Does anyone recognize what this piece is?

Willie Williams

Apr 28, 2022, 5:05:45 PM4/28/22
Hi ragtime folks. My cousin, John Johnson, who died a couple of years ago, played and recorded this piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCr-Q7RE1I
Many of the pieces his brother sent me are familiar, Scott Joplin, Fats Waller, etc. But I don't recognize this one. John's playing was sometimes pretty frantic and, well, loose, so maybe he even merged multiple piece together here. But does anyone recognize the basic piece here? I would really like to find other recordings of it, partly because I think it's a cool piece, and also to see how far afield John went with it.

Bob Pinsker

May 2, 2022, 2:07:47 AM5/2/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 2:05:45 PM UTC-7, williamg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi ragtime folks. My cousin, John Johnson, who died a couple of years ago, played and recorded this piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCr-Q7RE1I
> Many of the pieces his brother sent me are familiar, Scott Joplin, Fats Waller, etc. But I don't recognize this one. John's playing was sometimes pretty frantic and, well, loose, so maybe he even merged multiple piece together here. But does anyone recognize the basic piece here? I would really like to find other recordings of it, partly because I think it's a cool piece, and also to see how far afield John went with it.

Sure, that's Zez Confrey's seminal "Kitten on the Keys" (published in 1921, composed slightly earlier.) It's the canonical "piano novelty". Very, very popular in its day, and even now.

Bob P.

Willie Williams

May 2, 2022, 9:36:48 AM5/2/22
You prince! Thanks, Bob. I see even Liberace did it. Why is it called a "novelty song"? It strikes me as pretty straight ragtime. What am I missing here?

Kevin Anderson

May 30, 2022, 4:32:04 PM5/30/22
On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 2:05:45 PM UTC-7, williamg...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi ragtime folks. My cousin, John Johnson, who died a couple of years ago, played and recorded this piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCr-Q7RE1I
> Many of the pieces his brother sent me are familiar, Scott Joplin, Fats Waller, etc. But I don't recognize this one. John's playing was sometimes pretty frantic and, well, loose, so maybe he even merged multiple piece together here. But does anyone recognize the basic piece here? I would really like to find other recordings of it, partly because I think it's a cool piece, and also to see how far afield John went with it.

It was probably covered by Bechet and/or Armstrong. I thought it might be "Cakewalking Babies from Home." It sounds like that early post-Joplin era.