Carlo Bini, so called singer/tenor

Matthew H. Capell

Nov 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/8/97

Is this idiot still imposing his screaming on the listening public. I last
heard him when he screamed his way through Ernani in Dallas about 12 years
ago. In the midst of the rehearsals (I was in the chorous), Rescigno, the
conductor told him that his voice gave us all a headache and sounded like
pe-pe. Bini just scrugged and went right ahead with the worst professional
singing that can be imagined. Maestro Begnalio, the chorous master (for
many years at Scala) turned to me at one point backstage and said, "Povoro
Dallas" It was truly awful at every moment. Maybe God is merciful and he
is dead!

donpaolo

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

You MUST be joking - this guy have more than cojones for imposing himself
upon the public.

Does this make a case for booooooing? Maybe tarring & feathering!

What a disgrace!

Matthew H. Capell <cap...@surfline.ne.jp> wrote in article
<01bcec47$723154c0$55438dd2@louis>...

donpaolo

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

They sure do manage to retain their jobs - it's a matter of outright
stealing from the naive opers-going public.

You know, more & more I am convinced that booing should be institutiones to
accompany those automatic standing ovations!

And, the great Rudy Bing hired Sebastian Fiersinger, Gianni Poggi & other
slobs. Why? Why? Why?

Jimmy Levine, further, hired Bruno Beccaria & Nunzio Todesco (remember
HIM?).

James Jorden <jjo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<346851...@ix.netcom.com>...

> Matthew H. Capell wrote:
> >
> > Is this idiot still imposing his screaming on the listening public. I
last
> > heard him when he screamed his way through Ernani in Dallas about 12
years
> > ago. In the midst of the rehearsals (I was in the chorous), Rescigno,
the
> > conductor told him that his voice gave us all a headache and sounded
like
> > pe-pe.
>

> One thing is for sure: the idiots who *hired* Bini certainly do still
> have their jobs.
>
> ==========
>
> james jorden
> jjo...@ix.netcom.com
> www.anaserve.com/~parterre
>
> "Maenner! Lieber Gott, wenn du wirklich wolltest, dass wir ihnen
> widerstehen sollten, warum hast du sie so verschieden geschaffen?"

Rudolf U. Weber

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

I still remember Bini's wonderful and terribly funny Enzo at the MET in
1982 with Eva Marton and Mignon Dunn as his partners. I nearly beat the
Marx Brothers and it was live, too!

James Jorden

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

Rosario Gennaro

Nov 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/11/97

In article <01bcec47$723154c0$55438dd2@louis> "Matthew H. Capell" <cap...@surfline.ne.jp> writes:

>It was truly awful at every moment. Maybe God is merciful and he
>is dead!

He is still alive. He gave a concert somewhere in Italy last week.

---Rosario

--
ros...@theory.lcs.mit.edu -- http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~rosario

"... la tua loquela ti fa manifesto di quella nobil patria natio ..."
Inf. X

Brian Newhouse

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

In article <01bceec3$2000fba0$4432accf@default>, "donpaolo"
<donp...@erols.com> wrote:

> They sure do manage to retain their jobs - it's a matter of outright
> stealing from the naive opers-going public.
>
> You know, more & more I am convinced that booing should be institutiones to
> accompany those automatic standing ovations!
>
> And, the great Rudy Bing hired Sebastian Fiersinger, Gianni Poggi & other
> slobs. Why? Why? Why?
>
> Jimmy Levine, further, hired Bruno Beccaria & Nunzio Todesco (remember
> HIM?).

[snip]

Unfortunately, as long as a worse than mediocre *Ernani* or *Gioconda*
(not to mention an *Aida* or *Tosca* reeking of filth) can be relied upon
to outsell a really first-class *Orlando* or *Jenufa* or even in some
houses *Cosi fan tutte*, desperate underlings will hunt down slobs who can
shout more or less at the right pitch to fill those tenor roles when
nothing better is available, and still more desperate artistic directors
will hire them.

Frankly, if the major opera houses chose their repertory entirely on the
basis of getting the best possible singers available, the current standard
Italian and German repertories would become as uncommon on the world's
stages as Russian opera or French _tragedie lyrique_ is today. Granted, we
would probably have a far more varied repertory left to enjoy (we not
including donpaolo, who would probably be driven up the wall as Mozart's
operas become as omnipresent as Puccini's are now); but would the "naive
opera-going public" really tolerate the absence of some of its best-loved
works simply because they couldn't be performed competently?

--
Brian Newhouse
newh...@mail.crisp.net

Mallardo7

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

>Jimmy Levine, further, hired Bruno Beccaria & Nunzio Todesco (remember
>> HIM?).

As I recall, Nunzio Todisco was engaged to replace the ailing Bruno Beccaria,
as Cavaradossi in Tosca. How's that for casting?

Mallardo7

Nov 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/12/97

>I still remember Bini's wonderful and terribly funny Enzo at the MET in
>1982 with Eva Marton and Mignon Dunn as his partners.

Bini was awful but he was in a bad spot. He went on in the Second Act of
Gioconda after Domingo decided he couldn't continue, so he had to begin his
performance with Cielo e mar. I wasn't there but I understand audience
reaction was so bad he tried to flee the stage - Marton and Dunn grabbed him
and forced him to stay!

Musipro

Nov 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/15/97

"donpaolo" wrote:

>And, the great Rudy Bing hired Sebastian Fiersinger, Gianni Poggi & other
>slobs. Why? Why? Why?
>

>Jimmy Levine, further, hired Bruno Beccaria & Nunzio Todesco (remember
>HIM?).

Trying no doubt to please the likes of you and find an alternative to a certain
Spanish tenor superstar, is my guess.

donpaolo

Nov 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/17/97

A viable alternative, I readily admit!

Musipro <mus...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19971115001...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

samv...@yahoo.com

Oct 17, 2017, 10:14:28 PM10/17/17
There are worse things than having a bad night or singing poorly. (I have never heard Mr. Bini sing so I honestly have no opinion.) Something worse than singing poorly: being a cold-hearted and cruel human being.

Edward A. Cowan

Oct 28, 2017, 10:02:05 PM10/28/17
On Tuesday, November 11, 1997 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, donpaolo wrote:
> You MUST be joking - this guy have more than cojones for imposing himself
> upon the public.
>
> Does this make a case for booooooing? Maybe tarring & feathering!
>
> What a disgrace!
>
> Matthew H. Capell <cap...@surfline.ne.jp> wrote in article
> <01bcec47$723154c0$55438dd2@louis>...
> > Is this idiot still imposing his screaming on the listening public. I
> last
> > heard him when he screamed his way through Ernani in Dallas about 12
> years
> > ago. In the midst of the rehearsals (I was in the chorous), Rescigno,
> the
> > conductor told him that his voice gave us all a headache and sounded like
> > pe-pe. Bini just scrugged and went right ahead with the worst
> professional
> > singing that can be imagined. Maestro Begnalio, the chorous master (for
> > many years at Scala) turned to me at one point backstage and said,
> "Povoro
> > Dallas" It was truly awful at every moment. Maybe God is merciful and
> he
> > is dead!

I attended that Dallas performance of _Ernani_ and I recall Signor Bini with shudders. As for Feiersinger, I first heard him in San Antonio as Tannhäuser and at times this memory still hurts my ears. HOWEVER: I reheard his Walter von Stolzing in _Die Meistersinger_ on SIRIUS, with the Met orchestra cond. Karl Böhm, and he seemed to sound quite a bit better than I had recalled. There seem to be no available recordings of this tenor, so I cannot provide further information about him. --E.A.C.

On Tuesday, November 11, 1997 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, donpaolo wrote:
> You MUST be joking - this guy have more than cojones for imposing himself
> upon the public.
>
> Does this make a case for booooooing? Maybe tarring & feathering!
>
> What a disgrace!
>
> Matthew H. Capell <cap...@surfline.ne.jp> wrote in article
> <01bcec47$723154c0$55438dd2@louis>...
> > Is this idiot still imposing his screaming on the listening public. I
> last
> > heard him when he screamed his way through Ernani in Dallas about 12
> years
> > ago. In the midst of the rehearsals (I was in the chorous), Rescigno,
> the
> > conductor told him that his voice gave us all a headache and sounded like
> > pe-pe. Bini just scrugged and went right ahead with the worst
> professional
> > singing that can be imagined. Maestro Begnalio, the chorous master (for
> > many years at Scala) turned to me at one point backstage and said,
> "Povoro
> > Dallas" It was truly awful at every moment. Maybe God is merciful and
> he
> > is dead!

freddy...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2019, 7:00:15 PM6/22/19
On Saturday, November 8, 1997 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Matthew H. Capell wrote:
> Is this idiot still imposing his screaming on the listening public. I last
> heard him when he screamed his way through Ernani in Dallas about 12 years
> ago. In the midst of the rehearsals (I was in the chorous), Rescigno, the
> conductor told him that his voice gave us all a headache and sounded like
> pe-pe. Bini just scrugged and went right ahead with the worst professional
> singing that can be imagined. Maestro Begnalio, the chorous master (for
> many years at Scala) turned to me at one point backstage and said, "Povoro
> Dallas" It was truly awful at every moment. Maybe God is merciful and he
> is dead!

I have had the honour of listening to this man for many years, and never once have i ever perceived his singing as 'screaming' or 'Pe-Pe', with warm vocals and and clear timbre i enjoyed every note. Judging from your inability to use the English language, i would recommend that you refrain from passing harsh judgement on others.

Sincerely

A lover of Carlo's voice

zaphir.a...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2019, 6:36:19 AM11/10/19
Ok for the others.
But why you didn't like G.Poggi?

kylebe...@hotmail.com

Jan 10, 2020, 4:37:30 AM1/10/20
On Saturday, November 8, 1997 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Matthew H. Capell wrote:
> Is this idiot still imposing his screaming on the listening public. I last
> heard him when he screamed his way through Ernani in Dallas about 12 years
> ago. In the midst of the rehearsals (I was in the chorous), Rescigno, the
> conductor told him that his voice gave us all a headache and sounded like
> pe-pe. Bini just scrugged and went right ahead with the worst professional
> singing that can be imagined. Maestro Begnalio, the chorous master (for
> many years at Scala) turned to me at one point backstage and said, "Povoro
> Dallas" It was truly awful at every moment. Maybe God is merciful and he
> is dead!

Not bad in late 70s, but started pushing his butt off and came up with a major wobble (drive a truck through it) Shame, spoke with him once back stage Andre Chenier...a decent fellow.