Country feedback: what does EST mean?

Robert Andrews

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
J <Jason...@loria.fr> wrote:

>In Country feedback, the lyrics are quoted as being:

>We've been through fake, a breakdown, self hurt,
>plastics, collections. Self help, self pain, EST,
>psychics, fuck all.

>What does the EST mean?

>J.

I think it's Eastern Standard Time (USA East Coast).

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96

rwes...@kate.smith.edu

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
In Article <4dih94$4...@muller.loria.fr>

My guess would be "electro-shock therapy," a somewhat common psychiatric treat-
ment.

|"I have heard the demons howling in my blood." |
| -- Georg Trakl |
| |
|rachel wade westmoreland |
|rwes...@smith.edu |
|http://www.lookup.com/Homepages/62314/home.html |

Lizz Braver

Jan 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/18/96
In article <4dih94$4...@muller.loria.fr>, Jason...@loria.fr says...

>In Country feedback, the lyrics are quoted as being:
>
>We've been through fake, a breakdown, self hurt,
>plastics, collections. Self help, self pain, EST,
>psychics, fuck all.
>
>What does the EST mean?

EST (pronounced est, not by spelling) was the brainchild of Werner Erhardt
(your spelling may vary). It was one of these maximize your potential,
remake your personality, finally succeed in life scams that were popular
in the 70's. Its tactics included not letting its seminar attendees rest
or go to the loo for hours, in order to break through and all that.

It worked about as well as any of these programs did.

Jim Clark

Jan 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/18/96

>I think, in the context of the lyrics, EST refers to a '70's/early
'80's new age self-actualization technique developed by Werner Eckhard.
(I think that's his name.) Produced some very scary human products.

gdu...@wolfenet.com

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
> J <Jason...@loria.fr> writes:

> What does the EST mean?

I think it is in the faq, I forgot off hand what it means.

> J.

Caryn Becker

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
Robert Andrews wrote:

> J <Jason...@loria.fr> wrote:
>
> >In Country feedback, the lyrics are quoted as being:
>
> >We've been through fake, a breakdown, self hurt,
> >plastics, collections. Self help, self pain, EST,
> >psychics, fuck all.
>
> >What does the EST mean?

I always understood it as meaning electric shock therapy, (a.k.a. shock
treatment) as is used to treat serious mental disorders. Often, it's
used to treat severe depression, so seems to make sense.

Nemerov

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
In article <4dka8l$5...@ohww.firmware.com>, di...@ohww.firmware.com (Lizz
Braver) writes:

>EST (pronounced est, not by spelling) was the brainchild of Werner
Erhardt
>(your spelling may vary). It was one of these maximize your potential,
>remake your personality, finally succeed in life scams that were popular
>in the 70's. Its tactics included not letting its seminar attendees rest
>or go to the loo for hours, in order to break through and all that.

"est" is Latin for "it is." The est program promised to help you find "it"
(whatever "it" might be to you). Werner Erhardt (aka Arnold Lipschitz or
something similar to that) was the supreme scam artist.

My sister did it in the very early 80s and thought it was the greatest
thing ever. By the time I was 15, she eventually suckered everyone in my
family (except for lifelong scoffing cynic me) into doing "The Seminar" as
it was called. They all agreed it was life altering, and I felt like a
heretic trapped in a Moonie camp with all their cajoling and codewords.
Personally, I didn't see the point of paying $500 to sit in a room for 48
hours literally being screamed at and addressed as "asshole."

>It worked about as well as any of these programs did.

My sister swore by it then and still is involved to some extent in the
various recent permutations of it. None of the other six family members
who did it seem to carry any of those life-altering qualities they claimed
to have found. They're all lonely, divorced, lost, pathetic, helpless. I
love them, but--hell, let's call a spade a spade.

StrMeKttn

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
i thought it stood for electro shock therapy.....

*me^..^

MikeDeBo

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96
jeeez...they devoted an entire section of the FAQ to this...

...it really would be easier if you read it!!! :->

Big D

Lizz Braver

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
In article <4dur98$g...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, strm...@aol.com says...

>i thought it stood for electro shock therapy.....
>
>*me^..^

"Electroshock therapy" is usually called Electroconvulsive therapy by them
what's done it (or had it). I have assisted with this treatment for
depression in my professional life. The term is not heard pronounced
"est", but by its initials, "E.C.T." or rarely "E.S.T." The weird
self-improvement program was always called "est."

Belinear

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
I can understand how you might think est was shock treatment. EST was
shocking in its ability to scam people out of their money and their
sensibilities, but "electro shock therapy" is actually
"electro-convulsive therapy" ECT. ECT if you want my opinion, has been
shown to be effective in a pretty large percentage of cases of extreme
endogenous depression, cases where the person's depression has been so
profound and long-lasting that it is an obvious chemical problem in the
brain of that person.

In contrast, EST was pretty much crap!

laskowsk...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2020, 1:52:50 AM6/9/20
Rad

me

Jun 28, 2020, 1:23:07 PM6/28/20
In article <4acd93ea-8a13-422f...@googlegroups.com>,
laskowsk...@gmail.com wrote:

> Rad

a system for self-improvement aimed at developing a person's potential
through intensive group awareness and training sessions.