Mark Janza

Bill Edwards

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
Hi All.

Somebody may have the answer to this mildly puzzling question, and I'll
start with as much info as possible. I know of two rags written by a
Mark Janza, the Lion Tamer which has long been in my repertoire, and the
Aviation Rag, which will be posted this weekend. However, genealogical
and book searches do not turn up any likely candidates for the composer.
I have heard through the ragvine that Janza was actually the wife of
publiserh Marzian (first name unknown), and used the name as a
pseudonym. Anybody who has heard either rag is immediately aware of how
descriptive the writing is. Lion Tamer evokes solid images of a three
ring circus, while Aviation Rag contains elements later incorporated
into Ferde Grofé's Aviation Suite, and is similarly descriptive in
sound.

In order to maintain the highest quality of information available with
my postings, I would prefer to have at least some of the speculation
substantiated. There was an article printed some years back concerning
the events that led to the writing of the Aviation Rag. It told of the
first transcontinental flight, made in 35 days (!!!) by Cal Rogers in
1911, and of the subsequent writing and publishing of the piece in 1912.
The MCMX copyright speaks otherwise to the credibility of this story and
the research done by its author. So I hope to include at least a little
more substantial info on Janza (or Janza-ette as the case may be) for
the posting, and for an upcoming multi-media CD I'm producing.

Any takers (or givers?) Credit will be given when and where it is due.
Links could be forthcoming. Even a free trip to the premiere of my next
MM CD - OK, maybe that's a bit much. How 'bout for the sake of
perpetuating the music and portraying it accurately?

Thanks so much in advance.

RAGards, Bill Edwards
http://www.perfessorbill.com - how much ragtime fun can a person
possibly handle?

Bill Edwards

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
Oh - does anybody have a color cover of Aviation Rag to scan and send at
100+dpi? Mine is a poor copy, and therefore one of the few colorized from
monochrome. Again, for accuracy sake, the latter would be better.
Reciprocation can be arranged.

Thanks again.

Bill Edwards

KDAD40

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
Perfessor Bill Edwards requests:

>Hi All.
>
>Somebody may have the answer to this mildly puzzling question, and I'll
>start with as much info as possible. I know of two rags written by a
>Mark Janza, the Lion Tamer which has long been in my repertoire, and the
>Aviation Rag, which will be posted this weekend. However, genealogical
>and book searches do not turn up any likely candidates for the composer.
>I have heard through the ragvine that Janza was actually the wife of
>publiserh Marzian (first name unknown), and used the name as a
>pseudonym.

The husband's name was Al, or as I found out, probably Alfred. About a year or
two back this question had come up and I had tried to track it down, to no
avail. A friend of mine swore that he knew some Marzians in Jersey but never
was able to track them down. Will drop him a line and see if he ever came up
with anything else.

Reg Pitts
KDA...@aol.com

Tracy Doyle

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99

Hi, Reg, Bill et al...

Well, I just made a little stop at a genealogical website where I am a
member. Here's what turns up for likely Marzians:

Kentucky Death Index 1911-1996

Name Death County City Age
Albert F. Marzian 29 Jun 1947 Jefferson JEFFERSON 71 Years
Myrtle E. Marzian 25 Aug 1944 Jefferson JEFFERSON 57 Years

If, by any stretch, Myrtle would be our "Mark Janza," she would have
been born c. 1897, making her about 16 at the time Lion Tamer was
published - not unlikely, but unlikely that she would have been married
at that time. Oops.. just discovered Aviator Rag was 1910 - Myrtle is
too young to be Janza.

I think, however, that Albert F. is the publisher, as the publisher of
Aviation Rag is indeed "A. F. Marzian." The Albert of the death record
would have been born in 1876, just about the time many other ragtime
composers were born.

The publisher, Keithley & Marzian Co., was indeed located in Louisville,
KY. You can look for Marzians in Jersey, but I don't think that will
yield much information on the Louisville Marzians.

There are currently 13 Marzians listed in the Internet phone
directories, most in KY, but several in NY and TN.

There is a Pearson & Marzian Inc. in Louisville, KY, which is an
upholstery company. Since the Marzian publishing company was located in
Louisville, I would think it must be the same family. There are few
Marzians elsewhere.

I did find an e-mail address for an Al Marzian currently living in
Lexington, KY. I have sent him a note to see if indeed he is a relative
of Al Marzian the publisher.

I also search for Keithley, as E. Clinton Keithly was Al Marzian's
publishing partner. Turns out the population of the Keithly surname is
also concentrated in Kentucky, with a number of them living in the
Jefferson area.

I'm writing this as I'm searching... and WHOA! Look what I just found!
Check out this genealogical page at:
< http://home.earthlink.net/~luonne/keithley/g086.html#I006160>

She doesn't cite the article source printed here, but I have written to
her asking for more information. Once we have a date on the article, we
can better place where Marzian was when he was involved with Keithly.

Now, I've been looking into Janza as well. It is indeed a real surname,
and a Janza family emmigrated to the US from Germany sometime in the
1880s or early '90s. There are indeed Janzas in Wisconsin, around
Milwaukee. Janza appears to be a Hungarian name. The name appears
frequently as a first name rather than a family name, and as the
Hungarian practice is to reverse the order of family and given names,
this would substantiate the name being of Hungarian or Austro-Hungarian
origin. It wouldn't surprise me if there really was a Mark Janza, or
perhaps a Mary or something. I'll keep at it and let you know what I find.

Unfortunately, one of my favorite genealogical websites is down due to a
power outage, but once it gets going again I should be able to dig up more.

RAGards,

Tracy
--
To respond via e-mail, remove the spamblocker from the address.

Tracy Doyle

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99

Just an update...

It turns out that the Al Marzian I found is the grand-nephew of Albert
F. Marzian, the music publisher. He has put me in touch with a family
member who can then help me get in touch with the family historians. I
will write more as it comes in. I'm hoping that very soon we can
identify "Mark Janza."

Also, I see that Marzian split with Keithley before 1913 and moved the
publishing business to New Albany, Indiana, before "Lion Tamer" was
published in 1913. Do we have anyone on this newsgroup who can do some
research in New Albany or Louisville?

Bill Edwards

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99

Tracy Doyle wrote:

> It turns out that the Al Marzian I found is the grand-nephew of Albert
> F. Marzian, the music publisher. He has put me in touch with a family
> member who can then help me get in touch with the family historians. I
> will write more as it comes in. I'm hoping that very soon we can
> identify "Mark Janza."
>
> Also, I see that Marzian split with Keithley before 1913 and moved the
> publishing business to New Albany, Indiana, before "Lion Tamer" was
> published in 1913. Do we have anyone on this newsgroup who can do some
> research in New Albany or Louisville?
>
> RAGards,

Hi Tracy.

Thanks for the initial work. Like you, I did some geneaology research, although I was
focused on Charlotte Blake, Edward Claypoole, Clarence Wiley, Leon Block, Joseph C.
Northup, and Jay Roberts, trying to get info on them. I looked up Janza with the same
results, but didn't have the time last week to chase down Marzian. Thank you for
following that lead. Perhaps if Rags and Ragtime is updated once again (it has been a
decade) then Aviation Rag can be included as well as further info on the identity of
Janza. There is already quite a laundry list of updates from information that many of us,
Mr. Berlin in particular, have found that could further codify the accuracy and
importance of this particular book. This is just another piece.

Incidentally, I was successful in located Roberts and a likely candidate for Northup
(they were/are all over Rhode Island and surrounding states), along with enough info on
Charlotte Blake to satisfy my needs (short of a photograph), but had little success with
Claypoole, Wiley, or Block. There are too many wiley Wileys out there for accuracy.

Soooooooooooo.... This brings up a question (challenge for me). There are composer
databases for many genres, mostly jazz and country. I have not located an extensive
source of on-line ragtime composer biographys with composition listings, and my own at
this time only covers Joplin, Lamb, Matthews, Scott, and C.L. Johnson. Is there a need or
a desire for such a database that would include photos, likely birth/death dates,
encapsulated bios (nothing TOO extensive) and composition listings? If so, I'd be willing
to develop this, but will occasionally require input and library searches (such as LDS)
from this community. However, if such a thing exists and I've somehow missed it, please
turn me on to it.

Watching and waiting, Bill Edwards

KDAD40

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Bill Edwards (b_ed...@hotmail.com) requests again:

> This brings up a question (challenge for me). There are composer
>databases for many genres, mostly jazz and country. I have not located an
>extensive
>source of on-line ragtime composer biographys with composition listings, and
>my own at
>this time only covers Joplin, Lamb, Matthews, Scott, and C.L. Johnson. Is
>there a need or
>a desire for such a database that would include photos, likely birth/death
>dates,
>encapsulated bios (nothing TOO extensive) and composition listings? If so,
>I'd be willing
>to develop this, but will occasionally require input and library searches
>(such as LDS)
>from this community. However, if such a thing exists and I've somehow missed
>it, please
>turn me on to it.

I have never seen a database like that; it would be neat to have. So many
folks--either one hit wonders or local heroes-- turned out really great piano
ragtime and one always wonders what happened to them. Besides my ongoing study
of Tom Pitts of "Meadow Lark Rag" fame (checking in Sacramento for a death
certificate--more later), have also been looking into info on Louise V.
Gustin, Verdi Karns (Bluffton Rag, 1898) and Kenneth L. Willey (Rochester Fair
Rag, 1914) as well as info on performers as William Turk of Baltimore (Eubie
Blake knew him), Paul Seminole (he may have a great-niece still living in
Philly) and old time Philly ragtimers (three band leaders and a number of
itinerants including an maternal uncle of Don Lambert). Also checking out a
lead someone gave me regarding Freddie Alexander Joplin--seems promising but
it's early yet--as well as continually following the question of Ben Harney's
alleged Melungeon background (jury is still out on that).

Please keep me apprised of anything on this line and I will be more than happy
to share anything I find on anyone.

Reg Pitts
KDA...@aol.com

Tracy Doyle

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99

Bill Edwards wrote:

> Hi Tracy.
>
> Thanks for the initial work. Like you, I did some geneaology research, although I was
> focused on Charlotte Blake, Edward Claypoole, Clarence Wiley, Leon Block, Joseph C.
> Northup, and Jay Roberts, trying to get info on them. I looked up Janza with the same
> results, but didn't have the time last week to chase down Marzian. Thank you for
> following that lead. Perhaps if Rags and Ragtime is updated once again (it has been a
> decade) then Aviation Rag can be included as well as further info on the identity of
> Janza. There is already quite a laundry list of updates from information that many of us,
> Mr. Berlin in particular, have found that could further codify the accuracy and
> importance of this particular book. This is just another piece.
>
> Incidentally, I was successful in located Roberts and a likely candidate for Northup
> (they were/are all over Rhode Island and surrounding states), along with enough info on
> Charlotte Blake to satisfy my needs (short of a photograph), but had little success with
> Claypoole, Wiley, or Block. There are too many wiley Wileys out there for accuracy.
>

> Soooooooooooo.... This brings up a question (challenge for me). There are composer

> databases for many genres, mostly jazz and country. I have not located an extensive
> source of on-line ragtime composer biographys with composition listings, and my own at
> this time only covers Joplin, Lamb, Matthews, Scott, and C.L. Johnson. Is there a need or
> a desire for such a database that would include photos, likely birth/death dates,
> encapsulated bios (nothing TOO extensive) and composition listings? If so, I'd be willing
> to develop this, but will occasionally require input and library searches (such as LDS)
> from this community. However, if such a thing exists and I've somehow missed it, please
> turn me on to it.
>

> Watching and waiting, Bill Edwards

Hi, Bill...

Thanks for all your wonderful work. Before you go too far, you may want
to know that a biography of Jay Roberts has already been printed in The
Rag Times. Leon Block was from Arkansas and should be traceable there.
Charlotte Blake, to the best of our knowledge worked for Remick. Check
with Nan Bostick, who is coming up with new info almost daily on the
Remick people. Clarence Wiley was a pharmacist in Oskaloosa, Iowa and
should appear in city records there.

There is an index available for the first 30 years of The Rag Times for
$22 postpaid (in the US) available from the Maple Leaf Club. It includes
all articles, books, sheet music covers, folios, obituaries, photographs
and recordings which have been featured in The Rag Times since 1967, and
all back issues are available (most are originals) for $2.50 each for
1-9 issues, 10-99 for $2.00 each, 100+ for $1.50 each.

David Jasen and Gene Jones have written a new and excellent book which
is now in the proofreading stage (we've seen the proof) called "That
American Rag" which is scheduled for publication (by Schirmer) in
November. It has a lot of good, basic information on many obscure (and
some famous) ragtime composers by region.

It is very important to do this research, however, I believe we can
channel our efforts better if we know what others have already
researched and build upon it rather than retrace their steps.

You're quite right - we need to set up a composer database, and the
Maple Leaf Club (The Rag Times) would be willing to host it on our
website. I'll be happy to help furnish information/photos, etc. We were
also thinking of posting the entire Rag Times Index there. What do you think?

Warren Trachtman

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:45:36 +0000, Bill Edwards
<b_ed...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Soooooooooooo.... This brings up a question (challenge for me). There are composer
>databases for many genres, mostly jazz and country. I have not located an extensive
>source of on-line ragtime composer biographys with composition listings, and my own at
>this time only covers Joplin, Lamb, Matthews, Scott, and C.L. Johnson. Is there a need or
>a desire for such a database that would include photos, likely birth/death dates,
>encapsulated bios (nothing TOO extensive) and composition listings? If so, I'd be willing
>to develop this, but will occasionally require input and library searches (such as LDS)
>from this community. However, if such a thing exists and I've somehow missed it, please
>turn me on to it.
>
>Watching and waiting, Bill Edwards

This is an interesting idea which has already come up in a slightly
tangential manner among some of the NVRS folks. We have a member who
is currently compiling what he hopes will be an extensive data base of
all ragtime sheet music currently available in print, including modern
ragtime compositions. We had discussed the idea of converting this to
a web-searchable data base, using some structured data-base
applications to allow for smart searching and cross-referencing.

I have the ability to include such advanced data-base search engine
functions on my website, although I have not yet taken advantage of
this capability.
In the extreme case, one can envision a cross-linked data base with
search capabilities that would allow a visitor to ask for info about a
composer and receive, in addition to biographical and historical
information, listings of compositions, sources of sheet
music and even MIDI files to listen to the tunes. Searches on a song
title could return the composer and even listings of audio CDs which
might contain the tunes. The possibilities are pretty open ended.

I'm not quite ready to volunteer to design and host such an
interactive searchable database. First, I need to investigate just
how easy/difficult it is to set up the structure. However, if it
seems tractable, the data could be added incrementally by any and all
who would be interested in helping to build the tables by filling in
the information. While not as far reaching as the SETI distributed
computing effort, the principle of distributed data collection would
be similar.

If this seems like an effort that would have enough support, I will
look into the interactive data base programming and see if it is
something I can include on my webiste, with the participation of those
who can help with supplyiing the data.

Regards,

Warren Trachtman
http://www.trachtman.org/ragtime/

----------------------------
e-mail address suppressed to avoid spam
send e-mail to "my first name"@"my last name".ORG
http://www.trachtman.org/ragtime

Tracy Doyle

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99

Mark Lutton wrote:

> I'm going to be really disappointed if Mark Janza is not the real name of the composer
> of "Lion Tamer Rag".
>
> I thought I'd finally found a piece by a composer named Mark ....
>
> Mark Lutton

Take heart, Mark...

I should have more information tomorrow. I'll be speaking with one of
the aged family members, with any luck. The family has thus far been
very helpful. I have also learned who began the rumor that Janza was
Mrs. Marzian. When challenged, the rumorer did not produce any evidence
to support his belief. I'm going to check that out, too. However, until
there is at least some supporting evidence, I don't believe it should
even be called a "theory." Thus far, we know that Janza is a real
surname, so until evidence to the contrary is produced, I'm with you,
Mark... it was composed by a fellow named Mark Janza.

Mark Lutton

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99

MARTNO1

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99

>Mark Lutton wrote:
>>
>> I'm going to be really disappointed if Mark Janza is not the real name of
>the composer
>> of "Lion Tamer Rag".

Augh! I'm going to be disappointed if this rumor is disproved. A couple months
ago I traded a rare J. Lubrie Hill instrumental sheet (Oh you Drummer) for Lion
Tamer, primarily because I thought it was pretty well accepted that it was
composed by a woman. Oh well, I still like the rag itself. Audrey Van Dyke.

Mark Lutton

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99

MARTNO1 wrote:

> Augh! I'm going to be disappointed if this rumor is disproved. A couple months
> ago I traded a rare J. Lubrie Hill instrumental sheet (Oh you Drummer) for Lion
> Tamer, primarily because I thought it was pretty well accepted that it was
> composed by a woman. Oh well, I still like the rag itself. Audrey Van Dyke.

Well, you still have "Pickles And Peppers", which is at least as good as "Lion
Tamer".

DVanAlst

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Hi all! I think I can shed a little light on some of the mysteries that have
been swirling around on this thread.

First, "Aviation Rag" is the title, not "Aviator" rag. And, the date in the
story about how it was composed may well be correct because there are at least
TWO pieces entitled "Aviation Rag." The other was written by Irene Giblin.

When the database of composers and sheet music is up and running (What a
terrific idea, by the way!) we will be able to see exactly how many Aviation
Rags there were flying around back then.

Second, Al Marzian. In the 1980s I bought a terrific package called "Indiana
Ragtime -- a Documentary Album" produced and annotated by John Edward Hasse and
Frank J. Gillis. It came with a 27-page booklet of liner notes and historical
material. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's now out of print.

At any rate, on page 11 is a PHOTOGRAPH of the one and only Albert F. Marzian,
who is represented on the album by "Angel Food Rag." The liner notes state:

"Albert F. Marzian was born in Russia of a Polish father and a Russian mother
on September 9, 1875. At the age of fifteen he came to the United States and
settled in Louisville, Kentucky. In the 1910s he engaged in popular music
composing and publishing. His Angel Food Rag was published in Chicago in 1911.
His Evening Chimes (Abendlauten): Reverie of 1913 sold several hundred
thousand copies in the United States and Europe. From 1913 to 1918 he lived in
New Albany, Indiana, just across the river from Lousiville, and thrived as a
music publisher. Fluent in German, he also reputedly played many different
musical instruments. For 13 years he conducted the Macauley's Theater
Orchestra and later was a director of music at the Louisville Male High School
and the University of Louisville. In 1931 he organized a band among carrier
boys of the Lousiville Courier Journal and Times. He died in Louisville on
June 29, 1947."

Hope this helps! And, when can I contribute my own list of sheet music to the
data base? I bet if everyone who reads this newsgroup contributed their list
of rags, you'd have some historically valuable information.

Oh, one last thought -- the "Willey" who wrote Rochester Fair Rag was Lawrence,
not Kenneth, so that may account for some problems on the geneaological front.
Note that Rochester in the title referred to Rochester New Hampshire, not New
York.

Cheers,
Fred Brodie

Tracy Doyle

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Hi, Fred...

Thanks so much for the reference to the Indiana album - Dick knew he had
a picture, but he couldn't think of where he saw it. We were going crazy
trying to find it.

BTW, the relative I spoke with, unfortunately, didn't know Al Marzian
very well. But he did have a few rather interesting recollections and he
put me on to some very good leads for further biographical information.
I haven't been able to substantiate anything one way or the other on the
Mark Janza = Mrs. Marzian theory, and I have just about postulated one
of my own, but I'm hesitant to post it until I have a particular piece
of evidence. There should be a few things coming my way over the next
week or so, but with the holiday weekend and all, seems everything has
come to a grinding halt.

Great work Fred...

And regarding the data base, as I said before, the Maple Leaf Club would
be willing to host a website if someone would be willing to help with
the deveopment. It would be neat to have a database like the Internet
Movie Database <http://www.imdb.com> where visitors can add information
to the database themselves. I don't know what this would require
PERL-wise and I'm really brain-dead in that area, so I'd need some help
from one of our programmer members.

A composer data base with photos would be an incredible thing, but I'm
not certain that a complete list of written rags would be viable,
space-wise. There were thousands of them written. Interesting thought,
however. I'll check into it a little regarding space requirements.

RAGards,

Tracy

--
To respond via e-mail, remove the characters “NospaM” from the address.

Bill Edwards

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99
A correction to a previous post. There is indeed an Aviator Rag by Irene Giblin.
However the piece in question does exist (I have a copy of it) and was by "Mark
Janza", and was called the Aviator Rag, was published by Al Marzian, and
copyrighted 1910. So it is a very real piece. Sue Keller has also recorded it. It
is part of my current posting at http://www.perfessorbill.com, along with the above
mention Aviator Rag.

Just wanted to set the record straight for accuracy sake, and so we can retain our
focus on finding Mr. Janza.

RAGards, Bill E

Mark Lutton

Sep 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/5/99

Bill Edwards wrote:

> A correction to a previous post. There is indeed an Aviator Rag by Irene Giblin.

Do you think this could be the source of the confusion? Did someone think the two
Aviator Rags were the same and therefore Mark Janza = Irene Giblin?

Of course, from there it's still a bit of a leap to marry her to Marzian the publisher.

KDAD40

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Fred Brodie (DVan...@aol.com) says in part:

>Oh, one last thought -- the "Willey" who wrote Rochester Fair Rag was
>Lawrence,
>not Kenneth, so that may account for some problems on the geneaological
>front.
>Note that Rochester in the title referred to Rochester New Hampshire, not New
>York.

Duly noted on the first name; have already made inquiries in Rochester NH.
Thanks.

Reg Pitts
KDA...@aol.com

Tracy Doyle

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99

Hi, Mark..

I think I may have mistakenly written "Aviator" rather than "Aviation"
in a previous post. I saw that before I sent it and was going to do that
after I finished writing, but forgot all about it.

I have asked a researcher whom I know has researched this question, but
he refuses to comment or to share any of his findings with the ragtime
community. Sigh. This fellow has done so much fine research, yet he
keeps it all to himself.

I find this all very discouraging. It is completely silly, in my
estimation, to retrace the steps of someone else. Even more
disheartening is knowing he's waiting in the wings to publicly criticize
anything I may come up with.

I have, however learned enough from the family that I know the only way
in which I may be able to clear up the controversy is to make two trips
- one to the Library of Congress, and the other to Louisville, KY. Since
we don't have the funds for such things nor do we have any prospects of
upcoming gigs in either Louisville or the Washington D.C. or No.
Virginia area, it's just going to have to wait. Sorry, all.

RAGards,

Tracy
--
To respond via e-mail, remove the spamblocker from the address.

Nan Bostick

Sep 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/11/99
Hi, folks. Hardly ever find time to check in anymore, but when I do,
there's good old Tracy telling you "Check with Nan Bostick." Fact is, I
don't know so darned much, really. Love the idea of a database (but
what a lot of work ). And Bill, I'm dying to know what you have found
out about Charlotte Blake.

In keeping with Tracy's faith in me, here's all I know about Charlotte
Blake:

No entries for Charlotte Blake found in the Detroit City Directory until 1903:

1903: Charlotte Blake, clrk Whitney Warner. Bds 28 Myrtle
1904: Charlotte Blake, Clrk bds 28 Myrtle
1905: Charlotte Blake, Clerk Jerome Remick. Bds 323 Harrison.
1906: Blake, Charlotte, clk J.H. Remick. bds 107 Milwaukee Av. W

From 1907 on I found no more listings for Charlotte Blake. In case folks
don't know, Whitney Warner was the name of the company Jerome Remick
took over in 1898 circa. It became known as Jerome H. Remick
-Proprietors of Whitney Warner around 1905.

One time fooling around with my Remick lists, I alphabetized by composer
and discovered that Remick published in 1910 an instrumental called
"That for You" by a Charlotte Hunt. That's the only Charlotte Hunt I
ever found on a Remick list. So I got to wondering, is this Charlotte
Blake with a new married name? Just a guess, but after 1911 there are no
more Jerome Remick published pieces by Charlotte Blake and I wonder if
she, like so many other women, got married and gave up her musical
career. I did not find a Charlotte Hunt in the Detroit Directory in
these years and did not take the time to look for marriage records.

Chronological listing of Charlotte Blake compositions found via titles
from the Whitney-Warner and Jerome Remick Library of Congress claimants
file, Detroit Public Library's collection of sheets by Detroit
composers, or titles in my own collection:

King Cupid (1903) Whitney-Warner
My Lady Laughter (1905) A Waltz. Remick.
Mascot March (1905) Remick
Love Is King (1906) A Waltz. Remick
Hip Hip Hooray (1907) March Two-Step. Remick
The Last Kiss (1907) A Waltz. Remick
Bogie Man, A Creep Mouse Fun (1907) Remick
Gravel Rag (1908) Remick
The Wish Bone Rag and Two-Step (1909) Remick
Honey When It's Sunny (1909) Lyrics: Arthur Gillespie and Collin Davis. Remick
Poker Rag (1909) Remick
Honey Bug Song (1910) lyrics: Earl C. Jones. Jerome H. Remick
Bridal Veil Waltzes (1910) Jerome H. Remick & Co Det
You're a Classy Lassie (1910) lyrics: Earle C. Jones. Remick
Love Ain't Likin’, Likin’ Ain't Love (1910) lyrics: Earl C. Jones. Remick
Meet Me Half Way (1910) words by her too. Remick.
Miss Coquette (1910) A Waltz. Remick
Love's Dream of You (1910) Lyrics: Earle C Jones
Roses Remind Me of You (1910) Lyrics: Earl C. Jones. Remick
The Road to Loveland (1911) with Neil Moret (Uncle Charlie) Lyrics:
Earle C. Jones. Remick
That Tired Rag (1911) Remick
The Harbor of Love (1911) Lyrics: Earl C. Jones. Remick

Re: Grace Bolen (Smokey Topaz) — Can't recall if she is mentioned in
this long chain, or it was something I read on Perfessor Bill's web
site, but there was a question as to Grace Bolen being a pen name, and
perhaps not a female composer. Hmmm. I was unable to find anything about
Grace Bolen in the Kansas City Public Library's clipping file, or a
listing for her in the directories available. The two compositions I
know about are:

Black Diamond Two-Step & Cakewalk (1900) published by Carl Hoffman in
Kansas City.

Smokey Topaz (1901) published by my great uncle via his firm Daniels &
Russell in Kansas City. Registered 10/24/1901; finalized (with printed
copies) 12/3/1901. When Remick purchased the Daniels & Russell catalog
(to get Hiawatha), Smokey Topaz was part of the catalog ; transferred to
Whitney Warner and was republished by that firm.

I suspect Grace Bolen is a true name and that she was either a clerk at
Hoffman's or a buddy of Charles Daniels, and once again, probably got
married and gave up composing. Who knows? Sigh.

What an informative chain this has been. Thanks, folks.