REM stands for.......???

sillyquestions

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
What does R. E. M. stand for?

The Sivyers

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
Rapid Eye Movement

sillyquestions <patte...@aafes.com> wrote in message
news:05108cf7...@usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com...

kfj

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
sillyquestions <patte...@aafes.com> wrote in message
news:05108cf7...@usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com...
> What does R. E. M. stand for?

From the RMR FAQ:

<<In the scientific field of sleep research, the acronym r.e.m. indeed stands
for "rapid eye movement," and refers to the stage of sleep in which, among other
things, dreaming occurs. But, in the case of the band, no, it doesn't
necessarily. The story related by Peter Buck on the band's early 1983 Late Night
with David Letterman appearance is that they picked it out of the dictionary
(not all dictionaries include scientific terms like "r.e.m.," so don't be
disappointed if you don't find it) and they liked it because it was so
ambiguous.

From It Crawled from the South:

"'We sat up one night,' says Michael, 'and we just got completely drunk and
rolled around the floor. We had all this chalk, and we took every name anyone
could think of and we wrote it on the wall in the living room. When morning
rolled around, we pointed and erased, and it was between R.E.M. and Negro Eyes,
and we thought *that* probably wouldn't go over too well outside our immediate
circle of friends!'" (p. 24). >>

If you have more questions, i would suggest reading the faq in the link below.

http://people2.clarityconnect.com/webpages6/ronhenry/remfaq.htm

-k

--
In fact, frankfurters are generally agreed to be incapable of assuming glamour
unless they are nestled in the cleavage of Grace Kelly. Even then it's

Rob

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
sillyquestions wrote in message
<05108cf7...@usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com>...

>What does R. E. M. stand for?

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
Will these people ever learn.........???????????

Rob Baker
- - -
* "If you don't like your job, you don't strike. You just
go in every day and do it really half-assed." *
- Homer Simpson

Parakeets & Sidewinders - a testament to the work of R.E.M.
http://www.wishcity.freeserve.co.uk/rem/

Rotary 10 - the R.E.M. trading post
http://www.wishcity.freeserve.co.uk/rotary10/

Memento Mori - a tribute to Patti Smith
http://www.wishcity.freeserve.co.uk/patti/

Lexington 125 - a venture into the Velvet Underground
http://www.wishcity.freeserve.co.uk/velvet/

Rob

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00

The Sivyers wrote in message ...
>Rapid Eye Movement

*shakes head sorrowfully*
... obviously not!!!

kfj

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
The Sivyers <siv...@cwcom.net> wrote in message

> > What does R. E. M. stand for?

> Rapid Eye Movement

that is what the scientific term stands for, yes. but the band has noted that in
their actual legal document contract things that the name of the band is
R.E.M. - three letters, three dots. and specifically requested that promoters
and the like NOT use rapid eye movement for promotional purposes. So that's NOT
what R.E.M. means when speaking of the band.
-k

if you have other questions about the band you might want to read our FAQ here
in rmr:
http://people2.clarityconnect.com/webpages6/ronhenry/remfaq.htm

-k

--
In fact, frankfurters are generally agreed to be incapable of assuming glamour
unless they are nestled in the cleavage of Grace Kelly. Even then it's

arguable. -James Lileks

The Sivyers

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
In a book about REM called Remarks - the story of REM by Tony Fletcher, it
talks about how REM got their name, apparently, on one of their first gigs
they asked fans to write names one the walls of the hall which they thought
would be appropriate, the next morning they found REM and stuck with it

Ryan

kfj <kar...@hotashouseonfire.comma> wrote in message

kfj

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00

> In a book about REM called Remarks - the story of REM by Tony Fletcher, it
> talks about how REM got their name, apparently, on one of their first gigs
> they asked fans to write names one the walls of the hall which they thought
> would be appropriate, the next morning they found REM and stuck with it

no.

I have remarks, too and you're mis-remembering the story.

The band, no fans present, wrote the names on the wall. But they chose the name
from the dictionary. Please read the FAQ:

http://people2.clarityconnect.com/webpages6/ronhenry/remfaq.htm

which quotes Stipe and Buck on this.

Joseph Robert Drew

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00

> What does R. E. M. stand for?

Hmm...

Really Entertaining Musicians
Rear End Men
Royal Enema Mixers
Rickenbacker Enrobed Mumblings
Really Erect Members (sportin' some wood there 'eh?)
Rarely, Except Mimosas
Rotten Enchilada Munchers
Reading Every Manuscript
Rectal Exam Maniacs
Random Exorcism Ministers
Rabid Edgy Masochists
Regal Equestrian Mamelukes
Remembering Eddie's Manservant

Anybody else?

--
Joseph Robert Drew

homepage: http://masterofdarkness.net
AOL I.M.: MstrODrkns
ICQ: 47174798

Geert Barentsen

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
guys, guys.. It's very simple..

Stipe: "We just liked the dots"

Geert

kfj

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
Vedran Dracic <vdr...@foi.hr> wrote in message

> If I remember correctly, last year when R.E.M. had their appearance at San
> Remo festival, in Italy, the host asked them about the meaning of R.E.M. I
> remember that one Italian poster about a year ago complained about the
> host - let me consult DejaNews. Here it is. From that post:
> "That fool man asked in a very bad english to Michael the most stupid and
> ordinary question of the world. What does R.E.M. mean. Michael replied "You
> can seek it on a dictionary. It means Rapid Eye Movement". "
>
> How about that, k? :-)

i think i would trust what the band says in legal documents and every other
interview over one snarky comment michael made when asked a stupid question for
the 1 millionth time.

snar
-k

In fact, frankfurters are generally agreed to be incapable of assuming glamour
unless they are nestled in the cleavage of Grace Kelly. Even then it's

distiple4

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
I think Michael was quoted somewhere for saying his grandmother told him it
stood for Remember Every Moment.

Also,

Really Eccentric Michael

-Nia

(I'm not implying that Michael is the band.)

--
"Perfect is a fault, and fault lines change."---R.E.M.-I Believe
Joseph Robert Drew <joe...@home.com> wrote in message

Vedran Dracic

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00

kfj <kar...@hotashouseonfire.comma> wrote in message

> that is what the scientific term stands for, yes. but the band has noted
that in
> their actual legal document contract things that the name of the band is
> R.E.M. - three letters, three dots. and specifically requested that
promoters
> and the like NOT use rapid eye movement for promotional purposes. So
that's
> NOT
> what R.E.M. means when speaking of the band.

If I remember correctly, last year when R.E.M. had their appearance at San

isra

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
>What does R. E. M. stand for?

Human rights.

(i owe royalties to someone who once posted this answer.i'm just not feeling
creative enough to come up with anything better right now.)

isra

"Y'all take what God gave ya, put a couple of sequins on it,
and you've got a star"
--Milly,last night of the Lounge Ax

Autumn Hughes

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
Everyone knows that r.e.m. stands for Really Enjoys Masturbation. :)

Autumn.

Snyol

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
Joseph Robert Drew <joe...@home.com> a écrit :

> Really Erect Members (sportin' some wood there 'eh?)
> Rarely, Except Mimosas
> Rotten Enchilada Munchers
> Reading Every Manuscript
> Rectal Exam Maniacs
> Random Exorcism Ministers
> Rabid Edgy Masochists
> Regal Equestrian Mamelukes
> Remembering Eddie's Manservant
>
> Anybody else?

;-))))

Hmm,
Really Elastic Maggot
Reckless Erotic Maiden

or was it Redhot ? I don't know...

--
David

"I'm not suppose to be like this, but it's OK..."

Hank

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:06:13 -0800, sillyquestions
<patte...@aafes.com> yelled 'Everybody knows that the bird is the
word!' before typing:

>What does R. E. M. stand for?
>

>* Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *
>The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

REM stands for liberty and honor under the honor roll.

If no-ones posted the URL for the REM faqs, you can get a reasonably
sensible answer to this at
http://people2.clarityconnect.com/webpages6/ronhenry/remfaq.htm

Does this mean that I've missed the chance to say
'Ready everybody?? Mambo!!'

Curses.

Hank
---
"They look up to you for no reason other than you know
how to play four chords on the guitar and you've got
a nifty haircut." - Peter Buck

Vedran Dracic

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00

> Vedran Dracic <vdr...@foi.hr> wrote in message
>
> > "That fool man asked in a very bad english to Michael the most stupid
> > and
> > ordinary question of the world. What does R.E.M. mean. Michael replied
> > "You
> > can seek it on a dictionary. It means Rapid Eye Movement". "
> >
> > How about that, k? :-)
>
> i think i would trust what the band says in legal documents and every
> other
> interview over one snarky comment michael made when asked a stupid
> question for the 1 millionth time.

True, but the comment was funny and worth mentioning in this context.
I also liked one, posted from the fan from Holland, when Stipe was asked
about the best song of the 20th century. And his answer which was something
like "Yesterday by the Beatles - it has nice lyrics"!

Does anyone know some other similar examples of stupid questions and Stipe's
answers?

And that post from the Italian fan was interesting - he was apologising in
the name of all Italian R.E.M. fans about the host's stupid question - as if
it was a national shame.

Vedran Dracic

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00

distiple4 <e-ca...@nwu.edu> wrote in message

> I think Michael was quoted somewhere for saying his grandmother told him
it
> stood for Remember Every Moment.

Really Excellent Men... I remember that someone said this once when we had a
similar thread. :-)

Pierre JOLY

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
Snyol <sn...@nospam.infonie.fr> a écrit dans l'article
<95153735...@romulus.infonie.fr>...

> Joseph Robert Drew <joe...@home.com> a écrit :
> >
> > Really Erect Members (sportin' some wood there 'eh?)
> > Rarely, Except Mimosas
> > Rotten Enchilada Munchers
> > Reading Every Manuscript
> > Rectal Exam Maniacs
> > Random Exorcism Ministers
> > Rabid Edgy Masochists
> > Regal Equestrian Mamelukes
> > Remembering Eddie's Manservant

In french : Rentrer En Metro ( Come back through tube )
Surtout quand tu decides d aller boire un coup avec les gens que tu
as rencontre au concert d npa..et que tu en sors a 1 heure et demie
quand toutes les stations sont fermes

Zebra Corp.

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
In article <uJ6SXx#f$GA.255@cpmsnbbsa04>, "kfj"
<kar...@hotashouseonfire.comma> wrote:

>Vedran Dracic <vdr...@foi.hr> wrote in message
>

>> If I remember correctly, last year when R.E.M. had their appearance at
>> San
>> Remo festival, in Italy, the host asked them about the meaning of R.E.M.
>> remember that one Italian poster about a year ago complained about the
>> host - let me consult DejaNews. Here it is. From that post:

>> "That fool man asked in a very bad english to Michael the most stupid
>> and
>> ordinary question of the world. What does R.E.M. mean. Michael replied
>> "You
>> can seek it on a dictionary. It means Rapid Eye Movement". "
>>
>> How about that, k? :-)
>
>i think i would trust what the band says in legal documents and every
>other
>interview over one snarky comment michael made when asked a stupid
>question for
>the 1 millionth time.
>

>snar
>-k

R.E.M., the band name, refers to the acronym Rapid Eye Movement,
although the band name does not officially stand for that. Hence, in
answer to the question "what does R.E.M. mean?" That's what it means.

--
- Zebra Corp.

Vedran Dracic

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00

Zebra Corp. <zebr...@who.net> wrote in message

Or we can put it this way: R.E.M. named theirselves after an acronym for
scientific term Rapid Eye Movement, but their name is not Rapid Eye
Movement - their name is R.E.M., three letters and three dots.

Sam Stevenson

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
Am I the only person here who thinks that it really isn't important what (if
anything) it stands for?

--
No wonder you're looking thin, when all that you live on is lipgloss and
cigarettes........
Hank <henry...@SPAMBLOCKvirgin.net> wrote in message

mcho...@my-deja.com

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
Just surf to http://www.mchoeven.freeservers.com and read the 290
submissions so far of what people think R.E.M. stands for. You can even
add your own personal meaning!

Mark van der Hoeven
Always a way to make you smile

In article <05108cf7...@usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com>,

sillyquestions <patte...@aafes.com> wrote:
> What does R. E. M. stand for?
>
> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Free!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Rob

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
Sam Stevenson wrote in message <899m3b$h1v$3...@gxsn.com>...

>Am I the only person here who thinks that it really isn't important what
(if
>anything) it stands for?

No!

teak_8325

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
Rushing Every Moment
Riviting Earth Movement

WEAP0NER

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
Rapid Eye Movement. This is the state of sleep in which dreams occur.

~Stefano

Ze Monsta

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
On 01 Mar 2000 03:44:10 GMT, weap...@aol.com (WEAP0NER) did not write:

""Rapid Eye Movement. This is the state of sleep in which dreams occur.
""
""~Stefano

Which I haven't gotten much of lately. I've been waking up at 1:30-2 am and again at 6 am like
CLOCKWORK for the past few weeks. I haven't managed to get a full night's sleep in over a month.
It's creeping me out... I want to get electrodes stuck to my head in some sleep lab somewhere.
But I hardly ever dream, anyways.
Acutally, to bring this back on topic, one of the most recent dreams I can remember was as follows:
My grandparents had retired and started a consignment-clothing shop in their home. Peter Buck had
given them a bunch of his old clothes. I found out about this and freaked out and went though all
the clothes looking for his stuff, but couldn't find any.

- k a t e y

+ cellophane is thicker than it seems
+ put it on
+ and don't ask what it means
+ parade around

- http://zemonster.tripod.com
- http://altern.org/obitbday

WEAP0NER

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
>But I hardly ever dream, anyways.

Actually, science has proven that we dream every ninety minutes during R.E.M.
sleep, but we don't always remember them. In theory, if you set an alarm to
wake you up every ninety minutes, you would have crystal memories of your
dreams. For some reason though, on the occasions where I do remember my
dreams, the memory fades away by the end of the day...

And yeah, sleep deprivation sucks...

~Stefano
weap...@aol.com

Georgiana Cohen

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
On 04 Mar 2000 08:49:26 GMT, WEAP0NER <weap...@aol.com> brought a guitar into rec.music.rem and sang this song:

: Actually, science has proven that we dream every ninety minutes during R.E.M.

: sleep, but we don't always remember them. In theory, if you set an alarm to
: wake you up every ninety minutes, you would have crystal memories of your
: dreams. For some reason though, on the occasions where I do remember my
: dreams, the memory fades away by the end of the day...

If you dream about R.E.M. during R.E.M. sleep, is that an exercise in
redundancy?

--
*------------------------[ http://rhysa.8m.com ]-------------------------*
|"It's the damage that Georgiana Cohen |

* "High Fidelity" Radio on http://www.bu.edu/wtbu Mondays 3pm to 5pm *

Rob White aka Religion Loser

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
>my
>dreams, the memory fades away by the end of the day...

I can still remeber dreams from when i was about 3, they were scary dreams
though, so thats why i remeber them prolly.

"I can hold my head still with my hands and my knees"

http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/slowdrag -R.E.M.- Try Not To Breathe

Ze Monsta

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
On 4 Mar 2000 13:58:17 GMT, Georgiana Cohen <gvc...@bu.edu> did not write:

""If you dream about R.E.M. during R.E.M. sleep, is that an exercise in
""redundancy?

Isn't the sleep one an ACRONYM, though? My mom pronounces it "rem."

So it's not really redundant... just.... ironic.

- k a t e y

+ cellophane is thicker than it seems
+ put it on
+ and don't ask what it means
+ parade around

| The New NIRVANA F.A.Q. wants YOU!
| http://altern.org/obitbday/faq

WEAP0NER

Mar 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/15/00
>My mom pronounces it "rem."

OK, um, neither the sleep one nor the band's name is pronounced "rem"...

mistert...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2018, 9:27:23 PM7/11/18
Recently employed musicians