Songs Phish should cover

Antelope

Dec 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/17/95
Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye!!!!

| . |
_ | . +---v Set the gearshift for the high |
/ )| . /@ \_/| gear of your soul.... |( \
/ / | . > )) | You've got to run like an ANTELOPE | \ \
_( (_ | \ /^\| out of control!!!!! | _) )_
(((\ \>| /-> ^^^^^ ---phish--- <-\_|</ /)))
(\\\\ \_/ /______________________________________________________\ \_/ ////)
\ / elu...@rs6000.baldwinw.edu \ /
\ _/ \_ /
/ / \ \
/___/ \___\

Possum23

Dec 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/17/95
In article <4b2c2v$o...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, wol...@aol.com (Wolos g)
writes:

>Earth Angel with Fishman singing. it would be hilarious!

It definitely would be.

Wolos g

Dec 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/17/95

Sunny Pai

Dec 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/18/95
this occured to me today...

"Happy Trails" - acappella - a la van halen's version...

no matter what you think of van halen, you gotta admit it would be
hilarious with mike singing the bass part and fishman doing the lead.

\\\|///
| ^ ^ |
(- o o -)
+-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----------------------------------------------+
| |
| "I hope that someday we will be able to put away all our fears |
| and prejudices and just laugh at people." |
| -- Jack Handey |
| .oooO Oooo. |
+-----( )-----( )-----------------------------------------------+
\ ( ) /
\_) (_/

Gr8fljed

Dec 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/18/95
"Come and Go With Me" by the DellVikings

Im sure youve heard this one in dozens of movies and commercials. They
need to do it acapella.

wawawawaaaaaaaaaaaaah..........

Digressing a bit, what PHISH songs could/should/are(?) covered by other
artists....

I would love to hear James Brown do Llama.

Peace
neil
taboot

Mr. Mood

Dec 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/18/95
I think it would be pretty funny if they did the Oompah-loompah theme songs from Willie Wonka
and the Chocolate Factory. Maybe they could change the words to fit the moment.

David Siegel

Dec 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/18/95
On Dec 18, 1995 03:45:19 in article <Re: Songs Phish should cover>,
'sp...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu (Sunny Pai)' wrote:

The Hanukah song by Adam Sandler.

This would be incredibly funny to see them play at New Years. (Which will
be my 2nd or 3rd show depending on wether I get tix to the 30th or not)

See ya'll at MSG!!!

Dave Siegel
><////'>
;-)

Mjbdisc

Dec 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/18/95
FYI, at New England Patriots games, the sound system blasts out the Willie
Wonka tune during breaks in the action. Gotta love it. I

Daniel

Dec 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/19/95
Heroin by the Velvet Underground - Trey on vocals, crazy jam.
Great Balls Of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis - Page on vocals
Fortunate Son by CCR - Mike on Vocals
I Am Woman - Helen Reddy, crooned by Fish real loud and hilarious

Runaround Sue - Dion - A Cappella

--
nothing can stop me now

D.gilmour

Dec 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/19/95

A Keyboard Kavalry of "Heart and Soul." You know, that two part song
that EVERYbody knows. I would love to hear Page jam on this.
what do you think?

farshad

Mike Levenberg

Dec 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/19/95
Peace Frog ---> Doors
This song would rock!

Mike Walker

Dec 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/19/95
Sanford & Son

Imanging them whippin it out during a phreaky Tweezer jam.
Think about it for a minute...
It would become a PHiSH classic!

--
Mike Walker
bou...@jax-inter.net

Rob Mitchum

Dec 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/22/95
Fanfare for the Common Man, the Emerson, Lake and Palmer version. It's
perfect!

-rob

SKATPJ

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
Third Stone From the Sun by Hendrix

MikleB

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
Radar Love

Louis Cerborino

Dec 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/24/95
Roxanne by the police

David Siegel

Dec 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/24/95
Hanukah Song by Adam Sandler

just think it would be funny

DFriz124

Dec 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/24/95
4 letters..... L-O-L-A

BnestaM

Dec 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/24/95
The theme song to shaft!

Sattelite9

Dec 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/24/95
Really the only song Phish should cover (that they don't already) is My
Woman From Tokyo by Deep Purple. Before you laugh, go listen to it. I
promise you you will agree.

David Siegel

Dec 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/25/95
On Dec 24, 1995 23:13:53 in article <Re: Songs Phish should cover>,
'bne...@aol.com (BnestaM)' wrote:

>The theme song to shaft!

This is a definate must.

"He's a complicated man, that nobody understands, but his Woman, SHAFT!"

"That Shaft is a baaaaaaaaaad mother,"
"Shut yo mouth,"
"Just talkin' bout Shaft,"
"We can dig it!"

Dave Siegel
;-)

Cmjenks

Dec 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/25/95
how about the doors?
people are strange
peace frog
break on through
the list can go on. they ought to consider this for next halloween. i
know thats an early thought! the doors sure played some trippy jams.

peace-josh

whi...@whitneynet.com

Dec 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/25/95
Free-->Freebird-->Free as a Bird. IMHO, that would be amazing.

Jed Elswick

Dec 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/26/95
Frankenstien by the Edgar Winter Group.

I'd be hilarious.

-derek

Contact

Dec 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/26/95
gypsy woman (from Happy, Sad--Tim Buckley)

Dave Norberg

Dec 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/27/95
??? They do play Frankenstein. I've seen it a couple of times, and it's
really hot! Dave

Eugene Accado

Dec 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/27/95
How about "Heard It Through The Grapevine" right in the middle of a
Tweezer. Think about how easy the segue would be.

Deep Purple's "Highway Star". One of the greatest heavy metal songs of
all time. If the words "heavy metal" scare you give this one a listen.
The Metalicas and Anthraxes of today are no comparison. Phish is probably
the only band touring now that has the talent to pull this off.

Zachary Richard's "Who Stole My Monkey". I just thought of it because it
just came on as my CD carousel spun to the next CD. It would be pretty
funny to hear Fishman singing this and it would be a companion song to
"Sleeping Monkey". Mike may have to try and play the accordian again
though :).

Eugene

Vincent Cimino

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95

I agree with this one. My Woman From Tokyo would be a scorcher. How 'bout the
boys doin' a cover of Black Sabbath's War Pigs.

Vincent Cimino

Dec 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/28/95
vci...@mcimail.com wrote

> My Woman From Tokyo would be cool. How 'bout the boys doin'
a cover of Sabbath's War Pigs.

Silv88

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
I think that Phish should cover For what it's Worth by Buffalo
Springfield.

Chad Hill

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
> I think that Phish should cover For what it's Worth by Buffalo
> Springfield.

That would be really cool!
They should also play St. Stephen by the Dead.

EyesWrld

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
Maybe in a couple years when the fallout from Garcia's death and the whole
Phish/Dead thing has dies down somewhat, perhaps Phish could do some Dead
covers without the risk of the scene being overrun by Deadheads. They'd do
well on a whole lot of tunes but some of the more recent Bobby tunes with
their weird chord progressions seem to really fit Phish's style. Imagine
what they could do with the jam in Saint of Circumstance! They could also
do an intensely deranged Victim. On a sweeter note, I would be in bliss if
they did Ripple acoustic

Simon

Brian Hedden

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
China Grove by the Doobie Brothers....I don't know...it would really
fit...

Chad Hill

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
If they did ripple that would kick ass

Chad

Lar0946

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf would work perfect with Phish's
style. Happy dancin' chorus with long spacy section back into to happy
chorus...could be a real house-rocker!

rich benson

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
Who songs really work well with Phish, as much as most of Zappa's
stuff... i have always thought Pinball Wizard would be the coolest

rich :)

SM...@aol.com

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96

From: Brian Hedden <BHedden@ppp@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Songs Phish should cover
Date: 1 Jan 1996 17:41:57 GMT

China Grove by the Doobie Brothers....I don't know...it would really
fit...

Best suggestion yet.

Robert Rice

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
In <4c98h4$m...@uucp.intac.com> Chad Hill
I remember hearing that they have played Eyes of the World in the
past. Anyone have the tape? (blatently undisguised grovel)

_MATT_

Kaya00

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
what about the *alien jam* from star wars...where luke and o.b.1 go into
the bar
check it out i think you will like it....

Fee647

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96

Sheep-Pink Floyd

Paranoid-Black Sabbath

Won't Get Fooled Again-The Who (That could ROCK!!!!)

Fee647

BnestaM

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
I still say they should play shaft

Ben A. Skoch

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96

In a previous article, fee...@aol.com (Fee647) says:

>Sheep-Pink Floyd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You just KNOW Page would have to bust out some intense
Rhodes playing on this one. (If he doesn't have one, I'll buy him one)
And that part where the vocals melt into synthesizer notes! They have to
do this! Start lobbying for Animals on Halloween 96!

>Paranoid-Black Sabbath
>
>Won't Get Fooled Again-The Who (That could ROCK!!!!)
>

>Fee647

-peace,
Ben

--
Ben Skoch: ho...@cleveland.freenet.edu
Check out my tapelist at the Trader's Corner:

The Girl Wonder

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96

That would be sick! I'd die! I always want them to play Can You
Picture That by Dr Teeth & Elecrtic Mayhem (I voted for the Muppet
Movie for ween :) A!

AVenti307

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
I've got a Tape from '85 With Eyes of The World and Scarlet Begonias. plus
Whipping post. There is a bootleg CD I have with Fire on the Mountain and
I've heard a few different versions.

AVenti307

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
I'm happy someone cleared up this Frankenstien problem. I was getting
worried.

AVenti307

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
I agree "alien jam" would kick ass. I had the star wars 8-Track when I was
little and that was the best track on there.

-Tony

Wedge R3

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
I know I just lurk here, but still....
The 'alien jam' (Cantina Band is the title, btw) from Star Wars would be
great, but I have some more. Before you get nervous, upset, or flame,
just listen to me here <pretty please?>. Monkees possibilities:
'Listen To The Band' done live is always awesome. There was on time I
saw it on tv, and for a while a psychedelic jam was played at the end.

'(Not Your) Steppin' Stone' is practically perfect for Phish. I mean, if
REM and The Sex Pistols can cover it, why not these guys? If you listen
to it on the Live 1967 album, they do a great improv jam in the middle of
the song, and Michael Nesmith even puts a little bit of 'Purple Haze' into
it for good measure. It's got some of the highst energy I've heard from
any live Monkees songs.

Phil

DFriz124

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
Life's been good- Joe Walsh
LOLA!

Daniel

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
The Top Ten Songs Phish should cover:

10) Midnight Rambler - The Rolling Stones
9) Isis - Bob Dylan
8) Different Strokes Theme Song A Cappella
7) Night Court theme (could be a SICK funk jam)
6) White Light White Heat - Velvet Underground
5) Search & Destroy - Iggy & The Stooges
4) That's The Way I Like It - KC and the Sunshine Band
3) Cum On Feel The Noize - Quiet Riot
2) Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin On - Jerry Lee Lewis
1) I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston (sung by Henrietta)

Yorgos "Jimmy Swaggart is my illegitamate father" El Guapo

--
nothing can stop me now

fraaggle

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
any monkee's songs!...ya YA! ;)

Adrn Veidt

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
I've always thought Phish should cover some serious rock.
How about "do you feel like I do" by Frampton? The live version rocks,
although I don't know if Phish could pull it off. . .
I also think a litle bit of Queen would be fun . . . Bycicle race, Fat
bottom girls, Loverboy, or even Under Pressure, as well as others.
Peace
§ Adrian

Brian Hedden

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
Eight Miles High by the Byrds just hit me as one.

TRA222

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
hotel california

-Tra

Dana Zuu1

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
Yes--Siberian Khatru
Tull--Wondrin Aloud (great acoustic)
Talking Heads--What a Day that Was
Zeppelin (yet another)--The Crunge
Traffic--Glad
hell, they could probably pull off Beethoven if they really felt like
it.....

PTanzi

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart"
Theme to Mission Impossible
A Beach Boy's Album for Halloween '96
The TJ Maxx song
Barry Manilow's "I Can't Smile Without You" -- Fishman sings

Brian Hedden

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
Custard Pie-Led Zeppelin

Marc Pietro

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
In article <4cavkk$h...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, fee...@aol.com says...

>Sheep-Pink Floyd

How about "Dogs" by Pink Floyd?

--
...and through the wire,
Marc

DJS87

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
Peace Train- Cat Stevens (sung by Tubbs)
Plastic Fantastic Lover- the Airplane
Cripple Creek- The Band
What is and What should never be- Led Zep
Thriller- Michael Jackson

China Grove-- best idea so far

Jacoby19

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
You Wrote:
under heading - Songs Phish should cover
Frankenstien by the Edgar Winter Group.

I'd be hilarious.

-derek

Hello!! Check your Helping Phriendly. They have been doing Frankenstein
since July 11, 1991. They opened with it at Halloween '94, Get a copy.
Just thought we'd clue you in

P.S. It really wasn't all that funny.

Gr8fljed

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
Scarlet Begonias >
Fire On The Mountain
(the Marshall Tucker Band "Fire...." not the Dead's)

peace
neil

* I'm not prejudiced towards anyone.... *
* I'm an equal opportunity offender! ;-) *

Jacoby19

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
I have always thought they should cover

Inagodadavida by Iron Butterfly
that's my two cents

DonInvent

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
I think Phish could pull off some Simon & Garfunkel.
Can you imagine Trey doing The Boxer or Mrs. Robinson!??

--annie--

Phun122833

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
I think they should cover pucka pucka pucka squidilly boink...It is on the
FRaggle Rock music and Magic Cd.....And I love IT!!!

TWood14307

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
i think phish should stay away from dead tunes but if there had to be a
song that they would cover it would be st. stephen (just an opinion)

TWood14307

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
i do not want to hear phish do a black sabbath song

TWood14307

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
i'm with you that would be great

STRNGDSIGN

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
how about Linus and Lucy....song from the peanuts gang, by Vince Guaraldi,
I heard this one after the Dayton show so my freind let his deck run a
little bit longer to catch it.

BHatley469

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band/beattles would really rock and so
would
L.A. Woman/Doors and Break on Through/Doors

just about any other doors song that's not really a hit would be cool

Feeeeeeeee

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
Whoever said they should do "Won't Get Fooled Again" is right on. That'd
be awesome.
How 'bout "Somebody To Love" by the Jefferson Airplane or The Animals "We
Gotta Get Outa This Place"?

Shannon Nicholls

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
All in the LA Area should be aware of this killer show celebrating
Carlos Santana's induction to the Rock Walk in Hollywood.

Carlos!
John Lee Hooker
Buddy Guy
Herbie Hancock
Guy Shorter (killer sax)
Tito Puente

takes place Feb 25 at the Universal Amphitheater

Steven Zareh

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96