Anneliese Rothenberger?

Jeff

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
What do you guys think of this singer? Our local used record store
has several opera recordings featuring this singer and I am tempted to
buy them because of the low prices. Rasponi's "The Last Prima Donnas"
only mentioned her once, and did not give any details about her voice
and overall singing. What repertory is she particularly known for
(Mozart? Strauss? Verdi?)? Thanks.

Jeff

David Shengold

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00

Very musical, apparently very good onstage ( you can see her Sophie in the
ROSENKAVALIER film with Dr. Doom)- a major TV personality in Germany!

She was known for Mozart, both Strausses and the lighter German fare-
things like Lortzing. She is exceptionally good as Zdenka in ARABELLA. I am
fond of her Konstanze in ENTFUEHRUNG though one wants more tone and grandeur
than she has at her disposal. Here, and in her not-steady-enough Pamina
(opposite the sensational Moll and Moser) Rothenberger shows how marvelous
she is at spoken dialogue. The Rosalinde is also a lot of fun.

Don't expect a Steber-quality instrument, but she is certainly worth getting
to know.

-David Shengold

dtritter

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
to David Shengold
the fabled sisters, eleanor steber and hilde gueden in the met's furst
arabella performances was succeeded by lisa della casa and anneliese
rothenberger. though the first two were vastly greater singers,
undeniably there have rarely if ever been two better matched exponents
of arabella and little sister zdenka. their rendition of the "der
richtige" duet was sheer enchantment. rothenberger had a wonderful
success but was rarely heard here afterward. i don't think that she was
underappreciated by bing, but either a) there was little to offer her in
a then-repertoire topheavy in italian works, and/or b) she was a huge
star in munich and vienna and could have have her own way with
roles/fees. it was a silvery voice, bright, flexible and large enough to
fill any house, though hardly the dramatic sound wanted for constanze.
in the other direction, she was enchanting in operetta, as her many
recordings in the genre demonstrate [illustrative of how wrongheaded the
current met excursion into lehar has been]. she was a very attractive
stage figure as well.

dft

Oisk17

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
Rothenberger was the acknowledged queen of Viennese operetta after Schwarzkopf.
She recorded Wienerblut, Grafin Mariza, Csardasfurstin, Land des Lachelns,
Fledermaus, and Eine Nacht in Venedig, among others, all with Gedda. These are
all very good, IMO, and well worth having if you like the genre. Schwarzkopf
recorded Land des Lachelns with Gedda as well, and I think that Rothenberger
holds up very well when the two versions are compared.

Regards,

Paul

General Tso

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
Rothenberger is one of those voices with a "face", a bit like Beverly Sills, a
bit unsteady, recorded a bit late, but with loads of personality ( and in a
repertoire that doesn't foster personality! ). I wouldn't be without her Pamina
or Rosalinde, and some of her Lieder LP's were mighty fine.
-------------------
General Tso
Principessa di sangue... Principessa di Jell-o

Hot3rd

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
I also have a recording of a German language Barber of Seville, recorded late
in her career, and still excellent. Personality coupled with virtuosity. In the
right repertoire to be highly highly recommeded.

frl_...@my-deja.com

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
I would also like to plead strongly for Rothenberger. In Europe,
especially in germany, her reputation is not the best. She is seen as a
popular tv-star, but not as a singer of world's elite, because at the
early end of her carreer she made tv-shows and such. I think she was a
very good singer with a not too big, but nice, silvery voice and a
marvellous technique. There existes a Lulu with Rothenberger, and even
if her voice seems to small for the role, her perfomance shows aspects
that are missed in other performances. Personally I love also her way to
sing Strauss' Four Las

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

CTB

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00

"Oisk17" wrote :

In 1955 when I was 19 I was studying voice in Heidelberg with Frau Erika
Buchmann. One of her other students was the delightful Liesl Rothenberger
with whom I fell hopelessly in love. Alas, Liesl's heart belonged at the
time to another tenor, one Fritz Wunderlich, and so we never frolicked
amongst the marigolds (except in my mind). She was a splendid singer and
quite a babe.
CTB

Henrique

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
I love her recording of Martha with Gedda

Henrique
<frl_...@my-deja.com> escreveu nas notícias de
mensagem:8cmvob$hs$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

Henny

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
There existes a Lulu with Rothenberger...

Aha! Was it not she who sang Lulu with the Hamburg Opera at the Met
around 1967? Impressive, if memory serves, and lovely to look at.

frl_...@my-deja.com

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
In article <039625f0...@usw-ex0107-049.remarq.com>,

Henny <willshu...@gateway.net.invalid> wrote:
> There existes a Lulu with Rothenberger...
>
> Aha! Was it not she who sang Lulu with the Hamburg Opera at the Met
> around 1967? Impressive, if memory serves, and lovely to look at.

You are right! It was in summer 1967, when the Hamburgische Staatsoper
was at the Met with Freischütz and Lulu. Rothenberger had very good
reviews for her Lulu in New York Times, New York Post etc. You have seen
it? Me not, because I was just one year old then... To judge only from
the record, I would not say that Rothenberger was a "genuine" Lulu, but
all in all, sound, view, acting, must have resulted in an outstandig
performance for those who have se

Oisk17

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
>In 1955 when I was 19 I was studying voice in Heidelberg with Frau Erika
>Buchmann. One of her other students was the delightful Liesl Rothenberger
>with whom I fell hopelessly in love.

Ah, Mr. Bollman, I envy you...tis better to have loved and lost...I would have
loved to have seen Ms. Rothenberger in a live performance, especially in an
operetta.

Regards,

Paul

Edward A. Cowan

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
<frl_...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> In article <039625f0...@usw-ex0107-049.remarq.com>,
> Henny <willshu...@gateway.net.invalid> wrote:
> > There existes a Lulu with Rothenberger...
> >
> > Aha! Was it not she who sang Lulu with the Hamburg Opera at the Met
> > around 1967? Impressive, if memory serves, and lovely to look at.
> >
> You are right! It was in summer 1967, when the Hamburgische Staatsoper
> was at the Met with Freischütz and Lulu. Rothenberger had very good
> reviews for her Lulu in New York Times, New York Post etc.

I, too, saw that Hamburg _Lulu_ at the Met in the summer of 1967. This
was a fine performance albeit in the still uncompleted version. (Two
acts only.) I last heard Rothenberger sing duets with Fischer-Dieskau
and the Phila. Orch., cond. Daniel Barenboim, in January, 1971. One of
these items has found its way into the 10-CD centennial set issued
recently by the Philadelphia Orchestra itself. Rothenberger was a fine
singer indeed.

-- E.A.C.

Jeff

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
On Fri, 07 Apr 2000 11:56:24 -0400, David Shengold
<shen...@pobox.upenn.edu> wrote:

>Very musical, apparently very good onstage ( you can see her Sophie in the
>ROSENKAVALIER film with Dr. Doom)- a major TV personality in Germany!
>
>She was known for Mozart, both Strausses and the lighter German fare-
>things like Lortzing. She is exceptionally good as Zdenka in ARABELLA. I am
>fond of her Konstanze in ENTFUEHRUNG though one wants more tone and grandeur
>than she has at her disposal. Here, and in her not-steady-enough Pamina
>(opposite the sensational Moll and Moser) Rothenberger shows how marvelous
>she is at spoken dialogue. The Rosalinde is also a lot of fun.
>
>Don't expect a Steber-quality instrument, but she is certainly worth getting
>to know.
>
>-David Shengold

Thanks for all the recommendations and info guys. I went out and
bought the Arabella with Della Casa, DFD, et al and the Entfuhrung
with Gedda, Popp, et al.

Jeff

Andre Edouard

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
If I'm not mistaken, no guarantees, the lovely Rothenberger made a number of
operetta highlights recordings in german, with Wunderlich.
I don't remember the labels, nor names for that matter, but I do recall
seeing a ton of them, all in german.
Given the popularity of both artists, I'd be surprised if they weren't on
CD. But, I've been surprised before.
Andre

Howard Slenk

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
If I may add my fond memories to all the previous raves, I will briefly
recall the wonderful performances I attended during a week spent in
Hamburg in the
spring of 72. I saw Magic Flute, Marriage of Figaro, and Arabella, all
three of them with Anneliese Rothenberger (Susanna in Figaro). She was a
splendid personality on the stage and sang beautifully. I was
enchanted. I have forgotten the names of most of the casts (not Hans
Sotin or Tom Kraus, however, who were magnificent as Sarastro and the
Count) but will always remember AR.

Howard Slenk

Message has been deleted

gggg...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2019, 9:20:46 PM7/31/19
I like her lieder recordings, too, but the tempi are on the fast side.

gggg...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2019, 11:08:18 PM7/31/19

wkasimer

Aug 1, 2019, 12:11:49 PM8/1/19
On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 9:20:46 PM UTC-4, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:

> I like her lieder recordings, too, but the tempi are on the fast side.

They can't be very fast if it took you 19 years to respond.

Gerda Herder

Oct 7, 2019, 5:26:38 AM10/7/19
On Friday, April 7, 2000 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+2, Jeff wrote:
> What do you guys think of this singer? Our local used record store
> has several opera recordings featuring this singer and I am tempted to
> buy them because of the low prices. Rasponi's "The Last Prima Donnas"
> only mentioned her once, and did not give any details about her voice
> and overall singing. What repertory is she particularly known for
> (Mozart? Strauss? Verdi?)? Thanks.
>
> Jeff

I think she would be too old-fashioned by now

gregory...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2019, 6:30:15 PM10/20/19

Jeff,

Anneliese Rothenberger was a wonderful singer with a beautiful timbre. She was very attractive. The voice was a high lyric coloratura. One of my favorite Sophies in DER ROSENKAVALIER (Helen Donath and Judith Blegan are other favorites in this role), and she's a lovely Zdenka opposite Lisa della Casa on the Solti recording. I love her operetta recordings, where she displays a special quality that most operetta sopranos miss (Hilde Gueden was also outstanding in this genre).She is a charming Gretel opposite Irmgarad Seefried's adorable Hansel in the Cluyten's EMI recording. David Shengold below is correct that she's a bit too mature as Pamina in her EMI recording and the voice is a tad bit small for Konstanze (it was also not as fluid). She also made a fine Lulu, a surprising role for her. She recorded a ton for Electrola in Germany, where she was a big star and hosted her own TV show. Her career was a long one. I remember a late-in-the-day recording of Strauss' Four Last Songs (with Andre Previn conducting), but I never heard it. I don't think Rothenberger recorded much lieder if any at all.
Message has been deleted

gggg...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2019, 10:42:55 PM10/20/19
She recorded lots o lieder. She recorded Brahms' "Ziguener Lieder" twice.

Wagner was the only thing she didn't record.
Message has been deleted

gggg...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2019, 12:00:12 AM10/21/19

gregory...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2019, 4:39:06 PM10/21/19
On Friday, April 7, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jeff wrote:
> What do you guys think of this singer? Our local used record store
> has several opera recordings featuring this singer and I am tempted to
> buy them because of the low prices. Rasponi's "The Last Prima Donnas"
> only mentioned her once, and did not give any details about her voice
> and overall singing. What repertory is she particularly known for
> (Mozart? Strauss? Verdi?)? Thanks.
>
> Jeff

Sorry, still getting used to this sight. I made a dumb error by saying I didn't think Anneliese Rothenberger didn't record much lieder if at all. Boy do I feel stupid. I should have gone right over to YouTube, where there is a pretty large selection of this soprano's lieder work, including the Andre Previn FOUR LAST SONGS. Recorded when she was 50, it's a more than competitive performance. Certainly in my top five or six. Because she is taking it on in her very late prime, there's certainly some age in the voice (it doesn't help that she is very closely miked). But there is no technical challenge in these songs that she cannot handle, and she's well-supported by Previn and the orchestra. So I'm very happy to hear this finally. It was recorded around 1974. I think at the time, I only had Gundula Janowtiz's classic DG performance with Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic. Since then I've acquired Flagastad, della Casa, Steber, Price, Popp, Te Kanawa, Margaret Price, Karita Mattila, Anna Tomowa-Sintow, Jessye Norman, Jurinac, Bonney, Fleming, Netrebko and so many others. But back to lieder. I shall enthusiastically dip into Youtube's huge trove of Rothenberger's many lieder recordings. My apologies to the lady.

gggg...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2020, 8:53:23 PM9/19/20
On Friday, April 7, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jeff wrote:
> What do you guys think of this singer? Our local used record store
> has several opera recordings featuring this singer and I am tempted to
> buy them because of the low prices. Rasponi's "The Last Prima Donnas"
> only mentioned her once, and did not give any details about her voice
> and overall singing. What repertory is she particularly known for
> (Mozart? Strauss? Verdi?)? Thanks.
>
> Jeff

(Recent Youtube upload):

Anneliese Rothenberger "Bin ich im Wald" Das Christelflein

gggg...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2020, 8:52:48 PM9/25/20
(Recent Youtube upload):

Duett mit Anneliese Rothenberger und Bela Erny

gggg gggg

Feb 4, 2021, 11:42:20 AM2/4/21
On Friday, April 7, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jeff wrote:
> What do you guys think of this singer? Our local used record store
> has several opera recordings featuring this singer and I am tempted to
> buy them because of the low prices. Rasponi's "The Last Prima Donnas"
> only mentioned her once, and did not give any details about her voice
> and overall singing. What repertory is she particularly known for
> (Mozart? Strauss? Verdi?)? Thanks.
> Jeff

(Youtube upload):

Anneliese Rothenberger - Portrait 1982

gggg gggg

Sep 27, 2022, 1:04:59 PM9/27/22
On Friday, April 7, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jeff wrote:
> What do you guys think of this singer? Our local used record store
> has several opera recordings featuring this singer and I am tempted to
> buy them because of the low prices. Rasponi's "The Last Prima Donnas"
> only mentioned her once, and did not give any details about her voice
> and overall singing. What repertory is she particularly known for
> (Mozart? Strauss? Verdi?)? Thanks.
> Jeff

If you like lieder....

(2022 Youtube upload):

"ANNELIESE ROTHENBERGER SINGT LIEDER VON...GOD, BLESS UKRAINE!"

gggg gggg

Oct 21, 2022, 12:02:12 PM10/21/22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLkhZRrgXc&t=3s