Bugs Bunny..."what a maroon!"

Ed

Jun 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/11/97

Since I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, I've remembered his insult that he
would often say...

"What a maroon, what an ignoranamus!!!"

Was this reference to "maroon" a latent (or blatant) racist statement?

I ask because of the Maroons in Jamaica. (They were the escaped slaves
if I am correct.)

One of the talk radio stations in Albuquerque has been playing that same
Bugs Bunny audio clip lately. So I wonder, could it be taken to be a
racist remark? Was it intended that way by Warner Brothers?

P.S. Maybe I should've posted this in soc.culture.jamaica, but I never
post there or read there, so why not post it in r.m.r. where at least
I'm familiar with some of the regulars?

One love.

--
Murray
...from the mountains of New Mexico...

rne...@alexandria.lib.utah.edu

Jun 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/12/97

In article <339EC1...@compuserve.com>,

Ed <73234...@compuserve.com> wrote:

> Since I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, I've remembered his insult that he
> would often say...
>
> "What a maroon, what an ignoranamus!!!"
>
> Was this reference to "maroon" a latent (or blatant) racist statement?
>
> I ask because of the Maroons in Jamaica. (They were the escaped slaves
> if I am correct.)

Just guessing, but is this a variant pronunciation of moron?

Robert

Shokkolat

Jun 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/12/97

Yes Murray,
that statement is indeed a racist statement. Many of the old Bugs Bunny
cartoons were filled with racist images and language, including Africans
depicted with bulging eyes and full, bright red lips, and also Native
Americans portrayed as savages, doing exaggerated rain dances, eating
humans and saying "how" on a constant basis. I'm sure that his use of the
word "maroon" was meant to be equivalent to "savage" or something similar.
There are documentaries available about this phenomenon in cartoon
history. A short search should certainly turn something up.
Ites,
Shok

Racine125

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

In article <5nq2r1$g...@sjx-ixn4.ix.netcom.com>, michael....@mjptv.com
(mjp) writes:

>what a ridiculous world this is becoming.
>let me get this straight, WB or the scriptwriters for *cartoons*
>wanted to "slip in" a little racism, so they picked an obscure group
>few Americans had ever heard of to do it?

Well now, hold on. I do think you are right about 'maroon' being
a deliberately humorous mispronunciation of 'moron', but it is also
true that racial, ethnic, and sexist stereotypes abounded in
Hannah-Barbera's "Looney Tunes", in Disney cartoons, and
plenty of others.

Mambo Racine Sans But

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html

Christopher Durning

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

Not to defend Disney or any of the mind-pollution cartooners of the
forties thru sixties, but I sincerely doubt if the Bugs creators were
culturally aware to the extent that they even knew who the Maroons were !!
I've always read the Bug remark as moron. Still it must be said that some
of these early cartoons are explicitly racist, and painfully insulting to
people of color. It gives a good potrait of the mind-set of white America
in the fifties.

Chris D.
Mighty G.

paul.kaczmarek

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

Christopher Durning <cj...@columbia.edu> wrote:
>Not to defend Disney or any of the mind-pollution cartooners of the
>forties thru sixties,
>I've always read the Bug remark as moron. Still it must be said that some
>of these early cartoons are explicitly racist, and painfully insulting to
>people of color. It gives a good potrait of the mind-set of white America
>in the fifties.

Timings a bit out there ....
A good third of Bugs cartoons were produced before 1950, and around
1/2 were produced after 1959. All in all his stuff wasn't racist
(except for the odd swipe at Germans and Japanese during the war ...
such as 'Bugs Bunny nips the Nips' and 'Herr meets hare').

The Disney stuff and other cartoon shop output that explicitly shows
non-whites as stereotypical caricatures (whether as people or animals,
don't forget that many of the early cartoons were anthropomorphic)
tend to be from the early to mid-30's .. the Silly Symphonies and
other cartoon shop imitations, Disney's Alice cartoons, many of the
early cartoons from the Freleng studios and others, and Popeye
cartoons (the wonderful black and white ones) showed Arabic and
African people in what we would construct as a racist manner.

I'm not sure I would count the maid in Tom and Jerry ... after all you
never see anything other than her stockinged feet.

50's and 60's cartoons tend to be more based around white working or
middle class characters ... Mr Magoo, the Flintstones, the Jetsons,
Huckleberry Hound, Wacky Races etc are all white stereotypes with no
non-white characters in the cartoons. Having said that, I'm not sure
how Pepe Le Phew and Speedy Gonzalez fit in all this!!!

The only overtly stereotypical Disney in later years I can think of is
the only part cartoon film, one of the greatest Disney films ever,
'The Song of the South' with James Baskett playing Uncle Remus, the
straw hat and dungarees po' boy slave telling the Brer Rabbit tales.
This was issued in 1946 without comment, but was partly withdrawn from
a re-release in the 1960's after Black Panther and other Civil Rights
groups protested.

paul.ka...@ukonline.co.uk
currently playing a stunning mix of two 90's dance/dub tracks-
Groove Corporation - Stoned
Rodeo Jones - Natural World

Erkko Airo

Jun 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/13/97

On 13 Jun 1997 03:57:53 GMT, raci...@aol.com (Racine125) wrote:

>In article <5nq2r1$g...@sjx-ixn4.ix.netcom.com>, michael....@mjptv.com
>(mjp) writes:
>
>>what a ridiculous world this is becoming. let me get this straight,
>>WB or the scriptwriters for *cartoons* wanted to "slip in" a
>>little racism, so they picked an obscure group few Americans
>>had ever heard of to do it?
>
>Well now, hold on. I do think you are right about 'maroon' being
>a deliberately humorous mispronunciation of 'moron', but it is also
>true that racial, ethnic, and sexist stereotypes abounded in
>Hannah-Barbera's "Looney Tunes", in Disney cartoons, and
>plenty of others.

I didn't grow up watching Bugs Bunny so I cannot answer the original
question. But the authors should've been conscious about this meaning
of the word as well (as it has been around for more than 200 years
already), especially when using it as a part of an "insult". Or not?

Obscure group? In addition to the Jamaican group, maroon has a general
and quite Pan-American meaning of escaped slave. Other versions in
other languages are cimarrón (Spanish), chimarrão (Portuguese) and
marron (?). The prosperity of colonial societies of the Americas (and
of many American states after colonialization) very much based on
slavery, and maroon or cimarrones were a big threat to those
societies, the loss of their labour force and even more the idea of ex
slaves living _free_ and organizing their own societies (which they
managed to do sometimes despite the fact that they had to hide and
escape most of the time). A lot of effort and extreme cruelty were
used to get rid of these societies and individual maroons.

Reggae connection? See the signature.

e.airo
mail: Erkko...@occuphealth.fi
WWW: http://www2.occuphealth.fi/~erai/Aironet.htm
Tune of the day: Culture - Too Long in Slavery,
and many more...

Fitaurari

Jun 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/14/97

shok...@aol.com (Shokkolat) wrote:

What an interesting set of replies to this thread...

Shok, you are entirely correct, including the existence of
a documentary devoted to the subject at hand.
InI watch Spanish language TV stations in California on a regular
basis, for enjoyment and to find out what news the English
speaking Americans aren't talking about, especially news about
the Caribbean and Latin and South America.
Quite regularily these stations still feature the lesser known
Warner Brothers cartoons that exemplify everything that you
have alleged...which quite obviously have been pulled or
censored in the U.S. because of their racist overtones.
Indiginous peoples from Australia are also featured as savage like,
and along with Africans and Native Americans they are
characterized as having more than exentuated (well known) physical
features that only degrade a people. If there is any person from a
particular race who suffers from an inferiority complex, then the
cartoons in question only solidify the mental anguish and damage.
Cultures are different, take for example Japan, where the "Sambo"
dolls and associated "Sambo" products are still popular. Also it
must be remembered that Spanish language versions of cartoons
are not as numerous as they are in the U.S. (English)...so old
Spanish versions of cartoons will certainly be brought out and
aired, utilized. Especially noteworthy is how Warner Brothers
(WB) and others in the cartoon industry (including the comic book
industry and associated freaks) characterize(d) Native Americans
with overly large noses, amongst other things. Stanford University
in California (where Chelsea Clinton will be going, as a student
in September of 1997) used to have an Indian as their mascot - that
was until the the fractious Native American community made protest
and the University now uses a redwood tree as its mascot. The
matter of contention was that the image degraded Native Americans.
One of the major complaints was that the "Indian" had a more than
large nose, for which it did !

As for the "maroon" statement from Bugs Bunny ?
One only needs to see the MANY cases of attacks that Warner
Brothers has been a party to......and in the case of the Spanish
language stations - Warner Brothers still does today !

/\ * \_.
/_ \ Map'd leg Eritrea | Jah </ Aotearoa/NZ
\\ *--|--* Ras . UK/EEC @ Roma Break
\\ |* Tafari /)
\\ | (/ Mikael Enoch
+ <<< Same Papal Dji * boot I * Fita...@aol.com
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Christopher Durning

Jun 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/14/97

Hey very interesting account of the old toons ! You really know em well.
My remarks were stimulated by one remembrance in particular. I was
thinking of a bugs cartoon where Bugs confronts a "savage" who
grunts "unga bunga bunga". Bugs grunts back the same line, but
with exagerrated tone and intonation. The "savage" grunts a few unga
bungas back. The ridiculous dialogue continues for several exchanges, with
more articulation and exageration of the "unga bungas", until finally, the
"savage' goes off, in a berserk rage, while Bugs smugly mugs at the camera
with "wha'd I say ? wha'd I say ??" The whole passage is overtly
racist, culturally chauvanistic (sp?). My impression of its date is late
fifties or early sixties.

Chris D.

Gunn0016

Jun 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/14/97

THE CARTOONS ARE FUNNY...AND ITS JUST ENTERTAINMENT..NO BIG DEAL. BUGS
BUNNY IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A BROOKLYN ACCENT ...I THINK. I SAW IT SOMEWHERE
IN AN ARTICLE.

MEM9000

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

MEM replies: Since I started this thread, I will say that a few months
ago I would mimic Bugs Bunny and say "What a maroon" if I especially
didn't like how the guy (or gal) in front of me was driving. When I
realized it might have been a racist statement - - - I've since stopped
using the term. I was ignorantly and innocently mimicking (spelling?)
Bugs.

Murray from NM

Subject: Re: Bugs Bunny..."what a maroon!"
From: Erkko...@occuphealth.fi (Erkko Airo)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 06:15:54 GMT

On 13 Jun 1997 03:57:53 GMT, raci...@aol.com (Racine125) wrote:

>In article <5nq2r1$g...@sjx-ixn4.ix.netcom.com>,
michael....@mjptv.com
>(mjp) writes:
>
>>what a ridiculous world this is becoming. let me get this straight,
>>WB or the scriptwriters for *cartoons* wanted to "slip in" a
>>little racism, so they picked an obscure group few Americans
>>had ever heard of to do it?
>
>Well now, hold on. I do think you are right about 'maroon' being
>a deliberately humorous mispronunciation of 'moron', but it is also
>true that racial, ethnic, and sexist stereotypes abounded in
>Hannah-Barbera's "Looney Tunes", in Disney cartoons, and
>plenty of others.

I didn't grow up watching Bugs Bunny so I cannot answer the original
question. But the authors should've been conscious about this meaning
of the word as well (as it has been around for more than 200 years
already), especially when using it as a part of an "insult". Or not?

Obscure group? In addition to the Jamaican group, maroon has a general
and quite Pan-American meaning of escaped slave. Other versions in

other languages are cimarrn (Spanish), chimarro (Portuguese) and

Mark Griffis

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

Erkko Airo wrote:

Man man man, we are now about to discuss the true meaning of "maroon"
being spat out of an imaginary rabbits mouth. The worst part of this is
that this was done over 20 years ago. It was a play on words simple as
that. It was not nor has it ever been meant to be a stab at the Maroons.
let us remember that most of us who were educated here in the 1960's and
1970's and even before weren't even "taught" about who the Maroons were.
Most of us learned of our brothers through taking time to study our own
culture. I may not watch bugs but I do know some of the history that
surrounds his creator and I have never heard of mel blanc being of a
racist mindset.

cool.

Cedmon

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97
Most of those cartoons starting from the 1930's thru the sixties were
very racist!! They pictured the colored people like monkey or some kind
of savage animal and uncivilized.
Also....what does this topic has to do with RMR?
Cedman,

Ed

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

Cedmon wrote:

> Also....what does this topic has to do with RMR?
> Cedman,

Because of the "Maroon" connection.

Gary Harper

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

Shokkolat wrote:

> Yes Murray,
> that statement is indeed a racist statement. Many of the old Bugs
> Bunny
> cartoons were filled with racist images and language, including
> Africans
> depicted with bulging eyes and full, bright red lips, and also Native
> Americans portrayed as savages, doing exaggerated rain dances, eating
> humans and saying "how" on a constant basis. I'm sure that his use of
> the
> word "maroon" was meant to be equivalent to "savage" or something
> similar.
> There are documentaries available about this phenomenon in cartoon
> history. A short search should certainly turn something up.
> Ites,
> Shok

Yeah...it's amazing how far white America has come....now we only
portray african americans as drug dealers and gangsters.

paul.kaczmarek

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

Cedmon <ced...@ictv.com> wrote:
>Most of those cartoons starting from the 1930's thru the sixties were
>very racist!! They pictured the colored people like monkey or some kind
>of savage animal and uncivilized.
I'd appreciate it if you would quote me some cartoons later than 1940
which do that.

I've been collecting cartoons for years now, and have several hundred
videos chock full of them, but can't think of any in the 40's - 60's
that caricature coloured people in that way.

>Also....what does this topic has to do with RMR?

No idea, but it's all part of life's rich tapestry :-)

paul.ka...@ukonline.co.uk

Ed

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

Gary Harper wrote:

> Yeah...it's amazing how far white America has come....now we only
> portray african americans as drug dealers and gangsters.

That may be true in celluloid - on film -

but look at the 'heroes' of a lot of white America:

Michael Jordan
Tiger Woods
Bill Cosby
Oprah
countless other sports figures
Bob Marley
Jimmy Hendrix
countless other musicians too numerous to mention

Just becuase some liberal jerks in Hoolywood continue to portray blacks
negatively doesn't mean the rest of the whites look on African-Americans
unfavorably....to the contrary.

Ed

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

paul.kaczmarek wrote:

> I've been collecting cartoons for years now, and have several hundred
> videos chock full of them, but can't think of any in the 40's - 60's

Where are they? In the Paul Kaczmarek Reggae & Bugs Bunny Museum?

Just kidding...
:-)
:-)

> that caricature coloured people in that way.
>
> >Also....what does this topic has to do with RMR?

I brought up the topic because I was worried about the use of the term
"maroon" by Bugs. Our local talk station has been playing a cut from
Bugs where he says "What a maroon, what an ignoranamus!" Lots have said
that it is a play on the word 'moron', which is probably the true
interpretation.

Brian M Tremblay

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

Racine125 (raci...@aol.com) wrote:

: true that racial, ethnic, and sexist stereotypes abounded in

: Hannah-Barbera's "Looney Tunes", in Disney cartoons, and
: plenty of others.

"Looney Tunes" (as well as "Merrie Melodies") were produced
by Warner Brothers, not Hannah-Berbera.

--
-BrTrem WMUA Radio
btre...@admin.umass.edu wm...@stuaf.umass.edu

Bobtheveg

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

This is an obiously racist remark about the Maroons....Didn't they win a
decisive battle agaist imperialist Britain.

Be mindful of what you say, many phrases like "What a maroon" downplay
historical events like this

My .02
** Bob Marley Pages:
http://members.aol.com/bobtheveg/marley/index.html **
** Reggae Tapes:
http://members.aol.com/bobtheveg/marley/tapes.html **
** More Live Music:
http://members.aol.com/bobtheveg/tape.html **

Christopher Durning

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

Hold on there Murray,

Exactly what you point out is a problem. White america has only accepted
blacks with influence as long as they are sports figures or musicians. I
don't see Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or Farkhan on your list of heros
acceptable to white america. The white majority is still blindly afraid of
blacks with real power.

Chris D.

Ed

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

Christopher Durning wrote:

> Hold on there Murray,
>
> Exactly what you point out is a problem. White america has only accepted
> blacks with influence as long as they are sports figures or musicians. I
> don't see Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or Farkhan on your list of heros
> acceptable to white america. The white majority is still blindly afraid of
> blacks with real power.
>
> Chris D.

Maybe. Last year, Colin Powell would've become President of the United
States if he'd wanted to do so. He would've decisively beat Clinton.
America is ready to elect a black man President - but they are not ready
to elect one the likes of Jesse Jackson.

Christopher Durning

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

Well, with respect, Colin Powell is not on my list of black
heros! He fits white America's view of the best a black man can be,
close to white. Colin didn't "get on the bus" you know; he missed
that ride by a mile, without any apology. Consider blacker men. How
about Jesse Jackson, Martin Luther King's prodigy ? He has diluted his
views continuously since the sixties, to get inside the
beltway, but hes *still* too rad for white America. How bout Al Sharpton
Bright, willing energetic; but he wears a track suit, gold medallion and a
JB do, which white America will never respect, no matter how sharp Al's
do is! I think Sharpton would be an excellent Mayor of NYC, but he'll
never get elected because white folks run like hes a devil. Do you know
that 1/2 of midtown Manhattan (the white commuter 1/2) left for home early
the afternoon Al scheduled a rally in manhattan last summer ? It seems
clear to me that any public figure who explicitly expresses and embraces
black values publicly has almost no chance for political power in
communities with a white majority (most communities in the US). In my
view, its primarily because white America still doesn't trust their black
brothers beyond their ability to play hoop or make music.

Chris D.

Mark Fassett

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

Ed wrote:

> Since I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, I've remembered his insult that
> he
> would often say...
>
> "What a maroon, what an ignoranamus!!!"
>
> Was this reference to "maroon" a latent (or blatant) racist statement?

Interesting.. it MAY be, but I wonder if people are making too much
ofthis.. because I also remember that the line went something like
"what a maroon.. what a gulli-bull." I always interpreted it as a play
on the word "moron," just like "gulli-bul"l is a play on "gullible."

On the other hand, I have seen some of the early episodes that
were filled with anti-Japanese rhetoric too, so you never know.. but
I would guess that nobody at Warner's even knew who the Maroons
are!

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has any evidence of this..

-Mark

Shokkolat

Jun 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/19/97

Murray, take a look at all the so-called "prominent" African Americans
that you listed in your post. Do you see a trend? They're all in sports
and entertainment! Still stereotypical arenas for Black folks. You know,
we've always been good at singing and dancing and running real fast and
other physical, non-intellectual feats.
And if you really thought that Colin Powell had any chance of becoming
president, then I've got a prime piece of real estate in sunny Florida
that I'd like to sell you for real cheap!

Seriously though, although there are many Blacks in America who hold
significant jobs in America which demand something other than the ability
to entertain mass audiences via the sports or entertainment industry,
these people don't hold any true power. Yes, we've got our prominent
lawyers, our CEO's, and VP's of major companies, our mayors of cities,
our top aides to the president, but in reality, these people hold power
only to a minor extent in American society. You'll also recognize that
you don't really hear anything about any of these people because they have
no real ability to effect significant change in the status quo of "white
power". Ultimately, they're all answering to someone white, no matter who
they are. These aforementioned positions are crumbs that are thrown to us
so that a few of us can move up to the so called middle class and feel
like we've accomplished something, while the masses whither away in inner
cities and rural slums with inferior educational systems, sub-standard
housing and jobs you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. A few of us, by
way of extreme effort, since we're starting from a disadvantage to begin
with (unless our parents happen to already belong to the middle class),
and sometimes with the assistance of affirmative action programs, manage
to escape the vicious cycle and get a chance to give back to the
community. But many of those who do get out move right up into the middle
class and forget the struggles we or our parents went through to get us
where we are now.
Black people have come a long way, but unfortunately, our primary road to
success is via the road we've always traveled: Can we entertain white
folks? Can we perform amazing physical feats? Why do you think MTV,
which once didn't even play Black videos until 1983 when they caved into
Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" is now predominantly overrun by Black
artists? Every damn inner city kid who can croon a couple lines, and many
who can't, see a record contract as their only escape out of an existence
that isn't offering them anything but a sure chance of failure. Once
again, they're singing and dancing their way outta the ghetto. Its sad
but true. Our primary function in America is still as a source of
entertainment for white America. And if I sound bitter, its because I am.
Since I'm also posting this to the ng, I'll answer the question before its
asked:
What does this have to do with Reggae? One of its major aspects is that
it's music for the downtrodden. Spiritual upliftment. If that's not
something that's needed right here in the good ole U S of A, then I don't
know what is.

By the way Murray, I hope you don't take this post as offensive. I am
responding in this way because people outside of America tend to only see
things from the perspective in which it is presented to them by the media.
I'm offering to you what I hope is a valuable education from someone who
has lived on both sides of the coin in this country. As well as outside
of it.
Regards,
Shok

Ed

Jun 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/19/97

Christopher Durning wrote:
> In my
> view, its primarily because white America still doesn't trust their black
> brothers beyond their ability to play hoop or make music.
>
> Chris D.

If I had the opportunity, I wouldn't vote for either Jackson or Sharpton
because they are liberals - not because they are black.

Take Jackson for instance. He has sold his soul to the liberal wing of
the Democratic Party. There used to be some people who used to be
either moderates or conservatives in the upper echelons of the party.
Not anymore. Jackson used to preach responsibility, hard work and
respect. He used to be against infanticide. But because he wanted to
keep power in the Democratic party, he changed his mind and now he
couldn't care a wit about the slaughter of 1.5 million innocent
Americans every year. The same for Clinton and Gore. When they were
state-level politicians in the conservative South, they were
'pro-life'. They sniffed scent of the big dollar conributions and they
needed this cash for their national ambitions so they caved in to
whatever convictions they had.

Someone mentioned Farrakhan a while ago. While I think he is a racist
bigot, and I don;t agree with his religion, he is much more responsible
in his views about black business enterprise, responsiblity, fatherhood,
etc. etc.

I just don't have much use for any liberals regardless of their color -
that goes for Clinto, Jackson, Gore and Sharpton.

Again, if you ask for my list of black politicians and thinkers who I
admire - here goes:
J.C. Watts
Thomas Sowell
Walter Williams
Armstrong Williams
Kay James
Star Parker

Ed

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

a...@aa.net wrote:

> This has gotta be one of the stupidest threads I've ever seen, even
> for this NG...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Mamoru Ogawa

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97
> --
> Murray
> ...from the mountains of New Mexico...

Another Rush Limbaugh wannabe. Are you so ignorant that you wont
vote for Jackson or Sharpton just because they are Democrats.
IMHO, all politicans are worried about is keeping their "white"
power. Politricks, my dear.
ragga1

Ed

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

Mamoru Ogawa wrote:

> Another Rush Limbaugh wannabe. Are you so ignorant that you wont
> vote for Jackson or Sharpton just because they are Democrats.
> IMHO, all politicans are worried about is keeping their "white"
> power. Politricks, my dear.
> ragga1

I take that as a compliment, 'my dear'.

I won't vote for Jackson or Sharpton because they are liberals, not
becasue they are black or Democrat. Please read my previous post.

Is a white any less 'white' becasue he/she is a liberal?
Is a black any less 'black' because they are a conservative?

I hope the answer is "Of course not".

I wrote a long set of paragraphs detailing where I specifically
disagreed with Jackson et al. and all I get back in response is that you
think I don't like Democrats.
I disagree as much with white liberals as I do with African American
liberals.

You think I'm racist becasue I won't vote for a liberal like Jackson?
You've got a lot more to think about than to say something like that.
I bet you wouldn't have the courage to say the same thing to someone the
likes of J.C. Watts, Thomas Sowell or Walter Williams. They'd eat your
lunch.

Why try to force people of a skin color into a particular political
persuasion?

I'm not bothered that 'whites' are Democrats.

Why be bothered that blacks choose to be conservative?

I notice you didn't say a word about what I said about the former views
of Jackson and how he caved on them. And you said not a word about my
compliments to Farrakhan.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
None but ourselves can free our minds."

I can't be a mindreader and think why Bob Marley wrote those words, but
I fully respect the example and lifestyle of Watts/Sowell/Williams more
than that of Jackson/Sharpton.
"None but ourselves" means to me that every person needs to be
personally responsible. Someone said after the L.A. riots that the best
thing Jesse Jackson could have done was to go to South Central L.A. and
tell all the men there to raise the chidren they had fathered. But we
have an idiotic welfare system (which thank the Lord is being changed by
none other than Big Bill) that for many years destroyed the father in
the family unit. Why were people on welfare not allowed to work as well
as receiveing welfare? Why were people on welfare not even allowed to
save money in a bank account? Why was there an incentive for a young
woman to have kids and then if the dad was around or married to the
young woman, the assistance would be stopped? I'm not opposed to
assistance to people who need it, but why were there all these policies
in place that destroyed the two parent family?

Oh well. I'm run out of thoughts for now.

Congoman

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

I always thought he was talking bout a maroon cookie.

Ausetkmt

Jun 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/21/97
to Congoman

Congoman-
that would be a Macaroon - not a Maroon...
Get A Dictionary...and a box of Macaroons, <g> and Meditate..

Peace and Love
Sista~REality

--
~RE

Ausetkmt/p...@usa.net
Ause...@Concentric.net
<%%%<Grasp REality,Firmly - "Don't Be A Playa Hata..">%%%>
~Paradise Manifest:- //www.concentric.net/~Ausetkmt/
REalistic Journey's - //www.geocities.com/TheTropics/9179/
REality REsearch Foundation - //members.tripod.com/~BEReal/

Fitaurari

Jun 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/22/97

Ed <73234...@compuserve.com> wrote:

+ Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Murray, your decision to start this thread was entirely correct.
Some are so very quick to ridicule you, and the others who's
you and others' observations/questions can only be deemed as
silly headstrong foolishness and ignorance - those that would
attack the pretext of this thread, while totally unaware of the
many, many Warner Brothers cartoons that are entirely evil in
subtle, blatant, and outright naked racism !

Something also of interest to consider Murray:
Is not the Warner Brothers FROG now the WB Network's spokesman ?
Of course it is.
Is not the Budweiser's liver solvent swill commercial accompanied by
three (3) FROGS ? - while now soiling the image of Bob Marley, in that
he and reggae is now associated with liquor promotions.
Of course.

So, let us consider (3) Frogs of interest:
In verse 13 and 14 of Revelation we are told, "And I saw 3 unclean
spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the Dragon, and out of
the Beast, and out of the False Prophet. For they are like spirits
of demons..."
Here we behold, in symbolic guise, each of the persons of the
Evil Trinity. The figure of the "FROG" is very suggestive. Frogs
are creatures which love the darkness rather than light: they
wallow in the mire and filth: their croaking is heard in the dusk
of twilight and by night. Thus they are an apt symbol of the
persons in the Trinity of Evil - where their very form suggests
inflation of pride...

InI would venture to say that reggae fans dislike Budweiser
and what they have done to the image of reggae and Bob Marley -
So, does not the image of the frog completely fit in with the shrewd
propaganda that shall come also from the mouths of the Evil Trinity
in Revelation ?
Many Rastafarians consider reggae to be "the new song", as
stated in Revelation - so is not Budweiser and their 3 frogs the
embodiment of present day advertising evil ?
Of course they are !

Mikael Enoch
Fita...@aol.com
/\ * \_.
/_ \ Map'd leg Eritrea | Jah </ Aotearoa-NZ

\\ *--|--* Ras . UK/EEC @ Roma Break
\\ |* Tafari /)

\\ | (/ Revelation 19:16
+ <<< Same Papal Dji * boot I * Daniel 2:41-44
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

William Sakovich

Jun 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/22/97

In article <Pine.SUN.3.95L.97061...@sawasdee.cc.columbia.edu>,
Christopher Durning <cj...@columbia.edu> wrote:

> Exactly what you point out is a problem. White america has only accepted
> blacks with influence as long as they are sports figures or musicians. I
> don't see Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or Farkhan on your list of heros
> acceptable to white america. The white majority is still blindly afraid of
> blacks with real power.

What is the basis for your assertion that the white majority is "still
blindly afraid of blacks with real power", other than your
imagination?

The results of a recent Gallup poll:

In 1958, 35% of whites said they would be willing to vote for a black
candidate for president.
This year, 93% of whites said they would be willing to vote for a
black candidate for president. In fact, only 91% of blacks said they
would be willing to vote for a black candidate. In other words, more
whites than blacks say they would vote for a black candidate. Doesn't
sound like fear to me.

In 1958, 44% of whites said they would move if a black moved in next
door.
This year, 1% whites said the same thing.

In 1958, 25% of whites said they approved of black-white interracial
marriage.
This year, 61% said they would approve.

This poll was reported in the Washington Post.

Do you have anything to rebut this, other than your opinions? Are your
opinions based on anything other than vapor? Of course not. Twice.

- Bill Sakovich (sako...@gol.com)

Ed

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

Ausetkmt wrote:

> Congoman-
> that would be a Macaroon - not a Maroon...
> Get A Dictionary...and a box of Macaroons, <g> and Meditate..

Or maybe...
macaroni
or
macarena

yuk yuk

ras richard i

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

--

would just like to add that iman have never voted. \

numerous reasons.

peace and blessings
ras richard i
********************************
to reply remove xx from reply address.

Currently playing:

rockers soundtrack
********************************

Christopher Durning

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

MMM, I guess your right, especially if Gallup says so. Its just my
impression that I live in a racist society here in the good ole USA.
Rodney King is also imagining things. Thank you for clarifying this
matter with percentages taken from the Gallup poles, I feel much better
now.

Chris D.

On 22 Jun 1997, William Sakovich

Shokkolat

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

Bill,
before you go quoting polls, I suggest you look at who the polls were
conducted on. A poll conducted by the Washington Post as opposed to one
conducted in Middle America would, I believe, yield strikingly different
results. Moreover, what people say in polls and what they actually do are
two totally different things.
Ites,
-Shok

rne...@alexandria.lib.utah.edu

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

In article
<Pine.SUN.3.95L.97061...@bonjour.cc.columbia.edu>,
Christopher Durning <cj...@columbia.edu> wrote:

> Not to defend Disney or any of the mind-pollution cartooners of the

> forties thru sixties, but I sincerely doubt if the Bugs creators were
> culturally aware to the extent that they even knew who the Maroons were !!

> I've always read the Bug remark as moron. Still it must be said that some
> of these early cartoons are explicitly racist, and painfully insulting to
> people of color. It gives a good potrait of the mind-set of white America
> in the fifties.
>

> Chris D.
> Mighty G.

Man, I must have been asleep at the switch here, I thought we were
talking about Bunny Wailer saying this not Bugs Bunny. No wonder I
thought he would have known better :-)

Robert

rne...@alexandria.lib.utah.edu

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

In article <33a1baec...@news.ukonline.co.uk>,
paul.ka...@ukonline.co.uk (paul.kaczmarek) wrote:
hite America

> I'm not sure I would count the maid in Tom and Jerry ... after all you
> never see anything other than her stockinged feet.

I'm sure some grad student somehwere has written a thesis on the
pedophilic nature of Tom and Jerry. God knows seeing Bugs as a female
Bunny has called to question some deep seated anxieties in my psyche :-)

> 50's and 60's cartoons tend to be more based around white working or
> middle class characters ... Mr Magoo, the Flintstones, the Jetsons,
> Huckleberry Hound, Wacky Races etc are all white stereotypes with no
> non-white characters in the cartoons. Having said that, I'm not sure
> how Pepe Le Phew and Speedy Gonzalez fit in all this!!!

Now wait a minute, Speedy Gonzalez at least has to be considered ethnic
caricaturing (is that a word) at its worst. I suppose the next thing
you're going to tell me is that the Frito Bandito was a sly homage to Che
Guevara by the corn chip hucksters over at Lay's Potato chips :-)

rne...@alexandria.lib.utah.edu

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

In article <33A6F2...@compuserve.com>,

Ed <73234...@compuserve.com> wrote:

> but look at the 'heroes' of a lot of white America:
>
> Michael Jordan
> Tiger Woods
> Bill Cosby
> Oprah
> countless other sports figures
> Bob Marley
> Jimmy Hendrix
> countless other musicians too numerous to mention
>
> Just becuase some liberal jerks in Hoolywood continue to portray blacks
> negatively doesn't mean the rest of the whites look on African-Americans
> unfavorably....to the contrary.

All I can say to this is go back and watch Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing
to get an idea of why black people bristle at this defense.

rne...@alexandria.lib.utah.edu

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97

In article
<Pine.SUN.3.95L.97061...@aloha.cc.columbia.edu>,
Christopher Durning <cj...@columbia.edu> wrote:

> Well, with respect, Colin Powell is not on my list of black
> heros! He fits white America's view of the best a black man can be,
> close to white. Colin didn't "get on the bus" you know; he missed
> that ride by a mile, without any apology. Consider blacker men.

Did anyone out there see Chris Rock's HBO comedy special? For one thing
it was hilariously funny, but also very biting in a lot of its social
commentary. There was a definite edge beneath the jokes. His comment on
why white people always praise Colin Powell is: "He speaks so well. He's
so well spoken". Like that is supposed to be a compliment. That's what
you say to retarded people. If you get a chance to see this, it's worth
watching.

In my
> view, its primarily because white America still doesn't trust their black
> brothers beyond their ability to play hoop or make music.
>
> Chris D.

I feel the same way. And that speaks to not just racism in this country
nearly as much as "class-ism". There's still a lot of relevancy to those
reggae songs of the 70s a generation later.

paul.kaczmarek

Jun 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/29/97

rne...@alexandria.lib.utah.edu wrote:
>Now wait a minute, Speedy Gonzalez at least has to be considered ethnic
>caricaturing at its worst.
Exactly my point, tongue was firmly in cheek there.

> I suppose the next thing
>you're going to tell me is that the Frito Bandito was a sly homage to Che
>Guevara by the corn chip hucksters over at Lay's Potato chips :-)

Hate to tell you this, but ...

Frito Bandito was a sly homage to Che Guevara by the corn chip
hucksters over at Lay's Potato chips

Cheers!
paul.ka...@ukonline.co.uk
currently playing -
The Congoes - Heart of the Congo

le...@acadia.net

Jun 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/29/97

In article <8674384...@dejanews.com>
,

rne...@alexandria.lib.utah.edu wrote:

> In article <33A6F2...@compuserve.com>,
> Ed <73234...@compuserve.com> wrote:
> >
> > but look at the 'heroes' of a lot of white America:
> >
> > Michael Jordan
> > Tiger Woods
> > Bill Cosby
> > Oprah
> > countless other sports figures
> > Bob Marley
> > Jimmy Hendrix
> > countless other musicians too numerous to mention
> >
> > Just becuase some liberal jerks in Hoolywood continue to portray blacks
> > negatively doesn't mean the rest of the whites look on African-Americans
> > unfavorably....to the contrary.
>
> All I can say to this is go back and watch Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing
> to get an idea of why black people bristle at this defense.
>
> Robert

I haven't seen the film in a while, but I'd
guess you're getting at the fact that the
above list is limited to entertainment and
sports figures. The problem with this
argument is that ALL heroes these days
seem to come from those ranks.

There are plenty of African American
doctors, lawyers, small business people,
religious leaders, etc. who *ought* to be
heroes but get ignored because they're not
glamorous enough to capture people's
interest. It's sad, but it's not a problem
unique to the African American
community or the way whites view blacks.

Leigh

ras richard i

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97

le...@acadia.net wrote:

>> > All I can say to this is go back and watch Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing
> > to get an idea of why black people bristle at this defense.
> >
> > Robert
> >

> I haven't seen the film in a while, but I'd
> guess you're getting at the fact that the
> above list is limited to entertainment and
> sports figures. The problem with this
> argument is that ALL heroes these days
> seem to come from those ranks.
>
> There are plenty of African American
> doctors, lawyers, small business people,
> religious leaders, etc. who *ought* to be
> heroes but get ignored because they're not
> glamorous enough to capture people's
> interest. It's sad, but it's not a problem
> unique to the African American
> community or the way whites view blacks.
>
> Leigh

well on dateline or spomething this past week, my wife was watching
something that captured my attention and it was about a upper middle
class neighborhood in chicago i beleive where the whites all moved out
of the community, the last one just left. This neighborhood was
beautifull, the schools in that area increased scholastically , still
little crime in that area.

Sad to see this, but maybe it will hit some people in the face that just
because you go to college, become a doctor , lawyer etc, have a 5
bedroom house and 4 bmws, 1 for each of your yale, harvard bound
4.0 gpa kids will still get you nowhere in the eyes of a biggot.

The excuses all the white people came up with made me sick to my
stomach. Sorry to say this but until these older brainwashed, redneck,
good ol boys realign their way of living and thinking, they will always
be lost.

Selah

ras richard i
--

********************************
to reply remove xx from reply address.

Currently playing:

my mind
********************************

Christopher Durning

Jul 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/1/97

Yes I did see this special too, hosted by Tom Brokaw. It addressed "white
flight" from south Chicago suburbs. Here, successful blacks from urban
Chicago are moving into predominantly white suburbs; the reaction by the
white population is to leave. When asked why, all kinds of unsupported
reasons are given: schools going downhill, gangs, intimidation in the
neighborhood. None of it was substantiated by facts in the examples
given by the poor, scared white folks. What was clear was, these people
mainly did not want black neighbors, no matter what their economic
status, education, lifestyle. This is exactly the shit that I posted
about in response to a post about whites accepting black people with
political power. The majority of this country (white) suffers
from deeply rooted, irrational, emotionally based racism that they won't
even admit too. To solve the problem, one has to acknowledge it exists,
and the good ole USA isn't even close to that yet.

CHris D.
Mighty G.

Mister E

Nov 14, 2021, 1:18:33 AM11/14/21
On Wednesday, June 11, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Ed wrote:
> Since I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, I've remembered his insult that he
> would often say...
> "What a maroon, what an ignoranamus!!!"
> Was this reference to "maroon" a latent (or blatant) racist statement?
> I ask because of the Maroons in Jamaica. (They were the escaped slaves
> if I am correct.)
> One of the talk radio stations in Albuquerque has been playing that same
> Bugs Bunny audio clip lately. So I wonder, could it be taken to be a
> racist remark? Was it intended that way by Warner Brothers?
> P.S. Maybe I should've posted this in soc.culture.jamaica, but I never
> post there or read there, so why not post it in r.m.r. where at least
> I'm familiar with some of the regulars?
> One love.
> --
> Murray
> ...from the mountains of New Mexico...
Let's not forget who Bugs is referring to when he says "What a maroon, what an ignoranamous". He's talking about the very white Elmer Fudd, so I don't know why anyone would consider any kind of racial connotation. Also, maroon is just a more pleasant way to say moron which is the context of the dialogue at the time.

Mister E

Nov 14, 2021, 1:21:17 AM11/14/21