Operas set in Venice

Steve Alburty

Aug 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/24/97

I'm going to spending a month in Venice and am wanting to take along some
operas set in that incredible city. I'm fairly inexperienced (as far as
opera is concerned, anyway) and wonder if anyone can help me identify some
operas which are set in Venice ("Otello" is the only one I know of ...) and
some recommended recordings?

Steve
New York City

Enzo62

Aug 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/25/97

Steve wrote:

Actually, Verdi's Otello takes place entirely on the island of Cypress.
Granted, the characters' ties to Venice play an important role in the
action. However, Rossini's Otello DOES takes place in Venice.

Other operas or operettas set in Venice:

Death in Venice
A Night in Venice
Les Contes d'Hoffmann (one act, any way)
La Gioconda
Violanta

Enzo Bordello

pe...@deema.co.uk

Aug 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/25/97

"Steve Alburty" <alb...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'm going to spending a month in Venice ... and wonder if anyone can help me identify some

>operas which are set in Venice

>Steve
>New York City

One work set in Venice that many people may not know is Arthur
Benjamin's comic one-act opera "Prima Donna", first performed in
London in 1948, and since then "unaccountably neglected" according to
the omniscient "Grove" .

It just so happens that if anyone wants to hear it, Dee Major Opera
will be performing it in Conwy (North Wales) and Chester in September.

E-mail me for full performance details.

Peter Bates
pe...@deema.co.uk

Karen Mercedes

Aug 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/25/97

Since we're including Offenbach and Johann Strauss operettas in the list,
how can we exclude Gilbert & Sullivan's THE GONDOLIERS?

KM

Lis K. Froding

Aug 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/26/97

In article <5trqjc$8...@suriname.earthlink.net>,
"Steve Alburty" <alb...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>There are no record stores in Venice and the opera house burned down!
>Steve

No record stores????? You're kidding, right?

Lis

Kalliban

Aug 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/27/97

Telemachus wrote:

> In article <5tqt9v$1...@suriname.earthlink.net>, alb...@earthlink.net
> says...

> > I'm going to spending a month in Venice and am wanting to take along
> some
> >operas set in that incredible city. I'm fairly inexperienced (as far
> as

> >opera is concerned, anyway) and wonder if anyone can help me identify
> some

> >operas which are set in Venice ("Otello" is the only one I know of
> ...)
>

> One act (Giulietta) of Tales of Hoffman is set in Venice. But it is
> far from
> the Venice of Otello, being quite fanciful. It may indeed be closer to
> our
> dreams and perceptions of Venice, truly one of the world's most
> romantic of
> cities.

I have always found Venice to be romantic, but in a sinister and
vaguely threatening way. Perhaps Britten's Death in Venice would be a
more realistic picture of that fascinating city.Kalliban

daniel kessler

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

My vote goes for Britten's opera.

Richard Hartley

Jul 11, 2021, 10:24:57 PM7/11/21
On Thursday, August 28, 1997 at 5:00:00 PM UTC+10, daniel kessler wrote:
> My vote goes for Britten's opera.
La Gioconda

gggg gggg

Jul 22, 2021, 12:51:39 PM7/22/21
On Sunday, August 24, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Steve Alburty wrote:
> I'm going to spending a month in Venice and am wanting to take along some
> operas set in that incredible city. I'm fairly inexperienced (as far as
> opera is concerned, anyway) and wonder if anyone can help me identify some
> operas which are set in Venice ("Otello" is the only one I know of ...) and
> some recommended recordings?
> Steve
> New York City

Ever seen the movie SENSO?: