/guitarist of Let's Active,
>although I don't think they are together anymore. Neither is Game
>Theory.

A big woo-hoo for the very wonderful Game Theory and their mainman
Scott Miller from the Hankster too. You're correct in saying that
Game Theory split up but the albums that Scott did as The Loud Family
are well worth a listen. 'Planes and birds and rocks and things' is
my favourite (and, eerily, this album was produced by Mitch Easter)
and contains the stonkingly good 'Jimmy still comes around'.

When Scott was in the UK in December 1991 he played a single gig at
the Mean Fiddler Acoustic Room in Harlesden, London.. The guitar that
he used for the show was the Hankster's Takamine G330. True story.

I also took the opportunity of asking him about the experience of
working with Mitch Easter at the Drive-In Studio when he was recording
the Game Theory stuff. There was nothing particularly salacious or
revelatory in his stories (so I won't bore you with them here!) but he
did say that he'd asked Mitch Easter about the lyrics to the chorus to
Sitting Still. The version that Mitch gave to Scott were different
again to most every other one that I've ever read!


Hank
---
"They look up to you for no reason other than you know
how to play four chords on the guitar and you've got
a nifty haircut." - Peter Buck

Hank

unread,
Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
to
On 19 Feb 2000 21:42:16 GMT, vwbu...@aol.com (VWbus1975) yelled

'Everybody knows that the bird is the word!' before typing:

>>I also dug up my 80s list and these are a couple favorites:
>>


>>Game Theory: Two Steps From the Middle Ages
>

>Game Theory, yes indeed!!! I've only found "Real Nighttime" and find that a
>pleasure to listen to. Incidentally, it's produced by Mitch Easter.


>>Mitch Easter produced Murmur. He is singer/guitarist of Let's Active,
>>although I don't think they are together anymore.
>

>I don't think they are either, but Mitch Easter is still producing some great
>albums.
>
>>Neither is Game Theory.

The Game Theory albums occasionally turn up in bargain bins in the UK.
Game Theory meant diddley squat here, probably the same in the US I
fear. AFAIK none of their material is available on CD which is a
tragedy.

>Nope, but Scott Miller (singer, songwriter, and guitarist I think) now heads
>The Loud Family. Most of their albums are in print whereas Game Theory's
>aren't. =(

See my other comments about The Loud Family. Scott was indeed the
singer songwriter and guitarist in both bands and a hugely talented
individual he was/is to be sure. Jozef Becker drummed in the band for
a while. His previous band was the criminally underrated Thin White
Rope whose praises I've sung here before.

When Scott was in the UK in 1991 (see the other post of mine) we were
having one of our 'home gigs' with all of my friends I had at the time
that played in bands. Scott came round to the house for the evening
and played about three or four songs on my acoustic. I always think
that it's the hardest test for a performer to sing his/her songs with
an acoustic. No amps, bass, drums, keyboards, harmonies, multi-tracks
etc etc just the voice and the guitar. Suffice to say that the folks
in the room - including me - sat open mouthed watching this guy whack
his songs out to a group of folks that he's only just met. He did
the Big Star song 'Back of a car', 'Jimmy still comes around' which
later turned up on a Loud Family, and another couple that I
disremember. There's a tape of this somewhere in my tape boxes.
After I've watched the Leeds:Man Utd game this afternoon, I'll maybe
go and dig it out.

>Another couple of REM-ish bands/artists:
>
>Guadalcanal Diary (I can't belive Hank let me leave these guys out) "Walking In
>The Shadows of The Big Man" and "Jamboree" are very REM influenced.

I love Guadalcanal Diary to be sure - as plowboy well knows :-) - but
I can't hear any huge similarity between them and REM. Not even
Walking in the shadows... which I only played a couple of weeks ago
incidentally. Well, I suppose they use Rickenbackers and 12
strings...

>and Don Dixon has a couple of good albums out (actually, I'm not sure if any
>are available on cd anymore) and he produced REM also.
>
Don Dixon's 'Most of the girls like to dance...' album is OK I
suppose. A bit retro country-soul-ish. Worth a listen I suppose but
I'd be surprised if it's still available.

>Anyone mention The db's?
>
>The Smithereens?

Two excellent bands to be sure. I think that the Smithereens had a
new album out recently?

Heading backwards, the Velvet Underground, Patti Smith and Television
had as much influence on REM in the early days as anyone else. If you
haven't heard them, you ought to :-)

There was a cringingly embarrassing band in the UK called the Cherry
Blades who tried to emulate the Murmurs/Reckoning/Fables sound. I
suppose they did it pretty well FWIW but there seemed to be little
point. Anyone remember them?

Joey Odorisio

unread,
Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
to

Yeah, I have to get my ticket to see them in Philly ASAP.

Bands that have a similar sound...I believe Jeff already said Toad the
Wet Sprocket and Wilco. Anybody mention Counting Crows? There was that whole
"Adam Duritz wears a Monster t-shirt!!" thread so someone probably did.
Radiohead anybody? :)

--
JOEY ODORISIO Spirali...@prodigy.net
http://pages.prodigy.net/spiraling_shape/
"I`m not scared, I`m outta here." - R.E.M., Electrolite

HelenL2468

unread,
Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
to
In article <f7kvasg1nn6nfl0tq...@4ax.com>, Hank
<henry...@SPAMBLOCKvirgin.net> writes:

>You're correct in saying that
>Game Theory split up but the albums that Scott did as The Loud Family
>are well worth a listen. 'Planes and birds and rocks and things' is
>my favourite (and, eerily, this album was produced by Mitch Easter)
>and contains the stonkingly good 'Jimmy still comes around'.
>

Yes Hank that is a killer record. I personally like it more than any of the
Game Theory albums and sadly think it beats all the other Loud Family albums
too though they are all worth a listen.

Helen

Mosca

unread,
Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
to
Georgiana Cohen wrote:
>
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:13:55 GMT, Tad Schirz <just...@execpc.com> brought a guitar into rec.music.rem and sang this song:
> : A lot of R.E.M. fans right now would probably give a nod to 'Fountains

> : of Wayne' and their recent album, 'Suburban Utopia.'
>
> Just for the record, FoW's most recent album is entitled 'Utopia Parkway',
> and yes, it absolutely rocks.

Agreed, but I really don't think they sound anything like R.E.M. It's a great
album, though, and the person who made the original query should look into it.

Mosca

--
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly
useless manner, then you have learned how to live."
-- Lin Yutang

Ross Thomas

unread,
Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
to
The Byrds sound a bit like R.E.M, mainly due to Buck's guitar work.
--
Ross Thomas


"I trust everything will turn out alright" - Roger McGuinn The Byrds

Mikarr785

unread,
Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
to
>> : A lot of R.E.M. fans right now would probably give a nod to 'Fountains
>> : of Wayne' and their recent album, 'Suburban Utopia.'

>> Just for the record, FoW's most recent album is entitled 'Utopia Parkway',
>> and yes, it absolutely rocks.

I was going to correct the original poster on the title as well, but since I
went around calling the thing "Utopia Boulevard" for the first week I had it, I
didn't feel I had the right.

>Agreed, but I really don't think they sound anything like R.E.M. It's a
>great
>album, though, and the person who made the original query should look into
>it.
>
>Mosca

I agree all around. Great record, but far "poppier" than most R.E.M.

In a not-too-dissimilar vein, people might also enjoy Remy Zero's Villa Elaine.
Another rock-solid pop-rock collection.


Jody Rosen

unread,
Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
to
Gary Wolgast wrote:

> I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any bands who have a

> similar style to R.E.M? I love R.E.M.'s music but I've already bought
> all but 3 of their albums (and those will likely be bought within the
> next few months). No band could ever replace them, but I'm looking to
> expand out to other groups that are musically and lyrically similar. My
> youth was spend in the late 70's - mid 80's and I had almost completely
> lost touch with the music scene until just last year.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions? If anyone knows music, it's you
> people. Heaping mountains of thanks in advance.

Uncle Tupelo, and one of its offshoot bands, Son Volt, have a sort of
R.E.M.-ish sound.

van Leeuwen

unread,
Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
to
Hey, thanks for the info. I bought their album and like it very much. They
also remind me of Placebo. Maybe that's another band somehow like R.E.M.?

Dirk-Jan

jms_pi...@my-deja.com

unread,
Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
to
In article <38AC5DE2...@email.ais.unc.edu>,

Gary Wolgast <es...@email.ais.unc.edu> wrote:
> I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any bands who have a
> similar style to R.E.M?

Brian Eno has some stuff that sounds just like "Airportman".

:JMSPINAFORE:

Gary Wolgast

unread,
Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
to
VWbus1975 wrote:
>
> >Gary Wolgast wrote in message <38AC5DE2...@email.ais.unc.edu>...
> >>I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any bands who have a
> >>similar style to R.E.M? .
>
> Hmmm. I always thought Toad The Wet Sprocket was rem-ish.
>
> There's always Grapes of Wrath (a band from the 80's that you may have to buy
> on vinyl) who's "Treehouse" is awesome.
>
> Don't forget about the Byrds!!!
>
> Lyrically I find Wilco to be almost as good as REM.
>
> Just dug through my vinyl and found the following:
>
> The Feelies: The Good Earth (produced by Peter and available on cd)
> The Connells- Boylan Heights and Fun & Games are all I own by them. (both
> should be on cd also)
>
> Also do a search for REM on www.allmusic.com and check out the similar artist
> list.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> *plowboy*
> "Let the music carry you away"-REM
> "If you understand, things are just as they are; If you do not understand,
> things are just as they are." - Zen Verse

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I went out and got "Toad the Wet
Sprocket's "In light Syrup". I figured a compilation album would be a
good start. They're pretty good, but none of the songs really grabbed
my like R.E.M's did. I got it at the used store so I didn't pay alot
for it. I'll stay in my rotation, though. I think I've realized I got
about the last 10 years of music history to filter through. Yee Ha!

Jeff Raymond

unread,
Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
to
Gary Wolgast wrote:

> Thanks for all the good suggestions. I went out and got "Toad the Wet
> Sprocket's "In light Syrup". I figured a compilation album would be a
> good start. They're pretty good, but none of the songs really grabbed
> my like R.E.M's did. I got it at the used store so I didn't pay alot
> for it. I'll stay in my rotation, though. I think I've realized I got
> about the last 10 years of music history to filter through. Yee Ha!

"In Light Syrup" is the TTWS version of "Dead Letter Office" without
the Aerosmith covers and "Bandwagon." For a good taste, they just put
out a greatest hits-type package called "P.S." which has some of their
bigger hits. Or just grab "Dulcinea," their best record (IMO!)

-Jeff

--
Name : Jeff Raymond
WWW : http://evilcow.realmx.org
e-mail: evi...@ix.netcom.com
quote : "We just like the dots" - Michael Stipe on R.E.M.'s name.

shawn

unread,
Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
to
You can't forget The Tragically Hip. Essential CDs are Day for Night and
Fully Completely


Gary Wolgast <es...@email.ais.unc.edu> wrote in message
news:38B3EBE...@email.ais.unc.edu...


> VWbus1975 wrote:
> >
> > >Gary Wolgast wrote in message <38AC5DE2...@email.ais.unc.edu>...
> > >>I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any bands who have a
> > >>similar style to R.E.M? .
> >
> > Hmmm. I always thought Toad The Wet Sprocket was rem-ish.
> >
> > There's always Grapes of Wrath (a band from the 80's that you may have
to buy
> > on vinyl) who's "Treehouse" is awesome.
> >
> > Don't forget about the Byrds!!!
> >
> > Lyrically I find Wilco to be almost as good as REM.
> >
> > Just dug through my vinyl and found the following:
> >
> > The Feelies: The Good Earth (produced by Peter and available on cd)
> > The Connells- Boylan Heights and Fun & Games are all I own by them.
(both
> > should be on cd also)
> >
> > Also do a search for REM on www.allmusic.com and check out the similar
artist
> > list.
> >
> > Hope that helps!
> >
> > *plowboy*
> > "Let the music carry you away"-REM
> > "If you understand, things are just as they are; If you do not
understand,
> > things are just as they are." - Zen Verse
>

Georgiana Cohen

unread,
Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
to
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 23:23:09 -0500, Jeff Raymond <evi...@ix.netcom.com> brought a guitar into rec.music.rem and sang this song:
: Gary Wolgast wrote:

:> Thanks for all the good suggestions. I went out and got "Toad the Wet


:> Sprocket's "In light Syrup". I figured a compilation album would be a
:> good start. They're pretty good, but none of the songs really grabbed
:> my like R.E.M's did. I got it at the used store so I didn't pay alot
:> for it. I'll stay in my rotation, though. I think I've realized I got
:> about the last 10 years of music history to filter through. Yee Ha!

: "In Light Syrup" is the TTWS version of "Dead Letter Office" without

: the Aerosmith covers and "Bandwagon." For a good taste, they just put
: out a greatest hits-type package called "P.S." which has some of their
: bigger hits. Or just grab "Dulcinea," their best record (IMO!)

Mmmm.. I have been having Toad nostalgia as of late, listened to 'Bread
and Circus' this morning.. I think I might be inclined to agree with you
as far as 'Dulcinea' is concerned, if only for 'Fly From Heaven', 'Windmills',
and 'Crowing'. Lordy, is that good music!

np: R.E.M., Murmur, 'West of the Fields'

--
*------------------------[ http://rhysa.8m.com ]-------------------------*
|"It's the damage that Georgiana Cohen |
| we do and never know, gvc...@bu.edu |
| it's the words Boston University |
| that we don't say College of Communication, 2001 |
| that scare me so." AOL: Rhysa814 |
| -Elvis Costello ICQ: 7297847 |
*-------[ http://neverforget.8k.com | http://rhysa.diaryland.com ]-------*

Tim Farrow

unread,
Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
to
Listen to the new Wilco- Summer Teeth. Definitely has a REM feel to it.

Chris Brown <CBr...@the-piss.kenaud.dircon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:38af0...@newsread3.dircon.co.uk...
>
> van Leeuwen <d.le...@hccnet.nl> wrote in message
> news:88m563$jqf$1...@news.hccnet.nl...
> > How about Idlewild's previous album. Is that any good? Or anything like
>
> Yes. One of the best debuts this decade, if you count it as a debut.
>
> > R.E.M.?
>
> Only slightly. The lyrical style is similar (at least to these untrained
> ears) and it's often similarly hard to tell what the actual words are.
> Musically some tracks (the single When I Argue I See Shapes, for instance)
> are very R.E.M.-like but some of the others are more two-minute thrashes;
> they're pretty damn good two-minute thrashes though. I suppose it's a bit
> like what R.E.M. might have done had they grown up listening to Sonic
Youth
> and especially Nirvana, although that's only a theoretical position of
> course.
>
> Chris
>
>
>

Jeff Raymond

unread,
Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
to
Georgiana Cohen wrote:

>
> Mmmm.. I have been having Toad nostalgia as of late, listened to 'Bread
> and Circus' this morning.. I think I might be inclined to agree with you
> as far as 'Dulcinea' is concerned, if only for 'Fly From Heaven', 'Windmills',
> and 'Crowing'. Lordy, is that good music!
>
> np: R.E.M., Murmur, 'West of the Fields'
>

Have you heard the "Acoustic House Party?" My favorite TTWS song of
all time, "Fall Down" is done acoustically, along with "Nanci," some-
thing's always wrong, and a couple others. It's a short EP-type thing,
worth the $6 if you can track it down.

Georgiana Cohen

unread,
Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
to
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:47:33 -0500, Jeff Raymond <evi...@ix.netcom.com> brought a guitar into rec.music.rem and sang this song:

: Have you heard the "Acoustic House Party?" My favorite TTWS song of


: all time, "Fall Down" is done acoustically, along with "Nanci," some-
: thing's always wrong, and a couple others. It's a short EP-type thing,
: worth the $6 if you can track it down.

Of course :) My boyfriend got it for me. It's relatively easy to find.
I've seen it in bargain bins and the like.

I also broke out 'Pale' this evening. Mmmm... nostalgia.
It still stings that I never got to see one of my favorite bands live :(

--
*------------------------[ http://rhysa.8m.com ]-------------------------*
|"It's the damage that Georgiana Cohen |
| we do and never know, gvc...@bu.edu |
| it's the words Boston University |
| that we don't say College of Communication, 2001 |
| that scare me so." AOL: Rhysa814 |
| -Elvis Costello ICQ: 7297847 |
*-------[ http://neverforget.8k.com | http://rhysa.diaryland.com ]-------*

* "High Fidelity" Radio on http://www.bu.edu/wtbu Mondays 3pm to 5pm *

Joey Odorisio

unread,
Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
to

> : Have you heard the "Acoustic House Party?" My favorite TTWS song of
> : all time, "Fall Down" is done acoustically, along with "Nanci," some-

Ooh, Fall Down is also my favorite Toad song.

> I also broke out 'Pale' this evening. Mmmm... nostalgia.
> It still stings that I never got to see one of my favorite bands live :(

:( They`re my best friend`s favorite band and he was lucky enough to see
them once on their last time through here, he was right up front and hung
around afterwards and met Glen. He also saw Glen on a solo tour with 3 other
singer-songwriter types. I did get to see TTWS once, at the 1st Y100
Fez-tival and was quite impressed. They were a very good band, and one of
the best R.E.M.-influenced bands of the `90`s.

michele

unread,
Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
to

> Gary Wolgast <es...@email.ais.unc.edu> wrote in message
> news:38B3EBE...@email.ais.unc.edu...
> > VWbus1975 wrote:
> > >
> > > >Gary Wolgast wrote in message
<38AC5DE2...@email.ais.unc.edu>...
> > > >>I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any bands who have a
> > > >>similar style to R.E.M? .
> > >
> > > Hmmm. I always thought Toad The Wet Sprocket was rem-ish.
> > >
> > > There's always Grapes of Wrath (a band from the 80's that you may have
> to buy
> > > on vinyl) who's "Treehouse" is awesome.
> > >
> > > Don't forget about the Byrds!!!
> > >

Oh can you tell this answer is just so, so late?

In case anyone cares to know....

re: Grapes of Wrath: all their albums are available on CD up here in Canada.
Because Canadian distributors really suck (evil corporate machines love
deleting back-catalogue), I'd guess that if they're available here, they're
available Stateside as well. There's a hit collection among their five or so
studio albums. Check them out on Napster, once in a while one can find
something there.

michele.

Zebra Corp.

unread,
Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
to
Stone Roses and Smiths, I'd say.

--
- Zebra Corp.

sle...@gmail.com

unread,
Sep 6, 2016, 2:14:07 PM9/6/16
to
On Thursday, February 17, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Gary Wolgast wrote:
> I'm wondering if any of you know if there are any bands who have a
> similar style to R.E.M? I love R.E.M.'s music but I've already bought
> all but 3 of their albums (and those will likely be bought within the
> next few months). No band could ever replace them, but I'm looking to
> expand out to other groups that are musically and lyrically similar. My
> youth was spend in the late 70's - mid 80's and I had almost completely
> lost touch with the music scene until just last year.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions? If anyone knows music, it's you
> people. Heaping mountains of thanks in advance.

Ok well I know one artist that writes and sounds like Stipe and therefore can't be overlooked. His name is Josh Joplin or the Josh Joplin Group he also did an album that is more accustic called Among the Ash & Oak...it doesn't hurt that I usd to watch him perform in Athens, Ga
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages