GRUBEROVA!!!!!

Richard Loeb

Dec 11, 2006, 12:02:11 PM12/11/06
I has always thought of Gruberova as just another very good coloratura
soprano (e.g. Queen of the Night, etc.) but I was really happy to hear how
superb she was as Elvira in Puritani in todays Sirius broadcast - the
announcer discussed how she came in after Sutherland who "owned the role!!'
as far as I'm concerned Gruberova was better in every respect - the
wonderful feel she has for this music and the classic way she traced the
lines - sometimes the high notes needed a bit of a nudge to get to the
proper altitude but she got there - really wonderful and I must get more of
her material. About Chris Merritt, all I can say is that if your high notes
are going to sound like that, maybe you should think twice before trying to
sing them. Richard

gerberk

Dec 11, 2006, 6:06:24 PM12/11/06
she is just great!!!!!
"Richard Loeb" <loe...@comcast.net> schreef in bericht

olivie...@t-online.de

Dec 20, 2006, 12:52:01 PM12/20/06

MezzomanUK

Dec 20, 2006, 1:05:26 PM12/20/06
Her Manon has just come out on DVD. I hadn`t realised she`d ever done it!
how is her French? One can hire it on www.amazon.co.uk
Trev(UK)

<olivie...@t-online.de> wrote in message

thier...@googlemail.com

Dec 20, 2006, 1:19:58 PM12/20/06

MezzomanUK (nospam) schrieb:

> Her Manon has just come out on DVD. I hadn`t realised she`d ever done it!
> how is her French? One can hire it on www.amazon.co.uk
> Trev(UK)

I saw it on VHS. She's mannered beyond the bearable (and Manon as a
part already allows some mannerism, but too much is just too much).
Her "Adieu, notre petite table" should be shown as a negative example
to all sopranos attempting to sing French opera.

th.

Dan Tritter

Dec 20, 2006, 1:38:55 PM12/20/06

shhhhhhhhh, richard. don't say those things about merritt.
if tom kaufman reads that, he'll throw an aneurism. with all
respect to tom, i must agree with you.

REG

Dec 22, 2006, 7:02:32 AM12/22/06
I listened recently to the Gruberova MET Puritani on Sirius. I have to say
that I was not as impressed as my friend Richard with the performance. I
thought that she certainly sang it better than Sutherland, for example - it
wasn't droopy and it had a distinct style and you could understand the
words, but my reservations primarily was not so much that the tone was
unpleasant at moments (not always), or that she does that terrible scoop up
to the acuti (Devia does it also, although MD ends up at the target note
more quickly - I think of it was a European affectation, by the way; it's
not an American style), but rather that the tone quality is just too
unvaried.....she, to my ears, could be singing Lucia or Elisir or a farsa.
There's no sense of coloring the voice, or putting anything special into the
voice, and so for me although it's more than respectable, it's very boring.
I also found myself a little surprised that the fioritura was so cautious -
not labored, but never fleet. I think I liked Merritt more on style than
Richard did as well, although I recognize the difficulties he had in the
second act - he never really pulled the voice together the way one hoped a
decade earlier. I actually was crazy about the baritone, not for the tone
quality, which was shallow, but for the style, the attention to detail, and
the breath line - I think he may have been the first person I've heard to
sing his first act cabaletta truly complete.

<thier...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

thier...@googlemail.com

Dec 22, 2006, 7:29:04 AM12/22/06

REG wrote:
> my reservation primarily was not so much that the tone was

> unpleasant at moments (not always), or that she does that terrible scoop up
> to the acuti (Devia does it also, although MD ends up at the target note
> more quickly - I think of it as a European affectation, by the way; it's
> not an American style)

The "Gruberova scooping" is not systematically a European feature.
Italians call it "taking the elevator", French "catching the notes by
the tail".
Gruberova does it in an exemplary way ... and doesn't always reach the
target; for my ears she stops a little on the flat side. Devia also
flirts occasionally with the pitch BTW.
Theodossiou takes even slower elevators than Gruberova, but you'll find
a good lot of European singers sportly enough to avoid elevators or
able to catch their notes right in the middle.

Best,

th.

REG

Dec 22, 2006, 7:56:06 AM12/22/06
I love those phrases, Thierry - I say European because I don't think I know
of an American soprano who does it, although I know that there must be
Europeans who don't. Why do you think that is? Do you think it's a specific
technical approach - either because the singer is concerned that she can't
really feel or sense the acuti otherwise, or because it's a style, kind of
the detritus of a legato - or why else? I am curious what you think on this.

<thier...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Ortrud Jones

Dec 22, 2006, 1:51:12 PM12/22/06
Uh...Callas made both Sutherland and the Grubby one look like yapping
toy poodles, dearie.

-Ortrud Jones

Dan Tritter

Dec 22, 2006, 4:17:10 PM12/22/06
Ortrud Jones wrote:
> Uh...Callas made both Sutherland and the Grubby one look like yapping
> toy poodles, dearie.
>
> -Ortrud Jones

now orturd,, no need to be bitter about those toy poodles' having pissed
all over you. nobody noticed any difference between your smell, before
or after.

gerberk

Dec 22, 2006, 4:44:37 PM12/22/06
still dreaming to be Divine? forget it, man-who-wants-to-be-woman !

Ortrud Jones

Dec 22, 2006, 4:57:25 PM12/22/06
Judging by how wrinkly and crackly your skin is, I'd wager more than
toy poodles have been pissing all over your sorry, bitter self, old
man.

*smirk*
-Ortrud Jones

Dan Tritter wrote:
> [more geriatric babble]
.

Ortrud Jones

Dec 22, 2006, 4:59:15 PM12/22/06
Still too poor to afford better anti-psychotic medication closet case?

go screw your mother!
-Ortrud Jones

Dan Tritter

Dec 22, 2006, 5:06:52 PM12/22/06
nice try. you flunked insults 101 again. have you ever done anything
successfully (with the obvious exception of eating shit three meals a
day, setting a new course record and dwarfing all competition.

Ortrud Jones

Dec 22, 2006, 5:15:38 PM12/22/06
Looking at how you're fascinated with shit, Bollman and being a bitter
old man in general, I'll take your assessment as "flunking insults 101"
as meaning I'm going in the right direction, Wrinkles.

you are a pathetic excuse for a human being. you must apologize for
your existence *immediately*.

-Ortrud Jones

Dan Tritter wrote:
>[quivering voice, cane rattling ad nauseum]
.

Dan Tritter

Dec 22, 2006, 5:33:14 PM12/22/06
let's see now, i met paul cohen, reg and ed rosen a couple of weeks
ago at the met. care to ask any or all of them about my wrinkles and old
age? or would you prefer to continue to swimming in your own shit,
prior to eating it as a constant diet? or do you want this to be another
chapter in your contemptible career as otcc, who runs whenever
challenged? orturd, have you a fundamental allergy to bathing?

Ortrud Jones

Dec 22, 2006, 5:47:32 PM12/22/06
Ooooooh! Looks like La Ortrud is hitting a sore spot with
Feca-Wrinkles!

yeeeeeha!

-Ortrud Jones

Dan Tritter wrote:
> [more wobbly voice and cane rattling from the geriatric]
.

Dan Tritter

Dec 22, 2006, 5:59:34 PM12/22/06

excuse us, shitforbrains. you neglected to ansawer the question, or was
that whooooshhhh the sound (and flatulence) of orturd the craven cunt
running for cover? why are we not surprised?

alcindoro

Dec 22, 2006, 6:02:09 PM12/22/06

REG wrote:
> I listened recently to the Gruberova MET Puritani on Sirius. <

Well, I was at one of those performances in the house (different tenor,
shame on me but
I can't recall the name, but distinctly recall he was a damn sight
better than Merritt on the broadcast). I can tell you she was anything
but boring. The "scoops" were there but she got onto the note and they
were big and juicy -- great fun to hear acuti really pealing through
the house (I was in side of middle orchestra). But the highlight of
the show was the Mad Scene. At the end she fell in a heap, and the
exit music was cut, allowing for a big hand, which she got. But wait.
She's gotta get off-stage, and there's no exit music. What's she gonna
do? Well sir, as the house is going bonkers, she gets us, evvvver sooo
slooowly,
back to the audience, dazed and confused, y'know. House is still going
nuts. She stands with her back to the audience, and holds the pose for
a moment. Audience still going nuts.
And slowly she turns to face the house, seeming to "hear" some distant
sound ... is it her beloved's voice? Is it distant thunderous
applause? And so, without actually doing so, she
took a BOW ... and then walked slowly up a huge flight of stairs, and
off-stage. It was some of the most fabulous milking I've ever seen,
and I turned to my friend and said, "Now THAT'S a diva!" I've been a
fan ever since, but she has not been to NYC since.

REG

Dec 22, 2006, 6:27:14 PM12/22/06
I saw Taylor Meade do the same thing once.

"alcindoro" <alci...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ortrud Jones

Dec 22, 2006, 6:42:15 PM12/22/06
Now I know its time for Shady Pines to change your Depends. That was
your wrinkly, flapping ass farting, old man. Someone plug it up, his
brains are fixing to fall out...

*smirk*

alcindoro

Dec 22, 2006, 7:14:41 PM12/22/06
REG wrote:
> I saw Taylor Meade do the same thing once.

Privately, no doubt.

REG

Dec 22, 2006, 7:59:28 PM12/22/06
No, at a little place near the corner of Second Avenue and Fourth Street.

"alcindoro" <alci...@aol.com> wrote in message

gerberk

Dec 23, 2006, 1:55:17 PM12/23/06
and you are too poor to afford a sex change, so you prance around as
atransvestite, man-who-wants-to-be-woman ! your mother must have cut
your balls off because you were playing too much with them, ja? so now
you don't have balls, but have this little thing you call a prick.

thier...@googlemail.com

Dec 23, 2006, 3:10:33 PM12/23/06

REG schrieb:

> I love those phrases, Thierry - I say European because I don't think I know
> of an American soprano who does it, although I know that there must be
> Europeans who don't. Why do you think that is? Do you think it's a specific
> technical approach - either because the singer is concerned that she can't
> really feel or sense the acuti otherwise, or because it's a style, kind of
> the detritus of a legato - or why else? I am curious what you think on this.

I think it is drawn from Garcia's insights, "la petite note
inférieure", by which he meant an appoggiatura (better, an
accacciatura) on a lower note. Gruberova and some others jump to this
lower note and then heave it to - approximately - the right height.
I know it doesn't bother many, but since I'm cursed with a rather good
pitch (not the absolute pitch, mind you, but, as Lucia Popp used to say
"a good relative one"), it hurts me physically.

BTW Gruberova doesn't take the elevator only to the top floor, but also
to intermediate ones, which the Gruberova defense forces call
"expressive portamento" and I "badly oiled hinge".

th.

Ortrud Jones

Dec 23, 2006, 5:32:07 PM12/23/06
You are truly a complete and thorough moron, Gerberk. You have no idea
who much I earn, what sex I am, etc, etc. What we do know however is
that you are extremely unstable, that you have posted on rmo some truly
frightening posts demonstrating how deeply unhinged you are, and
besides blaming the chemical inbalance in your head, I hold your mother
directly responsible for the reprehensible way she must have raised
you. She was undoubtedly one of those whores in Amsterdam's red light
district - her venereal diseases must have affected your gestation in
her soiled and infected womb.

Just like with Tritter, I pity you, Gerberk. You and he are two peas
in a pod. Yuck.

-Ortrud Jones

REG

Dec 23, 2006, 7:27:19 PM12/23/06
I do laugh at your descriptions, Thierry!

I think that Garcia probably meant the kind of thing we hear on the Moreschi
discs, no? There, you can hear the upper note prepared for by the
acacciatura. At least that's my guess.

Best
<thier...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

gerberk

Dec 24, 2006, 10:53:11 AM12/24/06
like I said, you are the typical tyrant who accuses people of being a
moron
or mentally disturbed once your secret is exposed. you are a man, and
that
is a fact no one can deny, but you are such a failed man that you want
play out your fantasies on the newsgroup as a woman. when everyone
started
to suspect you are not a woman, you say you are a lesbian. your
character
profile is definitely a man. how much you earn? hahaha ! not very much.
rich
people have other ways of spending their time other than post rubbish
continuously on the newsgroup the way you do, fuck face! now you are
exposed
you insult me and my dead mother. hahaha ! can't you do better than
that,
man-who-wants-to-be-woman?

Ortrud Jones

Dec 24, 2006, 1:05:52 PM12/24/06

Dan Tritter

Dec 24, 2006, 2:59:23 PM12/24/06
orturd will be unable to locate the peas where she lives in
that latrine hole.

Ortrud Jones

Dec 24, 2006, 3:02:19 PM12/24/06
Say goodnight, Gracie.

-Ortrud Jones

Dan Tritter wrote:

> orturd will be unable to locate the peas where she lives in
> that latrine hole.

.

gerberk

Dec 24, 2006, 3:11:24 PM12/24/06
your mind is so fucking prejudiced that all you wanna hear is what you
have preconceived (ha! you can't conceive!) in your wretched warped and
rotting thing you call "mind". you are a man - period. women do not
rant the way you do, not even lesbian dykes (I know about dykes, I live
in Holland). you insult me because I am the only person who dares to
come forth with the truth about you. Sticks and stones break my bones,
but words do not hurt me, man-who-wanna-be woman ! you failed, even in
your efforts to cover up your failure as a man! has anyone offered to
fill that stocking sticking out of your asshole (the one you call your
cunt)? no, I don't know how little you earn, but wealthy women do not
spend their time writing trash the way you do on the internet.

Dan Tritter

Dec 24, 2006, 4:41:16 PM12/24/06
goodbye, graceless orturd.

still waiting to hear from someone, anyone, on rmo who would admit to
being your friend. i'll not hold my breath

Ortrud Jones

Dec 24, 2006, 5:54:16 PM12/24/06
Funny thing...I'm still waiting for someone...ANYONE...who'll say
they're your friend, asswipe.

*smirk*

Dan Tritter

Dec 24, 2006, 6:55:57 PM12/24/06
dear asswi[e smirk orturd jones:
if you wish it, some will volunteer, or let me name them.
but you go first. 24 hours: round up all your friends, perhaps starting
with berserk, your dutch lover.

Ortrud Jones

Dec 24, 2006, 10:02:16 PM12/24/06
Bitch, I don't feel the need to call some popularity contest like you
do. I know who my allies are, and who can commiserate with having to
deal with your bitter, wrinkly self. That's all I need to know.

And besides....I'm still waiting for someone....ANYONE...who'll say
they're your friend (besides your boyfriend Gerberk that is).

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

MORON!

gerberk

Dec 25, 2006, 4:52:38 AM12/25/06
look who's talking! you have no friend, that is why you try to be a
woman in hope of finding gullible lesbian to be your friend. you are
nothing but LIAR!

Ortrud Jones

Dec 25, 2006, 11:26:04 AM12/25/06
Peace on earth! Pace e gioia!

mille baci per tutti!
-Ortrud Jones

gerberk

Dec 25, 2006, 3:44:19 PM12/25/06
I don't believe you ! I don't believe you even if you tell me the time
of day, you half man !

gerberk

Dec 25, 2006, 5:28:27 PM12/25/06
Will you stop that this is Christmas you know
"gerberk" <ger...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

Ortrud Jones

Dec 26, 2006, 1:17:44 AM12/26/06
I love you, Gerberk. Peace on earth! Pace e gioia!

-Ortrud Jones

gggg...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2020, 3:53:11 PM9/13/20
On Monday, December 11, 2006 at 9:02:11 AM UTC-8, Richard Loeb wrote:
> I has always thought of Gruberova as just another very good coloratura
> soprano (e.g. Queen of the Night, etc.) but I was really happy to hear how
> superb she was as Elvira in Puritani in todays Sirius broadcast - the
> announcer discussed how she came in after Sutherland who "owned the role!!'
> as far as I'm concerned Gruberova was better in every respect - the
> wonderful feel she has for this music and the classic way she traced the
> lines - sometimes the high notes needed a bit of a nudge to get to the
> proper altitude but she got there - really wonderful and I must get more of
> her material. About Chris Merritt, all I can say is that if your high notes
> are going to sound like that, maybe you should think twice before trying to
> sing them. Richard

She has just ended her career:

https://operawire.com/edita-gruberova-cancels-upcoming-performance-ends-career/

gggg gggg

Oct 20, 2021, 2:32:52 AM10/20/21

gggg gggg

Dec 5, 2021, 3:32:23 AM12/5/21
On Monday, December 11, 2006 at 7:02:11 AM UTC-10, Richard Loeb wrote:
> I has always thought of Gruberova as just another very good coloratura
> soprano (e.g. Queen of the Night, etc.) but I was really happy to hear how
> superb she was as Elvira in Puritani in todays Sirius broadcast - the
> announcer discussed how she came in after Sutherland who "owned the role!!'
> as far as I'm concerned Gruberova was better in every respect - the
> wonderful feel she has for this music and the classic way she traced the
> lines - sometimes the high notes needed a bit of a nudge to get to the
> proper altitude but she got there - really wonderful and I must get more of
> her material. About Chris Merritt, all I can say is that if your high notes
> are going to sound like that, maybe you should think twice before trying to
> sing them. Richard

Gruberova sings art songs (recent radio program):

https://lottelehmannleague.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/GruberovaMemorial2021-Audio.mp3