Walküre

Nikolaos Tavridis

Jun 2, 2002, 6:05:40 AM6/2/02

Hi Everybody,

Looking for a Walküre recording. Any recoommendations?

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Nikos

To Reply remove "nospam" from my adress

Derrick Everett

Jun 2, 2002, 7:16:27 AM6/2/02
On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 12:05:40 +0200, Nikolaos Tavridis wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Looking for a Walküre recording. Any recoommendations?

The obvious candidates include (in order of my own preference):

* c. Böhm, live at the 1967 Bayreuther Festspiele, recently remastered on
Philips 464 751-2. With James King, Leonie Rysanek, Birgit Nilsson, Theo
Adam, Gerd Nienstedt and Annelies Burmeister.

* c. Solti, Vienna, from the first complete studio-recorded "Ring", on
Decca/London 414 105-2. This was the last part of the cycle to be
recorded, in 1965. With James King, Regine Crespin, Birgit Nilsson, Hans
Hotter, Gottlob Frick and Christa Ludwig.

* c. Karajan, issued 1967 on DGG 457 785-2. With Jon Vickers, Gundula
Janowitz, Regine Crespin, Thomas Stewart, Martti Talvela and Josephine
Veasey.

* c. Furtwängler, Vienna on EMI 63045-2. Recorded in 1954, this was the
first complete, integral "Walküre" to be issued as a commercial recording.
With Ludwig Suthaus, Leonie Rysanek, Martha Mödl, Ferdinand Frantz, Gottlob
Frick and Margarete Klose.

* c. Goodall, sung in ENGLISH at the ENO, on EMI 7 63918 2. With Alberto
Remedios, Margaret Curphey, Rita Hunter, Norman Bailey, Clifford Grant
and Ann Howard.

* c. Levine, Met. Orch. on DGG 423 389-2. With Gary Lakes, Jessye
Norman, Hildegard Behrens, James Morris, Kurt Moll and Christa Ludwig.

Most of the remaining commercially-produced, stereo recordings issued in
recent decades are best passed over in silence. There are also complete
"Rings", of course. You might like to try the following live recordings
if you can find them:

* c. Leinsdorf, live in Boston 17.02.1940. With Lauritz Melchior,
Marjorie Lawrence, Kirsten Flagstad, Julius Huehn, Emanuel List and Karin
Branzell. I have this on a Walhall set.

* c. Karajan, live at the NY Met 01.03.1969. With Jon Vickers, Regine
Crespin, Birgit Nilsson, Theo Adam, Martti Talvela and Josephine Veasey.
I have this on an Arkadia set.

--
Derrick Everett (deverett at c2i.net)
==== Writing from 59°54'N 10°36'E ====

Helmut Fischer

Jun 2, 2002, 9:25:24 AM6/2/02
Hi Nikos

Two perfect recommendations:

DIE WALKÜRE
Siegmund: Siegfried Jerusalem
Hunding: Kurt Moll
Wotan: Theo Adam
Sieglinde: Jessye Norman
Brünnhilde: Jeannine Altmeyer
Fricka: Yvonne Minton
Gerhilde: Eva-Maria Bundschuh
Ortlinde: Cheryl Studer
Waltraute: Ortrun Wenkel
Schwertleite: Anne Gjevang
Helmwiege: Ruth Falcon
Siegrune: Christel Borchers
Grimgerde: Kathleen Kuhlmann
Rossweisse: Uta Priew

Staatskapelle Dresden
Assistant: Gottfried Hämpel
Conductor: Marek Janowski

Recording: Lukaskirche Dresden
Saturday 22 to Saturday 29 August 1981

BMG Classics Eurodisc 69005-2-RG (1989)

In Der Ring des Nibelungen
RCA GD 69003 (14)

DIE WALKÜRE
Brünnhilde: Eva Marton
Sieglinde: Cheryl Studer
Wotan: James Morris
Siegmund: Reiner Goldberg
Hunding: Matti Salminen
Fricka: Waltraud Meier
Gerhilde: Anita Soldh
Helmwige: Ruth Falcon
Waltraute: Ute Walther
Schwertleite: Ursula Kunz
Ortlinde: Sylvia Herman
Siegrune: Margaretha Hintermeier
Grimgerde: Carolyn Watkinson
Roßweiße: Margarita Lilowa

Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra
Conductor: Bernard Haitink

Recording: Munich, Herkulessaal der Residenz
February & March 1988

EMI CDS 7 49534-2 (4) (1988)

Die Walküre (complete): in Der Ring des Nibelungen
CMS 7 64775 2 (14 CD)

Greetings from Vienna,
Helmut Fischer

horizon

Jun 2, 2002, 9:25:48 AM6/2/02

"Nikolaos Tavridis" <mailnew...@tavridis.com> wrote in message

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Looking for a Walküre recording. Any recoommendations?

My favorites are Solti, Goodall & Leinsdorf.

Matt C

dtritter

Jun 2, 2002, 9:44:38 AM6/2/02
obviously these two were chosen by gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaby because of the
presence in each cast of the defnitive helmwige of ruth falcon.

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaby certainly doesn't want to consider such
recordings as those with the substandard work of birgit nilsson, kirsten
flagstad, leonie rysanek, astrid varnay and others who plainly do not
meet his exacting requirements.

dft

Derrick Everett

Jun 2, 2002, 1:09:11 PM6/2/02
On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 15:25:24 +0200, Helmut Fischer wrote:

> Hi Nikos
>
> Two perfect recommendations:

<snip>
> Brünnhilde: Jeannine Altmeyer

Really?

<snip>
> Brünnhilde: Eva Marton

Your recommendations say a lot about your idea of perfection, at least as
far as Brünnhilde is concerned.

Jim Dunphy

Jun 2, 2002, 1:56:21 PM6/2/02
Derrick Everett <k4u64...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2002.06.02.13...@sneakemail.com>...

> On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 12:05:40 +0200, Nikolaos Tavridis wrote:
>

> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > Looking for a Walküre recording. Any recoommendations?
> >

> The obvious candidates include (in order of my own preference):

[lots of excellent choices snipped]

> * c. Leinsdorf, live in Boston 17.02.1940. With Lauritz Melchior,
> Marjorie Lawrence, Kirsten Flagstad, Julius Huehn, Emanuel List and Karin
> Branzell. I have this on a Walhall set.

This set is really great. I have the Walhall set also, another defunct
label I think. And for those who might worry about infamous Met cuts,
Leinsdorf doesn't take any. Perhaps it might be available on another
label? Naxos maybe?

Jim Dunphy

Matthew B. Tepper

Jun 2, 2002, 2:01:13 PM6/2/02
jimdw...@yahoo.com (Jim Dunphy) wrote in

> Derrick Everett <k4u64...@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> * c. Leinsdorf, live in Boston 17.02.1940. With Lauritz Melchior,
>> Marjorie Lawrence, Kirsten Flagstad, Julius Huehn, Emanuel List and
>> Karin Branzell. I have this on a Walhall set.
>
> This set is really great. I have the Walhall set also, another defunct
> label I think. And for those who might worry about infamous Met cuts,
> Leinsdorf doesn't take any. Perhaps it might be available on another
> label? Naxos maybe?

Arkadia GA2015. (But I have the Walhall issue.)

Top 3 worst UK exports: Mad-cow; Foot-and-mouth; Charlotte Church

David7Gable

Jun 2, 2002, 3:33:51 PM6/2/02

Derrick Everett wrote:

>Most of the remaining commercially-produced, stereo recordings issued in
>recent decades are best passed over in silence.

But not Boulez's. It's magnificently played and stunningly conducted by a
consummate Wagnerian who is deeply responsive to the constantly varying ebb and
flow of Wagner's supple continuum. Boulez's performance may be short on
chiaroscuro, but, as if in recompense, it's a triumph of sheer sound, being the
most radiant, clean, and lucid account of the piece you'll ever hear. There's
no use pretending Boulez has Frida Leider or Helen Traubel as Brünnhilde, but
Gwyneth Jones is much better suited to the Walküre Brünnhilde than she is to
the Siegfried or Götterdämmerung, where her sustained high notes are especially
trying as they flap like torn flags in the wind. To the extent you can listen
beyond her well worn voice, she turns in a ferociously committed and involving
performance. As sheer voice, the rest of the cast is much better. The
Siegmund, Sieglinde, and Wotan all have voices of approximately the right
weight for their roles. But Boulez and the Bayreuth Orchestra are the main
reasons for investigating this set.

-david gable

Stephen W. Worth

Jun 3, 2002, 3:53:12 AM6/3/02
In article <bfrjfukbhj0sa0rhp...@4ax.com>, Nikolaos Tavridis
<mailnew...@tavridis.com> wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Looking for a Walküre recording. Any recoommendations?

I am going to suggest a version that most people probably
wouldn't... Goodall's "The Valkyrie" with the English National
Opera. The reason most people wouldn't suggest it is because
it is in English, but Andrew Porter's translation is excellent.
Hearing it in English opened my eyes about the Act 2 scenes
with Wotan, Brunnhilde and Fricka. The whole cycle hinges on
that act. I find myself going back to this version more than
any other because of the acting. It goes beyond just being
music and becomes an effective drama.

For more traditional recommendations, you can't go wrong with
Solti or Bohm. For a video version, Boulez is great. If you
want to have a digital recording, I would recommend Barenboim.
I haven't heard Sawallisch's live Ring, but if it is as good
as his Meistersinger, it would be a top choice too.

Hope this helps...

See ya
Steve

CARTOONY JAZZ! British Swing / 20's Dance Bands
Great music from original 78s. Download FREE
MP3 samples: http://www.vintageip.com/records

Helmut Fischer

Jun 3, 2002, 4:51:21 AM6/3/02
[...]

Peter

Jun 2, 2002, 10:29:12 PM6/2/02
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > Looking for a Walküre recording. Any recommendations?

I am truly surprised that no one recommended the Leinsdorf led Walkuere with
Vickers, Nilsson, London, and Gorr, originally on Soria Series RCA LP, but now
available on Decca CD.

gerberk

Jun 3, 2002, 10:10:43 AM6/3/02

gerberk

Jun 3, 2002, 10:19:53 AM6/3/02
http://www.musicweb.force9.co.uk/music/classrev/2001/Jan01/Wagner_Walkure.ht

Nikolaos Tavridis heeft geschreven in bericht ...

gerberk

Jun 3, 2002, 10:26:05 AM6/3/02

GRNDPADAVE

Jun 3, 2002, 10:33:48 AM6/3/02
My two favorite recordings of WALKUERE are:

(1) Furtwaengler's only studio RING opera. The singers are Moedl, Suthaus,
Rysanek, Frantz, Frick. This is on EMI if it is still available;

(2) Leinsdorf with Nilsson, Vickers, Brouwenstijn, London, Ward. This is a
youthful, almost athletic performance. It was issued by RCA. I have it on
Lyrica.

What a wonderful opera this is -- colorful, brooding, joyous and deeply moving!

==G/P Dave

Matthew B. Tepper

Jun 3, 2002, 10:41:01 AM6/3/02

Mitchell Kaufman

Jun 3, 2002, 11:55:06 AM6/3/02
Derrick Everett <k4u64...@sneakemail.com> wrote:

> * c. Böhm, live at the 1967 Bayreuther Festspiele, recently remastered on
> Philips 464 751-2. With James King, Leonie Rysanek, Birgit Nilsson, Theo
> Adam, Gerd Nienstedt and Annelies Burmeister.

I like it for sheer enthusiasm, but it's not exactly the deepest, most
subtle, or most accurate of readings. "Blatant" might be the right
word--Boehm's is a slash-and-burn approach. King *is* in better voice
than for Solti. (And he's really quite impressive--you can hear what all
the fuss was about; sadly we don't have anyone like him today.)

BTW, I haven't heard the newest Philips issue, but my understanding is
that it hasn't been remastered.

> * c. Solti, Vienna, from the first complete studio-recorded "Ring", on
> Decca/London 414 105-2. This was the last part of the cycle to be
> recorded, in 1965. With James King, Regine Crespin, Birgit Nilsson, Hans
> Hotter, Gottlob Frick and Christa Ludwig.

The weakest of the Solti Ring operas--Hotter is barely functional
(though I'd rather hear him than James Morris on his best day)--but
worthwhile in its own right (especially for the sound--this one comes up
the least badly of any of the Solti installments on CD)

> * c. Karajan, issued 1967 on DGG 457 785-2. With Jon Vickers, Gundula
> Janowitz, Regine Crespin, Thomas Stewart, Martti Talvela and Josephine
> Veasey.

It's got its points: orchestral playing of almost otherworldly
refinement and beauty (if less rich and sumptuous than Solti's VPO, at
least as recorded), and a mostly attractive if not always suitable cast.
Crespin makes for a unique Bruennhilde, though after hearing her on the
Solti, you're constantly thinking how much more appropriate her gifts
were for Sieglinde. Vickers, encouraged no doubt by Karajan, is at his
most mannered, crooning all over the place (you just wish he'd shut up
and sing). Still, even at his most oddball, by virtue of voice alone
he's the best post-Melchior Siegmund. Janowitz is simply all wrong,
though she makes a valiant attempt. (All that nonsense about Karajan's
"chamber Ring" might've started with the likes of F-D as the Rheingold
Wotan and Janowitz's Sieglinde.)

> * c. Furtwängler, Vienna on EMI 63045-2. Recorded in 1954, this was the
> first complete, integral "Walküre" to be issued as a commercial
> recording. With Ludwig Suthaus, Leonie Rysanek, Martha Mödl, Ferdinand
> Frantz, Gottlob Frick and Margarete Klose.

It's lovely, but I'm not a Moedl fan, so I gravitate toward the 1950
Scala performance, with Flagstad still in reasonably high schrei. It's
got its rough and ready qualities (particularly orchestrally), but
Frantz (even moreso than later) is sonorous and Treptow and
Konetzni...well, you can't have everything. The third act is
mind-boggling in its theatricality and general level of excitement.

If I could take only one Walkuere with me to the proverbial desert
island, this would be it.

Among studio recordings, Leinsdorf's also deserves more than a mention
(considering it preserves the only studio pairing of Nilsson and
Vickers, with the latter much more straightforward than for Karajan),
but it won't provide anywhere near the spinal chills of Furtwaengler/
Scala. And don't forget old Met and Covent Garden snippets from the '30s
and of course the Lehmann/Melchior/List/Walter Act I.

MK

Derrick Everett

Jun 3, 2002, 12:21:23 PM6/3/02

I confess to not being familiar with the Leinsdorf studio "Walküre". I
take note however of Dr. Cowan's statement in another thread (Rita Gorr)
that this recording is indispensable.

Derrick Everett

Jun 3, 2002, 12:39:12 PM6/3/02
On Mon, 03 Jun 2002 17:55:06 +0200, Mitchell Kaufman contributed the
following:

> Derrick Everett <k4u64...@sneakemail.com> wrote:
>
>> * c. Böhm, live at the 1967 Bayreuther Festspiele, recently remastered
>> on Philips 464 751-2. With James King, Leonie Rysanek, Birgit
>> Nilsson, Theo Adam, Gerd Nienstedt and Annelies Burmeister.
>
> I like it for sheer enthusiasm, but it's not exactly the deepest, most
> subtle, or most accurate of readings. "Blatant" might be the right
> word--Boehm's is a slash-and-burn approach. King *is* in better voice
> than for Solti. (And he's really quite impressive--you can hear what all
> the fuss was about; sadly we don't have anyone like him today.)
>
> BTW, I haven't heard the newest Philips issue, but my understanding is
> that it hasn't been remastered.

The booklet doesn't tell us in so many words, only that "the famous
Philips sound has been further enhanced by the use of the latest 96kHz,
24-bit technology". Whatever that means!

>> * c. Solti, Vienna, from the first complete studio-recorded "Ring", on
>> Decca/London 414 105-2. This was the last part of the cycle to be
>> recorded, in 1965. With James King, Regine Crespin, Birgit Nilsson,
>> Hans Hotter, Gottlob Frick and Christa Ludwig.
>
> The weakest of the Solti Ring operas--Hotter is barely functional
> (though I'd rather hear him than James Morris on his best day)--but
> worthwhile in its own right (especially for the sound--this one comes up
> the least badly of any of the Solti installments on CD)

I agree that Hotter, who gets full marks for interpretation, was past his
peak and indeed rather wobbly by 1965. On balance however this was a
strong cast.

>> * c. Karajan, issued 1967 on DGG 457 785-2. With Jon Vickers, Gundula
>> Janowitz, Regine Crespin, Thomas Stewart, Martti Talvela and Josephine
>> Veasey.
>
> It's got its points: orchestral playing of almost otherworldly
> refinement and beauty (if less rich and sumptuous than Solti's VPO, at
> least as recorded), and a mostly attractive if not always suitable cast.
> Crespin makes for a unique Bruennhilde, though after hearing her on the
> Solti, you're constantly thinking how much more appropriate her gifts
> were for Sieglinde. Vickers, encouraged no doubt by Karajan, is at his
> most mannered, crooning all over the place (you just wish he'd shut up
> and sing). Still, even at his most oddball, by virtue of voice alone
> he's the best post-Melchior Siegmund.

Where Jon Vickers is concerned, either you like his singing or you don't;
there seems to be no middle ground. As one of those who do like it, I
found that it took me a while to warm to Janowitz, with her distinctively
girlish voice. They made a distinctive pair of Volsung twins!

>> * c. Furtwängler, Vienna on EMI 63045-2. Recorded in 1954, this was
>> the first complete, integral "Walküre" to be issued as a commercial
>> recording. With Ludwig Suthaus, Leonie Rysanek, Martha Mödl, Ferdinand
>> Frantz, Gottlob Frick and Margarete Klose.
>
> It's lovely, but I'm not a Moedl fan, so I gravitate toward the 1950
> Scala performance, with Flagstad still in reasonably high schrei. It's
> got its rough and ready qualities (particularly orchestrally), but
> Frantz (even moreso than later) is sonorous and Treptow and
> Konetzni...well, you can't have everything. The third act is
> mind-boggling in its theatricality and general level of excitement.
>
> If I could take only one Walkuere with me to the proverbial desert
> island, this would be it.
>
> Among studio recordings, Leinsdorf's also deserves more than a mention
> (considering it preserves the only studio pairing of Nilsson and
> Vickers, with the latter much more straightforward than for Karajan),
> but it won't provide anywhere near the spinal chills of Furtwaengler/
> Scala. And don't forget old Met and Covent Garden snippets from the '30s
> and of course the Lehmann/Melchior/List/Walter Act I.

Indeed. If one were to judge by Brünnhilde alone (and she is, after all,
the Valkyrie of the title!) then any recording of this opera with Leider,
Flagstad or Nilsson in the role would be near the top of my list.