Turandot with Rolf Kleinert, Berlin RSO, and Eva-Maria Straussova - Information please.

celeste cadenza

May 27, 2007, 4:45:32 PM5/27/07
A Turandot has been floating around some filesharing services that
allegedly has this cast:

Turandot: Eva-Maria Straussova
Altoum: Johannes Kemter
Timur: Gerhard Frei
Kalaf: Martin Ritzmann
Liu: Elisabeth Breul
Ping: Horst Lunow
Pang: Hans-Peter Schwarzbach
Pong: Helmuth Klotz
Mandarin: Wilfried Schaal
Außerdem: Margot Kaschel, Gisela Beer, Manfred Peine

Rundfunk-Chor und Rundfunk-Kinderchor Berlin
Rundfunk-Sinfonie-Orchester Berlin

Conductor: Rolf Kleinert

It is sung in German but I must confess that I've never heard of
"Eva-Maria Straussova" before. There's even a picture of Madame
Straussova circulating with the performance.

Searching finds a few excerpts with the Liu [Elisabeth Breul] and
Kleinert/Berlin RSO:
http://www.amazon.de/After-Work-Hour-Classical-8/dp/B0009YBZY2
but not much else.

I would welcome any information on the origins of this recording.

tia
/cc

alanwa...@aol.com

May 27, 2007, 5:54:31 PM5/27/07
On May 27, 9:45�pm, celeste cadenza <CelesteCadenza@rhymes-with-

I do not know about the recording but Eva Marie Straussova (you can
forget the hyphen) is...errr...A Bohemian Girl (that's an Irish
Operetta Joke) having been born in the city of Eger (better known as
Cheb) close to the German border in June 1934. I believe she had a
career in both Germany and Austria.

A bloke born in Eger/Cheb went on, I believe, to have a reasonable
career as a pianist in America.

His name was Rudolf Serkin.

Amazing, really.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins

John Wilson

May 28, 2007, 9:03:54 AM5/28/07
On 27 May 2007 14:54:31 -0700, "alanwa...@aol.com"
<alanwa...@aol.com> wrote:

>On May 27, 9:45?pm, celeste cadenza <CelesteCadenza@rhymes-with-

>achoo!.com> wrote:
>> A Turandot has been floating around some filesharing services that
>> allegedly has this cast:
>>
>> Turandot: Eva-Maria Straussova
>> Altoum: Johannes Kemter
>> Timur: Gerhard Frei
>> Kalaf: Martin Ritzmann
>> Liu: Elisabeth Breul
>> Ping: Horst Lunow
>> Pang: Hans-Peter Schwarzbach
>> Pong: Helmuth Klotz
>> Mandarin: Wilfried Schaal

>> Au?rdem: Margot Kaschel, Gisela Beer, Manfred Peine

>> Rundfunk-Chor und Rundfunk-Kinderchor Berlin
>> Rundfunk-Sinfonie-Orchester Berlin
>>
>> Conductor: Rolf Kleinert
>>
>> It is sung in German but I must confess that I've never heard of
>> "Eva-Maria Straussova" before. There's even a picture of Madame
>> Straussova circulating with the performance.
>>
>> Searching finds a few excerpts with the Liu [Elisabeth Breul] and
>> Kleinert/Berlin RSO:http://www.amazon.de/After-Work-Hour-Classical-8/dp/B0009YBZY2
>> but not much else.
>>
>> I would welcome any information on the origins of this recording.
>>
>> tia
>> /cc
>
>I do not know about the recording but Eva Marie Straussova (you can
>forget the hyphen) is...errr...A Bohemian Girl (that's an Irish
>Operetta Joke) having been born in the city of Eger (better known as
>Cheb) close to the German border in June 1934. I believe she had a
>career in both Germany and Austria.
>
>A bloke born in Eger/Cheb went on, I believe, to have a reasonable
>career as a pianist in America.
>
>His name was Rudolf Serkin.
>
>Amazing, really.
>
>Kind regards,
>Alan M. Watkins

Is Eva Marie Straussova the latest creation of your friend Coupe de
Fraud, Mr. Watkins? The new Joyce Hatto of the singing world?

JW

Dan Tritter

May 28, 2007, 9:21:50 AM5/28/07

not just in america, but all over the civilized world.

>> His name was Rudolf Serkin.
>>
>> Amazing, really.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Alan M. Watkins
>
> Is Eva Marie Straussova the latest creation of your friend Coupe de
> Fraud, Mr. Watkins? The new Joyce Hatto of the singing world?
>
> JW

another of the neighbors in the cheb district was named
konrad henlein, a hitler acolyte who led a paramilitary nazi
party in the sudentenland was rewarded for his fifth column
activities by being quickly and justifiably hanged after WWII.

Message has been deleted

graham

May 28, 2007, 10:50:48 AM5/28/07

"EM" <emmemmme...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> John Wilson <j...@earthlink.net> - Mon, 28 May 2007 06:03:54 -0700:

>> Is Eva Marie Straussova the latest creation of your friend Coupe de
>> Fraud, Mr. Watkins? The new Joyce Hatto of the singing world?
>
> LOL. But who's creation is Mr. Watkins? ;-)

Charles Smith's, perhaps;-)
Graham

aleksios

May 28, 2007, 12:30:01 PM5/28/07
On 2007-05-28 09:21:50 -0400, Dan Tritter <dtri...@speakeasy.net>
said:

> another of the neighbors in the cheb district was named konrad
> henlein, a hitler acolyte who led a paramilitary nazi party in
> the sudentenland was rewarded for his fifth column activities by
> being quickly and justifiably hanged after WWII.

Get your facts straight. Henlein may have been for a time phys ed
instructor in As (Asch), but he was born in Liberec (Reichenberg),
i.e. northern Bohemia, not in Cheb (Eger). He did not lead a
"paramilitary nazi party" ("paramilitary party" is an oxymoron); he
led, at different times, an eventually Nazified political organisation
(the SHF/SdP), and a paramilitary organisation (the SdFK); later, he
was Gauleiter of Sudenteland (from 1939), as well as SS-Gruppenfuehrer
(then SS-Obergruppenfuehrer). Finally, he wasn't hanged, he committed
suicide while in American custody. Not that I see what any of this has
to do with Serkin; if it has anything to do with Eva Maria Straussova
(of whom I, for one, have never heard before), please explain.

Incidentally, the toponym "Eger" may be confusing. Rudolf Serkin was
born in a city in the Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad) district of western
Bohemia. Like many others in central and eastern Europe, the city
bears different names: "Cheb" in Czech, and "Eger" in German; its
hinterland was long known as "Egerland". However, way to the east, in
Hungary, there is another city, known as "Eger" in Hungarian, but as
"Erlau" in German. While Schiller fans and piano cognoscenti know Cheb/
Eger as Wallenstein's deathplace and Serkin's birthplace, geologists
know Eger/Erlau as the stratotype of Egerian (a regional stage some
15-20 million years ago in central and eastern Europe), as well as the
source for consolation on many a field trip -- the Egri Bikaver
(Bull's Blood).

--Alex (the travelling philistine)

giast...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2019, 2:50:39 PM3/11/19