ROH booking fiasco

1 view

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 5:31:08 AM3/1/05
So much for the Covent Garden online ticketing system. It crashed in an ugly
heap under the weight of demand the moment booking for Period 4 opened at
10:00, taking the entire ROH site with it. It is still inaccessible.
Somebody needs to sign the capex for more capacity or rethink the whole
thing.

Steve Silverman

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 5:37:17 AM3/1/05
No doubt it's the desperation to catch one of what may well be Domingo's
final performances in London.

Steve Silverman

donna...@brixton.fsworld.co.uk

Mar 1, 2005, 5:56:32 AM3/1/05
The big ticket agencies have the server capacity to deal with thousands
of simulraneous applications. Unfortunately they also rip off the
customer.

When I read that the Friends Online booking will be able to cope with
350 at once my immediate reaction was that I'm going to stick to paper
booking. But with a note of explanation of why.

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 6:32:29 AM3/1/05
From fiasco to farce. Having finally struggled to its feet for a few
minutes, the booking system allocated me excellent seats for Rigoletto, took
my credit card details and then suffered a relapse in the middle of
authorising the transaction. Needless to say, the site is once again
completely inaccessible.

Steve Silverman

donna...@brixton.fsworld.co.uk

Mar 1, 2005, 6:50:39 AM3/1/05
I'm thinking positive thoughts and sending smiley faces and chanting
magic mantras in your directions. {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

donna...@brixton.fsworld.co.uk

Mar 1, 2005, 6:51:44 AM3/1/05
And if all else fails, Google groups is currently advertising Tony
Bennett tickets...Hmm.

Stel...@altavista.net

Mar 1, 2005, 6:58:03 AM3/1/05

After queuing for two hours under the colonnades in this cold weather,
I gave up empty handed, as I had to go to work. I'm really fed up, only
well off people who can pay thousands into Friends scheme can really
get tickets to good performances.

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 6:58:55 AM3/1/05

<donna...@brixton.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in message

> And if all else fails, Google groups is currently advertising Tony
> Bennett tickets...Hmm.

Can he sing "Wintersturme"?

Steve Silverman

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 7:12:30 AM3/1/05
Hallelujah! Misison accomplished.

But what a waste of a morning.

Steve Silverman

REG

Mar 1, 2005, 7:16:40 AM3/1/05
Won't he be conducting there for many decades to come?

"Steve Silverman" <ssil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

REG

Mar 1, 2005, 7:17:53 AM3/1/05
Sounds as if it's a metaphor for EU economic policy.

"Steve Silverman" <ssil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

REG

Mar 1, 2005, 7:18:44 AM3/1/05
With or without transposition?

"Steve Silverman" <ssil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

hill.chr...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2005, 7:20:01 AM3/1/05

Steve Silverman wrote:
> Hallelujah! Misison accomplished.

You must have got lucky, I can't even get to the login page still.

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 7:22:50 AM3/1/05

"REG" <Rich...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Sounds as if it's a metaphor for EU economic policy.

I may have paid twice for the same tickets. Note my equanimity - that's what
comes of living under New Labour for the last seven years.

Steve Silverman

donna...@brixton.fsworld.co.uk

Mar 1, 2005, 7:25:05 AM3/1/05
Well done!

My partner said if I was a nice person I would offer one of my tickets
for sale. I laughed in his face and pointed out that I am not a nice
person

donna...@brixton.fsworld.co.uk

Mar 1, 2005, 7:27:10 AM3/1/05
Careful....

Jeffrey

Mar 1, 2005, 7:29:29 AM3/1/05

Ah, but think of the "Si! Vendetta".
--
Jeffrey says, "Ignorance is educable, stupidity is forever"

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 7:26:11 AM3/1/05

<hill.chr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> You must have got lucky, I can't even get to the login page still.

Perseverance. I have wasted nearly two and a half hours hitting reload on
the same page.

Steve Silverman

Jon E. Szostak, Sr.

Mar 1, 2005, 7:41:11 AM3/1/05
Only to Johnny Carson...guess he's out! Where's Engelbert Humperdinck when
you need him?
--
Jon E. Szostak, Sr.

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 7:46:14 AM3/1/05

"Jeffrey" <mer...@icon.co.za> wrote in message

> Ah, but think of the "Si! Vendetta".

Well, right now I can't imagine Hvorostovsky really having the engine to do
it full justice - but I love his voice, so what the hell.

Steve Silverman

hill.chr...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2005, 8:21:53 AM3/1/05
Yeah, got there in the end. I think I'm going to need a new F5 key on
my keyboard now though.

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 9:28:39 AM3/1/05

> Yeah, got there in the end. I think I'm going to need a new F5 key on
> my keyboard now though.

You're lucky. I need a new LCD screen. Or at least I will do once I've
removed the keyboard from it.

Steve Silverman

JHS

Mar 1, 2005, 5:00:32 PM3/1/05

> Hallelujah! Misison accomplished.
>
> But what a waste of a morning.
>
> Steve Silverman

I spent an hour buying a couple of tickets for the Fleming/Heppner Otello
this afternoon, and succeeded. Tonight I spent five minutes buying tickets
for the Bartoli Turk in Italy and for two performances of Rigoletto (one
with each cast) - and could sit where I wanted. I.e. in the Gods. The one
show I couldn't get tickets for was that Wagner thing with Domingo. A shame,
that, as it's the rest of the cast that fascinates me, not him.
Jonathan

Stel...@altavista.net

Mar 1, 2005, 5:05:44 PM3/1/05

In the end I managed to get the tickets I wanted by booking online
around 6pm. Good seats for the performance with Rigoletto/Villazon (I
got tickets to see both casts), mediocre seats for the others, no
Wagner/Domingo (alas).

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 6:02:44 PM3/1/05

<Stel...@altavista.net> wrote in message

> In the end I managed to get the tickets I wanted by booking online
> around 6pm. Good seats for the performance with Rigoletto/Villazon (I
> got tickets to see both casts), mediocre seats for the others, no
> Wagner/Domingo (alas).

I managed to get row C in the centre of the Amphitheatre for Rigoletto with
Villazon and Hvorostovsky. I also managed to get row A for Die Walkure -
probably because I was only after a single as my wife would rather chew her
leg off than sit through an evening of Wagner.

Steve Silverman

La Donna Mobile

Mar 1, 2005, 6:10:17 PM3/1/05

Steve Silverman wrote:
<Stel...@altavista.net> wrote in message

In the end I managed to get the tickets I wanted by booking online
around 6pm. Good seats for the performance with Rigoletto/Villazon (I
got tickets to see both casts), mediocre seats for the others, no
Wagner/Domingo (alas).

 I also managed to get row A for Die Walkure -

Can I lend you my camera?

--
http://www.madmusingsof.me.uk/weblog/
http://www.geraldine-curtis.me.uk/photoblog/

Steve Silverman

Mar 1, 2005, 6:15:28 PM3/1/05

"La Donna Mobile" <ladonn...@REMOVEbrixton.fsworld.co.uk> wrote in
message news:d02sop$g3f$1...@sparta.btinternet.com...

> Can I lend you my camera?

Only if you can explain why row A is cheaper than the rows immediately
behind.

Steve Silverman

La Donna Mobile

Mar 1, 2005, 7:09:13 PM3/1/05
I haven't a clue. There might be a legroom thing, I'm not sure, not needing much and anyway always appreciating not having anyone in front of me. I have had Row A a couple of  times and just loved it. But I remember years ago at the now defunct Free Trade Hall the front row balcony was cheaper than the second row. Maybe people feel self-conscious and exposed there. Or it takes longer to get out for the interval, unless you can do a quick dash into the slips.

I've got R and M for Walkure which are my worst seats for the rest of the season. But they're not bad.

Mitchell Kaufman

Mar 1, 2005, 11:01:29 PM3/1/05
Jon E. Szostak, Sr. <jszostaks...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Only to Johnny Carson...guess he's out! Where's Engelbert Humperdinck when
> you need him?

Busy writing Hänsel und Gretel.

MK

donna...@brixton.fsworld.co.uk

Mar 3, 2005, 8:16:41 AM3/3/05
The Guardian has an article Queue for the
Valkyries...http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1429574,00.html
"In conditions that would have Ranulph Fiennes screaming for nanny..."

Steve Silverman

Mar 3, 2005, 4:34:46 PM3/3/05

> The Guardian has an article Queue for the
> Valkyries...http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,11710,1429574,00.html
> "In conditions that would have Ranulph Fiennes screaming for nanny..."

That journalist needs to learn to use the Internet. Then he'll really know
what it is to suffer.

Steve Silverman

Chill

Mar 3, 2005, 6:28:26 PM3/3/05
> Only if you can explain why row A is cheaper than the rows
immediately
> behind.

> There might be a legroom thing, I'm not sure, not

> needing much and anyway always appreciating not having anyone in
front
> of me.

Definitley a leg room thing, I had Row A for Rheingold and had to sit
with my legs tucked under the seat. The benefits of having such great
seats were worth it though. And that's coming from someome who is
normally obsessed about leg room, to the extent that when I go to a
auditorium I've not been in before, I make a note of any rows that have
more leg room than others for future reference!