Victoria Vergara

Lis K. Froding

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

That's a name I hadn't seen in a long time until Dan Kessler mentioned
her in a Troyanos context. Is she still singing? If memory serves,
wasn't she someone that Domingo "discovered"?

Lis

md dl

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

She hardly needed discovering by anyone. She was singing Carmen in every
opera house in world up until about 1991 or 1992. She married the
intendant of a German Opera house (I think Cologne) and has tapered off.
She was well into her 50's in the early 90's, so it's more than likely
that she's retired gracefully.

daniel kessler

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

Victoria Vergara played Mother Goose in Stravinsky's RAKE'S
PROGRESS--that very strang production of Peter Sellars that takes place
in a prison that was seen at the Theatre du Chatelet last October.

Luis Angel Catoni

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98
to Lis K. Froding

Lis K. Froding wrote:

> That's a name I hadn't seen in a long time until Dan Kessler mentioned
> her in a Troyanos context. Is she still singing? If memory serves,
> wasn't she someone that Domingo "discovered"?

She sang Quickly in Miami in 1991 opposite Sherrill Milnes's first
Falstaff. Quite forgetable at best (her Quickly, not Milnes).

I understand that it was Lorin Maazel who "discovered" her, or at least
some of her hidden atributes. He had her as his Amneris in Vienna in the
80s in what I remember was one of the biggest scandals in at that house in
the last decades.

--
HAPPY LISTENING / FELIZ ESCUCHA / FELICE ASCOLTO / FELIZ ASCOLTAR!!!
Luis Angel Catoni

Mallardo7

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

>She sang Quickly in Miami in 1991 opposite Sherrill Milnes's first
>Falstaff. Quite forgetable at best (her Quickly, not Milnes).

Yes, even as Carmen, a role that was made for her, she always looked a lot
better than she sounded. Anyone recall her performance opposite Domingo in
Menotti's Goya? Not good. Of course the opera itself was a turkey.

Lis K. Froding

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

In article <199806051426...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
mall...@aol.com (Mallardo7) wrote:

>.... Anyone recall her performance opposite Domingo in

>Menotti's Goya? Not good. Of course the opera itself was a turkey.

Remember the opera, but not that she was in it. Was "Goya" a turkey?
Perhaps. Haven't watched it in years.

Lis

Xise

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Yes, Victoria Vergara was the mezzo in Goya and I agree that it was very
boring. Actually, I am not a great Menotti fan although I find him a real nice
person.

Matthew B. Tepper

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Is there such a singer who appeals to straight male opera fans? Or at
least straightens them out?

My personal home page -- http://www.deltanet.com/~ducky/index.htm
My main music page --- http://www.deltanet.com/~ducky/berlioz.htm
And my science fiction club's home page --- http://www.lasfs.org/

James Jorden

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

Matthew B. Tepper wrote:

> Is there such a singer who appeals to straight male opera fans? Or at
> least straightens them out?

I find her stage presence stiff and her phrasing turgid. But her
singing is always full-blooded -- when she can get it out of her throat.

--
james jorden
jjo...@ix.netcom.com