PHISH-WOMEN Digest - 13 Feb 2003 to 14 Feb 2003 - Special issue(#2003-139)

1 view

PHISH-WOMEN

Feb 23, 2003, 2:53:15 PM2/23/03

Topics in this special issue:

1. Actually...
2. Correction
3. in defense of natalie (2)
4. War and other such ramblings
5. PHISH-WOMEN Digest - 13 Feb 2003 (#2003-138)
6. bonnaroo artists up
7. Frodo has failed, Bush has the ring.
8. Happy Valentines Day
9. :)
10. bonnaroo??
11. :o)
12. *Birthday to Announce!!*
13. I agree on one point...

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:39:39 -0500
From: Sarah Quinton <squi...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Actually...

Truth be told, foreigners just hate American cats.

So here's some trivia: The peace sign--where did it come from?
Weeeeell,
in the 1950s, it was invented by Bertrand Russell who was a member of
the
Direct Action Committee against Nuclear War. It is a combination of
the
letters N and D as they appear as Navy Code of Semaphores (flag
signalling.)
The symbol for N has the flagman holding his arms at 45 degree angles
above
his hips, and the symbol for D has him pointing his right-hand flag in
the
air with the left-hand flag pointing straight down. Put them together
and
draw a circle around them and you get the peace sign.

ND stands for Nuclear Disarmament.

Love,
Sarah Q

When the heart grieves over what it has lost, the spirit rejoices over
what
it has left.

- Sufi epigram

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:42:42 -0500
From: Sarah Quinton <squi...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Correction

Bertrand Russell is said to have commissioned a man named Gerald
Holtom to
create the peace sign.

SSQ

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:58:45 -0800
From: tiff csaszar <honorth...@yahoo.com>
Subject: in defense of natalie

well, I think that Natalie's post was pretty damn good and right
on the money. Calling someones opinion "garbage," Jack, is not very
nice. If you don't agree with her, that's cool ... but don't tell
someone that their thoughts are "garbage" ... you are just making
yourself look ignorant, and thus your opinion less worthy - by doing
that.

there will *always* be people who will call others hippocrites.
It's ashame you can do just about everything in your power to change
the world on *your own individual level*, yet someone, somewhere,
who does not agree with you, will always exist and find some reason
to put you down and denounce you, as being a "hippocrite."

all that said, be the change you wish to see in the world phunkies!
If you happen to be a hippocrite because you care about the
environment
and the world, but then you drive a car, or own a computer (like
me, shoot me!), or whatever, never doubt yourself, as a result of
someone elses labeling standards ... continue to do the best that
YOU can do, however so you choose to go about doing that, and know
that you are making a huge difference by doing the things that you
DO manage to accomplish ... which are probably ALOT more than most
people accomplish.

In today's society, you've gotta balance your battles out and pick
where you wanna focus your energy. It's hard enough to be victorious
in your one ultimate, favorite cause, much less a winner in every
global struggle that you recognize.

Natalie spoke harsh words "We are about to get what we deserve"
but ya know what ... harsh is frighteningly all too real, especially
since she's got a real good point. while there are WONDERFUL people
in america and we do have more freedom than most other countries,
look at what we've done to peoples around the world, and are
CONTINUING
to do! ya really think they are jealous of us Jack? ... if I lived
in Iraq or Palestine or Vieques or Columbia ... I sure as heck don't
think I'd be jealous ... I'd be downright furious, and rightfully
so. It's scary to think that just *maybe* they aren't jealous, aint
it? I mean, if that were true, then how could we ever explain any of
this? hmmm

tiff

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:10:04 +0000
From: Jennifer Molenda <j.mo...@attbi.com>
Subject: War and other such ramblings

So I've been thinking about a lot of topics that have come up on this
list
recently and decided to try them out on my coworkers. Not only do they
think
it is an amazingly incredible thing to get plastic sheeting and duck
tape...they actually spent an entire 45 minute lunch break debating on
how
they would take it off the wall without ruining their paint
jobs...wtf? So I
sat there in utter daydream state until asked "What are you doing for
Valentine's Day?" I replied "I'm going to share it with my vagina,"
and
proceeded to tell them about how my friend *Caroline* is going to wear
a shirt
with two black V's on the front and two black V's on the back. They
will stand
for "Voracious, vibrant, virignal vagina" or something along those
lines...
They were shocked, gave me funny looks all day...ah sweet bliss...

So my lovely boyfriend left for San Diego today. I told him to look
for a gold
sequined pants girl named Amy J. He also thinks I'm crazy!

Well...next Thursday is Chicago...yeah...whoo!

I can wait to party like a rock star...mmm...Phish...so good

I can't wait to see what summer tour dates will look like...

I'm so phukin Irie

*IrieJen*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 04:00:32 -0800
From: Gwen Grimes <phishi...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: PHISH-WOMEN Digest - 13 Feb 2003 (#2003-138)

"Sorry Natalie, but your argument is garbage. People hate Americans
out
of envy"

No, people hate Americans because they are so freeking arrogant...

Gwen

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 04:13:11 -0800
From: David Steinberg <zz...@seanet.com>
Subject: bonnaroo artists up

2003 Bonnaroo Confirmed Artists:

The Dead
Widespread Panic
James Brown
The Allman Brothers Band
Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals
Jack Johnson
moe.
Galactic
The Roots
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones
Medeski Martin & Wood
Sonic Youth
Yonder Mountain String Band
Robert Randolph & the Family Band
Nickel Creek
G. Love and Special Sauce
Tortoise
Sound Tribe Sector 9
O.A.R.
North Mississippi Allstars
Warren Haynes
Keller Williams
Garage A Trois
Mix Master Mike
Kid Koala
Z-Trip
Particle
Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra
Smokey and Miho
The New Deal
RJD2
The Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players

-David "ZZYZX" Steinberg www.ihoz.com "very strange raving
egomaniac"
*"Gaffer is a powerful and *"I can't believe I'm a junior and a*
* relentless force from the north* film major, when all I really *
* delivering mathy hardcore from * wanted in this life was to marry a*
* Waterloo, Ontario" * lobsterman and cook fish." *
* -epitonic.com (mathy hardcore?)* -a letter from Christie Searing *

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:28:20 -0500
From: "Chimato,Mary" <mc...@exchange1.drexel.edu>
Subject: Re: in defense of natalie

I really don't want to get into this argument because I have pretty
strong feelings about this whole issue that do not seem to be the
popular opinion, but I just wanted to say one thing.

I, personally, think that saying "we got what we deserved" is a
pretty fucked up thing to say. No one who died on September 11th
was doing anything other than going to work, and the vast majority
of the people in this country who could potentially die in this
situation are doing the same thing: just going to work to get their
paycheck.

Yeah, the United States has a really bad track record with what
it has done to other countries, but we are not the only country
to shit on people. EVERY COUNTRY at some point in it's history
has fucked over some group or groups of people. The United States
just happens to be targeted more visibly. Saddam Hussein is a
horrible
person, he has a track record of murdering and torturing the people
under his rule. Look at that asshole Milosovic, he was brought
up on crimes against humanity. Look at what is and has been going
on in the former Soviet Union. Look at France and England's history.
The United States is not alone. We just get most of the shit hurled
our way because we are "evil incarnate." I love it when the leaders
of other countries point out the United States' wrongdoings but
somehow ignore the history of their own country. My how soon we
forget.

Natalie spoke harsh words "We are about to get what we deserve"
but ya know what ... harsh is frighteningly all too real, especially
since she's got a real good point. while there are WONDERFUL people
in america and we do have more freedom than most other countries,
look at what we've done to peoples around the world, and are
CONTINUING
to do! ya really think they are jealous of us Jack? ... if I lived
in Iraq or Palestine or Vieques or Columbia ... I sure as heck don't
think I'd be jealous ... I'd be downright furious, and rightfully
so. It's scary to think that just *maybe* they aren't jealous, aint
it? I mean, if that were true, then how could we ever explain any of
this? hmmm

tiff

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc.
http://www.lsoft.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:10:40 -0800
From: quirkymoonbeam <quick...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Frodo has failed, Bush has the ring.

The subject title, now THAT is a great poster. But
you know what? I have a problem with signs that say
things like "FUCK BUSH", ones that say mean things
about him, ones that use profanity. And you know that
I'll be the first one to say these things in my own
little group of friends, or cyber world of 1600
phunkies. But I just think it makes people
demonstrating for peace look bad. It was funny…at
one of the demonstrations I went to, when Cheney came
to town, there were a couple of guys with signs like
that and it was like they had a disease, cause no one
wanted to stand next to them, including me. How can
you be promoting peace and then go around with a big
sign saying all this negative shit.? Another lesson
in self-evaluation for me, as I would do well to apply
this thought in most of my life, eh?

Grabbin' my shoe horn….

Yeah…thanks Lizzie for reminding me of that great show
in '98 at Thomas and Mack. Listening to it now. I am
SO excited that tomorrow I will have to run here to
the office to check out SET LISTS!!! And Sunday
too!!! God, I still can't believe THEY ARE BACK!!!
Have great shows all you folks starting out on tour or
seeing the left coast shows!

And Bill's post….re the tickets and stubs….his got
kind of lost in our racist struggle. But that was a
great post. I have ALL my ticket stubs. I have taped
them on a big poster board and they are on a wall in
my closet. Do any of you remember my CLOFFICE? The
big walk in closet that I have my computer in that my
son labelled a cloffice because it was a closet and an
office. The walls in there are all Phish and other
cool stuff. But ever since my modem died I haven't
even used my computer, its been turned off for more
than a year and the closet is just used to hide junk
in now, a big cluttered mess. One of my goals is to
clean that up and fix the decorations up differently
and maybe even get my computer up and running again
some day. I didn't have the motivation since I had
this one here at work. And its been kind of nice not
being obsessed with being on the computer when I'm at
home.

But anyway…ticket stubs…I want to do something cool
with that poster with all my tickets. I was thinking
of taking it to BenFranklins and having it laminated
or something…and then starting a new one beginning
with New Years…pre and post hiatus posters. I
dunno…what do you think…continue the poster, or make
2, pre and post? I love my ticket stubs…

That Rolling Stone article made me weep. It reminded
me just how sick I am about this band, how in love
with them I am, even when I find fault with them, I
just can't get enough. And when Trey said they'd be
playing when they are 80…damn, that means I've got to
get in shape, cause when I'm 90, I wanna be there!!

I love phish

Happy Valentines Day

Peace and love
Ellen R Quirk.

~~~

=====

~~~~

"I am not scared," shouted Marge, as she ran past the old folk's
home with grandpa rocking on the porch.

"Then you are not paying attention," he said in reply.

~~

http://shopping.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:21:32 -0600
From: Laura Berry <laur...@hhsys.org>
Subject: Happy Valentines Day

Happy Happy Happy LOVE Day to you all!!!

_ _
l \/ l
\ /
\ /
\/

*MWAH*

momapoe

--
'I See the Path Ahead of Me'

attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
the original message.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:47:13 EST
From: Rosalie Lavertu <Rauze...@aol.com>
Subject: :)

happy valentines day to my darling phunkies!

i love each and everyone of you.

if you want a personal hug you can email me.

if you are okay with a big ass group hug, here goes

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((PHUNKIES))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

))))))))))

squeeze squeeze squeeze squeeze squeeze squeeze squeeze

tight tight tight!!!!

oooooooh yeah!! ::grunt::

there you go.

:D

mwah!

ROsalie

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:01:16 -0600
From: Laura Berry <laur...@hhsys.org>
Subject: bonnaroo??

Is anyone going to the ROO this year?

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:14:14 -0500
From: Cheryl Hanes <pb_...@hotmail.com>
Subject: :o)

HAPPY VAGINA DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oop, i mean valentine's day. hahaha, siily me :o)

/me steps on jasara's toes

and i would like to wish one crazy phunky, Todd Nathan ( =
ju...@nycap.rr.com ) a very HAPPY =
BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So everyone must fill up toddjuntanathan's inbox with birthday
greetings =
beore he gets home from work.
/me giggles insanely

enjoy your fridays kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
/me smooches her phunkies
-csky

http://sky.etree.org
db.etree.org/sky

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:10:42 -0800
From: Jasara Evangelist <jasaraev...@yahoo.com>
Subject: *Birthday to Announce!!*

Please join me in wishing

** Todd "junta" Nathan (ju...@nycap.rr.com) **

a VERY PHUNKY VALENTINE'S DAY BIRTHDAY!

Love,
Jasara
The Birthday Bitch

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:00:04 -0600
From: Adam Johnson <ajoh...@wallace.com>
Subject: I agree on one point...

I don't agree with a lot of things in Jack's post. However, there is
no
arguing this statement:

a good number of people owe their
freedom and existance to the US

I think this fact is often overlooked in debates on this list about US
foreign policy and how we, as a country, are viewed around the world.

Just my .02- Chicagoland AJ

PS- safe travels for all those heading out for tour stops today and
over the
weekend. See some of you in Vegas. Woot!
-----------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:40:34 +0000
From: "Andrew D." <greeng...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: history class

>From: jack <grim...@comcast.net>
>
>Sorry Natalie, but your argument is garbage. People hate Americans
>out of
>envy.

Looks like 'they' got to Jack too...

Andrew (so very sad) Datwyler

End of PHISH-WOMEN Digest - 13 Feb 2003 to 14 Feb 2003 - Special issue
(#2003-139)