REM Bootleg list: It's long!

David R. Weesner

Nov 29, 1994, 3:49:50 PM11/29/94

Hi friends:
I pulled this off the alt.music.bootlegs group. Hope it hasn't
been posted before. If so, please feel free to flame me
mercilessly. This is the best I've seen so far.

Tapeworm
David Weesner
fr...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu

Article #1324 (1429 is last):
From: fa...@iia.org (John Fail)
Subject: R.E.M. boot discography
Date: Sun Nov 20 14:01:17 1994

I think I should post this:

Complete Internet R.E.M. Underground List - a comprehensive list of R.E.M.
boots and other weird stuff.

version: 2.52 (revised: October 25, 1994)

* Summary of changes V2.52
*
* addition of "TMOQ"
* addition of "Reality in Colour"
* addition of "It's REM Jim, But Not As We Know Them..."
* addition of "We Support Greenpeace"
* addition of "consider life"
* addition of "The Trouble With Micheal"
* addition of label and catalog info for "Covering Them"
* addition of notes regarding the tracks on "Covering Them"
* addition of "The Complete Unplugged Show"
* addition of catalog info for "R.E.M. Rising"
* addition of "Life's Rich Pageant & More"
* addition of "Blue" LP boot
* addition of "Harmonics in Eternity" LP boot
* addition of "REM As Bingo Hand Job" LP boot
* addition of "Ultra Rare Trax" info
* addition of "L.I.V.E." LP boot
* addition of label and catalog info for "Poets of the wheat"
* addition of label and catalog info for "Perfect Circle"
* addition of label and catalog info for "This Is It!"
* addition of "Hitting the Note"
* addition of "Radio Dreamtime"
* addition of "Live at Yokahoma"
* addition of "Automatic People"
* addition of "It's a Free World"
* addition of "Man on the Moon"
* addition of the "Soliciting" section below
* corrected "Radio Free Georgia (Piedmont Park, 05/14/82) was listed as
* "Radio Free Europe"
* removed "Suprise your pig", it's not a boot
* misc Cleanup

* Soliciting for V2.53
*
* Track listing for "Radio Dreamtime"
* Any info regarding "REM Acoustic"
* Any info regarding "These Were the Days?"
* Catalog info for "Rough" and "Monument Valley"
* Catalog info for "Return of the Rickenbackers"
* Catalog info for "Rock And Roll Stars"
* Catalog info for "Greendreams"
* Catalog info for "Love And Squalor"
* Catalog info for "Songs For A Green World"
* Catalog info for "Begin the Begin"
* Catalog info for "Outtakes Of Time"
* Catalog info for "Radio Song"
* Catalog info for "Hitting the Note"
* Label and catalog info for "Blue"
* Label and catalog info for "Live at Yokohama"
* Label and catalog info for "Welcome to the Hoedown"
* Label and catalog info for "Life's Rich Pageant & More"
* Label and catalog info for "Reminiscing"
* Label and catalog info for "New Orleans"
* Label and catalog info for "Seattle 1989"
* Label and catalog info for "REM As Bingo Hand Job"
* Label and catalog info for "Harmonics in Eternity"
* Label and catalog info for "The Trouble With Micheal"
* Label and catalog info for "Consider Life"
* Label and catalog info for "We Support Greenpeace"
* Label info for "Mumble"
* Label info for "Archival Footage"
* Label info for "Pop Songs '89"
* Label info for "Slightly Out Of Time"
* Any info regarding "Early Movements"
* Any info anywhere there's a "?" in this list, unless, of course, it's part
* of a song title or such :-)

Contents:
Section 1: Bootleg List
Section 2: Early R.E.M. Recording Sessions
Section 3: Radio Shows
Section 4: Credits

Section 1: R.E.M. Bootleg List

"Bodycount at Tyrone's" - Brigand Records (BRIG 007)
Recorded: Live at Tyrone's, Athens, GA; October 4, 1980
Quality: excellent (soundboard)
Format: LP
Notes: earliest bootlegged show (on LP)
Tracks: Just A Touch/A Girl Like You/Dangerous Times/
There She Goes Again/I Can Only Give You Everything/
I Don't Want You Anymore/All the Right Friends/Rockville/
Bodycount/Hippy Hippy Shake/Action/Narrator/Hey Hey Nadine/
Gardening At Night/Lisa Says/Mystery to Me/Stepping Stone/
Permanent Vacation/

"Georgia Peaches - Ripe!" - Parrot (REM-7)
Recorded: Live at Tyrone's, January 10, 1981
Quality: very good (soundboard)
Format: LP (double)
Notes: See "So Much Younger Then" for an abridged set from
the same show
Tracks: Rave On/Burning Down/A Girl Like You/Get On Their Way/
There She Goes Again/Pretty Persuasion/Body Count/
A Different Girl/Action/Narrator/Hey Hey Nadine/Baby I/
Permanent Vacation/Radio Free Europe/Sitting Still/
Dangerous Times/I Don't Want You Anymore/Shaking Through/
Little Girl/Rockville/Windout/Gardening at Night/Wait/
Scherezade/Lisa Says/Mystery to Me/White Tornado/

"So Much Younger Then" - FTP (0011)
Recorded: Live at Tyrone's, January 10, 1981
Quality: very good (soundboard)
Format: LP
Notes: See "Georgia Peaches - Ripe!" for a more complete set from
the same show
Tracks: Body Count/A Different Girl/Action/Narrator/Hey Hey Nadine/
Baby I/Permanent Vacation/Wait/Scherezade/Lisa Says/
Mystery to Me/All The Right Friends/Little Girl/
Dangerous Times/A Girl Like You/

"T.G.I.F." - Red Robin Records (RRR 9309)
Recorded: Fridays, Greensboro NC, March 31, 1981
Quality: Unknown
Format: CD
Notes: contains "Ha (We Get Paid for it)" which is not
readily available elsewhere.
Tracks: Just a Touch/Burning Down/Ha (We Get Paid for it)/
Shaking Through/(Don't Go Back to) Rockville/
There She Goes Again/Permanant Vacation/Pretty Persuasion/
That Beat/Mystery to Me/Carnival of Sorts (Boxcars)/
Rave On/Ages of You/I Can't Control Myself/Laughing (cut)/
Romance/Chained to the Wall/Sitting Still/Wolves, Lower/
Gardening at Night/9-9/Windout/Radio Free Europe/

"That Beat In Time" - O.M.K. Records (OMKCD 001)
Recorded: Tyrone's in Athens, GA, May 12, 1981
Quality: Above Average
Format: CD
Released: 1991
Notes: The CD states that this is from the January 1, 1981
show, but the May date is actually correct.
Tracks: Hey! Hey! Nadine/Burning Down/Dangerous Times/
There She Goes Again/(Don't Go Back To) Rockville/
Body Count/Just A Touch/Sitting Still/Permanent Vacation/
Get On Their Way/Shaking Through/Romance/Laughing/
Pretty Persuation/That Beat/Stumble/Radio Free Europe/
Carnival Of Sorts (Boxcars)/Skank/Windout/
Gardening At Night/White Tornado/

"Radio Free Georgia" - Red Robin Records (RRR 9307)
Recorded: Piedmont Park, Alanta, Georgia, May 14, 1982
Quality: Unknown
Format: CD
Notes: From an FM broadcast on WRFG Atlanta
Tracks: West of the Fields #1/West of the Fields #2/1,000,000/
Shaking Through/Pilgrimage/Laughing/Romance/Sitting Still/
Pretty Persuasion/Gardening at Night/9-9/Catapult/
Radio Free Europe/White Tornado/Carnival of Sorts/Ages of you/

"Down South" - FTP (0010)
Recorded: Live 1981-82 (*) from 10/1/81 Tyrone's show
Quality: excellent
Format: LP
Tracks: White Tornado/Shaking Through/Rockville/
Gardening at Night/Sitting Still/Burning Down/
Chained to the Wall/Ages of You/Get on Their Way (*)/
There She Goes Again (*)/Laughing/Just A Touch/
Radio Free Europe/

"Chronic Murmurings" - Toasted Record Works (TRW 1905)
Recorded: Athens demos (1980), IRS demos (1981), outtakes
Quality: Athens demos: fair, remainder: very good to excellent
Format: LP (double)
Tracks: (Athens:) Dangerous Times/I Don't Want You Anymore/
Different Girl/Narrator/Just A Touch/Baby I/Mystery to Me/
Permanent Vacation/(IRS:) 1,000,000/Ages of You/
Gardening at Night/Carnival of Sorts/Stumble/
(Chronic Town outtakes:) Catapult/Wolves, Lower/Laughing/
Romance/Shaking Through/Carnival of Sorts/Stumble/
Wolves Lower/1,000,000/(Reckoning outtakes:) Windout/
Just a Touch/

"Really Exciting Music" - Easy Flyte Records (FLIGHT 201)
Recorded: Drive-in Studio demos, 1981, Hib-tone single, Reckoning mixes
Quality: demos: excellent, Reckoning: fair
Format: LP
Notes: Radio Free Europe and Sitting Still are from the Hibtone
single.
Tracks: 1,000,000/Ages of You/Carnival of Sorts/White Tornado/
Radio Free Europe/Sitting Still/There She Goes Again/
Windout/Pretty Persuasion/Time After Time/So. Central Rain/
Little America/

"Carnival Of Sorts" - Great Dane Records (GDR CD 9020)
Recorded: Merlins in Madison, WI (April 24, 1982)
Quality: Excellent
Format: CD (ADD)
Released: October, 1990
Tracks: Gardening At Night/9-9/Ages Of You/Shaking Through/Laughing/
Romance/Sitting Still/Pretty Persuasion/That Beat/Catapult/
Radio Free Europe/Wolves, Lower/Carnival Of Sorts (Boxcars)/
White Tornado/West Of The Fields/Stumble-Skank/
There She Goes Again/

"Do the Strand" - Red Robin Records (RRR 9308)
Recorded: Strand Cabaret, Marietta, GA, July 2, 1982
Quality: Unknown
Format: CD
Notes: Contains first (probably) live performance of
"Perfect Circle", with drum machine.
Tracks: West of the Fields/Shaking Through/Pilgrimage/Romance/
We Walk/Wolver, lower/That Beat/Pretty Persuasion/
Sitting Still/1,000,000/Gardening at Night/9-9/
There She Goes Again/Catapult/Radio Free Europe/
Perfect Circle/Laughing/Moral Kiosk/Carnival of Sorts/
Crazy/

"Pretty Pictures" - Easy Flyte Records (FLIGHT 130)
Recorded: Athens '80, San. Fran. '83, Chronic Town Outtakes
Quality: varied, mostly poor to fair
Format: LP (double)
Tracks: That Beat/All the Right Friends/Tighten Up/
There She Goes Again/Moon River/That Beat/Burning Down/
Burning Hell/The Lion Sleeps Tonight/Skank/Camera/
Second Guessing/Just A Touch/Pale Blue Eyes/Catapult/
Wolves, Lower/Laughing/Romance/Shaking Through/
Carnival of Sorts/Stumble/All The Right Friends/
A Different Girl/Narrator/Just A Touch/Baby I/Mystery to Me/
Permanent Vacation/

"R.E.M. Rising" - Red Robin Records (RECD 940111)
Recorded: July 9, 1983 at Larry's Hideaway in Toronto, Canada
Quality: superb
Format: CD
Released:
Notes: Features the complete soundboard tape, and is not merely
another copy of the edited FM broadcast from which
"Mada Mada" was taken.
Tracks: Wolves Lower/Moral Kiosk/Laughing/Pilgrimage/Moon River/
There She Goes Again and 7 Chinese Bros./Talk About the
Passions/Sitting Still/Harborcoat/Catapult/Pretty Persuasion/
Gardening at Night/9-9/Just a Touch/West of the Fields/
Radio Free Europe/We Walk/1.000.000/Carnival of Sorts/

"20th Century Boys - Vol. 1" (REM-92-SC)
Recorded: recorded at the Mad Hatter in Athens, GA, Fall 1983
(liner notes erroneously stated "Windup Club")
Quality: excellent (soundboard)
Format: CD
Notes: a very raw performance
Tracks: I Got You Babe/Here We Are/Harbor Coat/Pretty Persuasion/
Pills/Millions Like Us/Camera/Talk About the Passion/
Little American (sic)/Party Girl/Letter Never Sent/
Just a Touch/Secret Agent Man/Hootenany/Route 66/
Wind Out/Don't Know/6 Stock Answers to 74,000 Questions/
My Roof Your Roof/Pale Blue Eyes/Tainted Obligation/

"20th Century Boys - Vol. 2" (REM-92-SC)
Recorded: tracks 1-7 were recorded live at the Mad Hatter in Athens
in the Fall of 1983. Tracks 8-26 were recorded live at
Tyrone's Club, Athens, GA, October 4, 1980.
Quality: excellent (soundboard)
Format: CD
Notes: tracks 8-26 duplicate those found on the vinyl bootleg
"Bodycount at Tyrones." Tracks "This and That,"
"Party Girl," "Jacques Cousteau," "Small Town Girl,"
and "Get Stoned" have the alternate titles "I Can Only
Give You Everything," "All The Right Friends," "Narrator,"
"Hey Hey Nadine" and "Stepping Stone" respectively.
Tracks: Rave On/20th Century Boys/7 Chinese Brothers/Crazy/
Remember Me/Rockville/Carnival/Just A Touch/
Nervous Breakdown/A Girl Like You/Dangerous Times/
There She Goes Again/This and That/Party Girl/Rockville/
Bodycount/Hippy Hippy Shake/Action/Jacques Cousteau/
Small Town Girl/Gardening At Night/Scherezade/Lisa Says/
Mystery to Me/Get Stoned/Permanent Vacation/

"The Sound and the Fury" - Turtle (TR-284)
Recorded: 9:30 Club, Washington DC, March 18, 1983
Quality: very good (somewhat bass-shy)
Format: CD
Tracks: Gardening at Night/9-9/Catapult/Pilgrimage/7 Chinese Bros./
Laughing/Wolves, Lower/Romance/Sitting Still/1,000,000/
West of the Fields/Radio Free Europe/Last Date/Ages of You/
We Walk/Carnival of Sorts/

"L.I.V.E." Bandido (Ltd B006)
Recorded: University of Rochester, New York, April 8, 1983
Format: LP
Notes: This was the very first R.E.M. boot to be released.
Only known bootleg to have the songs "Harlem Nocturn"
and "Return"
Tracks: Harlem Nocturn/Moral Kiosk/Catapult/Pilgrimage/Return
(Seven chinese brothers)/Wolves, Lower/Talk About the
Passion/Gardening at Night/9-9 (not listed)/West of the
fields (not listed)/Radio Free Europe/

"Smoking in the Boys Room" - Class Act Records (C-116)
Recorded: mostly Larry's Hideaway, 7/9/83
Quality: varied
Format: LP
Tracks: White Tornado (Drive-in 7/81)/Moral Kiosk/Laughing/
There She Goes Again/Talk About the Passion/Sitting Still/
Harborcoat/Smokin' in the Boys Room (Hartford, CT 7/20/84)/
9-9/West of the Fields/Pretty Persuasion/Carnival of Sorts/
Radio Dub (Drive-in)/

"Return of the Rickenbackers" - Kabjdo Records (?)
Recorded: Paradise Theatre, Boston, MA; July 13, 1983
Quality: good but mastered too slow
Format: LP
Tracks: Seven Chinese Brothers/Harborcoat/Pretty Persuasion/
West of the Fields/Radio Free Europe/Gloria/Ages Of You/
We Walk/1,000,000/There She Goes Again/California Dreaming/
Carnival of Sorts/

"Do You Remember - Dead Giveaway Office" - CA (70054)
Recorded: Tyrone's (1983), Peppermint Lounge (NYC 10/31/83) and more
Quality: mixed: audience and soundboard
Format: LP
Tracks: Welcome To The Starlight/20th Century Boy/Pills/
Barney Miller Theme/Secret Agent Man/Hootenanny/
DOA/Omaha (Golden Paliminos)/I Got You Babe/Moon River/
Rave On/So You Want to be a R&R Star?/Pale Blue Eyes/
I Can't Control Myself/Crazy/Femme Fatale/

"Mada Mada" - Toasted Record Works TRW (1906)
Recorded: [1] Larry's Hideaway 7/9/83
[2] Reflection Studios outtakes
[3] Trenton, NJ - Nov 16, 1982
Quality: excellent (mixed FM broadcast and soundboard)
Format: LP (double)
Notes: Also available on CD "Streets of Millionaires"
Tracks: [1] Laughing/Pilgrimage/There She Goes Again/
Seven Chinese Brothers/Talk About the Passion/Sitting Still/
Harborcoat/Catapult/Gardening at Night/9-9/Just a Touch/
West of the Fields/Radio Free Europe/We Walk/1,000,000/
[2] There She Goes Again/Lighten Up/Don't Want You Anymore/
[3] Romance/1,000,000/Pretty Persuasion/Ages of You/
Pilgrimage/Wolves, Lower/

"Rough" - Transalantic (?)
Recorded: ?
Quality: One boot source rates it 3 stars out of 5
Format: CD
Released: ?
Notes: Claims to be Rhythmic Studios 11/9/83, actually it' the
same as "Mada Mada" from the FM broadcast at Larry's Hideway
in July 1983.
Tracks: See "Mada Mada" above

"Monument Valley" - IRI (?)
Recorded: ?
Quality: One boot source rates it 2 stars out of 5
Format: CD
Released:
Notes: Claims to be Rhythmic Studios 11/9/83, actually it' the
same as "Mada Mada" from the FM broadcast at Larry's Hideway
in July 1983.
Tracks: See "Mada Mada" above

"Streets Of Millionaires" Raid Masters (RMCD 910709)
Recorded: Larry's Hideaway, July 9, 1983
Quality: Above average (fade ins are long)
Format: CD
Released: September, 1991
Notes: Not really from San Francisco (see "Mada Mada")
Tracks: Laughing/Pilgrimage (The Traveller)/There She Goes Again/
Seven Chinese Brothers/Talk About The Passion/Sitting Still/
Harborcoat/Catapult/Gardening At Night/9-9/Just A Touch/
West Of The Fields/Radio Free Europe/We Walk/Million/

"We're Blinking Just As Fast As We Can" - GLC Great Live Concerts (3791)
Recorded: Seattle Music Hall; June 27, 1984
Quality: excellent (FM broadcast)
Format: LP (double)
Notes: NBC Source concert - also on CD "Rock and Roll Stars"
Tracks: Moral Kiosk/Driver 8/Catapult/Hyena/Camera/Pilgrimage/
Old Man Kensey/Radio Free Europe/Little America/
Talk About The Passion/Seven Chinese Brothers/
So. Central Rain/Pretty Persuasion/Gardening At Night/
9-9/Windout/Burning Down/Pale Blue Eyes/
So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star/Carnival of Sorts/
Skank/

"Live in Chicago" - Me Records (0100)
Recorded: Chicago (July 7, 1984) and New Jersey (September 6, 1984)
Quality: unknown
Format: LP
Tracks: Femme Fatale/Radio Free Europe/Gardening At Night/
Sitting Still/Pale Blue Eyes/
So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star/9-9/Windout/
Driver 8/So. Central Rain/Harborcoat/Cushy Tush/
Behind Closed Doors/Hyena/Pretty Persuasion/

"We Are Having a Heavenly Time" - PFM Records (Q-9022)
Recorded: live at Page Auditorium, N.C.; September 25, 1984
Quality: excellent soundboard - mastered too fast
Format: LP
Released: 1985
Tracks: Seven Chinese Brothers/Catapult/Radio Free Europe/
Letter Never Sent/Kohoutek/So. Central Rain/Driver 8/
Rockville/1,000,000/Hyena/Old Man Kensey/Second Guessing/

"Philadelphia 1984" - Rarities & Few (GZCD 1010)
Recorded: Tower Theatre, Philadelphia; October 17, 1984
Quality: Above Average (A-/B+)
Format: CD (ADD)
Released: 1990
Notes: (according to the cover) Limited Edition, 1000 Copies
Tracks: Radio Free Europe/Hyena/Letter Never Sent/Camera/
Gardening At Night/9-9/Windout/(Don't Go Back To) Rockville/
So. Central Rain/Little America/Second Guessing/
Talk About The Passion/Wolves, Lower/Moon River/
Ghost Riders In The Sky/There She Goes Again/We Walk/

"R.E.M. Boston 1984" - Mistral Music (MM 9116)
Recorded: Live In Boston 1984 (sic) - actually recorded in Seattle.
Quality: Good/excellent
Format: CD
Notes: "Driver 8" contains a small skip from the vinyl that
was used for mastering.
Tracks: Moral Kiosk/Driver 8/Catapult/Hyena/Camera/Pilgrimage/
Talk About The Passion/7 Chinese Brothers/
South Central Rain/Pretty Persuasion/9-9/Windout/
Old Man Kensey/Radio Free Europe/Little America/
Burning Down/Pale Blue Eyes/1,000,000/
So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star/Carnival of Sorts/
Taking Out The Seeds/

"Blue" - ? (?)
Recorded: Live at the Seattle Music Hall 1984
Quality: ?
Format: Double LP's
Released: ?
Tracks:Moral Kiosk/Driver8/Catapult/Hyena/Camera/Pilgrimage/Talk
About the Passion/7 Chinese Brothers/So. Central Rain/Pretty
Persuasion/Gardening at Night/9-9/Windout/Old Man Kensey/Radio
Free Europe/Little America/Burning Down/PBE/1,000,000/Rock N
Roll Star/Boxcars/Marble Table/ (Same as Rock n Roll Stars)

"Rock And Roll Stars" - Howdy Records (?)
Recorded: Seattle, WA - June 27, 1984
Quality: Excellent
Format: CD
Released: January, 1992
Notes: CD is mastered from vinyl.
Tracks: Moral Kiosk/Hyena/Camera/Pilgrimage/Talk About The Passion/
7 Chinese Brothers/So. Central Rain/Pretty Persuation/
Gardening At Night/9-9/Wind Out/Old Man Kinsey/
Radio Free Europe/Little America/Burning Down/Pale Blue Eyes/
1,000,000/So You Wanna Be A Rock And Roll Star/
Carnival Of Sorts/Skank/

"Disturbances" - Aragon (CA 784A)
Recorded: Unknown Origin, July, 1984
Quality: Terrible - only for die-hards.
Format: CD
Released: 1989
Notes: Both the track listing in the case, and on the CD
are incorrect (actual tracks are listed below).
The CD is labeled "Heartsounds" and is given a,
"(C) (P) 1989 Heartground Records.
Tracks: Letter Never Sent/I Believe/Driver 8/South Central Rain/
7 Chinese Brothers/Harbourcoat/Hyena/Femme Fatale/
Radio Free Europe/Gardening At Night/9-9, Windout/
Little America/Second Guessing/(Don't Go Back To) Rockville/

"Songs From Little America" - Flashback World Productions (09.92.0189)
Recorded: Live in the USA, summer 84
Format: CD
Released: September 1992
Tracks: Radio Free Europe/Harbour Coat/Hyema (sic)/Sitting Still/
7 Chinese Brothers/Letter Never Sent/Driver 8/
South Central Rain/Pretty Persuation/Gardening/
9-9, Wind Out/Old Man Kensey/Second Coessing (sic)/
Little America/Pale Blue Eyes/We Walk/Rockville/Million/
Ghostriders In The Sky/Camera/Carnical Of Sorts/

"Unreleased Live LP" - Unbelievable Music (UM 029)
Recorded: Tracks 1-15 recorded live at Page Auditorium, N.C.,
September 25, 1984. Tracks 16-22 are "bonus" tracks from
an unidentified performance.
Quality: Page Auditorium tracks: very good soundboard but mastered
slightly too fast
Bonus tracks: substandard sound
Format: CD
Notes: The liner notes state: "This recording was supposed to be
R.E.M.'s last album on the I.R.S. Records label. However,
Michael Stipe, the band's vocalist did not want it released"
(end quote). Although this CD contains much of the same show
as the boot LP "We Are Having a Heavenly Time," the CD is not
mastered from the LP. For example, Stipe's comment at the
beginning of the show about having a cold is on the CD but
not the LP. Also, Driver 8, originally on the LP, but which
contains a mid-song sound glitch, is missing from that set
here.
Tracks: 7 Chinese Brothers/Catapult/Radio Free Europe/9-9/
Gardening at Night/Windout/Letter Never Sent/Kohoutek/
So. Central Rain/Rockville/1,000,000/Hyena/
West of the Fields/Old Man Kensey/Second Guessing/Hyena/
Letter Never Sent/Driver 8/Old Man Kensey/Pretty Persuasion/
1,000,000/Second Guessing/

"Live at Yokohama" - ? (?)
Recorded: ?
Quality: Excellent
Format: ?
Notes: Mike announces that this is the very first time
they've ever played Auctioneer in public.
Tracks: Gardening at Night/9--9/Old Man Kensey/So. Central Rain/
Auctioneer/Talk about the passion/Harborcoat/Hyena/Rockville/
Sitting Still/Catapult/Chicken Train/Pretty Persuasion/
Little America/Ghost Reindeers/Second Guessing/Radio Free Europe/
Femme Fatale/

"Nottingham" - TMQ (71121)
Recorded: Rock City, Nottingham, UK - BBC Broadcast - 11/21/84
Quality: excellent
Format: LP (Green Vinyl) also [?]
LP (Clear vinyl splattered with pink/fuschia)
Tracks: Hyena/Talk About the Passion/Rockville/Auctioneer/
So. Central Rain/Sitting Still/Old Man Kensey/
Gardening at Night/9-9/Windout/Driver 8/Pretty Persuasion/
Radio Free Europe/

"Old Man Kensey" - Hallmark (HM 004 CD)
Recorded: Rock City, Nottingham, UK - November 21, 1984
Quality: Excellent (radio show)
Format: CD
Notes: This CD was mastered from a BBC concert transcription LP
which has also been bootlegged on vinyl (less "West of the
Fields") under the title "Nottingham." An abridged version
of this concert was recently pressed on CD as a Westwood One
radio show ("In Concert") and aired in several markets. In
a humorous moment during this show, Stipe announces that the
heel of his boot has come off, and requests (and is given) a
new shoe from the audience.
Tracks: Hyena/Talk About the Passion/West of the Fields/
(Don't Go Back To) Rockville/Auctioneer/So. Central Rain/
Sitting Still/Old Man Kensey/Gardening at Night/9-9/Windout/
Driver 8/Pretty Pervasion (sic)/Radio Free Europe/

"The Pop Dream" - Easy Flyte Records (FLIGHT 801)
Recorded: various locations, 1982-85
Quality: mixed
Format: LP (double)
Tracks: Neverland/Gloria/There She Goes Again/California Dreaming/
Toys In The Attic/Radar Love/Paint It Black/
I Can't Control Myself/Radar Love/
So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star/
I Can Only Give You Everything/Secret Agent Man/
See No Evil/Pills/Stepping Stone/
Have You Ever Seen The Rain/Eight Miles High/Roadrunner/
In the Year 2525/After Hours/God Save The Queen/
20th Century Boys/Smokin' In The Boy's Room/Sweet Jane/
Louie Louie/Pale Blue Eyes/Wild Thing/Chicken Train/
Be Bop A Lula/

"Can't Get There From Here" - Kaxy Recordings (KAXY 002)
Recorded: Live at Hammersmith Palais Ballroom, London;
October 28, 1985
Quality: good (audience recording)
Format: LP (double)
Released: 1986
Tracks: Feeling Gravity's Pull/Harborcoat/Green Grow the Rushes/
Maps And Legends/Pilgrimage/Drive 8/Sitting Still/
Good Advices/So. Central Rain/Have You Ever Seen The Rain/
Can't Get There From Here/Seven Chinese Brothers/Auctioneer/
Old Man Kensey/Pretty Persuasion/Life And How To Live it/
Second Guessing/Rockville/Toys In The Attic/Radar Love/
Burning Hell/Talk About The Passion/Little America/

"The Georgia Peaches - Rapid Eye Movements" - REM Records (L29875)
Recorded: Bay Front Theater, St. Petersburg; November 26, 1985
Quality: good audience recording
Format: LP (double)
Released: 1988
Notes: Roger McGuinn guests on "So You Want To Be A R&R Star"
Tracks: Feeling Gravity's Pull/Harborcoat/Driver 8/Pilgrimage/
Green Grow The Rushes/Sitting Still/Maps and Legends/
So. Central Rain/Laughing/Seven Chinese Brothers/
It's A Restless World/Can't Get There From Here/
West Of The Fields/Old Man Kensey/Auctioneer/
Pretty Persuasion/Little America/Second Guessing/
Shaking Through/So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star/
Toys in the Attic/

"These Days" - Why Not Records (WOT 1008)
Recorded: London Hammersmith, 10/29/85 (2nd show)
Format: CD
Quality: Soundboard, except for the last 4 tracks which are
demos.
Notes: This is supposedly an unaired radio broadcast.
Tracks: Moral Kiosk/Letter Never Sent/Laughing/Maps And Legends/
Driver 8/Fall On Me/Can't Get There From Here/
Seven Chinese Brothers/West Of The Fields/
Auctioneer (Another Engine)/Old Man Kensey/
Gardening At Night/Radio Free Europa (sic)/We Walk/
Pretty Persuation/See No Evil/Theme From Two Steps Onward/
These Days/Bad Day/I Believe/

"Welcome to the Hoedown" - ? (?)
Recorded: Live at the Stock Pavillion, Madison, WI May 1985
Quality: reportedly very good
Format: CD
Tracks: Harbourcoat/Green Grow The Rushes/Seven Chinese Brothers/
Hyena/Good Advices/Talk About The Passion/Driver 8/
Can't Get There From Here/So. Central Rain/Maps and Legends/
Auctioneer(another engine)/Life And How To Live It/
Little America/Second Guessing/(Don't Go Back to) Rockville/
Just a Touch/Theme From 2 Steps Onwards/Gardening at Night/
9-9/Windout/Have You Ever Seen The Rain/When I Was Young/

"Stab It and Steer It" - Adobe (CD RAIN 1)
Recorded: [1] Reflection Studios, Charlotte, NC, January, 1983
[2] Stock Pavilion, Madison, WI, May 10, 1985
[3] Brown University, April 27, 1985
[4] Rhythmic Studios, San Fransisco, November 9, 1983
[5] unidentified
Quality: very good, but hissy
Format: CD
Notes: Several of the Reflection Studios tracks ([1]) have been
commercially released as bonus tracks on the recent European
I.R.S. CD reissues.
Tracks: That Beat[1]/Pretty Persuasion[1]/All the Right Friends[1]/
Tighten Up[1]/There She Goes Again[1]/Moon River[1]/
Theme from Two Steps Onward[2]/When I Was Young[3]/
Bad Day (demo)[5]/The Lion Sleeps Tonight[4]/Skank[4]/Walter's
Theme[4]/Cushy Tush[4]/Gardening at Night (acoustic)[1]/
Mystery to Me[1]/Gardening at Night (acoustic vs. 2)[1]/
Tainted Obligation (Community Trolls with Michael Stipe)

"Mumble" - ? (PSA-101)
Recorded: various locations (1986 demos, 1984 BBC broadcast, etc.)
Quality: good to excellent
Format: LP
Notes: PSA is somewhat of a precursor to It's the End of
the World..., and contains some of the same lyrics.
Also, tracks marked with (*) are from 1984 Nottingham UK
concert and most are also available on Nottingham LP.
Tracks: Underneath the Bunker/Gardening At Night (*)/ 9-9 (*)/
Windout (*)/White Tornado/Pretty Persuasion (*)/
PSA (Bad Day)/So. Central Rain/Swan Swan H/Auctioneer (*)/
West of the Fields (*)/Cuyahoga/

"Pageantry" - Pharting Pharoah (13154)
Recorded: University Ampitheatre, Los Angeles, CA; September 30, 1986
Quality: poor
Format: LP (double)
Notes: due to poor quality, recommended for diehards only
Tracks: These Days/Radio Free Europe/Harborcoat/Sitting Still/
The One I Love/Shaking Through/Feeling Gravity's Pull/
Last Date/Drive 8/Flowers of Guatemala/I Believe/
Swan Swan H/Superman/Can't Get There From Here/
Pretty Persuasion/Just a Touch/Fall on Me/Cuyahoga/
1,000,000/Strange/Funtime/Life and How to Live It/
Begin the Begin/So. Central Rain/

"Rolling Stone" - Auto Dight Records (1345)
Recorded: Syrian Mosque, Pittsburgh, PA; October 24, 1986
Quality: poor
Format: LP (double)
Notes: due to poor quality, recommended for diehards only
Tracks: These Days/Harborcoat/Sitting Still/The One I Love/
West Of The Fields/Shaking Through/Feeling Gravity's Pull/
White Tornado/Flowers of Guatemala/Maps And Legends/
Driver 8/I Believe/Seven Chinese Brothers/untitled/
Superman/Can't Get There From Here/Pretty Persuasion/
Auctioneer/Little America/Fall On Me/Cuyahoga/1,000,000/

"Radio Free Georgia" - Bee Records (RM01)
Recorded: New York City's Felt Forum; November 7, 1986
Quality: very good
Format: LP (double)
Released: 1990
Tracks: Feeling Gravity's Pull/Burning Down/Green Grow the Rushes/
Seven Chinese Brothers/Hyena/Good Advices/
Talk About The Passion/Driver 8/Can't Get There From Here/
So. Central Rain/Maps and Legends/Auctioneer/Old Man Kensey/
Pretty Persuasion/Life and How to Live It/Little America/
Second Guessing/Rockville/Just A Touch/
Don't Be A Stranger/Gardening at Night/9-9/Pale Blue Eyes/

"Life's Rich Pageant & More" - ? (?)
Recorded: Tracks 1-14 are studio demos & outtakes, Tracks 15-24
were recorded from various locations
Quality: ?
Format: ?
Released: ?
Tracks: Theme From Two Steps Onward/Just a Touch/Mystery
to me/Wait/Begin the Begin/Cuyahoga/I Believe/Interim
Medley/Rotary Ten/These Days/PSA (Bad Day)/Underneath
the Bunker/Swan Swan H/The Flowers of Guatemala/March/Theme
From Two Steps Onward/California Dreaming/Mississippi
Queen/Whole Lotta Love/Funtime/ After Hours/Oddfellows
Local 151/Born to Run/Eight Miles High/Roadrunner/
When I Was Young/

"No. 8 Demos and Outtakes" - Indian (IN02 - Japanese)
Recorded: various locations 1987 thru 1990
Quality: very good to excellent
Format: CD
Notes: all are outtakes from album sessions
Tracks: Exhuming McCarthy/Disturbance at the Heron House/
It's the End of the World/Fireplace/Lightning Hopkins/
I Remember California/Get Up/You Are the Everything/
Orange Crush/Losing My Religion/Trash Metal Song/
Shiny Happy People/Me in Honey/Endgame/Belong/Texarkana/
It's a Free World Baby/

"Documentary" - Toasted Record Works (TRW 1914)
Recorded: live circa 1987 (Los Angeles)
Quality: good audience recording
Format: LP (double)
Tracks: Finest Worksong/These Days/Welcome To The Occupation/
Exhuming McCarthy/Don't Call On Me/Feeling Gravity's Pull/
King Of Birds/I Believe/Maps And Legends/Driver 8/
Superman/Auctioneer/Oddfellows Local 151/
(earthquake story)/It's the End of the World As We Know It/
Begin the Begin/Strange/Rollers Show/Cuyahoga/Fall on Me/
Harpers/The One I Love/Crazy/Eat the Fucking Rich/
Just A Touch/After Hours/

"Acoustic '87" - Alpine Records (MAC-01)
Recorded: McCabe's Guitar Shop, Santa Monica, CA 5/24/87
Quality: fair audience recording
Format: LP
Released: 1990
Notes: Maps and Legends from this performance can be found
on several legitimate releases
Tracks: The One I Love/Welcome to the Occupation/
Disturbance At The Heron House/Finest Worksong/
Maps and Legends/Walk Don't Run/1,000,000/Trains/
The One I Love/Spooky/Disturbance at the Heron House/
Finest Worksong/Fever/So. Central Rain/
Medley: Leaving on a Jet Plane (w/Natalie Merchant)

"Maps And Legends" - Mongoose Records (german) (MONG CD005)
Recorded: McCabe' Guitar Shop, May 24, 1987
Quality: Below average. Listen BEFORE buying.
Format: CD
Released: January, 1992
Notes: "Baby Please Don't Go"..."Stretch Out My Hand" are songs NOT
performed by REM. I don't know who does them, but they're
pretty bad.
Tracks: (set 1) Hello Stranger/The One I Love/
Welcome To The Occupation/Disturbance At The Heron House/
Finest Worksong/Maps And Legends/Baby Please Don't Go/
1,000,000 Miles Away/Hello Stranger/Camp Fire Song/
Stretch Out My Hand/(set 2) The One I Love/Spooky/
Disturbance At The Heron House/Fever/South Central Rain/

"TMOQ" - no label (no catalog)
Recorded: May 24, 1987, McCabe's Guitar Shop, Santa Monica
Quality: Excellent
Format: CD
Released: ?
Length: 77:56
Notes: A soundboard recording of the show that also appears, albeit
incompletely, on the vinyl _Acoustic '87_ and the CD _Maps and
Legends_. Jenny Homer (misidentified as Jenny Holmer on the
label) is a member of Downey Mildew. This show appears to be
a Steve Wynn performance with the rest of the participants
being guests. The packaging is a letter-pressed fold of heavy
cardstock without a jewel box or digipack and features a
trippy drawing of characters from Winnie the Pooh on its
cover.
Tracks: Merritville [Steve Wynn]/Drinking Problem [Wynn]/One More Cup
of Coffee [Wynn]/Days of Wine and Roses [Wynn]/Don't Talk
[Natalie Merchant]/Hello Stranger [Merchant, Jenny Homer and
Michael Stipe]/The One I Love [Stipe, Buck]/Welcome to the
Occupation [Stipe, Buck]/Disturbance at the Heron House
[Stipe,Buck]/Finest Worksong [Stipe,Buck]/Maps & Legends
[Stipe,Buck]/Harpers [Stipe]/Damaged Goods [Stipe, Merchant]/
Leaving on a Jet Plane-Sunday Morning [Stipe, Buck, Merchant,
Homer & friends]/50 In A 25 Zone [Wynn]/How Can You Mend a
Broken Heart? [Wynn]/Killing Time [Wynn]/See That My Grave
is Kept Clean [Wynn, Buck]/Stage Fright [Wynn]/Too Little,
Too Late [Wynn, Kendra Smith]/More Than A Paycheck [Merchant,
Homer, Smith]/Hear The Wind Blow [Smith, Merchant]/A Campfire
Song [Merchant]/The Wheel of Fortune [Stipe, Merchant]

"Finest Worksongs" - FWS (8889)
Recorded: studio demos, 1987-88
Quality: very good
Format: LP
Tracks: Finest Worksong/Welcome To The Occupation/
Exhuming McCarthy/Disturbance At The Heron House/
Pop Song '89/It's The End Of The World As We Know It/
Orange Crush/Fireplace/Lightnin' Hopkins/
I Remember California/Oddfellows Local 151/Get Up/
You Are The Everything/

"Standing Room Only" - Swingin' Pigs Records (no catalog)
Recorded: Utrecht, Holland - September 14, 1987
Quality: Average, murky
Format: CD
Released: 1989
Notes: The "December 14" date on the back of the CD is
incorrect, and there is no catalog info provided.
Tracks: Finest Worksong/These Days/Lightnin' Hopkins/
Welcome To The Occupation/Driver 8/Feeling Gravity's Pull/
I Believe/The One I Love/Exhuming McCarthy/Wolves, Lower/
Fall On Me/Superman/Just A Touch/Oddfellows Local 151/
Strange/Disturbance At The Heron House/Funtime/Moral Kiosk/
Life And How To Live It/

"red Rain" - Silver Rarities (SIRA117-2CD)
Recorded: Utretch, Holland 09/14/87
Quality: Excellent
Format: Double CD
Released: ?
Notes: Regarded as "The one to have" for this show.
Tracks: (disk 1) Finest Worksong/These Days/Lightning
Hopkins/Welcome To The Occupation/Driver 8/Feeling The
Gravity's Pull/I Belive/The One I Love/Exhuming
McCarthy/Wolves Lower/Fall On Me/Superman/Just A Touch/
(disk 2) Old Fellows Local 151/Little America/It's The
End Of The World/Begin The Begin/Strange/Disturbance
At The Heron House/Funtime/Madhouse/Moral Kaos/Life And
How To Live It/Time After Time - Red Rain/So. Central Rain/

"Rapid Eye Movement" - Turtle (TR-08)
Recorded: Utrecht, Holland, Sept. 14, 1987 (tracks 1-15) and
Oslo, Norway, October 6, 1985 (tracks 16-20)
Quality: near excellent (soundboard)
Format: CD
Notes: from a radio broadcast - superior in quality to the
"Standing Room Only" CD and generally better sounding
than "Bucketfull of Worksongs," both which also contain
the Utrecht show. Unfortunately, however, this CD omits
the the latter tracks from this show (Strange, Disturbance at
the Heron House, Funtime, Time After Time medley, Moral
Kiosk and Life and How to Live It).
Tracks: Finest Worksong/These Days/Lightning Hopkins/
Welcome to the Occupation/Driver 8/Feeling Gravity's Pull/
I Believe/The One I Love/Exhuming McCarthy/Wolves, Lower/
Fall on Me/Superman/Just a Touch/Oddfellows Local 151/
Letter Never Sent (mislabeled Little America)/Hyena/
Driver 8/Old Man Kensey/Pretty Persuasion/1,000,000/

"Bucketfull of Worksongs" - Rocks (92029/30)
Recorded: Utrecht, Holland Sept. 14, 1987 (tracks 1-22) and
Werchter, July, 1985 (tracks 23-28)
Quality: very good (somewhat bass-shy)
Format: 2-CD set
Notes: the Time After Time medley (w/ So. Central Rain and Red
Rain) from the Utrecht show has been commercially released
as a B-side.
Tracks: Finest Worksong/These Days/Lightning Hopkins/
Welcome to the Occupation/Driver 8/Feeling Gravity's Pull/
I Believe/The One I Love/Exhuming McCarthy/Wolves, Lower/
Fall on Me/Superman/Just a Touch/Oddfellows Local 151/
Strange/Hair and House (sic - actually Disturbance at the
Heron House)/Funtime/Time After Time/So. Central Rain/
Him/Moral Kiosk/Life and How to Live It/Feeling Gravity's
Pull/Driver 8/Rockville/So. Central Rain/Have You Ever Seen
the Rain/Can't Get There from Here/

"Working" - Auto Dight Records (1346)
Recorded: Universal Ampitheatre, LA, CA; November 15, 1987
Quality: fair audience recording
Format: LP
Tracks: Finest Worksong/These Days/Welcome to the Occupation/
Pilgrimage/Disturbance at the Heron House/Exhuming McCarthy/
Don't Call on Me/Feeling Gravity's Pull/King of Birds/
I Believe/Sitting Still/Ghost Riders in the Sky/
Pretty Persuasion/Superman/Oddfellows Local 151/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It/Begin the Begin/
1,000,000/Wolves, Lower/See No Evil/Pop Song '89/
Ghost Rider/Cuyahoga/Crazy/

"Archival Footage" - ? (ARC-10)
Recorded: 1982-89, various locations
Quality: mixed
Format: LP
Tracks: [4 untitled cuts]/Gardening at Night/King of Birds/
Summer Time/Feeling Gravity's Pull/Dark Globe/9-9/
Carnival of Sorts/

"Pop Songs '89" - ? (BMPM-8032)
Recorded: Green demos (1988) and live performances (1989)
Quality: good (demos) and fair (audience recordings)
Format: LP
Tracks: Pop Song '89/Get Up/You Are the Everything/King of Birds/
World Leader Pretend/Orange Crush/Turn You Inside Out/
Hairshirt/I Remember California/Rotary 10/untitled/
Perfect Circle/

"Roger, Bill, Mike & Pete Remember the Byrds" - Sons of Rickenbacker (SOR-51188)
Recorded: 5/11/88 - Roger McGuinn backed by "Southern Gentlemen"
(Mills, Buck & Berry)
Quality: very good (audience recording)
Format: LP
Tracks: Sunshine Love/The Tears/Chestnut Mare/Tiffany Queen/
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere/Feel A Whole Lot Better/
Mr. Spaceman/Bells Of Rhymney/Mr. Tamborine Man/
Turn Turn Turn/Eight Miles High/Knockin' On Heaven's Door/

"Reminiscing" (or "Reminiscences") - ? (?)
Recorded: Live at the LA Forum, March 15th 1989
Quality: very good audience recording
Format: Double CD
Tracks: DISC 1: Pop Song '89/Exhuming McCarthy/
Welcome To The Occupation/Turn You Inside Out/
Pilgrimage/Orange Crush/Disturbance At The Heron House/
Feeling Gravity's Pull/Time After Time/World Leader Pretend/
Begin the Begin/Pretty Persuasion/I Believe/Crazy/Get Up/
DISC 2: Auctioneer (another engine)/
It's The End Of The World/Stand/Wolves, Lower/Fall On Me/
You Are The Everything/Finest Worksong/King Of Birds/
See No Evil (not listed)/I Remember California/Strange/
Perfect Circle/After Hours/

"New Orleans" - ? (?)
Recorded: Kiefer U.N.O. Lakefront Arena, New Orleans, LA 3/27/89
Quality: fair (audience)
Format: LP (double)
Tracks: Welcome to the Occupation/Disturbance At The Heron House/
Turn You Inside Out/Driver 8/Orange Crush/Cuyahoga/
Feeling Gravity's Pull/Time After Time/World Leader Pretend/
I Believe/Pretty Persuasion/Get Up/Auctioneer/
It's The End of the World As We Know It/Stand/Fall on Me/
You Are The Everything/Finest Worksong/King of Birds/

"Greendreams" - Vigotone (?)
Recorded: Orlando Arena, Orlando FL 4/30/89, w/ 2 fan club tracks
Quality: excellent
Format: LP (double)
Notes: Broadcast by Westwood One. Also available on CD's
It's the End of the World and Poets of the Wheat
Tracks: Pop Song '89/Exhuming McCarthy/Welcome to the Occupation/
Disturbance at the Heron House/Orange Crush/
Turn You Inside Out/Feeling Gravity's Pull/Begin the Begin/
Pretty Persuasion/I Believe/Swan Swan H/Flowers of Guatemala/
Shaking Through/Finest Worksong/You Are The Everything/
Academy Fight Song/Stand/Perfect Circle/Get Up/
It's the End of the World/See No Evil (Fan club)/
Academy Fight Song (Fan club)/

"It's The End Of The World . . . As We Know It!!" - Kiss The Stone (KTS 005)
Recorded: Green World Tour, USA 1989 (The Orlando Westwood One show)
Quality: Excellent
Format: CD (ADD)
Released: 1991
Tracks: Pop Song 89/Exhuming McCarthy/Welcome To The Occupation/
Disturbance At The Heron House/Turn You Inside-Out/
Orange Crush/Feeling Gravity's Pull/Swan Swan H/
Begin The Begin/Pretty Pursuation/I Believe/King Of Birds/
Crazy/Finest Worksong/You Are Everything/Academy Fight Song/
Stand/Perfect Circle/Get Up/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)/

"Love And Squalor" - Howdy Records (?)
Recorded: A remastering of the Westwood One radio show -
Orlando, April 30, 1989
Quality: Excellent, but a "hiss" is a present throughout the CD.
Format: CD
Released: January, 1992
Tracks: Pop Song '89/Exhuming McCarthy/Welcome To Occupation/
DIsturbance At The Heron House/Orange Crush/
Feeling Gravity's Pull/Begin The Begin/Pretty Persuation/
I Believe/Swan Swan H/Flowers Of Guatemala/Crazy/
Finest Worksong/You Are The Everything/Academy Fight Song/
Stand/Perfect Circle/Get Up/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)/

"Songs For A Green World" - Flashback World Productions (?)
Recorded: Westwood One radio show (again) - April 30, 1989
Quality: Very Good (A)
Format: CD (56:36)
Tracks: Pop Song '89/Exhuming McCarthy/Welcome To The Occupation/
Disturbance At The Heron House/Turn You Inside Out/
Orange Crush/Feeling Gravitys Pull/Swan Swan H/
Begin The Begin/Pretty Persuasion/I Believe/King Of Birds/
Crazy/Finest Worksong/You Are The Everything/
Academy Fight Song/Stand/Perfect Circle/Get Up/

"Seattle 1989" - ? (?)
Recorded: Orlando, FL April 30, 1989 (The Orlando Westwood One show)
Quality: ?
Format: CD
Released: ?
Notes:
Tracks: Pop Song 89/Exhuming McCarthy/Welcome To The Occupation/
Disturbance At The Heron House/Turn You Inside-Out/
Orange Crush/Feeling Gravity's Pull/Swan Swan H/
Begin The Begin/Pretty Pursuation/I Believe/King Of Birds/
Crazy/Finest Worksong/You Are Everything/Academy Fight Song/
Stand/Perfect Circle/Get Up/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)/

"The Dream: Green World Tour" - Red Phantom (RPCD 1028)
Recorded: Langraaf, Holland - May 15, 1989, Milan - June 15, 1989
Quality: Good, but not perfect
Format: CD (ADD)
Released:
Notes: Only the last three songs were recorded in Milan.
Tracks: Exhuming McCarthy/Turn You Inside-Out/Stand/Orange Crush/
Feeling Gravity's Pull/King Of Birds/World Leader Pretend/
Underneath The Bunker/Pretty Persuation/Get Up/Auctioneer/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It/Summertime/
Swan Swan H/Finest Worksong/Begin The Begin/Perfect Circle/
Dark Globe/

"The Green World Tour" - Rs Records (RS CD18)
Recorded: Perugia Palasport (Italy) - June 17, 1989
Quality: Very Good
Format: CD (ADD)
Released: 1990
Tracks: Pop Song 89/These Days/Exhuming McCarthy/Turn You Inside-Out/
Orange Crush/Disturbance At The Heron House - Feeling
Gravity's Pull/King Of Birds/Shaking Through/
World Leader Pretend/Finest Worksong/Underneath The Bunker/
Sitting Still/Get Up/Auctioneer (Another Engine)/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It/Stand/

"Begin the Begin" - On Stage (?)
Recorded: during Green tour
Quality: unknown
Format: CD
Notes: This is yet another boot of the Orlando Westwood One show
Tracks: If I Could Turn You Inside Out / Begin the Begin/
Heron House / King of Birds / Finest Worksong/I Believe/
Crazy/Swan Swan/Pop Song 89/Gravity/Welcome to the Occupation/
Stand/McCarthy/Perfect Circle/Get Up

"In The Year 2525 - The Cover Versions" - Great Live Records (GLR 9109)
Recorded: various (1981-1990)
Quality: good to above average
Format: CD (ADD)
Released: 1991
Tracks: There She Goes Again/In The Year 2525/Eight Miles High/
Have You Ever Seen The Rain/What's New Pussycat/Radar Love/
Gloria/Rave On/Pale Blue Eyes/
Do You Wanna Be A Rock And Roll Star/Moon River/
Paint It Black/California Dreamin'/Femme Fatal/
Toys In The Attic/See No Evil/Hey Little Girl/
The Lion Sleeps Tonight/Behind Closed Doors/Fall On Me/
Smokin' In The Boys Room/Sweet Home Alabama/

"Acoustic Tour 1991" - ReaLive (RLCD04)
Recorded: [1] Toronto, May 9, 1991 [2] Los Angeles (KCRW radio) 4/3/91,
and [3] Charleston, WV (Mountain Stage program), May 4, 1991
Quality: Toronto: Excellent
Los Angeles: Very good (these appear in better quality on
the "Half A World Away - Part 1" CD)
Mountain Stage: Near Excellent
Format: CD
Tracks: [1] World Leader Pretend/Radio Song/Love is All Around/
Losing My Religion/[3] Fall on Me/It's the End of the World/
Belong/[2] Low/Endgame/Swan Swan H./Spooky/
Disturbance at the Heron House/[1] Fretless/
[3] Dallas/Losing My Religion (alternate)/
World Leader Pretend (alternate)/

"Slightly Out Of Time" - ? (92-R-14-07)
Recorded: Studio Outtakes from "Out Of Time"
Quality: Slightly Above Average
Format: CD (AAD)
Released: March, 1992
Tracks: Radio Song/Belong/Texarcana/Losing My Religion/Instrumental/
Shiny Happy People/Me In Honey/Half A World Away/
Losing My Religion (alternative version)/Radio Song/
Near Wild Heaven/Instrumental [Fretless]/Low/
Country Feedback/Ghost Riders [Reindeer]/Gave Too Much Away/
New Song/Endgame/

"Outtakes Of Time" - Gema (?)
Recorded: Studio Outtakes from "Out Of Time"
Quality: Above average, some tape hiss
Format: CD (AAD) [19 tracks, 75:57]
Tracks: Radio Song/Belong (instrumental)/Texarkana/
It's A Free World Baby/Here I Am Again/Instrumental #1/
Losing My Religion/Instrumental #2/Shiny Happy People/
Me In Honey/Endgame/Half A World Away/Sugar Cane/
Radio Song #2/Near Wild Heaven/Fretless Instrumental/
Low/42nd Street Song/Country Feedback/

"Time of Outtakes" - no label (CD-9201)
Recorded: Bearsville Studios/New York - Winter 1990
Quality: excellent
Format: CD
Notes: "Out of Time" outtakes in quality matching that of
commercial release - superior to both "Slightly Out of Time"
and "Outtakes of Time" CD bootlegs
Tracks: Half a World Away/Night Swim/Fretless/Instrumental/
Texarkana (M. Stipe vocals)/It's a Free World Baby/
Low/Endgame/Radio Song (soft)/Country Feedback/
Losing My Religion/Speed Metal/Kerouac No. 4/
Near Wild Heaven/Shiny Happy People/Belong/
Radio Song (hard)/Me in Honey

"Poets Of The Wheat" - Beech Marten Records (BM 049/2)
Recorded: [1] BBC Studios, (London) - 1991
[2] Seattle - 1991 [although the tracks listing lends itself
to the Westward One/Orlando '89 show]
Quality: Average
Format: Double CD
Released: late, 1991
Tracks: (disk 1) [1] Don't Talk To Me/Me In Honey/Half A World Away/
Radio Song/Losing My Religion/It's Written In The Wind/
[2] Pop Song/Exhuming McCarthy/Listen (To Me)/
Disturbance At The Heron House/Turn You Inside Out/
Orange Crush/Feeling Gravity's Pull/Swan Swan H/
(disk 2) Begin The Begin/Pretty Persuation/I Believe/
King Of Birds/Crazy/Finest Worksong/You Are Everything/
Your Academy/Stand/Perfect Circle/Get Up/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It/

"Radio Songs" - no label (CD-101)
Recorded: NDR, Studio 11, Hamburg, March 5, 1991
Quality: outstanding (soundboard tape)
Format: CD
Notes: this is an unedited tape and contains all on-stage
chatter as well as banter between the band and technicians
in the sound truck. from the discussion, it appears that
Losing My Religion was aired on radio live during this
session.
Tracks: World Leader Pretend/Half a World Away/Belong/Fretless/
Radio Song (2 false starts)/Radio Song (with intro)/
You Are My Everything (sic)/Losing My Religion/
Radio Song (breakdown)/Radio Song (version 2/without intro)

"From The Borderline" - Red Phantom (RPCD 2038/2039)
Recorded: [1] Borderline (London) - March 15, 1991
[2] Shocking Club (Milano) - March 22, 1991
Quality: Very Good (audience recording)
Format: Double CD
Released: September, 1991
Notes: Recorded under the pseudo name, Bingo Hand Job
Tracks: (disc 1) [1] Intro/World Leader Pretend/Half A World Away/
Fretless/The One I Love/Hello In There/
My Youngest Son Came Home Today/Jackson-Dallas/
Disturbance At The Heron House/Belong/Low/
Love Is All Around/You Are The Everything/Swan Swan H/
Radio Song/
(disc 2) Perfect Circle/Endgame/Pop Song 89/
Losing My Religion/Fall On Me (part 1)/Fall On Me (part 2)/
Tom's Diner/You Ain't Goin' Nowhere/Get Up/Moon River/
[2] Half A World Away/Swan Swan H/Belong/Driver 8/Low/
Fretless/Losing My Religion/

"REM As Bingo Hand Job" - ? (?)
Recorded: The Borderline Club (London) - 3.15.91
Quality:
Format: LP
Released: ?
Tracks: World Leader Pretend/Half a World Away/Fretless/The
One I Love/Hello in There/My Oldest Son/Dallas/Disturbance
at the Heron House/Belong/Low/Love is All Around/Radio
Song/Pop Song/Losing My Religion/Fall on Me/Stipe at
Organ/Tom's Diner/Listening to the [I cant read my
writing]/You Ain't Going Nowhere/Get Up/Moon River/

"Low" - Templar Records (TCD 28)
Recorded: Shocking Club (Milano) - March 22, 1991
Quality: Excellent (first minute is average)
Format: CD
Released: August, 1991
Tracks: Disturbance At The Heron House/Half A World Away/Swan Swan H/
Belong/Driver 8/Low/Fretless/Love Is All Around/
Losing My Religion/Fall On Me/Get Up/

"Blue" - ? (?)
Recorded: From MTV's "Unplugged"
Quality: Above Average, a little on the "flat" side.
Format: CD
Released: 1991
Tracks: Half A World Away/Disturbance At The Heron House/Radio Song/
Low/Don't Give Up/Fall On Me/Belong/Come On And Let It Show/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)/
Losing My Religion/[Pop Song '89]/

"Radio Song" - On Stage Records (?)
Recorded: Various (Swan Swan H and beyond is from Orlando)
Quality: Very Good
Format: CD (43:16)
Tracks: Radio Song/Losing My Religion/Fretless/Me In Honey/
Half A World Away/Love Is All Around/Swan Swan H/
Begin The Begin/Pop Song '89/Turn You Inside Out/
You Are The Everything/Perfect Circle/

"Animal's Attractions" - Speedball (SBC012)
Recorded: From MTV's "Unplugged"
Quality: Excellent
Format: CD (ADD)
Released: November, 1991
Tracks: Half A World Away/Disturbance At The Heron House/Radio Song/
Low/Perfect CIrcle/Fall On Me/Belong/Love Is Around/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)/
Losing My Religion/She Will Talk About The Weather/

"The Complete Unplugged Show" Germany GEMA (RCCD 4742)
Recorded: From MTV's "Unplugged"
Quality: Excellent
Format: CD
Released: ?
Length: 55:31
Notes: omits "Endgame" despite listing it. The bonus tracks of
"Ghost Rider", "Funtime", and "Return Of The Popsong"
(PS89 acoustic version, as on the PS89 US and "Stand"
UK & elsewhere b-sides) are not from Unplugged. Cheering was
added between these 3 songs to make them appear to be live.
Tracks: Half A World Away/Disturbance At The Heron House/Radio Song/
Low/Perfect CIrcle/Fall On Me/Belong/Love Is Around/
It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)/
Losing My Religion/She Will Talk About The Weather/

"Latex Or Oil Based?" - Bullseye Records (CD-EYE-11)
Recorded: during 1991 acoustic tour (see notes in track listing)
[1] from Mountain Stage
[2] from Rockline rehearsal
[3] from Rockline r
Quality: very good to excellent
Format: CD
Tracks: [1] World Leader Pretend/Radio Song/Fall On Me/
It's The End Of The World.../Half a World Away/
Belong/Love Is All Around/Losing My Religion/
[2] Radio Song/Half A World Away/
Love is All Around (Fragment 1)/
Love is All Around (Fragment 2)/
[3] Half A World Away/Radio Song/Love Is All Around/
Losing My Religion/Jam & Dialogue/

"Half A World Away Part One" - Mongoose Records (MONG CD007A)
Recorded: [1] KCRW (4/3/91)
[2] Christmas Singles
Quality: Very Good to Excellent
Format: CD
Released: January, 1992
Tracks: [1] World Leader Pretend/Half A World Away/Fretless/
Disturbance At The Heron House/Radio Song/Low/
Love Is All Around/Academy Fight Song/Tusk/Dallas/
Losing My Religion/Mary Tyler Moore Theme/Bandwagon/
Endgame/Jackson/Swan Swan H/Spooky/Radio Ethepia/
Fall On Me/[2] Deck The Halls/Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers/
See No Evil/Good King Wenceles/Academy Fight Song/
Ghost Reindeer In The Sky/Summertime/

"Half A World Away Part Two" - Mongoose Records (MONG CD007B)
Recorded: [3] MTV's Unplugged
[4] Rockline (4/1/91)
[5] Saturday Night Live (4/13/91)
Quality: Very Good to Excellent
Format: CD
Released: January, 1992
Tracks: [3] Half A World Away/Disturbance At The Heron House/
Radio Song/Low/Perfect Circle/Fall On Me/Untitled [Belong]/
Love Is All Around/It's The End Of The World As We Know It/
Losing My Religion/Pop Song '89/Endgame/Half A World Away/
[4] Radio Song/Love Is All Around/Losing My Religion/
[5] Losing My Religion/Shiny Happy People/

"Harmonics in Eternity" - ? (?)
Recorded: 4/3/91 (SNAP FM Show - KCRW)
Quality: ?
Format: LP
Released: ?
Tracks: World Leader Pretend/Fretless/Smiling Faces
Sometimes/Tink (Tusk)/Losing My Religion/Endgame/Jackson/
Swan Swan H/Spooky/Falling On Me/Radio Song/Enjoy being a
boy

"gravity" - Stentor (Sten 91.036)
Recorded: Live USA (No date given)
Quality:
Format: CD
Released: 1992
Notes: All songs by Berry/Buch/Mills/Stipe (sic). This would
appear to be the same as the "Perfect Circle" boot.
Tracks: Pop Song/McCarty (sic)/Welcome to the Occupation/Heron House/
If I Could Turn You Inside Out/Orange Crush/Gravity/
Swan Swan/Begin the Begin/Pretty Pursuasion/I Believe/
King of the Birds/Crazy/Finest Worksong/You are the
Everything/Academy Fight Song/Stand/Perfect Circle/
Get up/End of the World/

"Perfect Circle" - Pluto Records (PLR CD 9136)
Recorded: Live in the USA
Quality:
Format: CD
Released: 1993
Notes: This would appear to be the same as the "Gravity" boot.
Recording dates info is from the CD itself.
Tracks: Pop Song/McCarty (sic)/Welcome to the Occupation/Heron House/
If I Could Turn You Inside Out/Orange Crush/Gravity/
Swan Swan/Begin the Begin/Pretty Pursuasion/I Believe/
King of the Birds/Crazy/Finest Worksong/You are the
Everything/Accademy (sic) Fight Song/Stand/Perfect Circle/
Get up/End of the World/

"Covering Them" - Why Not? Italy, Backstage (BKCD057)
Recorded: Live in the 80s/90s in the USA
Quality: Average to very good.
Format: CD
Released:
Notes: The information on the recording dates is from the cover
of the CD. Mrs. Robinson is by Mike Mills, Robyn Hitchcock,
and Jules Shear at Waterloo Records in Austin, TX March 1993
at the South By Southwest music conference (info courtesy of
an old fanclub newsletter). "Love Is All Around" and "Funtime"
are from 40 Watt Club 11-19-92. "You Aint Goin Nowhere" is from
BHJ 3-14-91. "One" is from the Inaugural Ball.
Tracks: California Dreamin/Eight Miles High/Roadrunner/Pale Blue
eyes/So You Want to be A Rock 'n' Roll Star/ Femme Fatale/
See no Evil/There She Goea Again/Paint it Black/Radar Love/
Pills/Have You Ever Seen the Rain/In the Year 2525/
Smoking in the Boys Room/Toys in the Attic/Love is all
Around/Funtime/You Ain't Goin' Nowhere (Mongrel Mix)/
One/Mrs Robinson/Sweet Jane/Afterhours/

"Automatically Live" - Kiss The Stone (KTS 141)
Recorded: November 19, 1992 (40 Watt Club, Athens, GA)
Quality: a little flat, but acceptable
Format: CD [pic-disc] (70:12)
Released: February, 1993
Notes: "Losing My Religion" [1] is not from the 40 Watt show,
but appears to be an MTV performance (?)
Tracks: Drive/Monty Got A Raw Deal/Man On The Moon/
Losing My Religion/Country Feedback/Begin The Begin/
Fall On Me/Me In Honey/Finest Worksong/Drive/
Love Is All Around/Fun Time/Radio Free Europe/
[1] Losing My Religion/

"This Is It!" - Red Phantom Records (RPCD 1117)
Recorded: November 19, 1992 (40 Watt Club, Athens, GA)
Quality:
Format: CD
Released: March, 1993
Notes: "One" and "Candy Everybody Wants" [2] are from the
MTV Presidential Ball (Jan 20, 1993)
Tracks: Drive/Monty Got A Raw Deal/Man On The Moon/
Losing My Religion/Country Feedback/Begin The Begin/
Fall On Me/Me In Honey/Finest Worksong/Drive/
Love Is All Around/Fun Time/Radio Free Europe/
[2] One/Candy Everybody Wants/

"The Trouble With Micheal" - ? (?)
Recorded: November 19, 1992 (40 Watt Club, Athens, GA)
Quality: ?
Format: CD
Released ?
Tracks: Drive/Monty Got A Raw Deal/Man On The Moon/
Losing My Religion/Country Feedback/Begin The Begin/
Fall On Me/Me In Honey/Finest Worksong/Drive/
Love Is All Around/Fun Time/Radio Free Europe/Everybody
Hurts/

"Consider Life" - ? (?)
Recorded: November 19, 1992 (40 Watt Club, Athens, GA)
Quality: ?
Format: CD
Released: ?
Notes: One and Candy Everybody Wants (listed as Hello
in there) from 01/20/93
Tracks: Drive/Monty Got A Raw Deal/Man On The Moon/
Losing My Religion/Country Feedback/Begin The Begin/
Fall On Me/Me In Honey/Finest Worksong/Drive/
Love Is All Around/Fun Time/Radio Free Europe/One/Candy Everybody
Wants/

"We Support Greenpeace" - ? (?)
Recorded: November 19, 1992 (40 Watt Club, Athens, GA)
Quality: ?
Format: CD
Released: ?
Notes: Generally considerd the "best" of the several boots
of this show
Tracks: Drive/Monty Got A Raw Deal/Man On The Moon/
Losing My Religion/Country Feedback/Begin The Begin/
Fall On Me/Me In Honey/Finest Worksong/Drive/
Love Is All Around/Fun Time/Radio Free Europe/

"Automatic People" - Red Devil (005)
Recorded: November 19, 1992 (40 Watt Club, Athens, GA)
Quality: ?
Format: ?
Released: ?
Notes:
Tracks: Drive/Monty Got A Raw Deal/Man On The Moon/
Losing My Religion/Country Feedback/Begin The Begin/
Fall On Me/Me In Honey/Finest Worksong/Drive/
Love Is All Around/Fun Time/Radio Free Europe/Losing
my religion/

"It's a Free World" - Save the Earth (017)
Recorded: November 19, 1992 (40 Watt Club, Athens, GA)
Quality: ?
Format: ?
Released: ?
Notes: "Candy Everybody Wants" and "One" are from the MTV
Inaguraul Ball. "Candy Everybody Wants" is misidentified
as "Hello In There"
Tracks: Candy Everybody Wants/One/Drive/Monty Got A Raw Deal/
Man On The Moon/Losing My Religion/Country Feedback/Begin
The Begin/Fall On Me/Me In Honey/Finest Worksong/Drive/
Love Is All Around/Fun Time/Radio Free Europe/

"Man on the Moon" - Living Legend (LLRCD 205)
Recorded: November 19, 1992 (40 Watt Club, Athens, GA)
Quality: ?
Format: ?
Released: ?
Notes: Nice picture disc of an astronaunt on the moon
Tracks: Drive/Monty Got A Raw Deal/Man On The Moon/
Losing My Religion/Country Feedback/Begin The Begin/
Fall On Me/Me In Honey/Finest Worksong/Drive/
Love Is All Around/Fun Time/Radio Free Europe/

"Ultra Rare Trax" - GEMA (RUCD 4742)
Recorded: The album states - "All songs recorded live in the USA."
Quality: ?
Format: CD
Released: Unknown
Notes: "Including rare acoustic versions, unreleased songs and
exciting coverversions."
[1] is 11/19/92, Athens GA
[2] is 01/20/93, Inaugural Ball
[3] is 03/18/83, Washington DC
[4] is 03/22/91, Milan Italy
[5] is the MTV 10th Anniversary
[6] is 11/21/84 Nottingham UK
[7] is 09/14/87, Utrecht (maybe)
[8] is 04/30/89, Orlando FL
Tracks: One (featuring U2) [2]/Fretless [4]/Hello in There
(featuring 10,000 Maniacs, actually it's "Candy
Everybody Wants) [2]/Romance [3]/Gardening at Night [3]/
Oddfellows Local 151 [7]/1,000,000 [6]/
Have You Ever Seen the Rain/Last Date [3]/Fun Time [1]/
Radio Free Europe [1]/Crazy [8]/Ages of You [3]/Love is
all Around [4]/Driver 8 [4]/Man on the Moon [1]/
Everybody Hurts [1]/Drive [1]/Loosing My Religion [5]/
Carnival of Sorts [3]

"Live collection" - Living Legend Records (LLRCD 153)
Recorded: see notes
Quality: ?
Format: CD
Released: ?
Notes: Tracks 1-5 were taken from live recordings in Madison
(1982), tracks 6-15 were taken from the Orlando Westwood
One show, and the last four tracks were recorded March 13,
1991 in London on BBC Radio One for the Nicky Campbell
"Into the Night" radio show. The band also performed
"Fretless," and "World Leader Pretend" at the same session.

Tracks: Gardening at night/Radio free europe/White tornado/
West of the fields/There she goes again/Pop song/
Listen to me/Turn you inside out/Orange crush/Swan Swan H/
Begin the begin/Stand/Perfect circle/Get Up/
It's the end of the world as we know it(And I feel fine)/
Losing my religion/Half a world away/Radio song/
Love is all around/

"Reality in Colour" Rotation (ROTA 01)
Recorded: see notes
Quality: very good to excellent
Format: CD
Released: ?
Notes: Tracks 1-8 from Mountain Stage (05/04/91), tracks 9-11
from rehersals for Rockline (01/04/91), tracks 12-15 from
Rockline Radio Show 01/04/91, track 16 from Saturday Night
Live, track 17 from the 40 Watt Club 09/11/92
Tracks: World Leader Pretend/Radio Song/Fall on Me/It's the end of
the world as we know it (and I feel fine)/Half a World away/
Belong/Love is all around/Losing my Religion/Radio Song/
Half a world away/Love is all around/Half a world away/Radio
song/Love is all around/Losing my Religion/Shiny Happy people
Drive/Man on the moon

"FUNTIME Live Rarities through the U.S. - Years 84-91" - Black Rose (BRR 0393)
Limited Edition
Recorded:
Quality: ?
Format: CD
Released: ?
Notes: I did not see the original post with the track listing
of this boot. The following list is from a follow-up
post regarding what was "really" on the cd, as opposed
to the track listing on the cd itself. (David DeWolfe)
Tracks: Radio Song (Tower of Luv Bug Mix)/Shiny Happy People
(Music Mix)/Finest Worksong (Lengthy Club Mix)/
Belong (instrumental)/Parade of the Wooden Soldiers
(alternate version 88)/See No Evil (1988 fan club single)/
Academy Fight Song (1989 fan club single)/
Summertime (1989 fan club single)/Low (acoustic part I & II)/
Radio Song (Monster Mix)/Finest Worksong (Other Mix)/
Man On The Moon (special version)/Have You Ever Seen The Rain
(live 85)/Ghostrider In The Sky (alternate version 88)/
Tainted Obligation (demo alternate version 84)/
Losing My Religion (live in the studio 91)/
Funtime Radar Love (live USA)

"Hitting the Note" - Backstage Records (?)
Recorded: ?
Quality: ?
Format: CD
Released: ?
Length: 60:16
Notes: Contains Unplugged show and assorted live 89-93.
Tracks: Perfect Circle/Low/Belong/Disturbance at the Heron
House/It's the End of the World as we know it/Love is all
around/Losing my religion/Fall on me/Radio song/?/Pop song
'89/Summertime/Moon River/Dark globe/One/

"It's REM Jim, But Not As We Know Them..." Tarantula (TNT 004/5 (Insert))
Recorded: ?
Quality: ?
Format: CD
Released ?
Notes: The catalog # on the CD and spine is TNT 006. "Where's
Captain Kirk?" is from an AM broadcast,and is
in mono.The other fan club singles sound much better
on _Half A World Away Part One_. "Dallas" even has
the Larry Groce guy doing the "You've been listening to
Mountain Stage" voiceover. The second track listing below
is how they are listed on the CD itself.
Length: 74:34
Tracks: Where's Captain Kirk?/Parade of the Tin (sic) Soldiers/
See No Evil/Good King Wenceslas/Academy Fight Song/Spooky/
Dallas/Half A World Away Out Of Time (sic)/Texakana (sic)/
It's A Free World Baby/Low/Radio Song/Country Feedback/
Losing My Religion/Near Wild Heaven/Shiny Happy People/
Radio Song/Me In Honey/Everybody Hurts/Drive/
Tracks: Where's My Log?/Wooden Soldiers/Evil, Where?/Wenceslas/
Academy/Spook/salad/Half/Texas/Free World/Lo!/Radio/
Feedback/Lost God/N.W.H./Happy/Radio #2/Honey/
Everybody Drives/

"Radio Dreamtime" - Best Buy Records (010)
Recorded: Recorded live in USA '93 (see Notes below)
Quality: ?
Format: ?
Released: ?
Notes: This is actually a compilation of 18 live cuts
from the Green Tour, 40 Watt Club Gig, MTV, SNL, and
God knows what else
Tracks: Loosing (sic) my religion/?

Section 2: Early R.E.M. Recording Sessions (1980-1985)

Date: late 1980
Location: Tyrone's, Athens, GA
Comments: first demos, recorded on Tyrone's' 4-track recorder, often
mislabeled as "Garage demos," "Church demos" or "Atlanta demos"
Tracks: Dangerous Times, All the Right Friends, Different Girl,
Narrator, Just a Touch, Baby I, Mystery to Me,
Permanent Vacation
Availability: "Chronic Murmurings" bootleg LP, side 1 (all tracks)
"Pretty Pictures" bootleg LP, side 4 (all except first track)

Date: Feb. 8, 1981
Location: Bombay Studio, Smyrna, GA
Comments: 8-track recordings
Tracks: Sitting Still, Radio Free Europe, Shaking Through,
Gardening at Night, Mystery to Me, (Don't Go Back To) Rockville,
Narrator, White Tornado
Availability: availability unknown (_It Crawled..._ claims these have never
surfaced)

Date: April 15, 1981
Location: Drive-In Studio, Winston-Salem, NC
Comments: 16-track recordings, sometimes called "Dangerous" demos (because
of the "Danger: Do Not Open" seal placed on the 400 demo
cassettes mailed to record companies, music magazines, etc.)
Tracks: Radio Free Europe, Sitting Still, White Tornado,
Radio Free Dub (weird Mitch Easter Remix of RFE)
Availability: The Hib-Tone single contains a 5/25/81 Jonny Hibbert remix of
this session's "Radio Free Europe" backed with this session's
version of "Sitting Still." Both sides of the single can also
be found on the bootleg "Really Exciting Music" (side 1,
tracks 5 & 6). "Eponymous" contains a Mitch Easter remix of
this session's "Radio Free Europe." "Murmur" contains a
slowed-down and remixed version of this session's "Sitting
Still" (with backing vocals "repaired"). "Dead Letter Office"
contains this session's "White Tornado." Finally, the bizarre
"Radio Free Dub" can be found on the bootleg "Smokin' in the
Boys' Room" (side 2, track 6).

Date: October 2,3,4 & 7, 1981
Location: Drive-In Studio, Winston-Salem, NC
Comments: sessions originally planned for release on "Dasht Hopes" label
Tracks: 1,000,000 (3 versions), Stumble (1 version), Gardening at
Night (3 versions), Carnival of Sorts (Boxcars) (4 versions),
Ages of You (1 version), Jazz Lips, Shaking Through (2 versions)
Availability: one version of each of these tracks, with the exception of
"Jazz Lips", can be found on the bootleg "Chronic Murmurings"
(side 2) as can a 2nd version of "1,000,000" (side 4, track 4).
"Jazz Lips" can be found on the bootleg flexi "Chestnut."
The "Chronic Town" EP contains from this session "Stumble",
one version of "1,000,000" and one version of "Gardening at
Night" (with vocals replaced). "Eponymous" includes this same
version of "Gardening at Night" but with the original vocal.

Date: Jan. 27 & 28, 1982
Location: Drive-In Studio, Winston-Salem, NC
Comments: more "Dasht Hopes" sessions
Tracks: Wolves, Lower (3 versions, all too fast), Carnival of Sorts
Availability: one too-fast version of "Wolves, Lower" can be found on the
bootleg "Chronic Murmurings." (side 4, track 3) The "Chronic
Town" EP contains this session's version of "Carnival of Sorts
(Boxcars)"

Date: Feb. 1 & 2, 1982
Location: RCA Studio C, New York
Comments: often mislabelled "IRS demos." These tracks were also planned
for release on "Dasht Hopes" label.
Tracks: Laughing (1 take), Shaking Through (1 take),
Carnival of Sorts (Boxcars) (1 take), Romance (3 takes),
Wolves, Lower (3 takes), Stumble (1 take), Catapult (5 takes)
Availability: one version of each can be found on the bootleg "Chronic
Murmurings" (side 3, tracks 1-5 and side 4, tracks 1 & 2).
The same tracks can be also found on the bootleg "Pretty
Pictures" (side 3, tracks 1-7).

Date: June 1, 1982
Location: Drive-In Studio, Winston-Salem, NC
Comments:
Tracks: Wolves, Lower (slower version)
Availability: This session's version of "Wolves, Lower" is the version
released on the "Chronic Town" EP.

Date: December, 1982
Location: Reflection Sound Studio, Charlotte, NC
Comments: trial session for "Murmur"; first 24-track recording
Tracks: Pilgrimage
Availability: This version of "Pilgrimage" was released on "Murmur"

Date: January & February, 1983
Location: Reflection Sound Studio, Charlotte, NC
Comments: "Murmur" sessions.
Tracks: All remaining "Murmur" tracks were recording during these
sessions, along with "Ages of You," "Romance" and "Burning
Down." In addition, the band recorded the following songs
live to 2-track during these sessions: There She Goes Again,
That Beat, Pretty Persuasion, All the Right Friends,
Tighten Up, Moon River and White Tornado.
Availability: "Dead Letter Office" contains this session's version of
"Ages of You" (later remixed) as well as "There She Goes
Again." Side 1 (tracks 1-5) of the bootleg "Pretty Pictures"
contains "There She Goes Again," "That Beat," "All the Right
Friends," "Tighten Up" and "Moon River", all from these
sessions. Finally, the recent European reissue of the
"Reckoning" CD contains this session's live-to-2-track
recordings of "Pretty Persuasion," "Tighten Up," "Moon River"
and "White Tornado." Availability of the versions of
"Romance" (a 1986 re-recording of which was released on
"Eponymous"), and "Burning Down" recorded during this
session is unknown.

Date: November 9, 1983
Location: Rhythmic Studios, San Francisco, CA
Comments: direct to digital 2-track recordings; "Reckoning" demos
Tracks: 24 demos, all recorded in one day: That Beat, Walter's Theme,
Walter's Bar-B-Q ad, Cushy Tush ad, Burning Down,
All the Right Friends, Windout, Femme Fatale, Burning Hell,
The Lion Sleeps Tonight, Skank, All the Right Friends,
So. Central Rain, Letter Never Sent, Little America,
Camera, Second Guessing (2 versions), Harborcoat,
Seven Chinese Brothers, Just a Touch, Pretty Persuasion,
Pale Blue Eyes and Time After Time.
Availability: all available on bootleg cassette "We Got Rhythm". Also,
nine of the tracks are available on the bootleg LP
"Pretty Pictures" (side 1, tracks 6 & 7 and side 2, tracks 1-7).

Date: December, 1983 and January, 1984
Location: Reflection Sound Studio, Charlotte, NC
Comments: "Reckoning" sessions
Tracks: all tracks released on Reckoning, along with:
Voice of Harold, Burning Down, Mystery to Me, Just a Touch,
Windout (2 versions, one w/ Jefferson Holt on lead vocal),
Burning Hell, Crazy and Gardening at Night (2 versions,
1 acoustic). Also, recorded live to 2-track were Pale Blue
Eyes, Femme Fatale, Walter's Theme and King of the Road.
Availability: The "Dead Letter Office" LP contains this session's
"Voice of Harold," "Burning Down", "Windout" (std. vocal)
and all four of the live-to-2-track numbers listed above.
The bootleg "Chronic Murmurings" contains this session's
"Just a Touch" and "Windout" (w/ Jefferson Holt lead vocal)
(side 4, tracks 5 & 6). The latter song can also now be
found on the European CD reissue of "Reckoning." The
availability of the remaining tracks is unknown, however,
the acoustic version of "Gardening at Night" has been
announced as one of the bonus tracks on the next wave of
IRS European CD reissues.

Date: February & March, 1985
Location: London
Comments: "Fables" sessions - details are sketchy
Tracks: all tracks for "Fables of the Reconstruction" plus the
following: Bandwagon, Burning Hell, Hyena, When I Was Young,
Theme From Two Steps Onward and Crazy.
Availability: "Bandwagon," "Burning Hell" and "Crazy" from these sessions
were released on "Dead Letter Office."

Section 3: Radio Shows

Title: "Off the Record"
Recorded: November, 1991
Format: CD
Content: Music and Interview

Title: "On The Edge"
Recorded: November, 1992
Format: CD
Content: Music and Interview

Title: "Up Close"
Recorded: 1992
Format: 2 X CD
Content: Music and Interview

Section 4: Credits

bt garner (b...@cpac.washington.edu) Founder of the R.E.M. bootleg
list (CIRUL).

CIRUL list contributors:
bt garner (b...@cpac.washington.edu)
Lolita Olson (lol...@eng.auburn.edu)
(ddhu...@ucdavis.edu)
Ernie (e...@pop.cwru.edu)
ricardo (srg...@andy.bgsu.edu)
Jason Solan (jso...@ucs.indiana.edu)
(st10...@brownvm.brown.edu)
(v082...@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu)
woj (w...@remus.rutgers.edu)
Joshua X. Levine (jos...@garnet.berkeley.edu)
David J. DeWolfe (SX...@orca.alaska.edu)
Tony Santos (maf...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)
Jon Kincaid (dsr...@prism.gatech.edu)
Andrew McParland (andrew.m...@rd.eng.bbc.co.uk)
Colleen E. McLean (ce...@Lehigh.EDU)
Brian (BTME...@amherst.edu)
Gary S. Nabors (nab...@pobox.upenn.edu)
Jay Montgomery (JMMO...@ucs.indiana.edu)
Bruce Lindsay (bruce....@7thwave.sccsi.com)
Tim Pintsch (tim.p...@subsoft.com)
Chris Bray (cs...@engr08.engr.uark.edu)
Mike Wolf (mike...@crl.com)
Jeremy Price (etl...@etlxd20.ericsson.se)
Brooks Duncan (bdu...@infoload.uu.spydernet.com)
Gary H. (Ghue...@AOL.COM)

WITH additional *special thanks* (for lots of LP and early R.E.M. session
information) to:
Kipp Teague (tea...@acavax.lynchburg.edu)

Corrections, additions, etc should be sent to sx...@orca.alaska.edu,
please be sure to include what version of the list you are sending an
update for (this can be found at the top of the list). Thanks.
-------------------------------
Would you now like to:
t - Type out (Re-read) this message
s - Read next unread message on same Subject
n - Read the next unread message
b - Back up - read the previous message
f - Post reply to this message
r - Reply via E-Mail to author of this message
d - Delete this message, if you are the author
RETURN - Go back to the list of headers
Enter Command:

JP Sullivan

Feb 18, 2021, 2:16:29 PM2/18/21
Just came across this R.E.M. list, if anyone is interested in trading shows let me know. Or check out the new R.E.M. site dedicated to trading: http://remtimeline.com/listentome/index.php?sid=4269c47c603bcd008fff4e9ff233d71e

Cheers,

JP (OnTheWeekend) jpsu...@gmail.com