Songs About Masturbation

Joel Furr

Apr 11, 1994, 1:50:56 PM4/11/94
In article <2o3163$j...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,
Ian Williams <ecs...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
>Hey, speaking of the Divinyls, my friends and I are going to make a mix
>tape called "Great Songs About Masturbation" ... ones that I can think of:
>
>"Turning Japanese" - The Vapours
>"She-Bop" - Cyndi Lauper
>"Sometimes a Fantasy" - Billy Joel
>"I Touch Myself" - the DiVinyls

This is a really stupid thread for alt.folklore.urban, but that being
said, don't forget "My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry.

Joel "Followups to rec.music.misc" Furr

James Lynch

Apr 11, 1994, 11:39:22 PM4/11/94

And also Elvis Costello's "The Beat", the Who's "Pictures of Lily", and
hmm in Greil Marcus's *Stranded*, Dave Marsh wrote an essay on songs
about masturbation. He's listed a few more there, but I can't think of
them.
James

Vincent DeHart

Apr 12, 1994, 12:42:22 PM4/12/94

And, in my opinion, the best and most oblique, "Pump It Up" by Elvis
Costello.
--
vmd

David Watson

Apr 12, 1994, 2:17:18 PM4/12/94

The Who--"Pictures of Lily"
Elvis Costello--"The Beat", "Pump it Up"
Billy Joel--"Captain Jack"
Fleetwood Mac--"Rattlesnake Shake"
GG Allin--"I Wanna Fuck Myself"
The Cramps--"Jackyard Backoff"
Ivor Biggun--"The Winker's Song"
The Everly Brothers--"All I Have to Do is Dream"
Crispin Hellion Glover--"Auto-Manipulator"

There's gotta be more than that.
--
Dave Watson, Severed Heads Liberation Front (Re-release the _Stretcher_ EP!)
Frezier Balzoff (Ottawa), Ontario, Canada Email-...@Freenet.carleton.ca

Scott Clark

Apr 12, 1994, 2:57:19 PM4/12/94
In article <2oc2m0$f...@news.duke.edu>, jf...@acpub.duke.edu (Joel Furr)
wrote:

> In article <2o3163$j...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,
> Ian Williams <ecs...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
> >Hey, speaking of the Divinyls, my friends and I are going to make a mix
> >tape called "Great Songs About Masturbation" ... ones that I can think of:
> >
> >"Turning Japanese" - The Vapours
> >"She-Bop" - Cyndi Lauper
> >"Sometimes a Fantasy" - Billy Joel
> >"I Touch Myself" - the DiVinyls

"Rattlesnake Shake" - Fleetwood Mac

Dave Mooney

Apr 12, 1994, 3:06:29 PM4/12/94

Don't forget "Blinded By The Light" (Manfred Mann version 'cause it's *way*
better) or "The Stroke" by Billy Squier. Q Magazine had a list of them about
a year ago.

dave

--
Dave Mooney d...@vnet.ibm.com
"I know you must be there because people stop to talk to you."

Brian Nunes

Apr 12, 1994, 4:09:18 PM4/12/94
On 11 Apr 1994 17:50:56 GMT Joel Furr (jf...@acpub.duke.edu) wrote:
> In article <2o3163$j...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,
> Ian Williams <ecs...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
> >Hey, speaking of the Divinyls, my friends and I are going to make a mix
> >tape called "Great Songs About Masturbation" ... ones that I can think of:
> >
> >"Turning Japanese" - The Vapours
> >"She-Bop" - Cyndi Lauper
> >"Sometimes a Fantasy" - Billy Joel
> >"I Touch Myself" - the DiVinyls

I can't believe that nobody mentioned Peter Gabriel's
"Shock the Monkey"!!!

--
=Brian Nunes=*-*-*-*-*-* bnu...@netcom.com -*-*-1-213-656-9117
7985 Santa Monica Blvd. #109-473, West Hollywood, CA 90046-5112

David Charlap

Apr 12, 1994, 5:26:38 PM4/12/94

How about the song "Masturbation" from the musical "Hair"?

--
David Charlap | The contents of this message are not the opinions of
da...@visix.com | Visix Software, or of anyone besides myself.

Kenneth C. Jenks

Apr 12, 1994, 5:44:15 PM4/12/94
Joel Furr writes

Nonsense! No thread is too stupid for AFU!

"Imaginary Lover" - The Alan Parsons Project
"Hand Jive" - I forget the original group. Great tune.

I know Madonna has a single where she had some, er, unusual
interpretive dance steps in the video, but I fergit the name.

-- Ken Jenks, NASA/JSC/SD5, Space Biomedical Research Institute
kje...@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov (713) 483-4368

"Fire streaks the heavens; battle has begun."
-- Klingon "Lullaby"

James Lynch

Apr 12, 1994, 10:18:21 PM4/12/94

Uhh, "All I Have to do is Dream" is a masturbation tune? Not exactly a
hopeless romantic, are you?
James

Jeff Carlock

Apr 13, 1994, 2:15:31 AM4/13/94
And, reaching back even further into pop-music archaeology, how about
Everly Bros. "All I Have to do is Dream", Bobby Darrin's "Dream Lover",
& possibly Roy Orbison's "Dream Baby"??

Scott Clark

Apr 12, 1994, 2:56:16 PM4/12/94
wrote:

> In article <2o3163$j...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,
> Ian Williams <ecs...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
> >Hey, speaking of the Divinyls, my friends and I are going to make a mix
> >tape called "Great Songs About Masturbation" ... ones that I can think of:
> >
> >"Turning Japanese" - The Vapours
> >"She-Bop" - Cyndi Lauper
> >"Sometimes a Fantasy" - Billy Joel
> >"I Touch Myself" - the DiVinyls

"Rosie" - Jackson Browne

Steve Ramirez~

Apr 12, 1994, 7:25:45 PM4/12/94
In article <Co5s4...@freenet.carleton.ca> aj...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (David Watson) writes:

>In a previous article, jf...@acpub.duke.edu (Joel Furr) says:
>
>>In article <2o3163$j...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,
>>Ian Williams <ecs...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
>>>"Turning Japanese" - The Vapours
>>>"She-Bop" - Cyndi Lauper
>>>"Sometimes a Fantasy" - Billy Joel
>>>"I Touch Myself" - the DiVinyls
>
>The Who--"Pictures of Lily"
>Elvis Costello--"The Beat", "Pump it Up"
>Billy Joel--"Captain Jack"
>Fleetwood Mac--"Rattlesnake Shake"
>GG Allin--"I Wanna Fuck Myself"
>The Cramps--"Jackyard Backoff"
>Ivor Biggun--"The Winker's Song"
>The Everly Brothers--"All I Have to Do is Dream"
>Crispin Hellion Glover--"Auto-Manipulator"
>
>There's gotta be more than that.
>--

Killer Pussy - "Mama's Little Angel Plays Pocket Pool"
Elvis Costello - "Mystery Dance"

one by Prince, can't remember the name.
there's GOTTA be one by Madonna....
--
Steve Ramirez * AETS Physical CAD * Intel Corporation, Chandler, AZ
sram...@sedona.intel.com * ph:(602)-554-2405 * fax:(602)-554-7830

Orion

Apr 13, 1994, 11:37:54 AM4/13/94
>---------------------+

There was a mid-80's song about smoking dope and masturbating that I heard
yesterday, but I can't remember the artist or name of the song! :(
One of the lyrics was, "Where did my inspiration go? I'm smokin' my
motivation... When masturbation's lost its fun, you're fucking lonely."

Oh great, and now I've got the tune stuck in my head, having typed
the lyric. Song title/artist coming to a newsreader near you soon!

-o

Erik ]hlin

Apr 13, 1994, 11:53:09 AM4/13/94

Steve Mayer

Apr 13, 1994, 1:42:49 PM4/13/94
Pictures of Lily," by The Who. Ah, kids today, they jist ain't got no
sense of history.

Jeff Greenstein

Apr 13, 1994, 1:42:59 PM4/13/94
In article <2ofalp$c...@chnews.intel.com>, sram...@fission.intel.com (Steve
Ramirez~) wrote:

> one by Prince, can't remember the name.

That would be "Darling Nikki".

-- Jeff

+--------------------------+
| Jeff Greenstein |
| Internet: s...@netcom.com |
| CompuServe: 70404,1553 |
+--------------------------+

Robert W. Northcott

Apr 13, 1994, 1:51:50 PM4/13/94
In article <2oerfl$o...@tornews.torolab.ibm.com> d...@vnet.ibm.com (Dave Mooney) writes:
>In <2oc2m0$f...@news.duke.edu>, jf...@acpub.duke.edu (Joel Furr) writes:
>> In article <2o3163$j...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>, Ian Williams <ecs...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
>
>Don't forget "Blinded By The Light" (Manfred Mann version 'cause it's *way*
>better) or "The Stroke" by Billy Squier. Q Magazine had a list of them about

The Stroke is not about masturbation. It is about the mechanics of the
music business.

Once again I mention "Girl of My Dreams" by Bram Tschiacovsky.

Bob
nort...@med.unc.edu

David S. Broudy

Apr 13, 1994, 3:02:05 PM4/13/94
In article <2oerfl$o...@tornews.torolab.ibm.com>
d...@vnet.ibm.com (Dave Mooney) writes:

> >> "Turning Japanese" - The Vapours

This is a wanking tune?

------------
bro...@mizar.usc.edu
"My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot."
--Ashleigh Brilliant

Bob Michael

Apr 13, 1994, 3:29:26 PM4/13/94
In article <2oc2m0$f...@news.duke.edu> Joel Furr, jf...@acpub.duke.edu
writes:

> >Hey, speaking of the Divinyls, my friends and I are going to make a
mix
> >tape called "Great Songs About Masturbation" ... ones that I can think
of:

"Imaginary Lover" by Atlanta Rhythm Section
Message has been deleted

Mike Rogers

Apr 13, 1994, 5:26:59 PM4/13/94
<MNIC...@MIAMIU.BITNET> writes:
>What about "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes?

Orgasm Addict, The Buzzcocks
--
Mike Rogers,#3,44Westland##EveryoneHasTheRightToFreedomOfOpinionAndExpressionT
Row,Dublin2,Ireland Perl ##hisRightIncludesFreedomToHoldOpinionsWithoutInterfe

b...@george.uh.edu

Apr 13, 1994, 5:49:47 PM4/13/94
In article <smayerCo...@netcom.com>, sma...@netcom.com
(Steve Mayer) writes:

> Pictures of Lily," by The Who. Ah, kids today, they jist ain't got no
>sense of history.

Agreed !!!!

Not nearly as old but has anyone mentioned

"Dancing with Myself" by Billy Idol ?????

Ethan Alpert

Apr 13, 1994, 6:53:48 PM4/13/94
In article <Co7su...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> wlam...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Chr!$ L!) writes:

>In article <2oh3ki$q...@illuminati.io.com> or...@illuminati.io.com (Orion) writes:
>>>
>>One of the lyrics was, "Where did my inspiration go? I'm smokin' my
>>motivation... When masturbation's lost its fun, you're fucking lonely."

This is sort of right. It goes more like:

"I've got no motivation
Where is my motivation
No time for motivation
Smoking is my insparation"

>>Oh great, and now I've got the tune stuck in my head, having typed
>>the lyric. Song title/artist coming to a newsreader near you soon!
>

>That's not mid-80's, that's the new one from the Berkeley, Ca. band
>Green Day. "Longview" is the name and it ROCKS!!

The whole damn album ROCKS!!!! Dookie is the name of the album, BUY IT NOW!!!.
Other great songs on the album are "Basket Case", "Burnout", "She" and "Chump."
I saw these guys in Denver two weeks ago for $6, can you believe it!
Great MOSH pit too!! I was also thinking that "Longview" could be about
masturbation. The first part of the corus sort of suggests it:

"Bite my lip and close my eyes
Take me away to paradise
I'm so damned bored I'm going blind
and I smell like shit"

There is another part but I can't remember the exact lyrics but
they basicly say something about "quit or I'll go blind." Isn't this
some kind of myth wrt masturbation that school children pass along?

Also the verse:

"I feel like a dog in heat
barred indoors from the summer street" <-- not a pretty metaphor :)

I'll post all of the lyrics tomorrow and you all can judge for yourselves.

>--
> ->>>Chri$ L!...someone YOU should know<<<------------------------------------

-e

Phil Gustafson

Apr 13, 1994, 9:43:09 PM4/13/94
In article <deha...@utkvm1.utk.edu>,

Vincent DeHart <deh...@utkvm1.utk.edu> wrote:
>>This is a really stupid thread for alt.folklore.urban, but that being
>>said, don't forget "My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry.
>
>And, in my opinion, the best and most oblique, "Pump It Up" by Elvis
>Costello.
>--

Back at the Institute, we had an old jukebox with twelve or so 78's
we played over and over. One was about "The Old Masturbater on the
Far-Away Hill".

Phil "At least after a few thousand playings" Gustafson

Rev. Ilsa VanHook

Apr 14, 1994, 12:11:07 AM4/14/94
'Five Knuckle Shuffle' and 'Something Came Over Me' by Throbbing Gristle.

Brian Scearce

Apr 14, 1994, 1:10:51 AM4/14/94
"Rubber Girl", by Pukka Orchestra (I think).

Brian "this is just the kind of thread Joel objects to" Scearce
--
Brian Scearce b...@sector7g.eng.sun.com
The above does not necessarily represent Sun policy.

Bryan McGuire

Apr 14, 1994, 12:55:43 AM4/14/94
Darling Nicky by Prince and the Revolution... That one was blatant!

Jeff Greenstein

Apr 13, 1994, 1:43:56 PM4/13/94
In article <Co60w...@visix.com>, da...@visix.com (David Charlap) wrote:

> How about the song "Masturbation" from the musical "Hair"?

Heathen! That song is actually called "Sodomy" (not that I'm remotely
interested in starting a thread about *that*).

Ethan Alpert

Apr 14, 1994, 11:29:31 AM4/14/94
In article <2oht5s$2...@chiquita.scd.ucar.edu> et...@ncar.ucar.edu (Ethan Alpert) writes:

>I'll post all of the lyrics tomorrow and you all can judge for yourselves.

I don't think there is any doubt about what this song is about.

Title: "Long View"
Album: "Dookie"
Group: Green Day
RecCo: Reprise Records

Sit around and watch the
tube but, nothings on
Change the channels for
an hour or two
Twiddle my thumbs just for
a bit
I'm sick of all the same
old shit
In a house with unlocked
doors
And I'm fucking lazy

Corus:

Bite my lip and close my eyes
Take me away to paradise

I'm so damn bored I'm
going blind!!!
And I smell like shit

Peel me off this velcro seat
and get me moving
I sure as hell can't do
it by myself
I'm feeling like a
dog in heat
Barred indoors from the
summer street
I locked the door to
my own cell
And I lost the key

<Corus>

I got no motivation

Where is my motivation
No time for motivation

Smoking is my inspiration

Sit arround and watch the
phone but no ones calling
Call me pathetic, call me
what you will
My mother says to get a job
But she don't like the
one she's got

When masturbation's lost
its fun

You're fucking breaking

Bite my lip and close my eyes
Take me away to paradise

I'm so damn bored
I'm going blind
And loneliness has to suffice

Bite my lip and close my eyes

Slipping away to paradise
Some say, "Quit or I'll go blind"
But its just a myth

ho...@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

Apr 14, 1994, 11:41:49 AM4/14/94

Don't forget "do Me Baby" from Prince's CONTROVERSY lp.

She *doesn't* do him, so he has to do himself - complete with
sound effects - but she does stick around to watch.

Articulate Mandible

Apr 14, 1994, 12:43:07 PM4/14/94
b...@Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Scearce) writes:

>Brian "this is just the kind of thread Joel objects to" Scearce

Yeah, like so many others. a.f.sub... needs something to spice it up -
things are reeeel dull ovah theyah.
--

Articulate Mandible

"Distinguishing between political parties on a basis of their respect for
rights is rather like distinguishing between motorcycle gangs on a basis
of their taste in beer." Doug Caprette

Brian Upton

Apr 14, 1994, 1:30:59 PM4/14/94
In article <Co60w...@visix.com>,
da...@visix.com (David Charlap) writes:

|> How about the song "Masturbation" from the musical "Hair"?

"Sodomy, fellatio, cunnilingus, pederasty --
Father, why do these words sound so nasty?
Masturbation ... can be funnnnnn.
Join the holy orgy, Kama Sutra, everyoneeee."

I learned so much from my older sisers' record collection ... .

--
+-----------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Brian Upton | "E is for Ernest who choked on a peach." |

R S Rodgers

Apr 14, 1994, 1:35:56 PM4/14/94
In article <bmlCo9...@netcom.com>, Brian Leibowitz <b...@netcom.com> wrote:

>>Back at the Institute, we had an old jukebox with twelve or so 78's
>>we played over and over. One was about "The Old Masturbater on the
>>Far-Away Hill".

"Turning Japanese" was about masturbating, but most people missed
it.

>The Cow Milking Machine - (did you ever have your weinie in a
>Cow Milking Machine, it's a pleasure you will treasure...It's enough
>to make you leave the city and live on a farm) - Noah Reign

Don't milking machines work by administering low-grade electrical
shocks?

--
Be sure to vote *YES* on rec.music.menudo!

Sheilagh M.B.E. O'Hare

Apr 14, 1994, 4:21:08 PM4/14/94
Brian Nunes <bnu...@netcom.com> wrote:
>"Shock the Monkey"!!!

Maybe a song "spank the monkey" ..but *shock* the monkey was about cocaine
addiction, and his efforts to get that monkey off his back.. twisted video,
as all of his are..

kurt johnson

Apr 14, 1994, 4:16:51 PM4/14/94
David Watson (aj...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:

[...]

: --

For some reason I have it in my head that "Blister in the sun" by the
violent femmes is a song that would fit this category!

bill nelson

X1...@vm1.cc.uakron.edu

Apr 14, 1994, 7:47:27 PM4/14/94
In article <2oh3ki$q...@illuminati.io.com>
or...@illuminati.io.com (Orion) writes:

The song's called Longview by Green Day. It's pretty new, too.

Keith Ammann

Apr 14, 1994, 8:07:38 PM4/14/94

In a previous article, mar...@bashful.cc.utexas.edu (Sheilagh M.B.E. O'Hare) says:

>Brian Nunes <bnu...@netcom.com> wrote:
>>"Shock the Monkey"!!!
>
>Maybe a song "spank the monkey" ..but *shock* the monkey was about cocaine
>addiction, and his efforts to get that monkey off his back..

Are you sure about that? I always thought it was along the lines of "We
Do What We're Told," another one of his Skinnerian fantasies about people
electrocuting each other.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Keith Ammann is ::

Elson R. Trinidad

Apr 14, 1994, 8:57:43 PM4/14/94
In article <2ofkpd$o...@solaris.cc.vt.edu> ly...@corona.math.vt.edu (James Lynch) writes:

>Uhh, "All I Have to do is Dream" is a masturbation tune? Not exactly a
>hopeless romantic, are you?
> James

Actually _any_ song can be considered a song about masturbation, if you
look at it a certain way.

Brian The Ratt

Apr 14, 1994, 11:12:55 PM4/14/94
A disc came into my college radio station a few months ago, by a band called
the "Weazles". Had a track on it called "Masturbation" don't know if it
can be considered a "GREAT" song but it definately good for a laugh and fits,
considering the name of the album was "WACKIN' WILD"

* Brian "The Ratt" Surratt * BPS...@PSUVM.PSU.EDU * Gangrel for hire *
* 'I think I'd like to send a message to the young people of America: *
* We shall continue to abuse our position and fuck up the mainstream' - Bono *
******* Spelling mistakes are not my fault. My computer can't spell *********

Richard Detweiler

Apr 15, 1994, 12:14:57 AM4/15/94
Howze about "Rosie" by Jackson Browne and "Jamaica Jerk-off" from Elton
John...

Brian Leibowitz

Apr 14, 1994, 12:27:32 PM4/14/94

>Back at the Institute, we had an old jukebox with twelve or so 78's
>we played over and over. One was about "The Old Masturbater on the
>Far-Away Hill".

I have to add two that I actually played on the radio (late one night
on the night before the stricter FCC went into effect):

The Cow Milking Machine - (did you ever have your weinie in a
Cow Milking Machine, it's a pleasure you will treasure...It's enough
to make you leave the city and live on a farm) - Noah Reign

The Ball of Kerrymuir (by Robert Burns) - Jim Croce - the verse about
Mary McPherson and the verse about the Village Postman (does the mailbox)

-=-=-=
also, from the Batty Brian Vaults:

Touch yourself - Barnes and Barnes (on the Worse than Slime collection)

My Ding-a-ling - Dave Bartholomew (the original version - but he wants
the girl next door to play with it.)

Songs of our Times (first one) - (uncredited-on The Great Contest)

Brian "I can never resist song topic lists"

George H. Wilson

Apr 15, 1994, 3:12:45 AM4/15/94
There is a line in "Captain Jack" by Billy Joel.

Also, what are the lines in "Turning Japanese" and "Sometimes a Fanatasy" I
never caught the reference from the Vapors and never listened to "Sometimes a
fantasy"?
Truth passes through three stages. First, it is
ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed Jor-Jay
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. George H. Wilson

George H. Wilson

Apr 15, 1994, 3:19:54 AM4/15/94
Just thought of another one: "Rosie" off Running on Empty by Jackson Brown.

As I recall from memory, the reference in the lyrics occurs after he talks
about failing to interest some girl he meets: "Rosie your all right, you wear
my ring. When I hold you tight, Rosie that's my thing. When I turn out the
light, I got to hand it to me. Looks like it's me and you again tonight,

CHE STUD

Apr 15, 1994, 3:22:48 AM4/15/94
aj...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA writes:

> In a previous article, jf...@acpub.duke.edu (Joel Furr) says:
>
> >In article <2o3163$j...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,
> >Ian Williams <ecs...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
> >>Hey, speaking of the Divinyls, my friends and I are going to make a mix
> >>tape called "Great Songs About Masturbation" ... ones that I can think of:
> >>"Turning Japanese" - The Vapours
> >>"She-Bop" - Cyndi Lauper
> >>"Sometimes a Fantasy" - Billy Joel
> >>"I Touch Myself" - the DiVinyls
> >This is a really stupid thread for alt.folklore.urban, but that being
> >said, don't forget "My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry.
> >Joel "Followups to rec.music.misc" Furr
>
> The Who--"Pictures of Lily"
> Elvis Costello--"The Beat", "Pump it Up"
> Billy Joel--"Captain Jack"
> Fleetwood Mac--"Rattlesnake Shake"
> GG Allin--"I Wanna Fuck Myself"
> The Cramps--"Jackyard Backoff"
> Ivor Biggun--"The Winker's Song"
> The Everly Brothers--"All I Have to Do is Dream"
> Crispin Hellion Glover--"Auto-Manipulator"
>
> There's gotta be more than that.
> --

Still haven't seen these mentioned:

Elton John: "Jamaica Jerk-Off"
New Order: "Perfect Kiss" (for the lines "Tonight I should have stayed at
home/playing with my pleasure zone")

*********************************
Chris Fishel * "In the winter, I'm a Buddhist*
University of Virginia * & in the summer I'm a nudist"*
ct...@virginia.edu * -Joe Gould (U. S. poet and *
* translator of the *
* language of the seagulls) *
*********************************

Robin Halligan

Apr 15, 1994, 8:22:49 AM4/15/94
All these songs about Masturbation and no mention of one of my favorites
The Wankers Song and Tha Wankers Paradise
BY IVOR BIGGUN and the Red-Nosed Burglars
and yes they are real songs.

--
sta...@crash.amigans.gen.nz (Robin Halligan)
Amigans Public Access UUCP Node Wanganui New Zealand

"A man that expects to train lobsters to fly in a year is called a lunatic
and is locked up. But a man that thinks people can be turned into angels
by legislation is called a reformer and allowed to walk free"
Mr. Dooly (a fictional barkeeper created by Finley Peter Dunne)

Wilhelm Friedrich Mueller

Apr 15, 1994, 10:06:00 AM4/15/94
Whip it -- Devo ?

rig...@vaxc.stevens-tech.edu

Apr 15, 1994, 10:29:15 AM4/15/94
Don't know if this was mentioned:

The Girls of Porn - Mr. Bungle

Here's a little excerpt-

"The urge is too much to take
All I can think about is playing with myself
It's time to masturbate
I got my hustler and I don't need nothing else"

It gets better, too!

-RIchie

Paul Tomblin

Apr 15, 1994, 11:17:22 AM4/15/94

In article <2ojuts$q...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>,

R S Rodgers <rsro...@wam.umd.edu> wrote:

>>The Cow Milking Machine - (did you ever have your weinie in a
>>Cow Milking Machine, it's a pleasure you will treasure...It's enough
>>to make you leave the city and live on a farm) - Noah Reign
>

> Don't milking machines work by administering low-grade electrical
> shocks?

You're probably thinking of how they collect semen for AI (artificial
insemination). They send a jolt of electricity over the prostate, or
something like that. It's no fun for the bull at ALL.

Milking machines have pnuematic pumps. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's
looked at those things and wondered how the technology could be adapted....

Paul "but it's set for 4 quarts" Tomblin
--
Paul Tomblin (gratuitous Vicki Robinson reference)
"When viewed from the proper perspective, this thread is actually just a bunch

Sara Hively

Apr 15, 1994, 4:35:13 AM4/15/94
Keith Ammann) writes:

>(Sheilagh M.B.E. O'Hare) says:

>>Maybe a song "spank the monkey" ..but *shock* the monkey was about cocaine
>>addiction, and his efforts to get that monkey off his back..

>Are you sure about that? I always thought it was along the lines of "We
>Do What We're Told," another one of his Skinnerian fantasies about people
>electrocuting each other.

Um.. I would swear I read an interview with Peter Gabriel (back in my
completely-obsessed-with-Peter-Gabriel days) in which he claimed that the
song had to do with the impulsive uncontrollable and not terribly pleasant
"monkey" side of _himself_...

Analyses of song lyrics... "But hey man, you know that "Burning Down the
House" is about an LSD trip?" (No! No! Stop!)

Was BF Skinner into electrocution?! My sister-in-law did some time in a
Skinner box as a newborn...

- Sara Hively

John Becker

Apr 15, 1994, 1:27:52 PM4/15/94
Also: "Magic Man" by Heart

Orion

Apr 15, 1994, 1:40:56 PM4/15/94
In article <15APR199...@utkvx.utk.edu>,

Wilhelm Friedrich Mueller <zmue...@utkvx.utk.edu> wrote:
>Whip it -- Devo ?

I'm glad someone remembered Devo! Whip It and a lot of other Devo songs
as well are about masturbation and/or sex.

buzby jonn walter

Apr 15, 1994, 1:46:30 PM4/15/94
The penultimate masturbatory song:

"The Girls of Porn" by Mr. Bungle

"...It's time to masturbate
I got my hustler and I don't need nothing else..."

"My hand gets tired, and my dick gets sore,
But the girls of porn want more...."

Also, check out Fishbone's "Naz-tee May'en"

"When my woman's all alone
And her nasty man can't help
She will use her fingers and her precious time
To get acquainted with herself.."

Karey Ann Pharris

Apr 15, 1994, 2:11:30 PM4/15/94
"Jack U Off" -Prince

Ewan Kirk

Apr 15, 1994, 2:25:14 PM4/15/94

zmue...@utkvx.utk.edu "Wilhelm Friedrich Mueller" writes:

> Whip it -- Devo ?

"Lonesome Tonight" Elvis.

--
--E.

Malcolm Humes

Apr 15, 1994, 2:59:41 PM4/15/94
Crispin Glover's "AutoManipulator" rules!

- malcolm

Alan J Rosenthal

Apr 15, 1994, 3:18:42 PM4/15/94
b...@Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Scearce) writes:
>"Rubber Girl", by Pukka Orchestra (I think).

Ok, if we're going to get into those kinds of songs, don't forget
"Be my girl -- Sally" (title approximate), The Police, Orlandos d'Amour.

>Brian "this is just the kind of thread Joel objects to" Scearce

Alan "good thing he's not the moderator of a.s.g-x or r.m.m" Rosenthal

Brian Kauffman

Apr 15, 1994, 4:55:36 PM4/15/94
> = ca...@cornell.edu (Sara Hively) writes:

>Analyses of song lyrics... "But hey man, you know that "Burning Down the
>House" is about an LSD trip?" (No! No! Stop!)

But hey man, anyone care to analyze "Moon Rocks",
also from Speaking in Tongues?

-Brian

DANIEL AGOSTINHO OLIVEIRA

Apr 15, 1994, 5:54:23 PM4/15/94

tson) writes:

>>In a previous article, jf...@acpub.duke.edu (Joel Furr) says:

>>The Who--"Pictures of Lily"
>>Elvis Costello--"The Beat", "Pump it Up"
>>Billy Joel--"Captain Jack"
>>Fleetwood Mac--"Rattlesnake Shake"
>>GG Allin--"I Wanna Fuck Myself"
>>The Cramps--"Jackyard Backoff"
>>Ivor Biggun--"The Winker's Song"
>>The Everly Brothers--"All I Have to Do is Dream"
>>Crispin Hellion Glover--"Auto-Manipulator"
>>
>>There's gotta be more than that.
>>--
>
>Killer Pussy - "Mama's Little Angel Plays Pocket Pool"
>Elvis Costello - "Mystery Dance"
>
>one by Prince, can't remember the name.
>there's GOTTA be one by Madonna....
Not really, the closest thing I can come up with (Pardon the Pun) is
"Where Life Begins" -Madonna

Blister in the sun- V.Femmes

>--
>Steve Ramirez * AETS Physical CAD * Intel Corporation, Chandler, AZ
>sram...@sedona.intel.com * ph:(602)-554-2405 * fax:(602)-554-7830

"Without the heart, there can be no understanding between the hand and the
mind."
(end of express yourself video)
(the silent film Metropolis)

"Time goes by so slowly for those who wait and those who run seem to have all

Patrick Berry

Apr 15, 1994, 6:54:56 PM4/15/94
In article <CoAHu...@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu>,
CHE STUD <ct...@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU> wrote:

>aj...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA writes:
>> There's gotta be more than that.

Don't forget:
Beautiful SOuth - Tonight I Fancy Myself
Flaming Lips - SHe Don't Use Jelly

--
The Patrick Berry show on KCSC 95.5 Cable FM. Show times: Friday 10pm-2am
(916) 898-6228 Tuesday 8pm-10pm

Liorah Golomb

Apr 15, 1994, 10:04:45 PM4/15/94
sram...@fission.intel.com (Steve Ramirez~) writes:

>Elvis Costello - "Mystery Dance"

You think so? I always thought it was more about, um, young love ...
just off the top of my head:

"Oh I remember when the lights went out
And we were trying to make it look like it was never in doubt
I thought that she knew, and she thought that I knew
So both of us were willing but we didn't know how to do it ..."
-Elvis Costello

-Liorah

--
Liorah Anne Golomb, "The path of my life is strewn
Professional Student with cowpats from the devil's

Liorah Golomb

Apr 15, 1994, 10:14:55 PM4/15/94
bro...@mizar.usc.edu (David S. Broudy) writes:

>This is a wanking tune?

>------------
>bro...@mizar.usc.edu
>"My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot."
>--Ashleigh Brilliant

Yeah, I was going to ask about this too. I must have missed the deeper
meaning when this tune was hot (about 15 years ago). Someone explain please?

DANIEL ADAM ZARRILLI

Apr 15, 1994, 11:02:17 PM4/15/94
>> >"Turning Japanese" - The Vapours
>> >"She-Bop" - Cyndi Lauper
>> >"Sometimes a Fantasy" - Billy Joel
>> >"I Touch Myself" - the DiVinyls
>
>I can't believe that nobody mentioned Peter Gabriel's
>"Shock the Monkey"!!!

Or "Stroke Me!" by Billy Squire for that matter.

Dan
da...@lehigh.edu

Dawn M. Hendricks

Apr 15, 1994, 11:37:54 PM4/15/94
>"Turning Japanese" - The Vapours
>"She-Bop" - Cyndi Lauper
>"Sometimes a Fantasy" - Billy Joel
>"I Touch Myself" - the DiVinyls
>"My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry.
> The Who--"Pictures of Lily"
> Elvis Costello--"The Beat", "Pump it Up"
> Billy Joel--"Captain Jack"
> Fleetwood Mac--"Rattlesnake Shake"
> GG Allin--"I Wanna Fuck Myself"
> The Cramps--"Jackyard Backoff"
> Ivor Biggun--"The Winker's Song"
> The Everly Brothers--"All I Have to Do is Dream"
> Crispin Hellion Glover--"Auto-Manipulator"

"Orgasm Addict" - the Buzzcocks

Ignasi Palou-Rivera

Apr 15, 1994, 5:45:47 PM4/15/94
ab...@freenet2.carleton.ca (Paul Tomblin) writes:

> You're probably thinking of how they collect semen for AI (artificial
> insemination). They send a jolt of electricity over the prostate, or
> something like that. It's no fun for the bull at ALL.

Once I saw on TV how some zoo vets were trying to collect semen from
Barcelona's own albino gorilla "Floquet de Neu", using this technique.
He wasn't having any fun at all, but they want to collect a lot of
semen so it can be used to inseminate some of his own descendants
after he's dead so the probabilities of getting aother albino are
increased.

Ignasi " pretty sick if you ask me" Palou
--

Ignasi Palou-Rivera
Dept of Chemical Engineering U of Wisconsin, Madison

Richard Wills

Apr 16, 1994, 8:19:56 AM4/16/94
Has anybody actually been making a list of all of these, or are we all banking on someone else doing it and posting to the list???? I know I haven't!!!!!
--
Have a nice day,
Richard.

Tel: (44)-793-545272 E-Mail: wil...@aztec.swindon.rtsg.mot.com
Fax: (44)-793-512618

Mary Lacroix

Apr 16, 1994, 11:38:23 AM4/16/94
In article <2onh3t$b...@alpha.epas.utoronto.ca>,

Liorah Golomb <lgo...@epas.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>sram...@fission.intel.com (Steve Ramirez~) writes:
>
>>Elvis Costello - "Mystery Dance"
>
>You think so? I always thought it was more about, um, young love ...
>just off the top of my head:
>
>"Oh I remember when the lights went out
>And we were trying to make it look like it was never in doubt
>I thought that she knew, and she thought that I knew
>So both of us were willing but we didn't know how to do it ..."
> -Elvis Costello
>
>-Liorah

Last verse and chorus:

I was standing under the covers in the middle of the night
Trying to discover my left foot from my right
You can see those pictures, they're in the magazine
What's the use of looking when you don't know what they mean?

Why don't you tell me about the mystery dance?
I want to know about the mystery dance
Why don't you show me
Cause I've tried and I've tried
And I'm still mystified
I can't do it any more and I'm not satisfied

David Watson

Apr 16, 1994, 12:43:51 PM4/16/94

In a previous article, lgo...@epas.utoronto.ca (Liorah Golomb) says:

>bro...@mizar.usc.edu (David S. Broudy) writes:
>>This is a wanking tune?

>Yeah, I was going to ask about this too. I must have missed the deeper
>meaning when this tune was hot (about 15 years ago). Someone explain please?

The lyrics are about a guy obsessing about a woman's picture (to the point
where "I want a doctor to take your picture so I can look at you from
inside as well") and on the LP version (why it got chopped out of the
single, I don't know) he says "I often kiss you when there's no one else
around". I think it's safe to say that there's going to be some goalie
pulling somewhere down the line. I don't have the album in Ottawa w/ me,
so I can't post all the lyrics.
--
Dave Watson, Severed Heads Liberation Front (Re-release the _Stretcher_ EP!)
Frezier Balzoff (Ottawa), Ontario, Canada Email-...@Freenet.carleton.ca
"A man is measured by the depth of his anger."--Eddie
KURT COBAIN 1967-1994 -- A casualty of mental illness...think about it. Hard.

John Chapman

Apr 16, 1994, 3:13:17 PM4/16/94
Jimmy's Fantasy - Redd Kross

Daniel B Case

Apr 16, 1994, 3:30:00 PM4/16/94
In article <CoB3s...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ab...@freenet2.carleton.ca (Paul Tomblin) writes...

>> Don't milking machines work by administering low-grade electrical
>> shocks?
>>

>You're probably thinking of how they collect semen for AI (artificial
>insemination). They send a jolt of electricity over the prostate, or
>something like that. It's no fun for the bull at ALL.

See "A Boy and His Dog" for an example of this phenomenon applied to a human
male.

Dan "Don Johnson, no less" Case

"'My country right or wrong' is like saying,
'My mother drunk or sober'"-G.K. Chesterton
Daniel Case
State University of New York at Buffalo Prodigy:WDNS15D
V140...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu dc...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Daniel B Case

Apr 16, 1994, 5:01:00 PM4/16/94
In article <2onhmv$b...@alpha.epas.utoronto.ca>, lgo...@epas.utoronto.ca (Liorah Golomb) writes...

>>This is a wanking tune?
>
>>------------
>>bro...@mizar.usc.edu
>>"My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot."
>>--Ashleigh Brilliant
>
>Yeah, I was going to ask about this too. I must have missed the deeper
>meaning when this tune was hot (about 15 years ago). Someone explain please?

For the last time...

"Turning Japanese" is British slang for masturbation, the reason being that
when you reach orgasm you make a stereotypical Japanese face (squinty eyes,
top teeth out). Derek Tearne posted the full lyrics to this song when this
thread was still on AFU, and as he pointed out the lyrics are about a guy who's
in prison and beats off to a picture of his girlfriend.

Tushar Tank

Apr 17, 1994, 2:29:32 AM4/17/94
Blinded By The Light - Manford Man (originally by Bruce Springstein)
Although I read this somewhere I never understood what that song was about.

Alex Suter

Apr 17, 1994, 4:27:42 AM4/17/94
In article <cwiltgen-1...@cwiltgen.pr.mcs.net>,
Charles Wiltgen <cwil...@mcs.com> wrote:
>In the less popular category of female masturbation, "She-Bop" by Cyndi
>Lauper.
>
>Fun facts: "Steely Dan" is a dildo reference.
> "Pearl Jam" is a semen reference.

Back on the male side there's a song by "Green Day" that gets
pretty detailed.

--
Alex Suter
asu...@cs.stanford.edu

Michael Schuster

Apr 17, 1994, 7:09:19 AM4/17/94
In article <CoD2H...@freenet.carleton.ca>,

David Watson <aj...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:

>The lyrics are about a guy obsessing about a woman's picture (to the point
>where "I want a doctor to take your picture so I can look at you from
>inside as well") and on the LP version (why it got chopped out of the
>single, I don't know) he says "I often kiss you when there's no one else
>around". I think it's safe to say that there's going to be some goalie
>pulling somewhere down the line. I don't have the album in Ottawa w/ me,
>so I can't post all the lyrics.

The version on the 80's compilation "Living In Oblivion Vol. 1" has that
line intact.

--
Mike Schuster | schu...@shell.portal.com | 70346...@CompuServe.COM
------------------- | schu...@panix.com | GEnie: MSCHUSTER

kurt scaletta

Apr 17, 1994, 12:00:05 PM4/17/94
"Captain Jack" by Billy Joel

Mike Gadda

Apr 17, 1994, 1:30:53 PM4/17/94
In article <1994Apr15.1...@ringer.cs.utsa.edu> kpharris@runner (
Karey Ann Pharris) writes:>From: kpharris@runner (Karey Ann Pharris)
>Subject: Re: Songs About Masturbation
>Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1994 18:11:30 GMT
> "Jack U Off" -Prince

Good One!

Don't forget these though: "My Stick" The Time with Prince
"Phermone" Prince & the NPG
"Darling Nikki" Prince & the Revolution
"Do Me, Baby" Prince
"Temptation" Prince & the Revolution
"Gotta Stop" Prince

S. Mudgett aka little gator

Apr 17, 1994, 2:05:38 PM4/17/94

>>In the less popular category of female masturbation, "She-Bop" by Cyndi
>>Lauper.

i can only remember some of the words but here they are:

i see him every night in tight blue jeans,
in the pages of a (something) magazine.
they say a stitch in time saves nine,
they say if i dont stop i'll go blind,
oh, she-bop.

they say i'd better get a chaperone,
cause i can't stop messing with the danger zone,
i won't worry, and i won't fret,
aint no law against it yet,
oh, she-bop

chorus:
he-bop, she-bop, we-bop, i bop, they-bop, etc.

or something like that.

the video starts with cyndi rolling around in a car, looking at a magazine
and giggling, and ends with her stumbing around with a white cane and wearing
dark glasses.
--
-- little gator aka s. mudgett email: s...@harvee.billerica.ma.us
-- friend of a gator is a friend of mine

Kim Scheinberg

Apr 17, 1994, 3:01:37 PM4/17/94
ta...@diop.eecs.berkeley.edu (Tushar Tank) writes

>Blinded By The Light - Manford Man (originally by Bruce Springstein)
>Although I read this somewhere I never understood what that song was about.

Mann. Springsteen. And absolutely not.

kim "will dissect Bruce lyrics for no reason whatsoever" scheinberg
--
Kim Scheinberg Trust me, I know more about this subject than you do.
ik...@panix.com - Mark Eckenwiler

Daniel B Case

Apr 17, 1994, 3:06:00 PM4/17/94
[Newsgroups line trimmed]

In article <2oql0c$n...@agate.berkeley.edu>, ta...@diop.eecs.berkeley.edu (Tushar Tank) writes...

>Blinded By The Light - Manford Man (originally by Bruce Springstein)
>Although I read this somewhere I never understood what that song was about.

"Some broken down romeo was messing with his frozen bone
To remind him of the feeling of romance."

and more elliptically:

"Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun,
But Mama, that's where the fun is..."

(remember the old superstition that masturbating will make you blind, and that
line and the song's title make sense as being about whipping meat)

I guess in that department I should add the reference in New Order's "Perfect
Kiss":

"Tonight I should have stayed at home,
playing with my precious stones."

jtr...@vms.cis.pitt.edu

Apr 17, 1994, 4:38:04 PM4/17/94
The Final Cut (song) by Pink Floyd
"...making love to girls in magazines..."
--
John T. Robicheau,R.Ph.
Predoctoral Fellow

CHE STUD

Apr 17, 1994, 5:21:45 PM4/17/94
ik...@panix.com writes:
> ta...@diop.eecs.berkeley.edu (Tushar Tank) writes
> >Blinded By The Light - Manford Man (originally by Bruce Springstein)
> >Although I read this somewhere I never understood what that song was about.
>
> Mann.
Not to mention "Manfred" rather than "Manford"

> Springsteen.

> And absolutely not.

Well, you could argue that "Some half-sown moonstone was messin' with
his frozen zone to remind him of the feelin' of romance" is a mastubation
reference.

> kim "will dissect Bruce lyrics for no reason whatsoever" scheinberg
> --
> Kim Scheinberg Trust me, I know more about this subject than you do.
> ik...@panix.com - Mark Eckenwiler

*********************************
Chris Fishel * "In the winter, I'm a Buddhist*
University of Virginia * & in the summer I'm a nudist"*
ct...@virginia.edu * -Joe Gould (U. S. poet and *
* translator of the *
* language of the seagulls) *
*********************************

DARE,JESSICA,MS

Apr 17, 1994, 6:38:19 PM4/17/94
In article <2oqrtu$s...@Times.Stanford.EDU> asu...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Alex Suter) writes:
>In article <cwiltgen-1...@cwiltgen.pr.mcs.net>,
>Charles Wiltgen <cwil...@mcs.com> wrote:
>>In the less popular category of female masturbation, "She-Bop" by Cyndi
>>Lauper.
>>
>>Fun facts: "Steely Dan" is a dildo reference.
>> "Pearl Jam" is a semen reference.

Actually, I heard that the lead singer of Pearl Jam named the band
after his grandmother, whose name is Pearl and who makes Jam. Maybe
a little unconscious incest going on there? Hmmm...I dunno.

Anyway, to add to the list, there's a song by the Wyrd Sisters, about
a woman and her shower head. An intimate relationship, to be sure!
Chow for now, -jessica-

Wendi Dunlap

Apr 17, 1994, 8:28:22 PM4/17/94
v140...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Daniel B Case) writes:

:I guess in that department I should add the reference in New Order's
:"Perfect Kiss":

:"Tonight I should have stayed at home,
:playing with my precious stones."

I always thought it was "playing with my pleasure zone."

--
Wendi A. Dunlap * litl...@hebron.connected.com * Seattle, Washington
Sysop, Slumberland BBS * (206)547-2629 * 24 hours a day * 3/12/24/96

Dave Carrigan

Apr 17, 1994, 11:11:26 PM4/17/94
v140...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Daniel B Case) writes:

>In article <CoB3s...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ab...@freenet2.carleton.ca (Paul Tomblin) writes...

>>insemination). They send a jolt of electricity over the prostate, or
>>something like that. It's no fun for the bull at ALL.

>See "A Boy and His Dog" for an example of this phenomenon applied to a human
>male.

Actually, there are even some real-life examples. The technique is used
to collect semen from qradraplegics who wish to have children. It's still
not a lot of fun, but if ya wanna be a daddy...
--
Dave Carrigan (da...@dave.nofc.forestry.ca)

Yow! I KAISER ROLL?! What good is a Kaiser Roll without a little
COLE SLAW on the SIDE?

Chris Metzler

Apr 18, 1994, 12:20:00 AM4/18/94
In article <2ofalp$c...@chnews.intel.com>, sram...@fission.intel.com (Steve Ramirez~) writes:
|> Elvis Costello - "Mystery Dance"

I REALLY don't think the song is about masturbation; it's about sex,
but not about masturbation.

--
Chris Metzler
Department of Physics, University of Michigan 313-764-4607 (office)

"Need I go on?" -- Serdar Argic

Jerry C. Hudgins

Apr 18, 1994, 12:23:11 AM4/18/94

In article <2oqrtu$s...@Times.Stanford.EDU> asu...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (Alex Suter) writes:

Y'know, it's gotten to the point that I'd really like to see a summary
of all of these suggestions. Has anyone been keeping up with them?

I must admit, some of them have made me feel pretty stupid! 8-|

--
Jerry Hudgins Home : je...@marin.nbn.com
P.O. Box 449 Work : je...@z-code.com

Captain Nemo

Apr 18, 1994, 10:57:24 AM4/18/94
DARE,JESSICA,MS (BB8...@MUSICB.MCGILL.CA) wrote:
: >>Fun facts: "Steely Dan" is a dildo reference.

: >> "Pearl Jam" is a semen reference.
: >
: Actually, I heard that the lead singer of Pearl Jam named the band
: after his grandmother, whose name is Pearl and who makes Jam. Maybe
: a little unconscious incest going on there? Hmmm...I dunno.

You are correct, sir. The story goes that Veder's aunty or whatever made
or still makes some kinda funky psychadelic jam that makes you trip and
stuff. Or something like that.

That's the story at least. They probably got the name from some long
dead group/song that nobody remembers. Kinda like how there used to be
band named Nirvana in the 60's that .01% of the world's population
thinks they remember.

Gary Milliken

Apr 18, 1994, 12:09:13 PM4/18/94
Well sorry, I tried listening to "Pictures of Lily" -- on CD! --
and I can't make out the alleged masturbation theme, but there
are lines in the song that I can't determine either. Can anyone
post their idea of the song's lyrics?

Vincent J. Abella

Apr 18, 1994, 3:12:34 PM4/18/94
Gotta throw mine in (even if it's in one of the 44 responses so far)...

"Rosie," by Jackson Browne on "Running on Empty"

Vincent "When you hold me tight, baby, that's my thing" Abella

: In article <2oc2m0$f...@news.duke.edu> jf...@acpub.duke.edu (Joel Furr) writes:

: >In article <2o3163$j...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,
: >Ian Williams <ecs...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
: >>Hey, speaking of the Divinyls, my friends and I are going to make a mix
: >>tape called "Great Songs About Masturbation" ... ones that I can think of:
: >>"Turning Japanese" - The Vapours
: >>"She-Bop" - Cyndi Lauper

: >>"Sometimes a Fantasy" - Billy Joel
: >>"I Touch Myself" - the DiVinyls

: >This is a really stupid thread for alt.folklore.urban, but that being
: >said, don't forget "My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry.
: And, in my opinion, the best and most oblique, "Pump It Up" by Elvis
: Costello.
: --
: vmd

--
Vincent J. Abella |"We men of study, whose heads are in
(vab...@oboe.aix.calpoly.edu) | our books, have need to be straitly
| moments, and walk in our sleep."

The Dominator

Apr 18, 1994, 3:51:18 PM4/18/94

Makes you wonder what he does all day doesn't it? ;)

Dominator
--
.____________________________________________________________________________.
| |^^^^~ --------- |^^^^^~ | McClane The Dominator presents : |

David Landau

Apr 18, 1994, 3:53:36 PM4/18/94

>Gotta throw mine in (even if it's in one of the 44 responses so far)...

>"Rosie," by Jackson Browne on "Running on Empty"

Rosie? Sure.

Running on Empty? I don't think so...

-D.

7IHd

Apr 18, 1994, 4:15:10 PM4/18/94
Apologies if someone else got this one, but:

XTC - Pink Thing (from "Oranges & Lemons")

(From memory)

"Anytime you rise - I'm crazy for you pink thing...
You make me wanna dance, you make me wanna sing..."

and

"When I stroke your head I feel a hundred heartbeats high,
pink think - spit in my eye, I'd love you for it"

It goes on...
_
|_)|_ *| "You wanna go home... Well at least theres someone there
| | )|| that you can talk to... And you never have to face up to
======== the night on your own... Jesus it must be great..." -Pulp

Richard N Kitchen

Apr 18, 1994, 4:15:39 PM4/18/94

In a previous article, ta...@diop.eecs.berkeley.edu (Tushar Tank) says:

>Blinded By The Light - Manford Man (originally by Bruce Springstein)
>Although I read this somewhere I never understood what that song was about.

Manfred Mann. And I don't believe Springsteen did it first.

--
Rick Kitchen da...@cleveland.freenet.edu
"I felt like I was in the room all by myself when I was talking to

Sean Willard

Apr 18, 1994, 5:10:07 PM4/18/94
Richard N Kitchen (da...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu) writes --

| In a previous article, ta...@diop.eecs.berkeley.edu (Tushar Tank) says:
|
| >Blinded By The Light - Manford Man (originally by Bruce Springstein)
| >Although I read this somewhere I never understood what that song was about.
|
| Manfred Mann. And I don't believe Springsteen did it first.

Uh, Rick? Springsteen _wrote_ the song. _And_ performed it first. On
_Greetings from Asbury Park NJ_, 1973 (CBS 31903).

Sean "discographies ya us" Willard

--
Sean Willard "Ignore your teeth and they'll go away."

John W. O'Leary

Apr 18, 1994, 5:11:09 PM4/18/94
In article <2ouppb$6...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> da...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Richard N Kitchen) writes:

>In a previous article, ta...@diop.eecs.berkeley.edu (Tushar Tank) says:
>
>>Blinded By The Light - Manford Man (originally by Bruce Springstein)
>>Although I read this somewhere I never understood what that song was about.
>
>Manfred Mann. And I don't believe Springsteen did it first.

Well, the song was on an album Springsteen released in 1973. Does
anybody remember when Manfred Mann recorded it? God, I feel old.

--
John W. O'Leary j...@ee.cornell.edu Ph. 607-255-4323 FAX 607-255-9072
School of Electrical Eng, 338 Theory Ctr, Cornell U, Ithaca, NY 14853

dupree@uhcl4

Apr 18, 1994, 5:56:00 PM4/18/94
In article <1994Apr18.2...@cs.cornell.edu>, j...@cs.cornell.edu (John W. O'Leary) writes...

>In article <2ouppb$6...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> da...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Richard N Kitchen) writes:
>>
>>In a previous article, ta...@diop.eecs.berkeley.edu (Tushar Tank) says:
>>
>>>Blinded By The Light - Manford Man (originally by Bruce Springstein)
>>>Although I read this somewhere I never understood what that song was about.
>>
>>Manfred Mann. And I don't believe Springsteen did it first.
>
>Well, the song was on an album Springsteen released in 1973. Does
>anybody remember when Manfred Mann recorded it? God, I feel old.

I am suprised no one has mentioned Prince's "Little Nicky" or have they?

Christopher Scott Campbell

Apr 18, 1994, 6:17:16 PM4/18/94
she bop by cindi lauper.

chris

Kim Scheinberg

Apr 18, 1994, 7:43:18 PM4/18/94
j...@cs.cornell.edu (John W. O'Leary) writes
>In article <2ouppb$6...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> da...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Richard N Kitchen) writes:
>>
>>In a previous article, ta...@diop.eecs.berkeley.edu (Tushar Tank) says:
>>
>>>Blinded By The Light - Manford Man (originally by Bruce Springstein)
>>>Although I read this somewhere I never understood what that song was about.
>>
>>Manfred Mann. And I don't believe Springsteen did it first.
>
>Well, the song was on an album Springsteen released in 1973. Does
>anybody remember when Manfred Mann recorded it? God, I feel old.

This is absurd. It is *absolutely* Springsteen.

Trust me, *this* subject I know something about...

-k.

Ken Shirriff

Apr 18, 1994, 8:33:30 PM4/18/94

John W. O'Leary <j...@cs.cornell.edu> wrote:
>Well, the song was on an album Springsteen released in 1973. Does
>anybody remember when Manfred Mann recorded it? God, I feel old.

Springsteen wrote "Blinded by the light". It was on "Greetings from
Asbury Park NJ", which was indeed in 1973. The lyrics server tells me it
was also on Manfred Mann's "The Roaring Silence", 1976. And the mystery
word is "deuce".

Ken Shirriff shir...@cs.Berkeley.EDU

It is loading more messages.