When did R.E.M. guest on Beverly Hills 90210

Ere

Jun 24, 2003, 9:20:59 AM6/24/03
My wife and I both swear we remember R.E.M. actually did a cameo on
one of the last seasons of 90210, playing at the fabled 'Peach Pit'
when the David character (or was it Valerie?) was managing it.

Does anyone know when this cameo occured, which show, season or date?

TIA,

Ere

Autumn Hughes

Jun 24, 2003, 10:49:06 AM6/24/03
They did do a "Party of Five" episode a few years back--98 when UP came out.
But as far as 90210 goes, I don't believe they did a cameo. I do remember
that an REM concert got written into one of the episodes. One of the
regulars wanted to impress a girl so he took her to see REM. Silly--they
weren't even touring at that time!
"Ere" <seahawk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jperdue4

Jun 24, 2003, 10:50:15 AM6/24/03

My god in heaven...PLEASE tell me this isnt true?......PLEASE?......
:)
JonP

"That's just what i need...
a good woman to kick
my butt now and then"

Dave Sanchez

Jun 24, 2003, 12:43:41 PM6/24/03
seahawk...@yahoo.com (Ere) wrote in message news:<1096b190.03062...@posting.google.com>...

No it didn't happen.

it was common during that time to hear an REM song played on that or
Melrose Place but never did they appear on those shows.

Chuck Eaton

Jun 24, 2003, 3:33:53 PM6/24/03
You're thinking of Barenaked Ladies. They appeared on 90210.

Ere

Jun 25, 2003, 3:31:01 PM6/25/03
"Chuck Eaton" <chuck...@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:

> You're thinking of Barenaked Ladies. They appeared on 90210.

Also, I researched a bit and Collective Soul also did an appearance.
I knew it was a band that I liked and their credibility took a hit
when they turned up at the Peach Pit.
thanks

Spacebloom69

Jul 5, 2003, 12:27:29 AM7/5/03
REM was playing ('Endgame'?) when Brenda was having a meltdown as to whether or
not she could go to school that day after having been dumped by Dylan.

She was wearing flanel, big @ the time.

REM was on Party of Five. The Violent Femmes were on Sabrina the Teenage Witch,
even more campier.

Doing a search on ImDb & TV Guide.com can help you see what TV shows bands have
done & when they will air.

Spacebloom69

Jul 6, 2003, 3:10:28 PM7/6/03
Speaking of which, the rem/Full House episode is going to repeat 7-13 @ 8am on
WB network.

I'm waiting for the Simpson's rerun, myself, never having taped it.

dark...@ipimuu.org

Jul 6, 2003, 3:52:07 PM7/6/03
if you can get on IRC (IRCnet, #rem, I am locuta there) I can dcc the
simpsons episode to you

Kirsten

"Spacebloom69" <spaceb...@cs.com> wrote in message

$uRoot

Jul 6, 2003, 4:06:29 PM7/6/03
Autumn Hughes wrote:
<snip> I do remember

> that an REM concert got written into one of the episodes. One of the
> regulars wanted to impress a girl so he took her to see REM. Silly--they
> weren't even touring at that time!

Actually, wasn't that from a movie? I don't remember which one, but I
remember some movie about a nuclear war where the people were either
going to, or supposed to be going to an R.E.M. concert (think it was
back around the time of _Green_). Then again, maybe I'm delirious.

Matt

Jul 6, 2003, 4:18:38 PM7/6/03
>Actually, wasn't that from a movie? I don't remember which one, but I
>remember some movie about a nuclear war where the people were either
>going to, or supposed to be going to an R.E.M. concert (think it was
>back around the time of _Green_). Then again, maybe I'm delirious.

I think I know what you're talking about, does the sky turn all red and they
end up at a radio station and then a mall or something?

Matt
Stupid Fan Tricks - A David Letterman Fansite
http://stupidfantricks.tripod.com
-------We're Closed Losers!-------

Andrew Palka

Jul 6, 2003, 9:49:58 PM7/6/03

"$uRoot" <blac...@thinktankdecoy.com> wrote in message

I don't know if this is what you remember but the television adaptation of
Stephen King's The Stand from the early 90's has a similar R.E.M. mention.

Before a military produced strain of super flu decimates 99% of the US
population, Fran Goldsmith (Molly Ringwald) remarks that she has tickets to
an upcoming R.E.M. concert. The concert never gets a chance to happen before
the total breakdown of civilization ensues.

Andrew
"We're always trying to be better songwriters. I think we're doing OK."-Mike
Mills

$uRoot

Jul 6, 2003, 11:04:47 PM7/6/03
Andrew Palka wrote:
<snip>

> I don't know if this is what you remember but the television adaptation of
> Stephen King's The Stand from the early 90's has a similar R.E.M. mention.
>
> Before a military produced strain of super flu decimates 99% of the US
> population, Fran Goldsmith (Molly Ringwald) remarks that she has tickets to
> an upcoming R.E.M. concert. The concert never gets a chance to happen before
> the total breakdown of civilization ensues.

Yes! That was it - _The Stand_. I was thinking nukes, but yeah - that
was it.

Autumn Hughes

Jul 7, 2003, 4:48:52 AM7/7/03
No, I am not thinking of a movie. The synopsis was that Steve (the blond
guy) was dating a materialistic (big suprise!) girl who was only responsive
to him when he bought her gifts. He took her to see r.e.m., and all she did
was bitch that they couldn't get backstage. As he is explaining to her that
he couldn't do it, little David Silver trots out with an armful of
autographed materials boasting that "he got backstage and met the band and
they autographed ALL this stuff, and what nice guys they all were!" I did't
mention it earlier, because, well I didn't want to admit to having such a
detailed memory of a 90210 episode. As far as a nuclear war movie goes--I
don't know about that one.

Kirsten Verdel

Jul 7, 2003, 5:33:26 AM7/7/03

> > Before a military produced strain of super flu decimates 99% of the US
> > population, Fran Goldsmith (Molly Ringwald) remarks that she has tickets
> > an upcoming R.E.M. concert. The concert never gets a chance to happen
before
> > the total breakdown of civilization ensues.
> >

> Yes! That was it - _The Stand_. I was thinking nukes, but yeah - that
> was it.

Wow... purely by coincidence I watched all 6 hours of The Stand again
*yesterday*. And the description of the REM part is 100% accurate :)

Kirsten

Andrew Palka

Jul 7, 2003, 9:33:41 AM7/7/03

"Kirsten Verdel" <dark...@ipimuu.org> wrote in message

I'm overdue to see that again. It's been a few years.

The Stand is one of my favorite books BTW. I 've always thought that the
storyline is a modern day tribute to The Lord Of The Rings.

The six hour mini-series is well done and fairly true to the original book.
It's worth seeing, even if you're not a Stephen King fan.

Kirsten Verdel

Jul 7, 2003, 9:46:03 AM7/7/03

> I'm overdue to see that again. It's been a few years.
>
> The Stand is one of my favorite books BTW. I 've always thought that the
> storyline is a modern day tribute to The Lord Of The Rings.
>
> The six hour mini-series is well done and fairly true to the original
book.
> It's worth seeing, even if you're not a Stephen King fan.

I am a fan... a big one... did you read the darktower series?

Kirsten

REMstar11

Jul 7, 2003, 6:01:17 PM7/7/03

>Speaking of which, the rem/Full House episode is going to repeat 7-13 @ 8am
>on
>WB network.

i love that episode.

jen!
...whip it good...

...we all disagree, i think we should disagree, yeah...--The Strokes.

Spacebloom69

Jul 8, 2003, 8:34:32 AM7/8/03
Don't forget the episode of Mad About You, where the two ditch their good
friends to go to the REM concert w/cooler friends w/better seats.

Or the skit on SNL where Julia Sweeny plays a character who's fast becoming her
mother. When her husband questions her (T. Hanks) about her fave band, she @
first says Patti Page, then REM once he snaps her out of it.

Does anyone remember M. Stipe on the Adventures of Pete & Pete, where he played
the ice cream man?

Andrew Palka

Jul 8, 2003, 10:13:55 AM7/8/03

"Kirsten Verdel" <dark...@ipimuu.org> wrote in message

No I haven't. I started The Gunslinger a few years ago during an airline
flight and after about 20 pages or so decided I wasn't in the mood to read.
No reflection on the book. It was a bumpy uncomfortable flight. But I never
got around to picking it up again. Maybe I should now since I've read that
he is close to finishing the series. I won't have to wait as long for the
conclusion as some of you have...:-)

Kirsten Verdel

Jul 8, 2003, 10:21:21 AM7/8/03
> > I am a fan... a big one... did you read the darktower series?
> >
> > Kirsten
>
> No I haven't. I started The Gunslinger a few years ago during an airline
> flight and after about 20 pages or so decided I wasn't in the mood to
read.
> No reflection on the book. It was a bumpy uncomfortable flight. But I
never
> got around to picking it up again. Maybe I should now since I've read that
> he is close to finishing the series. I won't have to wait as long for the
> conclusion as some of you have...:-)

The Gunslinger is a weird book. It's thin, not much happens... then I went
on to the second book... and it pulls you down... deeper and deeper... by
the end of the rhitd book I was *furious*. I was so angry that the book was
sho short... I could kill King by then... same thing at the end of part
4.... It's incredible... Dark Tower is the best thing King has written...
ever... and I've read *everything* he has written... It's absolutely his
magnum opus... it connects everything from his work, and goes beyond... way
beyond.... I can only die at peace when I've read the end of the series....

So trust me on this one: you HAVE to read the series!!!

Kirsten

Andrew Palka

Jul 8, 2003, 10:21:19 PM7/8/03

"Kirsten Verdel" <dark...@ipimuu.org> wrote in message

I think you've convinced me Kirsten.....:-)

I'll give Gunslinger another shot as soon as I can find it and give book two
a try as well. I'll let you know what I think of it.

sandys...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2019, 9:59:38 PM3/21/19
Which episode did Barenaked Ladies perform ?