Interview with Marcelo Alvarez

La Donna Mobile

Jun 3, 2006, 10:30:05 PM6/3/06

Stephen Jay-Taylor

Jun 3, 2006, 11:07:45 PM6/3/06
Not half as mad as Morticia, who's now calmly announced, with still a week
to go, that she's rehearsed the new "Tosca" quite enough, and told the
spluttering wuss conductor - when he made some token protest - that since
they'd filmed it together some five years ago, if he wanted any particulars
about her timing and phrasing, to kindly consult the DVD.

You couldn't make this sort of behaviour up.

La Kent, meanwhile, grey with fatigue and psychosomatic illness, is telling
everyone within earshot that it'll be a catastrophe, and that working at the
ROH has been the worst experience of his professional life, never to be
repeated.

Vedremo, carissimi

SJT, in bocca lupa

shir...@hotmail.com

Jun 4, 2006, 1:55:08 AM6/4/06

La Donna Mobile wrote:
> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1789747,00.html
>

> Mad. Really quite mad.

Obviously not a man who has trouble finding the energy to gnaw through
the straps every morning. But I guess you need that kind of energy to
get through a whole opera. I just wouldn't really want to interview him
until he'd tired himself out, a little.

Melissa

Mrs T xx

Jun 4, 2006, 3:55:12 AM6/4/06

Stephen Jay-Taylor wrote:
> Not half as mad as Morticia, who's now calmly announced, with still a week
> to go, that she's rehearsed the new "Tosca" quite enough, and told the
> spluttering wuss conductor - when he made some token protest - that since
> they'd filmed it together some five years ago, if he wanted any particulars
> about her timing and phrasing, to kindly consult the DVD.
>
> You couldn't make this sort of behaviour up.

You are joking? But Morticia missed the first week of rehearsals, and
now she's bunking off the last week too???

Can't wait for the dress rehearsal next Saturday. Will be interesting
to see if Angela actually turns up for it or lets her understudy go on.

Loved the Alvarez interview. The guy sounds stark raving bonkers, I'm
liking him more and more.........

Mrs T xx

Mrs Jones

Jun 4, 2006, 7:13:11 AM6/4/06
What a wonderful history he has! How brave/mad was that to just uproot
himself and head off to Italy to follow a dream?All credit to him, we
need more people with such passion to brighten us all up. One can only
imagine what rehearsals must have been like with three such contrasting
personalities involved. I can't wait to see this production.

Mrs J x

Transy...@webtv.net

Jun 9, 2006, 1:23:29 PM6/9/06
I know people don't usually report on dress rehearsals but in this case
I hope you will make an exception and tell us a bit about it.

I am set to fly in from the U.S. for the June 23 and 26 performances -
will I have something to worry about?

Kay