Tosca Tebaldi Tucker

samnat

Nov 3, 2006, 2:46:13 AM11/3/06
I see in some of the British cd sellers' websites that the famous
Mitropolous TOSCA with Tebaldi, Tucker and Warren is currently
available on two labels. The Myto one is selling for about $30 US, and
one from the Andromeda label costs about 12 US dollars. The obvious
question is: Is the Myto worth the extra money? Has any one of you
heard either of these re-issues? If not, can anyone tell me what the
Andromeda label is like generally? Is it reliable, or is it more like
Regis or Opera d'Oro, where you never know what you're getting? I
know this performace is available in good sound; I used to have it on
LP.

Thanks for your advice. S. N.

sefano

Nov 3, 2006, 9:52:51 AM11/3/06
This really is an incredible performance, a jewel in any serious opera
lover's collection. The Myto recording is fine, but Myto tends to be
pricey. Never heard of Andromedea, but many labels have appeared and
disappeared over the years. There is little doubt that this legendary
performance will be re-broadcast by Sirius with possibly better sound
than all the recordings currently on the market. It might make sense
to wait a bit, but you certainly will not be disappointed with the Myto
set.

Best wishes,

Frank Adler

Message has been deleted

Rhett,the butler

Nov 3, 2006, 11:23:52 AM11/3/06

*

wkas...@comcast.net

Nov 3, 2006, 11:37:37 AM11/3/06

david...@aol.com wrote:

> Your odds are much better with Myto, one of the very most reliable
> sources of such material,

I agree with David about Myto in general. The only times I've heard
superior transfers is when another label manages to come up with a
better source, usually an "official" one, such as the 1952 Bayreuth
Tristan on Orfeo d'Or, or the Kubelik Meistersinger on Calig and/or
Arts Music. And even in these cases, Myto's sound is quite good.

Bill

Mitchell Kaufman

Nov 3, 2006, 12:31:58 PM11/3/06
wkas...@comcast.net <wkas...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I agree with David about Myto in general. The only times I've heard
> superior transfers is when another label manages to come up with a
> better source, usually an "official" one, such as the 1952 Bayreuth
> Tristan on Orfeo d'Or, or the Kubelik Meistersinger on Calig and/or
> Arts Music. And even in these cases, Myto's sound is quite good.

I tend to agree about Myto generally-speaking, but in this case I have
the Andromeda, and it sounds superb. Buy with confidence.

MK

Message has been deleted

aest...@hotmail.com

Nov 3, 2006, 1:13:42 PM11/3/06

On lp, I think it came out as part of a series of velvet box sets
issued by the MET.

I also saw a highlights single lp which had a whitish cover which I
think came from Italy.

REG

Nov 7, 2006, 11:29:01 PM11/7/06
If you like this, you might try being a brave soul (and that's what it
takes) and listen to Tebaldi's Tosca from 1954 from Buenos Aires ( I think).
The sound is tough, but it is perhaps the greatest sound of a woman's
singing voice (operatic) known to me on a full opera recording.

"sefano" <adl...@msn.com> wrote in message

gggg gggg

Sep 7, 2022, 4:11:17 AM9/7/22
Gramophone magazine recently proclaimed Tebaldi's studio stereo TOSCA as the best recording of that opera.