U-Roy - Africa for the Africans .. original?

2 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

svaret

ongelezen,
26 jan. 2004 15:55:3626-01-2004
aan
Greetings,

On the album "Jah son of Africa" there is a tune called "Africa for
the Africans". Does anyone know the original of that tune, if there is
one?

Best regards

svaret

svaret

ongelezen,
28 jan. 2004 03:14:0528-01-2004
aan
blac...@bredband.net (svaret) wrote in message news:<d4875678.04012...@posting.google.com>...

This seems to be a tricky one!?

Best regards

svaret

Robert Schoenfeld

ongelezen,
28 jan. 2004 18:51:5228-01-2004
aan

"svaret" <blac...@bredband.net> wrote in message

> On the album "Jah son of Africa" there is a tune called "Africa for
> the Africans". Does anyone know the original of that tune, if there is
> one?

I am working here from memory but if this is the U Roy album that begins
with the airplane taking off (one of his best, IMO) then the original was
never released and there is a very interesting story behind it.

That album was originally recorded by Tony Robinson as an album by the
Gladiators. For some reason unknown to me, Tony gave the album over to U
Roy and never released the vocal LP. If you listen closely to the original
vocal tracks in the mix, you will recognize the voice of Albert Griffiths
who, needless to say, was not very happy about this.

Perhaps this decision was made based on what was at that time reported to be
considerable success that U Roy was having with sales in Africa but I can
not verify that. What I can say is that it is one hell of a U Roy album.
That explains why there are no "originals" to these toasts.

Dave Kingston

ongelezen,
31 jan. 2004 09:28:5531-01-2004
aan

"Robert Schoenfeld" <Rob...@Nghthwk.com> wrote in message

> "svaret" <blac...@bredband.net> wrote in message

> > On the album "Jah son of Africa" there is a tune called "Africa for
> > the Africans". Does anyone know the original of that tune, if there is
> > one?
>
> I am working here from memory but if this is the U Roy album that begins
> with the airplane taking off (one of his best, IMO) then the original was
> never released and there is a very interesting story behind it.

> That album was originally recorded by Tony Robinson as an album by the
> Gladiators.

Not sure if this makes sense, as there are other vocalists on the LP, not
just the
Gladiators.

>For some reason unknown to me, Tony gave the album over to U
> Roy and never released the vocal LP.

The LP was recorded by Tony, and released in the U.K by Virgin, and released
in Janiaca
by Robinson. How is that "giving" the LP to U-Roy? Robinson had a
realtionship already with Virgin.
While often payment for recordings includes release rights in creatin
territories, it doesn't make sense that
Robinson would "give away" the lucrative British / European / African rights
to U-Roy, and keep only North America
and the Caribbean. He was a pretty shrewd businessman. I once interviewed
Roy about those days, and he discussed
some of the financial dealings, until they had a fallout over "Love Gamble".

I would be interested in knowing how he "gave it over" to him, cause that's
not the sense I got from U-Roy..

> If you listen closely to the original
> vocal tracks in the mix, you will recognize the voice of Albert Griffiths
> who, needless to say, was not very happy about this.

On some tracks, not all.

> Perhaps this decision was made based on what was at that time reported to
be
> considerable success that U Roy was having with sales in Africa but I can
> not verify that.

Yes, U-Roy records mashed up Africa in the 70's, and that market kept the
Virgin reggae line alive. But Virgin soon
found that while it's not hard shipping and seliing the records in Africa,
getting the money out was another story
altogether.

>What I can say is that it is one hell of a U Roy album.
> That explains why there are no "originals" to these toasts.

Not sure that it does. There is a 12" of Peace & Love In The Ghetto" with
Barrington Spence vocals on one side (memory not foggy on this one, cause I
was
playing it a few weeks ago!), U-Roy toast on the other, so while the above
may be true for The Gladiators tracks, it's not true of the entire LP.
But I certainly agree with you on it being on of U-Roy's best LP's.

Dave

Robert Schoenfeld

ongelezen,
2 feb. 2004 10:24:5302-02-2004
aan
Dave,
I had forgotten that there were other vocalists on the album (I did say that
I was working from memory). However, those cuts by the Gladiators were
recorded for an album of theirs that was never released and those tracks
were "given" to U Roy instead. Hence, no vocal versions per se. - Bob

"Dave Kingston" <dave-k...@rogers.com> wrote in message

Allen beantwoorden
Auteur beantwoorden
Doorsturen