CyraNO

REG

May 13, 2005, 11:37:40 PM5/13/05
The MET mounted Alfano's Cyrano tonight, and dismounted almost as quickly.
It was not, in any way, a disaster for anyone, so long as mediocrity is not
a disaster, and in one instance I thought it a success. The great
performance, in my view, was Radvanovsky, a singer I've not really warmed to
before - a lovely voice, but rather boring, I thought- who was passionate
and moving as Roxane, and I think took a big step forward. The sound itself
has a real spin and throb,and listening to her was the great pleasure of the
evening. Domingo was ok - I say this without any axe to grind - but the
problem is that he is now just starting to sound old. There's no difficulty
with intonation, not a trace of wobble, whatever the range of the role he
completely encompasses it, and his French is as it's always been. But he's
just sounding worn....it begins to remind me of Sutherland's last outing at
the MET in the Leonoras. There were moments when he could summon a little
more tone quality, at the very end of the second act and again at the end of
the opera for a few moments, but the bronze quality which I always liked
seems long gone now, and if the sound is not going to be fresher in later
performances, he may be better off calling it a day rather than being
remembered for the husk of sound he seems to have now.

The opera itself is second or third rate verismo - and you're talking to
someone who likes Marguerita di Cortona a lot - but there's little invention
or melody other than the end of the second act, again., and in moments in
the final duet. It's just not a memorable score by any means. Dramatically,
the whole third act (the battle scene) seems totally unnecessary and too
expository too late in the opera. The staging, by Frank Zambello, is only
modestly incoherent - a triumph for her - but where she really lets you
down is the critical last scene between Roxane and Cyrano....nothing is
going on on stage, and so what should be moving is just kind of
claustrophobic and stagy. Surprisingly for MET premiers, the production team
wasn't booed at all, but in truth after the first obligatory round of bravos
for Domingo and SR at curtain fall, the audience seemed pretty
disinterested in the individual curtain calls, and there was little
excitement.

Not sure if different casting or different conducting would have helped, but
this was a rather long and uneventful evening....

premie...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 12:03:01 AM5/14/05
I was also at Cyrano tonight, and agree with pretty much everything REG
said.

Except I have always liked Radvanovsky, and agree that she was THE
outstanding singer on stage tonight. Domingo was adequate, and has
tremendous stamina for a tenor of his age, but there were the usual
transpositions galore, and I think he sang a couple of Ab's as his
highest note. As REG said, the burnished middle sound, which, believe
it or not I have always liked, is going, and quickly to judge by
tonight.

I thought the second half of the opera to be far superior to the first
half- maybe because Radvanovsky's big moments come in the second half.
A few times a really lush melody threatened to break out, but never
quite did for more than a few measures.

Michaels-Moore sounded voiceless to me; totally voiceless. I could
hardly believe my ears.

Interesting to have seen it, but, except for the great singing of
Radvanovsky, a bore. But- that great singing is really great.

The battle scene reminded me of a second rate Les Mis !!!!!!

Ed

Stephen Jay-Taylor

May 14, 2005, 12:14:28 AM5/14/05
O goody ! Heading to a theatre near me next year, scenery and singers
intact. Quel thrill ! Was it Levine ? ( not heading towards anything in the
unforrgiving UK anytime soon, I bet. Even the tea-rooms. Especially the
tearooms. Once bitten.......)

SJT, who thinks that if opera houses must stage long-dead verismo clunkers
periodically, they should do "La Fiamma", which is actually tremendous.

premie...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 12:23:09 AM5/14/05
Stephen Jay-Taylor May 14, 12:14 am show options

O goody ! Heading to a theatre near me next year, scenery and singers
intact. Quel thrill ! Was it Levine ?

No. Marco Armiliato. He seemed fine, though I knew not a note of this
music before tonight. It really seemed like a long opera, and it's not,
time wise. Just a bit boring. Enjoy it at a theater near you.

Ed

REG

May 14, 2005, 12:18:37 AM5/14/05
I can't believe you made the Les Mis analogy...it's exactly what I thought,
but then I thought I shouldn't say it....so much for tact...

<premie...@aol.com> wrote in message

premie...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 12:31:28 AM5/14/05
REG May 14, 12:18 am show options

I can't believe you made the Les Mis analogy...it's exactly what I
thought,
but then I thought I shouldn't say it....so much for tact...

Am I being accused of lack of tack??? Guess great minds work alike re
the Les Mis analogy!!!

Best,
Ed

REG

May 14, 2005, 12:30:14 AM5/14/05
Armiliato conducted.

And rather than Fiamma, I'd much rather Maria Egiziaca (?) on a double bill
with something else.

"Stephen Jay-Taylor" <sjayt...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Stephen Jay-Taylor

May 14, 2005, 12:53:54 AM5/14/05
"Guess great minds work alike re the Les Mis analogy!!!" ER

Or, as we say over here, "Fools seldom differ"

SJT, looking forward at least to Rad van Offsky's local début

LJO

May 14, 2005, 6:04:40 AM5/14/05

<premie...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Domingo was adequate, and has
> tremendous stamina for a tenor of his age, but there were the usual
> transpositions galore, and I think he sang a couple of Ab's as his
> highest note. >

In another thread you wrote: "I knew not a note of this music before
tonight." I'm curious how you were able to tell that there were
"transpositions galore". Did you bring a pitchpipe and a copy of the
unfamiliar score to the performance and test it on the fly? Or did you
record it and test it at home?

LJO

premie...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 11:02:10 AM5/14/05
LJO May 14, 6:04 am show options

<premiereop...@aol.com> wrote in message

LJO

Sorry, LJO, but I have a perfect, irrefutable answer for you.

About 6 weeks ago I had dinner with another cast member who showed me
the score. All the transposed pages were marked by a tab, and there
were many dozens of them.

Capisco???

Ed

LJO

May 14, 2005, 12:18:04 PM5/14/05

<premie...@aol.com> wrote in message

Capisco. I had ruled that avenue out due to your comment that you knew not a
note etc etc .
Thanks.
LJO

REG

May 14, 2005, 12:26:52 PM5/14/05
Where did you and Ed learn all that Italian? Is it easy to learn?

REG

"LJO" <seniorcu...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

premie...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 1:11:07 PM5/14/05
Where did you and Ed learn all that Italian? Is it easy to learn?

REG

Not at all. It's all done by association. When I want to think of the
word "capisco" I immediately think of Nabisco crackers, and voila!! (I
associate in French, too."

Best,
Ed

premie...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 1:13:12 PM5/14/05
Capisco. I had ruled that avenue out due to your comment that you knew
not a
note etc etc .
Thanks.
LJO

You're perfectly welcome, LJO. A buon giorno per te!

Auguri,

Edgardo di NYC

and...@comcast.net

May 14, 2005, 1:21:55 PM5/14/05

> Where did you and Ed learn all that Italian? Is it easy to learn?

"I associate in French, too."

> Best,
> Ed

With Chirac's approval? I know Giscard d'Estaing wouldn't.
St. André the Observer

alci...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 3:33:51 PM5/14/05
>All the transposed pages were marked by a tab, and there were many
dozens of them.<

Didn't Giordano prepare a mezzo version of FEDORA for Pederzini?
Massenet a baritone WERTHER for Battistini? (Hey! That rhymes!)
Strauss was willing to adjust SALOME for Rise Stevens. Blitzstein's
REGINA exists in versions for soprano, mezzo and contralto. Okay, all
those versions were prepared with the composer's involvment. Do we
know that Alfano was so rigid as to be against this sort of thing.
(I'll bet the guy was thrilled just to get his stuff done.) I
haven't seen the production yet (and intend to) but I wonder what
difference transpositions really make in a piece which A) no one really
knows all that well and B) nobody is claiming is a masterpiece and C)
is a vehicle dependent on a star personality.

LJO

May 14, 2005, 4:03:32 PM5/14/05

"REG" <Rich...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Where did you and Ed learn all that Italian? Is it easy to learn?
>
> REG

It's Bolognese, which is an entirely different language. Easy to learn if
you have ployglotesse.

Leonard Tillman

May 14, 2005, 4:33:42 PM5/14/05
StinkyShorts Bormann wants some:

>Bolognese

Shouldn't that be "Bormannese", Stink?

premie...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 4:59:53 PM5/14/05
Leonard Tillman May 14, 4:33 pm show options

StinkyShorts Bormann wants some:

>Bolognese

Shouldn't that be "Bormannese", Stink?

Why, pray tell, do you have to enter a perfectly friendly, informative,
and even humorous thread with the above? There is NO reason to do so. I
don't believe you were mentioned, or even suggested. Please, a little
restraint will go a long way.

Ed

Daniel Kessler

May 14, 2005, 5:26:56 PM5/14/05
I have to congradulate Reg on his title "CyraNO"...which says it all.

I was there last night and while I disliked the piece, the level of the
production was more than I would have expected -- modular units rolled onto
the stage for different scenes as well as other set changes so that it had
the look of a rather expensive production and one of the best things that
Zambello has done.

Its funny how the opera starts off rather well, the scene at the Hotel
Borgogne, then it quickly shifts into bombast!!! Musical climaxes are
rushed into no particular effect. Alfano does rather manage quite well in
the famous scene where Cyrano is wooking Roxanne for Christian.

Then, in Act III with the Battle of Arras, we are given an entirely
different tonal Debussy landscape with just a few ideas in that idiom that
soon become banalities. As you say, the scene in the battle of Arras seems
egregious and over long.

Although the opera was written in French, Alfano's tonal palette is foreign
to French opera -- heavy scoring for no particular effect when less could
be more. With French opera in general terms, there is always that
transparency in scoring which is one of its greatest attractions -- none of
that here, except in a few instances.

I'm sure that within a short time -- this work will soon find its way back
into an operatic dustbin.

Leonard Tillman

May 14, 2005, 5:35:44 PM5/14/05
Ed, FYI, the "bolognese" reference was to me.

Got it, now?

Leonard Tillman

LJO

May 14, 2005, 6:37:22 PM5/14/05

"Leonard Tillman" <tapef...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Ed, FYI, the "bolognese" reference was to me.
>
> Got it, now?
>
> Leonard Tillman

That would be "baloney", wouldn't it?

Leonard Tillman

May 14, 2005, 7:31:01 PM5/14/05
Bollman:

>That would be "baloney", wouldn't it?

It depends on where one shops.

Leonard Tillman

alanwa...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 8:26:09 PM5/14/05

I know this is probably an inane question but how did the orchestra get
on????

Assuming there was one, of course.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

Stephen Jay-Taylor

May 14, 2005, 9:40:02 PM5/14/05
"Strauss was willing to adjust SALOME for Rise Stevens."

Wherever did you hear such utter nonsense ? He was willing to reduce the
orchestration IF Elisabeth Schumann would consent to sing the role ( as a
soprano, ergo at score pitch.) But she wouldn't ; he didn't ; and I'd be
surprised if he'd ever even heard of Rise Stevens, who may have been a big
deal in Manhattan but was, and remains, entirely unknown in Europe.

SJT, zweiten Straussungeheuer

REG

May 14, 2005, 9:55:53 PM5/14/05
Alan, I can't tell. It was Armaliato who conducted, and they didn't fall
asleep, but I have no sense of how well they played, or how effortful it was
for them.

<alanwa...@aol.com> wrote in message

REG

May 14, 2005, 9:56:51 PM5/14/05
No, really, he was. The veils were going to be all by Chanel.

"Stephen Jay-Taylor" <sjayt...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Daniel Kessler

May 14, 2005, 10:06:32 PM5/14/05
sorry, but you don't know your facts!

Rise Stevens started her operatic career in Prague -- sang under Zemlinski
(among others) and became fluent in German. I used to work with Walter
Surovy, Rise's late husband. One day at the office we were talking and he
also told me that story about how Strauss said he would adapt a version of
"Salome" for Rise if she would sing it.

Walter was a young actor at the Vienna Burgtheater in those days when they
first met. Among other roles, Walter was Prince Hal in both Shakespeare Henry
plays.

Now there!

alanwa...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 10:20:31 PM5/14/05
It won't matter how it was for them. I wouldn't worry about it.
Sounds a bit like Traviata to me....not the voices, of course. Remind
me, one day, to repost a hilarious contribution on Percussive Arts
Society listing the best operas for reading books for my particular
section:):)

Just relieved that it was not electronic.

Stephen Jay-Taylor

May 14, 2005, 11:14:16 PM5/14/05
For reasons I won't go in to here, I'm exceedingly sceptical about all
singers' stories along the lines ; "But my dear, he so adored me he offered
to do a little puntatura to bring the role into line with my unique abilitiy
to sing it" Yeah, yeah, yeah. And of such stories told by singers' spouses
or significant others, safe out of the reach of either earshot or
contradiction, even moreso. Still, ludicrous as it strikes me - Stevens ever
the voice of "A sixteen year-old Isolde" ? Please ! - I'm e-mailing Garmisch
and the family for comment. Watch this space........

SJT, not volunteering his head for the salver just yet

Stephen Jay-Taylor

May 14, 2005, 11:42:14 PM5/14/05
"I know Giscard d'Estaing wouldn't." St. André the Observer

PUH !!! Quelle race dégénérée. Why would anyone want to associate with a
man called Valery ?

SJT, who's just thought of one, but won't mention it on a family NG

alci...@aol.com

May 14, 2005, 11:54:47 PM5/14/05
>Now there!<

Yeah, there!

In an OPERA NEWS cover story in the early 90s Stevens herself spoke of
Strauss' offer to rewrite SALOME for her. She didn't say whether she
turned him down or he later realized it was impractical, but she did
play Salome in an original opera the name and composer of which escapes
me, which premiered at La Scala -- not bad for someone who was
"entirely unknown in Europe" (there was a display on her at the Met
some seasons back which featured a photo of her in the role). Maybe
she was just telling tales (she never struck me as the sort who would
do that sort of thing or need to) but if so, she did it in print. She
also spoke of moving to Europe early in her career since it was so
difficult to get an important career started in the States -- something
which a lot of American singers did at the time. She apparantly had a
substantial European career before she came back to the States. As for
Strauss never having heard of her, she had sung Octavian in Europe in
several important houses during the 30s, some of them under Reiner I
believe.

premie...@aol.com

May 15, 2005, 12:25:40 AM5/15/05
Ed, FYI, the "bolognese" reference was to me.

Got it, now?

Leonard Tillman

I must admit I missed that, and whoever posted it is the one who broke
up a perfectly nice, non-offensive thread. Still, not responding once
in a while would not hurt! Still, I apologize for thinking it was you
who broke up the thread.

Ed

and...@comcast.net

May 15, 2005, 12:46:24 AM5/15/05
Mon Dieu, encore Albion Perfide qui parle.
Trois accents agiu dans un mot.
Tres distinguée, or was it Mistinguette.
One tires so easily of late.
St. André - fatigué

"Stephen Jay-Taylor" <sjayt...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Leonard Tillman

May 15, 2005, 1:41:20 AM5/15/05
Drekky le Pimp gets "religion::

>Mon Dieu (*&^%$#)(*&^%$#!!!!!

Your only "dieu" is the crud in your mouth.

Swallow it with some ground glass (as a chaser), please.

Leonard Tillman

May 15, 2005, 3:33:44 AM5/15/05
Ok, Ed. As to the "not responding" idea, - "not goading" would be even
neater.

Leonard Tillman

dtritter

May 15, 2005, 5:40:13 AM5/15/05
sjt appears to have had a somnolent last 75 years. but it is generous
of him to speak for an entire continent. it saves the cognoscenti from
speaking for themselves.

REG

May 15, 2005, 6:00:24 AM5/15/05
Wasn't Strauss, like Puccini, one of those artists who tried to curry favor
with lots of singers, all for the eventual advantage of his work? There are,
I believe, lots of instances of Strauss having called one or another soprano
his "favorite" singer in various roles, and it seems to me that the question
is whether or not, if he said it, he ever meant it. It seems entirely
possible that it reflected a certain kind of courtliness//flattery without
meaning anything more than that.

<alci...@aol.com> wrote in message

REG

May 15, 2005, 6:02:25 AM5/15/05
Not so much different than your speaking of South Africa the way you do, is
it, Dan?

"dtritter" <dtri...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

Sagittarius

May 15, 2005, 6:35:49 AM5/15/05

"dtritter" <dtri...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

> sjt appears to have had a somnolent last 75 years. but it is generous

> of him to speak for an entire continent. it saves the cognoscenti from
> speaking for themselves.

"Somnolent" seems to be the word-of-the-month. Perhaps its continuing usage
will take the pressure off "latrine", "crotte" and "leave us you smell".

Leonard Tillman

May 15, 2005, 9:57:44 AM5/15/05
SaggSwillVermin declares (to DFT), through and around a mouthful of
crotte:

>"Somnolent" seems to be the >word-of-the-month.

With you, "Feculent" seems to be the description-of-a-lifetime.

>Perhaps its continuing usage will take the
> pressure off "latrine", "crotte" and "leave us
> you smell".

Why? Since they, too, apply to you.

Leonard Tillman

dtritter

May 15, 2005, 12:12:14 PM5/15/05
in the case of the above intellectual vacuum, all remain applicable,
misusing sagittarius (sic?...is the illegitimate extra t for toilet bowl
ccontents?) instead of the double dosage of shit in the better employed
gemini.

does he think, like sjt, that rise stevens was and is unknown in all of
europe? if so, he's stupider than was previously apparent.

alci...@aol.com

May 15, 2005, 12:38:38 PM5/15/05
>It seems entirely possible that it reflected a certain kind of
courtliness//flattery without
meaning anything more than that.<

Very possible. There is Strauss' comment about Ursuleac that
everything he ever wrote seemed to have been written for her -- hard to
square with most of her recorded evidence (altho she obviously had a
certain intensity). Most authors just want to get their works
performed, and while SALOME was pretty successful from the get-go, in
the 30s it wasn't yet the classic it is now, so creating a second
edition of it wouldn't have seemed as unthinkable -- and it would have
been the author himself who did the tampering. Many Salomes of the
time were not exactly pin-up girls (many used a dance-double), and the
idea of a beautiful woman like Stevens in the part must have appealed
to Strauss. Mezzos with soprano aspirations have certainly tackled the
role in the past, but Stevens probably realized that even with some
*ossia*s the role would have been too much for her. The indication is
that the offer was made but not pursued by either party, so maybe it
WAS just an off-hand comment by the composer. But if Stevens had
agreed and an important conductor like Reiner had backed her up, I'll
betcha Strauss would have given it a shot.

REG

May 15, 2005, 12:52:23 PM5/15/05
The question I have, because I was thinking about it, was what Steven's Fach
was at the time of the interchange, and what kinds of compromises would have
had to be made. Do you have any information on when this conversation took
place?

Best

<alci...@aol.com> wrote in message

LJO

May 15, 2005, 1:56:01 PM5/15/05

"REG" <Rich...@hotmail.com> wrote

[Interesting review snipped]

> Not sure if different casting or different conducting would have helped,
> but
> this was a rather long and uneventful evening....

'Cyrano,' Gaining in the Translation

By JONATHAN YARDLEY

Wednesday, February 2, 2005

An occasional series in which The Post's book critic reconsiders notable
and/or neglected books from the past.

Sometime in the early 1950s, when I was in my early teens, the boarding
school at which I was being held against my will decided to amuse the
inmates by showing a movie one Saturday night. It was something called
"Cyrano de Bergerac," written by someone named Edmond Rostand, with someone
named Jose Ferrer in the title role. A film version of a French play? Ouch.
I went into the auditorium with all the enthusiasm of Robespierre
approaching the guillotine.

Two hours later I was a changed boy. "Cyrano" had knocked me off my feet,
and Ferrer had knocked me out of the park. I hadn't been to all that many
movies -- they weren't the obsession among the young that they are now -- so
my basis of comparison was narrow, but nothing since Laurence Olivier's
"Henry V," with its French sky blackened by English arrows, had so thrilled
and moved me. I bought the LP recording of the soundtrack, with Ferrer
declaiming the most stirring speeches, and soon after that I got my hands on
the Modern Library edition of "Cyrano," in Brian Hooker's incomparable
translation (the one used in the movie). The recording got lost somewhere
along the way in the half-century that followed, but the little book in its
faded red binding has been with me ever since.

These words are written the morning after an umpteenth viewing of Ferrer's
1950 film, in a print that shows its age but has lost none of its power to
rouse, move and amuse. Watching it after rereading the play for the first
time in many years, I was struck by how intelligently Carl Foreman had
adapted the Rostand/Hooker text for the screen: tightening it up, in
particular with regard to the comic relief provided by the poetic pastry
chef Ragueneau, keeping the focus at all times on Cyrano and his frustrated
love for the beautiful Roxane. A couple of years later Foreman was on the
blacklist, receiving no credit for his work on the screenplay of "The Bridge
on the River Kwai" and other films, but at the time he worked on "Cyrano" he
was at the top, and it shows.

But this isn't a movie review, it's a second look at the play itself, as
published rather than as performed. Many English translations are available,
including those by Christopher Fry and Anthony Burgess, but the Hooker
version is the one I grew up with, and reading any other (or watching a
performance by anyone other than Ferrer) is unthinkable to me. Hooker's
translation is available now only in the Bantam Classics edition, which
unfortunately does not include Clayton Hamilton's introduction to the
original 1923 version.

Unfortunately, that is, because Hamilton explains how Hooker's translation
came to be. He is little known now except, presumably, among scholars of the
theater, but in the first decades of the 20th century Hamilton was among
this country's most prominent and influential theater critics; his many
books include "The Theory of the Theater and Other Principles of Dramatic
Criticism" (1910), "Problems of the Playwright" (1917) and "So You're
Writing a Play" (1935). Most important to the subject at hand, he was
lifelong friends with the celebrated actor, theater manager and producer
Walter Hampden. As boys in the late 1890s they "used to squander the
after-midnight gas, reading and rereading the magic text of this entrancing
play," which had first been produced in Paris in 1897, and a quarter-century
later Hamilton persuaded Hampden to mount a production with a new English
translation, the existing ones failing to capture "the zest, the fire, the
spontaneity, the brilliancy, the lyric rapture of Rostand."

For this Hamilton turned to Hooker, a poet who is now as forgotten as
everyone else in this undertaking. Hamilton correctly writes "that Brian
Hooker has succeeded in a literary task of extraordinary difficulty, that he
has written a text which is both speakable and readable, and that he has
made the vivid spirit of Edmond Rostand accessible . . . to English-reading
lovers of belles-lettres who are not able to read French."

The "vivid spirit" to whom Hamilton refers was not yet 30 years old when his
famous play appeared. Born in Marseilles in 1868, Rostand grew up in
privileged circumstances that permitted him to indulge his love for writing.
He published poetry and had three plays produced before "Cyrano," but the
overwhelming success of his masterpiece seems to have immobilized him.
Nothing he wrote in the rest of his life came even close to "Cyrano" in
either literary or commercial terms, and at his death in Paris in 1918 he
seems to have been a frustrated and disappointed man.

Had it not been for Brian Hooker, it is possible that Rostand's great play
might have remained little more than a bewitching rumor in the
English-speaking world. Before his translation was presented on Broadway in
1923, with Hampden in the title role, only three productions of the play had
appeared in New York, and only one of these in (presumably bad) English. But
Hooker's "Cyrano" ran for 232 performances -- an exceptionally good run for
just about anything in translation -- and Hampden must have loved it,
because he appeared in four more productions between 1926 and 1936. Not
until 1946, when Ferrer played the role (and produced the show), did
Broadway see anyone else's "Cyrano."

As one of those "English-reading lovers of belles-lettres who are not able
to read French," I cannot testify with any authority to the accuracy and
fidelity of Hooker's translation, but the passion with which it was embraced
by Hamilton and Hampden, both of whom were fluent in French, leaves no doubt
that it captures the essence of Rostand. Written in blank verse, it is as
much a poem as a play. Indeed, in the most brilliant speeches -- Cyrano's
witty defense of his "great nose," his "No, I thank you!" declaration of
independence, the balcony scene when, in the guise of Christian de
Neuvillette, he professes his love for Roxane -- Hooker rises to heights of
romantic verse that few others have achieved in any language.

The play is set in France, Paris primarily, in the mid-17th century. As just
about everyone knows, Cyrano is a brave soldier, leader of the Cadets of
Gascoyne, a writer and poet of sublime gifts and accomplishments who
possesses every quality to which a man could aspire, except beauty: his long
nose ("a rock -- a crag -- a cape -- A cape? say rather, a peninsula!")
precedes him wherever he goes, and persuades him that for all his nobility
of heart and soul, he can never win the love of Roxane. Instead she tells
him of her love for Christian, and he agrees to help Christian win her by
writing, for him, the great romantic words that so enthrall her. Roxane and
Christian marry but he soon dies in battle. A decade and a half later
Cyrano, visiting Roxane in the convent to which she has repaired, himself
dies from wounds inflicted in an ambush, but not before inadvertently
confessing his love, to which Roxane replies in stunned sorrow, "I never
loved but one man in my life, And I have lost him -- twice."

Any number of excerpts could be published here for the benefit of readers
who do not know Hooker's "Cyrano," but I have chosen two of my favorites.
The first comes after Cyrano is derided by an aristocratic fop as "A clown
who -- look at him -- not even gloves! No ribbons -- no lace -- no buckles
on his shoes," to which Cyrano replies:

I carry my adornments on my soul.

I do not dress up like a popinjay;

But inwardly, I keep my daintiness.

I do not bear with me, by any chance,

An insult not yet washed away -- a conscience

Yellow with unpurged bile -- an honor frayed

To rags, a set of scruples badly worn.

I go caparisoned in gems unseen,

Trailing white plumes of freedom, garlanded

With my good name -- no figure of a man,

But a soul clothed in shining armor, hung

With deeds for decorations, twirling -- thus --

A bristling wit, and swinging at my side

Courage, and on the stones of this old town

Making the sharp truth ring, like golden spurs!

What language that is! "But inwardly, I keep my daintiness," "I go
caparisoned in gems unseen," "With deeds for decorations" -- it is difficult
to imagine that Rostand's original French could be more musical or evocative
than Hooker's English. Here it is again, in an extract from the "No thank
you!" speech, which follows Cyrano's friend Le Bret's plea that he "stop
trying to be Three Musketeers in one!" Cyrano asks:

What would you have me do?

Seek for the patronage of some great man,

And like a creeping vine on a tall tree

Crawl upward, where I cannot stand alone?

No thank you! Dedicate, as others do,

Poems to pawnbrokers? Be a buffoon

In the vile hope of teasing out a smile

On some cold face? No thank you! Eat a toad

For breakfast every morning? Make my knees

Callous, and cultivate a supple spine, --

Wear out my belly grovelling in the dust?

No thank you! . . . Shall I labor night and day

To build a reputation on one song,

And never write another? Shall I find

True genius only among Geniuses,

Palpitate over little paragraphs,

And struggle to insinuate my name

In the columns of the Mercury?

No thank you! Calculate, scheme, be afraid,

Love more to make a visit than a poem,

Seek introductions, favors, influences? --

No thank you! No, I thank you! And again

I thank you!

Is there, anywhere in any language, a more devastating repudiation of
toadying and apple-polishing than that? In this city, where those practices
have been raised to something approximating high art, every word of that
speech should be posted on every office wall on K Street and Capitol Hill,
not to mention the White House. With eloquence that almost literally takes
the breath away, Rostand/Hooker constructs a great avalanche of words, each
one of them exactly right, each target hit dead center.

Cyrano the man and "Cyrano" the play are romantic to the core: romantic in
the grand manner rather than in the simpering Hollywood style. Romance on
such a scale has long been out of literary fashion, with the result that
many self-appointed arbiters of literary and cultural fashion look down
their own (very short) noses at "Cyrano." The last word belongs to Clayton
Hamilton:

"This gallant play is still as thrillingly alive as it was in 1898. Rostand
was like Shakespeare in one respect at least; for he wrote 'not of an age
but for all time.' It is only the realists, who write about contemporary
manners and contemporary morals, who grow speedily old-fashioned: the
romantics, who escape from their own period, remain forever young and
forever new."

Brian Hooker's translation of Edmond Rostand's "Cyrano de Bergerac" is
available in a Bantam Classics paperback ($4.95).

______________________________

Thanks to Jonathan Yardley and The Washington Post

alci...@aol.com

May 15, 2005, 2:01:01 PM5/15/05
>The question I have etc.<

Ack! I wish you had asked me a year ago, because I had that issue
hanging around for years but finally tossed it, fearing that my little
hovel was turning going to wind up like the library at Alexandria. As
I recall, it was during her pre-Met years in Germany, Austria and
Prague. What I know of her voice at that time, it was a high-placed
mezzo, not as deep as it later became. I tend to think the whole
"fach" concept wasn't quite as rigid and scarey for singers as it is
now -- if you could sing a role, you sang it. I believe she also had
the Composer in her rep, as well as Octavian, and of course both those
roles (as well as Cherubino) were sung as often by sopranos as by
mezzos. I think it was only when complete recordings were readily
available that conceptions of these roles (like Charlotte in WERTHER)
became so fixed. In her younger days Stevens sounded like she could
comfortably handle certain "zwischenfach" parts like MIGNON, which was
one of her specialties.

Sagittarius

May 15, 2005, 2:28:09 PM5/15/05

> in the case of the above intellectual vacuum, all remain applicable,
> misusing sagittarius (sic?...is the illegitimate extra t for toilet bowl
> ccontents?)

As you were previously advised, Squitter, stick to what you know best,
latrines, toilet bowls and the contents thereof, and leave spelling alone.
It seems that every time you try to correct someone, you expose your own
alarming stupidity and ignorance.

REG

May 15, 2005, 2:26:04 PM5/15/05
I asked because I wondered how much of a transposition or pointing there
really would have had to be, or if it was a question of orchestration. Grace
handled the role well in her soprano days (although I seem to remember a MET
production where she seemed to be wearing a bra, or perhaps an ample bikini,
in the Dance), and I wasn't exactly sure whether Strauss' comment went to
the tessitura in a general way (like changing Jongleur), a couple of
passages, or rather the sense that the orchestration would have defeated a
fundamentally beautiful, soft-grained voice...which is still exceptionally
beautiful as a speaking voice, if you ask me.

I think there were beautiful Salomes before this incident....wasn't Cebatori
one? Certainly Ljuba was before she ate the head and all the rest.

If the discussion gets too boring, maybe we could throw some ad hominen
insults at each other....that would prove a lot.

Best
REG

<alci...@aol.com> wrote in message

Terry Ellsworth

May 15, 2005, 2:39:32 PM5/15/05
I don't know what Europe you're referring to but to refer to Rise
Stevens -- one of the great operatic stars of the mid-20th century --
as "entirely unknown in Europe" is absolutely ridiculous or stupid or
ignorant or all three.

Talk about Euro-centric neanderthals.

Terry Ellsworth

Ortrud