does phish use drugs?

Harv

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

A very simple question :)... Anyone?

Mark L. Goldberg

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

In article <329bd...@atheria.europa.com>, har...@europa.com (Harv) wrote:

~ A very simple question :)... Anyone?

I think that Trey has Excedrin headaches.
Page is more of a Bufferin type, and Mike just meditates.
Fishman? Blue-Green Algae.

2^3

Mark L. Goldberg \//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\ 32 Summit Ave. #5
Boston College Law School /\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\ Brookline, MA 02146
cu...@pcix.com \//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\ gold...@tony.bc.edu
............ "You're gonna die, clown!" --Happy Gilmore ...........

gol...@aol.com

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

Trey and Mike smoke incredible amounts of dank sometimes. Page is a coke
head, and Fishman has been tripping for 420 years now. -ed

antel...@aol.com

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

who cares?

china...@aol.com

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

<><
In Vancouver, i guess the story is that Fishman and Mike(or was it
Trey?) while they were crossing the boarder on the bandbus got there stash
takin'. at the show they said "they took are dank!" so i GUESS the answer
is yes
\
<><
lincoln

ikew...@aol.com

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

is marijuana a drug?
are shroomies?
is there anything wrong with that?
Ike Willis
(no, not THE ike willis)

John Wood

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

Harv wrote:

> A very simple question :)... Anyone?

And a very simple answer to anyone who asks personal
information like that: None of your business!

John J. Wood
jo...@newscorp.com

feeth...@aol.com

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

who's THE Ike Willis?

The Ape

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

In article <19961127141...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
antel...@aol.com says...

>who cares?

I care, because I am curious if they come up with their songs clear-headed,
or with the aid of other substances. Being a musician, I am interested in
their composing process.

Mike Ramsey

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

> >who cares?
>
> I care, because I am curious if they come up with their songs
clear-headed,
> or with the aid of other substances. Being a musician, I am interested in

> their composing process.

Well, in the latest Bass Player mag, Mike said that he likes to smoke pot.

Kristopher Franco

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

feeth...@aol.com wrote:

!who's THE Ike Willis?

a potato headed ducklet

rectus

Blair K Willis

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

On Thu, 28 Nov 1996, Kristopher Franco wrote:

> feeth...@aol.com wrote:
>
> !who's THE Ike Willis?
>
> a potato headed ducklet

No, actually, *the* Ike Willis is my brother.
Well, his name is Isaac but we call him "Ike" sometimes.

Now for some real Phish content, I've been wondering about something for
a great while. On 2/20/93, Fishman (I think) says, "...and the Willis
tapes...." Anybody have any idea what this banter was about?

--Blair Willis, possesser of the *official* Willis tape collection.

Richard Cummings

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

You fools have no clue who the almighty Willis is? As a former resident
of Plainfield, Vermont, I can give you all a clue. J. Willis Pratt (who
Fish was clearly referring to at that show) has been best friends with
Fishman since he was a Goddard student in the mid eighties. Between
recording seminal punk-metal albums, which are highly reccomended but
hard to find outside Vermont, backed up by Fishman, Trey, Dan Archer, Jon
Neville and other Vermont musicians, Willis is to Plainfield what Barney
is to Sringfield on the Simpsons, the lovable, annoying, slightly insande
town drunk. A good Willis story: we were hanging out at my friend's
place, I had just recently met Willis and he was explaining to me why he
could not get a normal job and why he recieved state assistance: "MY
BALLS HURT! They hurt like this" and he grabbed my arm, prompting my
friend to shreak "WILLIS!" He'd thought Willis grabbed my balls,
something not uncommon. When it all comes down to it, I feel sorry for
the guy, he has no clue why some kid who'd been drinking and jamming with
for fifteen years is suddenly a rock star, and he's still the town drunk.

Yorgos

"ARE YOU READY TO DESCEND"

The Ape

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article <329F50...@netaxis.com>, icc...@netaxis.com says...

>This is a subject that has been brought up on the net before, and this
>is how I feel about it. WHO CARES!!! Why do we have to analyze every
>fucking thing the band does. That takes the element of surprise out of
>everything. Can't we just sit back and enjoy the music? It's obvious
>that there is probably a little pot smoking going on, from references in
>songs like Markisupa Policeman, but do you really need to know what
the
>boys do in their private time. The operative word there is private.
>Let them live their lives, without us knowing every detail.
>
>I don't care if they use drugs or not. As long as the music is good, I
>have no complaints.
>
>Mind your own business...
>--
>Dave Siegel
>icc...@netaxis.com

Christ... it's not like I called them up and annoyed them till they told me.
It was an innocent question, aroused from simple curiosity. You don't
need to get all nutty about it... I asked it once, and it won't be asked again.

Don't herniate...

harvey
har...@europa.com

David Siegel

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

sligh...@aol.com

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Wasn't Ike Willis a member of Frank Zappa's troupe at one point?

I've got both sets of 2-20-93 and I've never heard this reference to the
"Willis Tapes"

Simon Bolivar

Phishp5631

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

i don't know about the others but mike smokes weed. he said it the lastest
issue of bass player.

-wally

Paul Chung

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

this is an interesting topic... i dodnt know that Mike smoked pot.
Well, you know that Fish drinks (how could any normal person be like
that), but as far as POt (which i dont even consider a drug) I dont know
if Fish does. Im sure back in their days at UVM and Godard, they werent
opposed to a little experimentation. As far as Trey is concerned, he
seems pretty straight, except for those times during a show, when he
doesnt come to the mic in time. Has anyone ever noticed that...
sometimes he just doesnt come to the mic on time, which leads me to
believe... anyways, if I played guitar like Trey, nite in and nite out,
i think id have to be on speed. But Trey seems pretty substance free.

good health, godspeed, and happy phishing,
-paul

Greg Shepherd

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Hmm, Well I'm nearly certain that during the cold-and-flu season, they
have bouts with Niquil and/or Robutuson. Don't let this get out; I'd hate
to see a little fact like this affect their public image.

Richard Cummings

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

Phishp5631 wrote:

> i don't know about the others but mike smokes weed. he said it the lastest
> issue of bass player.
>
> -wallyThese posts have to stop. This is Phish's personal, private life. For
the record, they all smoke a lot of herb, big deal, many musicians do.
Fish likes to drink. And as is mentioned above, every member has alluded
to ganja in the press, except for Page. At the Vancouver show, actually,
they alluded to the fact that their herb was found at the border, pretty
dumb if ya ask me, considering the near legal status, high quality and
cheapness of Canadian marijauna. Let's put this one to rest, and start
talking about Phish, the music, not Phish, the stoners.

Yorgos

david zgonc

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

As far as my opinion is concerned, Ithink that trey along with the rest of
the band use drugs regularly.
Especially substances such as meth and x.

zag

CBertolet

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

Zag zigged:

Your evidence would be???

This post reminds me of all the gay people who came out and said they KNEW
that Keanu Reeves had married David Geffen. They were all so eager to
have someone famous in their camp that they made up a story and it spread
as fact. It blows me away that young people look at someone with as much
energy as Trey and assume it must come from drugs. Can't come from music,
right?

Zag, here's a fact: there's no way to tour if you're doing meth on a
regular basis. It wrecks your immunity and you'd come down with a
horrible disease of some kind no later than halfway through. Touring and
sleeping on busses is hard enough as it is without throwing speed into the
equation.

I don't think that Phish are saints, but I also really don't care enough
to make groundless speculations like that.

"Democracy is not a static thing. It is an everlasting march." - FDR

chris bertolet

Bubblepipe

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

You know what? You are drugs.

sdub...@earthlink.net

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

I don't think there is anything wrong with the occasional toke and I am
sure that the guys indulge, but I doubt that they have time on
tour between sleeping and playing!

Deb

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

as a UVM student i would highly believe that the guys pulled many 420's...heck, we do it
all the time...i'm sure they've cut down now but remember that they are from Vermont,
home of the dank buds

JC Martin

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

> > -wallyThese posts have to stop.
This is Phish's personal, private life. For
> the record, they all smoke a lot of herb, big deal, many musicians do.
> Fish likes to drink. And as is mentioned above, every member has alluded

> to ganja in the press, except for Page. At the Vancouver show, actually,

> they alluded to the fact that their herb was found at the border, pretty
> dumb if ya ask me, considering the near legal status, high quality and
> cheapness of Canadian marijauna.

Now this was probably a joke. The press would have been all over this if
that incident actually happened.

Let's put this one to rest, and start
> talking about Phish, the music, not Phish, the stoners.
>
> Yorgos

This personal stuff has to stop....and for the record #%$&&. Come on!.
First of all,
Fishman said in some drummer magazine recently (forgot which one) said that
he doesn't smoke pot because it makes him think that he's playing better
than he actually is. He said playing drums in the band takes a lot of
concentration. So there's one guy in the band that doesn't smoke herb. I
personally don't know about the others, but does it really matter?

JC Martin

JC Martin

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

david zgonc <zgo...@osu.edu> wrote in article
<01bbe855$74d1eec0$60b4...@happy.bme.ri.ccf.org>...

> As far as my opinion is concerned, Ithink that trey along with the rest
of
> the band use drugs regularly.
> Especially substances such as meth and x.
>
> zag

YEAH DUDE....AND I HEARD THEY CUT THEIR NAILS WITH RAZOR BLADES TOO!

Brad

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

> This personal stuff has to stop....and for the record #%$&&. Come on!.
> First of all,
> Fishman said in some drummer magazine recently (forgot which one) said that
> he doesn't smoke pot because it makes him think that he's playing better
> than he actually is. He said playing drums in the band takes a lot of
> concentration. So there's one guy in the band that doesn't smoke herb. I
> personally don't know about the others, but does it really matter?
>
> JC Martin

no need to defend the band if they, themselves have admitted to using the
drug. Fishman did say that he does not play on pot anymore. but he also
stated that he and the band did smoke some in amsterdam stating that it
was an irrisistable type of thing. i am sure they are moderate marijuana
consumers. as many of their bootleggs and songs have made allusions to
the drug. but lets face it folks, they are in their thirties and are
professional musicans. partying every night would have to take it toll.
So now my question for you, how long do you think it will take for this
thread to resurface? A week? a month? :)

brad (less than 2 months is my guess)

Jeff Sapyta

Dec 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/24/96

On 15 Dec 1996, Bubblepipe wrote:

> You know what? You are drugs.

Salvidor Dali? Is that you? =-)

*Jeff Sapyta "It is not necessary to imagine *
*408 E. Green St. #300 the world ending in fire or ice. *
*Champaign, IL 61820 There are two other possibilities*
*(217) 355-5132 ..one is paperwork, and the other*
*j-sa...@students.uiuc.edu is nostalgia." -Frank Zappa *
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
*+"Computers are useless.... they can only give you answers."+*
* -Pablo Picasso*

Original64

Dec 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/27/96

Who cares if any members of the band do drugs. Thre music still sounds
great. If they do it wouldn't lower my opinion of them. Would it you?

Tone Clone

Dec 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/28/96

If you think phish is straight then you are on serious drugs. Who cares
what ,all I know is they are not perfect. I think if they don't us drugs
anymore it is wrong to play music that infuences its listeners to use
them. If you don't think phish is better on drugs you better recognise!

The Schildknecht's

Dec 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/28/96

How does thier music influence listeners to use drugs???

JC Martin

Dec 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/28/96

Tone Clone <tone...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19961228150...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> If you think phish is straight then you are on serious drugs. Who cares
> what ,all I know is they are not perfect. I think if they don't us drugs
> anymore it is wrong to play music that infuences its listeners to use
> them. If you don't think phish is better on drugs you better recognise!

UHHH?

Tone Clone

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

The Schildknecht's

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

E. Grant Doyle

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

Tone Clone <tone...@aol.com> wrote in article

<5a4g1l$5...@nr1.vancouver.istar.net>...

> If you think phish is straight then you are on serious drugs. Who cares
> what ,all I know is they are not perfect. I think if they don't us drugs
> anymore it is wrong to play music that infuences its listeners to use
> them. If you don't think phish is better on drugs you better recognise!

their music has never influenced me or anyone i know to do drugs...that is
the stupidest thing i have ever heard...i think that the music (any kind of
music) sounds much better if you are sober...the light shows are for those
who are stoned...phish is not better on drugs and by saying this you are
just proving that you go to the shows just to have an excuse to use
them...the music is good, period.
nick

JC Martin

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

Tone Clone <tone...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19961228150...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> If you think phish is straight then you are on serious drugs. Who cares
> what ,all I know is they are not perfect. I think if they don't us drugs
> anymore it is wrong to play music that infuences its listeners to use
> them. If you don't think phish is better on drugs you better recognise!

UHHH?

Gregg Myren

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

What a revelation? Thanks a lot for your insight, Tone Clone. I've wasted
all this time listening to Phish sober. What drugs would you suggest that
I use when I listen to Phish.

Let's get serious. Listening to Phish for any other reason than hearing
some of the greatest music would be a terrible injustice to the band and
especially the music. It's your own choice, but I would suggest giving the
music a chance when you are sober (you may be surprised).

Happy New Years. Peace.

Gregg
gmy...@mm.com

Tone Clone <tone...@aol.com> wrote in article

<5a4g1l$5...@nr1.vancouver.istar.net>...

FargnBastd

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

Any music you listen to sounds really great while you are stoned. It's not
as if only Phish music or Pink Floyd music sounds any better high...all
music does! I remember one time I was tripping face while listening to My
Friend My Friend and I thought it was the greatest song ever! Sober, I
think its a great song, but certainly not even the best Phish song by far.
Basically, what Im saying is, wait...I forgot..
Oh yeah! Stay out of my liquor!

Gregg Myren

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

By the way folks, my previous post did contain some sarcasm (entire first
paragraph). I was attempting to stress that Phish is about the music (pure
and simple). While the replies I received regarding drug suggestions were
funny, I do stress that Phish (and any other music worth listening to)
should (in my humble opinion) be experienced with a clear mind. Even
sober, Phish is too much to comprehend and anything which may hind in the
experiencing of them is not needed.

Peace Again.

Gregg

Gregg Myren <gmy...@mm.com> wrote in article
<01bbf5b1$b98c0b40$6f2249cc@gregg>...

atomheart

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

> Even sober, Phish is too much to comprehend and anything which may hind
in the
> experiencing of them is not needed.
>
> Peace Again.

so I guess LSD would actually enhance enjoyment of Phish, since the
principle effect of LSD is to increase the brain's ability to receive and
perceive information

just a thought

but I agree with you for the most part, especially when I see phans all
boozed up at shows. the last drug I would ever want to do at a concert is
alcohol.

--
atomheart
-^-peace ese-^-

Herschel A Gelman

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

Tone Clone (tone...@aol.com) had written:

| If you think phish is straight then you are on serious drugs. Who cares
| what ,all I know is they are not perfect. I think if they don't us drugs
| anymore it is wrong to play music that infuences its listeners to use
| them. If you don't think phish is better on drugs you better recognise!

Wow. Now wouldn't this post make a much better anti-drug campaign than
"Just Say No"? Show teenagers some lucid post ("This is your post"), and
then this one ("This is your post on drugs"). Watch drug use drop
dramatically...

--
Herschel "Any questions?" Gelman

Jay Lakes

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

On 3 Jan 1997 06:08:32 GMT, hag...@pitt.edu (Herschel A Gelman)
wrote:

I have never heard an overt drug reference on any original (except for
12/6/86, Mike saying something about "illicit drugs" during Mike's
song).
PERSONALLY, I feel that the 4:20 RR reference was more of an
obligatory salutation (But yes, they did throw that funny little twist
for FOTM way back when)
As long as they're happy, jamming and healthy, that's fine with me.
Jay

D4sha

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

Well, Trey smoked onstage in Europe last summer...Mike says he smokes
occasionally in the Bass Player interview...as long as it's in moderation.
The music MUST come first!!

peace all,
D4

Ling18

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

Yes they do, My friend at UVM smoked Gordon up once.

Dire Wolf

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

Well, if they don't use drugs, then they were holding someone else's
stash when the passed the border patrol on the way to Vancouver this
summer. Stoopid!
--
-Robert M. Hardin @->--
(Still looking for a DAT of 9/20/82, 7/3/94)