Michael and his in-ear monitors

Steve Portigal

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Does anyone know what Michael Stipe is getting through his earpieces? I'm well
aware of what the product is (i.e, monitors), but WHAT specifically? Is
he getting just his voice, a click track, or what? He took it in and out
a number of times within songs, and I am very curious how he is using it.
Also, any information about why he's only using one ear (it's a two-ear
product) would be of interest.

Thanks,

Steve Portigal

--
Steve Portigal GVO INC
Steve.P...@pobox.com Palo Alto, CA

Scott Allison

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Steve Portigal wrote:

> Does anyone know what Michael Stipe is getting through his earpieces? I'm well
> aware of what the product is (i.e, monitors), but WHAT specifically? Is
> he getting just his voice, a click track, or what? He took it in and out
> a number of times within songs, and I am very curious how he is using it.
> Also, any information about why he's only using one ear (it's a two-ear
> product) would be of interest.

They (musicians) tend to have their own voice/instrument, some drums and
bass through monitors, possibly other instruments too, but prominence is
given to the rhythm. As they will often have normal monitors on the
floor they can take in and out the in-ear ones as required. There's no
hard and fast rules, it's what every band member wants they get.

Scott

Steve Portigal

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
>They (musicians) tend to have their own voice/instrument, some drums and
>bass through monitors, possibly other instruments too, but prominence is
>given to the rhythm.
I understand how monitors work.

>floor they can take in and out the in-ear ones as required. There's no
>hard and fast rules, it's what every band member wants they get.

That's what I was asking. What Stipe is doing, specifically.

S. Wells

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
Steve Portigal wrote:

> Does anyone know what Michael Stipe is getting through his earpieces?

"obey satan..obey satan..obey satan..obey satan"

-jenny

Puck

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98

> Steve Portigal wrote:
>
> Does anyone know what Michael Stipe is getting through his earpieces?

His lyrics maybe?
Jerad
--
"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it."
Jack Handy

Neele

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
Puck wrote:

> > Steve Portigal wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know what Michael Stipe is getting through his earpieces?
> >
> His lyrics maybe?
> Jerad

I always thought the earpieces was invented to protect the singer's
eardrums.
I lets through the regular music but it blocks sudden shifts in decibels, so
Micheal does not suffer any ear damage when in concert. Especially loud
guitar riffs suddenly bursting in, can be very loud when you're standing
next to the guitar player.

jack

Christian Kunder

Nov 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/3/98
The earplugs feedback his vocals, so he can hear what he's singing in the
midst of all the other sound.

Chris