Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

Mary Mills

Visto 3 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

James M. Cate

no leída,
16 abr 2000, 3:00:0016/4/00
Well, I'm back. Sorry to disappoint some of you.--

During my absence from the ng, I attended the last in a series of
performances of Carmen by the Opera Bastille in Paris during a recent
vacation trip, and I was particularly impressed by the performance of the
young soprano, Mary Mills, who played the part of Micaela. She has a
beautiful, beautiful lyric soprano voice, easily heard throughout the hall
yet never forced, and the audience reaction to her performance was so
enthusiastic as to be somewhat embarrassing to the other leads. - Has
anyone on the ng heard her, and if so, what was your opinion?

The production as a whole was also consistently good, IMO, with Olga
Borodina as Carmen, Gosta Winbergh as Don Jose, and Jean-Luc Chaignaud as
Escamillo. Mr. Winbergh is rather portly these days and would have been
more believable as a retired general rather than a young corporal, but his
performance was excellent. Ms. Borodina was also outstanding. There were
some interesting staging effects. - In the hauntingly beautiful card scene
in the first part of the third act, Carmen's reading of the cards and her
aria fortelling "la mort, la mort" was sung as a group of chorus members
in costumes representing the cards and wearing hideous death masks stood
behind her in a semi-circle. As she sang the tragic death aria, they
slowly advanced toward her, emphasizing the theme.- Hard to describe, but
the effect was eerily effective. I also thought that the facilities and
the acoustics of the Bastille were great. - Excerpts from the libretto
were displayed in French above the stage.

All in all, this was one of those memorable opera experiences that I will
always treasure.

Jim Cate

skip

no leída,
16 abr 2000, 3:00:0016/4/00
*Yawn* Hopefully you learned something about singing and talent......

Jon Davis

no leída,
16 abr 2000, 3:00:0016/4/00
>Has
>anyone on the ng heard her, and if so, what was your opinion?

Mary Mills appeared in the PBS telecast of Susa's DANGEROUS LIAISONS in the
role of Cecile, and also sang Camille in the Wexford Opera production of
Herold's ZAMPA in 1993. Bright, attractive soubrette type of voice that I
found quite charming.

Jon Davis
Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot either.

paolo

no leída,
16 abr 2000, 3:00:0016/4/00
I've heard and been impressed by Ms. Mills several times in "The Cunning
Little Vixen" and as Micaela to Ms. Graves' Carmen. If I remember correctly
she also was von Stade's "neice" in the telecast of "The Dangerous Liasons."
She is indeed a pert, delightful singer with a lovely, well-focused lyric
voice and it does carry well through the house.

p.

Matthew B. Tepper

no leída,
16 abr 2000, 3:00:0016/4/00
Jon Davis wrote:

> Mary Mills appeared in the PBS telecast of Susa's DANGEROUS LIAISONS in
> the role of Cecile, and also sang Camille in the Wexford Opera
> production of Herold's ZAMPA in 1993. Bright, attractive soubrette
> type of voice that I found quite charming.

Does she look really, really young?

"Compassionate Conservatism?" * "Tight Slacks?" * "Jumbo Shrimp?"

James M. Cate

no leída,
17 abr 2000, 3:00:0017/4/00

"Matthew B. Tepper" wrote:

> Jon Davis wrote:
> >
> > Mary Mills appeared in the PBS telecast of Susa's DANGEROUS LIAISONS in
> > the role of Cecile, and also sang Camille in the Wexford Opera
> > production of Herold's ZAMPA in 1993. Bright, attractive soubrette
> > type of voice that I found quite charming.
>
> Does she look really, really young?

No, not really, really young. - Still, you can't have everything, Matthew.

Jim

Andre Edouard

no leída,
17 abr 2000, 3:00:0017/4/00
Why Cate,
Here "we" are again. Where is the "murder letter" you've accused me of
writing?
Europe has breathed a sigh of relief, but look at the stock market since
your return.
Probably serching for a "murder letter."
AE

James M. Cate

no leída,
17 abr 2000, 3:00:0017/4/00

Andre Edouard wrote:

> Why Cate,
> Here "we" are again. Where is the "murder letter" you've accused me of
> writing?

__________________________________________-----

Andre,

I have been off the newsgroup for several weeks, so you will have to
refresh my memory. -- When did I post a note stating that you had posted a
"murder letter" on the newsgroup? When did I say that I had read a "murder
letter" posted by you or anyone else? When did I say that I thought you were
literally threatening to murder anyone?? .

Please help me out on this, Andre.

Jim

si...@webtv.net

no leída,
17 abr 2000, 3:00:0017/4/00
My God, Andre, he's back and still playing the same old tired, boring
games. you'll never get an answer from him, you know: he's been
sidestepping and tap-dancing me around for over 6 months now without
ever answering my questions. I love it when he, (when confronted)
promises to answer when he has time:so far, he's promised 4 times and I
still haven't got his oh so substantive answers. Oh well, what can one
expect from a noveau riche I want to buy me some class type of troll.
Good thing hardly anybody takes him seriously anymore. John

Andre Edouard

no leída,
17 abr 2000, 3:00:0017/4/00
My apologies to all concerned for forwarding the following to Cate's e-mail. I'll try to get it right this time.
    "Notice how Cate's demeanor changes when he needs something....Please, it's enough to make a grown man cry. But, not this one.
    I told you more than once Cate, you were hoisted on your own petard.
    Hang there and spin, slowly.
    Produce the "murder letter" or an apology.
Andre Edouard"

That was the message e-mailed to Cate in error. Won't happen again.

James M. Cate

no leída,
18 abr 2000, 3:00:0018/4/00

si...@webtv.net wrote:

__________________________

John, what, exactly, would you like me to answer. You have to be a little
more specific than that.

Jim

James M. Cate

no leída,
18 abr 2000, 3:00:0018/4/00

Jon Davis wrote:

> >Has
> >anyone on the ng heard her, and if so, what was your opinion?
>

> Mary Mills appeared in the PBS telecast of Susa's DANGEROUS LIAISONS in the
> role of Cecile, and also sang Camille in the Wexford Opera production of
> Herold's ZAMPA in 1993. Bright, attractive soubrette type of voice that I
> found quite charming.
>

> Jon Davis
> Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot either.

The series was sold out, and we arrived at our hotel in Paris only an hour or
so before the last performance. However, I prepared a small sign - "je
voudrais un billet" - and rushed over to the Bastille, arriving only a few
minutes before the performance began. It took only a few minutes to find
someone who wanted to sell his ticket, and I got a great seat, toward the front
of the orchestra. For what it's worth, this appeared to be a common and
accepted practice. - There seemed to be quite a few near the front doors trying
to sell their unwanted tickets.

Jim

si...@webtv.net

no leída,
18 abr 2000, 3:00:0018/4/00
Jimsy, shove the coy and innocent shit up your ass sideways. I'll not
play your sick and twisted mind games with you another time- I gave you
the benefit of the doubt 4 times (total schmuck that I am) and will not
be played for a fool by you again. Please don't bother posting to me
again-please feel free to play your games with yourself. John

James M. Cate

no leída,
19 abr 2000, 3:00:0019/4/00

si...@webtv.net wrote:

_________________________________

What in the world are you talking about, John Boy? You obviously have some
serious problems, but please don't blame them on me or anyone else. All I
did was to ask you to put up or shut up. Obviously, you can't do either.

Jim

Andre Edouard

no leída,
19 abr 2000, 3:00:0019/4/00
Same old shit, Cate. Leave your betters alone. He has you by the
figurative balls, you can't obfuscate, slither, or try to do a "180" out of it.

In the words of one bard or another, you're fucked eight ways from Sunday.

Hoisted by your own hand, you should have kept notes, no wonder you're not
a trial
attorney.
Andre

James M. Cate wrote:

> si...@webtv.net wrote:
>
> > Jimsy, shove the coy and innocent shit up your ass sideways. I'll not
> > play your sick and twisted mind games with you another time- I gave you
> > the benefit of the doubt 4 times (total schmuck that I am) and will not
> > be played for a fool by you again. Please don't bother posting to me
> > again-please feel free to play your games with yourself. John

> <snipped in the interests of the common good>

0 mensajes nuevos