"Losing My Religion" Parody

JuntMonkey

Feb 16, 2001, 7:44:16 PM2/16/01
Many years ago (nine or so), I heard a parody of "Losing My Religion" on the
radio (Z100 NY). It was hilarious, some of the lyrics were like this:

That's me at the drive-thru
That's me in my car, like, trying to eat a Happy Meal...

I thought that I asked for ketchup, I thought that I asked for straws,
I think I thought I saw Ronald McDonald. But that was Mayor McCheese...

Has anybody ever heard it, and if so do you know who sang it and if it is
available? Thanks a lot.

JuntMonkey

TBone

Feb 17, 2001, 3:07:34 AM2/17/01

JuntMonkey <juntm...@aol.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:20010216194416...@ng-ch1.aol.com...

Sounds like Weird Al Jankovich.

TBone

Taylor Dahlin

Feb 17, 2001, 10:40:15 AM2/17/01
>Sounds like Weird Al Jankovich.

*Yankovich. He did one of Stand called 'Spam' and added a little bit of Bang
and Blame in 'The Alternative Polka'.

--Taylor
"We're only what our minds assume." -- The Lifting, R.E.M.
"Usually around this time of the year I go on a tri-state killing spree, but
this year I decided to go on tour with the Minus 5." -- Peter Buck

Message has been deleted

BrgmtNVtvr

Feb 18, 2001, 8:30:11 AM2/18/01
>Jankovich.
>
>*Yankovich.

*Yankovic*. No "h" on the end. I think I have just set a personal record in The
Dullest Thing I've Ever Annoyingly Corrected Anyone About category.

I should say this in Weird Al's defense, though -- he *is* a musical
inspiration to the young'uns. I've offered guitar lessons to my uninterested
eleven-year-old nephew a zillion times, and he finally took me up on it
yesterday when I said I could have him playing the basics of "The Saga Begins"
(the Star Wars spoof on "American Pie") by day's end. And he's doing quite well
with it! Now, alas, he inevitably wants me to teach him how to do "Pretty Fly
For A Rabbi." I may have created a monster. -- Bergie

Andrew Palka

Feb 18, 2001, 3:53:51 PM2/18/01
> I should say this in Weird Al's defense, though -- he *is* a musical
> inspiration to the young'uns. I've offered guitar lessons to my
uninterested
> eleven-year-old nephew a zillion times, and he finally took me up on it
> yesterday when I said I could have him playing the basics of "The Saga
Begins"
> (the Star Wars spoof on "American Pie") by day's end. And he's doing quite
well
> with it! Now, alas, he inevitably wants me to teach him how to do "Pretty
Fly
> For A Rabbi." I may have created a monster. -- Bergie

No Bergie. If he suddenly wants to know if you can give accordion
lessons..........then you will know you have created a
monster...............:-)

Andrew
"We're always trying to be better songwriters. I think we're doing OK."-Mike
Mills

BrgmtNVtvr <brgmt...@aol.com> wrote in message

BrgmtNVtvr

Feb 18, 2001, 6:01:10 PM2/18/01
>No Bergie. If he suddenly wants to know if you can give accordion
>lessons..........then you will know you have created a
>monster...............:-)
>
>Andrew

Whoa. You are so right! The scary thing is, I used to have an accordion. I sold
it some years ago because the damn thing weighed a ton and only gave me a
backache (and everyone else in the vicinity, a headache). If I'd still had it,
I might have spent yesterday trying to teach him "Whole Lotta Lunch."

Even more off-topic footnote: the woman I sold the accordion to was killed in a
car accident last year. Just a few weeks before her death, I ran into her at
the grocery store and she said, "Hey, remember that accordion you sold me? I
swear, this is the year I'm gonna learn to play it!" She was a notorious local
packrat, and when her out-of-town family came to clean out her house, they
rented a huge dumpster and threw just about all her worldly possessions into it
rather than deal with selling or transporting it all. I came remarkably close
to sneaking over there in the middle of the night to rummage through that
dumpster in search of that stupid accordion ... even accordions deserve better
endings than that. --Bergie

Andrew Palka

Feb 19, 2001, 7:37:04 PM2/19/01
>Whoa. You are so right! The scary thing is, I used to have an accordion. I
>sold
>it some years ago because the damn thing weighed a ton and only gave me a
>backache (and everyone else in the vicinity, a headache). If I'd still had
it,
>I might have spent yesterday trying to teach him "Whole Lotta Lunch."

We're kindred spirits Bergie! My Dad's side of the family is Polish and he
must have really wanted another polka player in the family because he
actually conned me into taking accordion lessons for about a year when I was
11 or so.

I hated it but I stuck it out because I didn't have the heart to tell him
how much I truly loathed it. When I finally got the guts to tell him I
wanted to study guitar instead he refused to subsidize my musical education
any further.

The accordion sat unused in a closet for about 10 years or so until my Dad
finally sold it. Some poor kid somewhere is probably suffering through Lady
Of Spain on my accordion as we speak.

Had I known about Zydeco music back then I might have been a little more
inspired to actually learn the instrument. Back then I never thought a
accordion could actually sound cool.

Andrew

"We're always trying to be better songwriters. I think we're doing OK."-Mike
Mills

BrgmtNVtvr <brgmt...@aol.com> wrote in message

BrgmtNVtvr

Feb 20, 2001, 8:27:30 AM2/20/01
> Back then I never thought a
>accordion could actually sound cool [Andrew]

Ah, childhood traumas, eh? That's an Afterschool Special waiting to be written,
there, Andrew ... providing your father came around in the last scene when he
realized how passionate you were about guitar.

Actually I don't think there's any Polish in my blood, and my attempt at
accordion was voluntary and well into (alleged) adulthood. I just couldn't
physically handle the thing!

But lest we forget, Mike Mills plays the accordion, and *he's* cool ... and I'm
pretty sure I recall hearing that Michael also was subjected to accordion
lessons at one point. Crank up the imaginary bubble machine and picture it:
"And a-now, ladies and-a gentlemen, that amazing young accordion a-prodigy,
Little Mikey Stipovic! Ah-one-an-a-two ..." --Bergie

mitch...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2014, 4:52:07 PM11/5/14
Did you ever Find this song ? its killing me.

Will Dockery

Nov 14, 2014, 8:49:08 AM11/14/14
Me too... thinking of having a look around, myself.

hairby...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2015, 1:40:20 AM6/22/15
I remember!!!
That's me at the drive thru
Losing my McMuffin
Trying to eat it all
And I don't know if I can do it.
Oh no, I've had enough

There was another part that said,
What if all the filet of fish,
come swimming back to me, and now i've had too much

....I think that I,
will try
an apple pie

I have been wondering who did this song also. I would hear it on the radio, back when REM made that song. If you ever find it, let me know.

tonyim...@gmail.com

May 27, 2017, 12:38:45 AM5/27/17
Are you still looking for that song?

JuntMonkey

Jul 5, 2017, 12:35:23 AM7/5/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 9:38:45 PM UTC-7, tonyim...@gmail.com wrote:
> Are you still looking for that song?

Yes of course I'm still looking. Every 6-24 months I do at least a cursory Google and YouTube search, and when I search for the lyrics I only find this thread.

I have a long-shot lead that I'm going to probe shortly.

There is a newer McDonald's Losing My Religion parody on YouTube, no relation as far as I know.

I find it infuriating that the TBone dude posted that he thought it was Weird Al "Jankovich" in 2001. Because yea, every single song parody every created HAD to be made by him.

I'm off to check up on that lead. If you don't hear from me ever again, you can guess what happened.

tonyim...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2017, 1:53:28 AM10/26/17
I was asking because I have a copy of that parody. I am guessing it was 25 years or so ago while I was working on air at an upstate NY radio station. At the time I was doing mornings. During this time we subscribed to a comedy service that would supply scripts and recorded skits and parody songs. I remember playing it on my show. I thought it was, and still is, one of the funniest parodies I have ever heard. I made a copy of it on cassette and have since transferred it to an mp3. I can email it to you if you give me your email address.

gotwo...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2018, 8:18:33 PM4/5/18
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 1:53:28 AM UTC-4, tonyim...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was asking because I have a copy of that parody. I am guessing it was 25 years or so ago while I was working on air at an upstate NY radio station. At the time I was doing mornings. During this time we subscribed to a comedy service that would supply scripts and recorded skits and parody songs. I remember playing it on my show. I thought it was, and still is, one of the funniest parodies I have ever heard. I made a copy of it on cassette and have since transferred it to an mp3. I can email it to you if you give me your email address.

that was mayor McCheese....
I will try an apple pie..
that was Mayor McCheese...Mayor McCheese....Mayor McCheese....Cheese...

Yep...you MIGHT say I "remember" it. ;)

Thanks for caring about the art of parody

Jose Capella

Feb 2, 2021, 10:14:29 PM2/2/21
On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 10:53:28 PM UTC-7, tonyim...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was asking because I have a copy of that parody. I am guessing it was 25 years or so ago while I was working on air at an upstate NY radio station. At the time I was doing mornings. During this time we subscribed to a comedy service that would supply scripts and recorded skits and parody songs. I remember playing it on my show. I thought it was, and still is, one of the funniest parodies I have ever heard. I made a copy of it on cassette and have since transferred it to an mp3. I can email it to you if you give me your email address.

Hi there. I've have had this parody stuck in my head since I heard it in the early 90s, and to my delight I just came across this discussion. Finally some proof that I wasn't just imagining it! Any chance I could get a copy of that mp3? Also do you happen have any info on who wrote it?

Danielle Gensch

May 24, 2021, 2:19:25 PM5/24/21
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 1:53:28 AM UTC-4, tonyim...@gmail.com wrote:
> I was asking because I have a copy of that parody. I am guessing it was 25 years or so ago while I was working on air at an upstate NY radio station. At the time I was doing mornings. During this time we subscribed to a comedy service that would supply scripts and recorded skits and parody songs. I remember playing it on my show. I thought it was, and still is, one of the funniest parodies I have ever heard. I made a copy of it on cassette and have since transferred it to an mp3. I can email it to you if you give me your email address.

OMG! I'm not alone in this quest?!? It wasn't just a fever dream!!
Mr. Tony, sir, I think you possess the Holy Grail of all music parodies, so can you PLEASE share it with us somehow??

Lauren Scully

Jan 31, 2023, 10:37:59 PM1/31/23
Did you ever get the recording of this parody? I'm several years late to the original thread, but I too have been searching for a LOOOOONG time and thought I was the only one who remembered the McDonalds REM parody from radio-yesteryear.

Lynda Naclerio

Apr 3, 2023, 11:51:58 PM4/3/23
Hi, can you send me the mp3 of the REM parody?