THE TEN MOST OVERRATED ROCK BANDS EVER

CMSC 330

Mar 28, 1992, 3:50:53 PM3/28/92

Hey you rock-n-roll fans out there, I read this article in REQUEST magazine,
and saved it. So now I'm posting it so you all can read it and see what you
think.

It was on page 16 in REQUEST magazine. Author of the article: Jim DeRogatis
I'm not sure what the date of the magazine is but it's in late 1991. Enjoy.

Hal

THE TEN MOST OVERRATED ROCK BANDS EVER

Rock critics are always complaining that some bands are underrated(presumably
because said bands don't sell many records), but rarely does anyone target
those slight artists whose reputations as patron saints of rock'n'roll are
gross exaggerations of what they've actually accomplished. You'd never know
from the countless entries in the rock encyclopedias, but here are the 10
most overrated rock artists ever, and a few runners-up:

1. ERIC CLAPTON: What Cream passed off as improvisation was just indulgent
wanking, plain and simple. If this Michelob salesman is
God, it's a good argument for atheism.

2. THE WHO: Roger Daltrey? Get serious.

3. THE DOORS: Sure Jim Morrison was a great poet. Inspirational verse:
"Dead cat in a top hat/Thinks he's an aristocrat/That's crap."

4. JIMI HENDRIX: Was inventing feedback really that difficult?

5. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: He started believing he was the working man's Dylan
sometime after 'Darkness on the Edge of Town', but
it didn't stop him from firing his band. He's boring
and pretentious, and I'm allowed to say it 'cause I'm
from Jersey.

6. THE BAND: Has anyone ever stayed awake through 'The Last Waltz'? If you
hired this Band to play for your wedding, the guests would
leave before dinner.

7. CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL: So what if they were a good bar band. They
doomed us to an eternity of "Proud Mary"
covers.

8. CROSBY, STILLS, & NASH: Even the great Neil Young couldn't redeem these
sorry yodelers.

9. STEVE WINDWOOD: He may be able to play 43 different instruments, but he
still sounds like a Holiday Inn lounge act.

10. FRANK ZAPPA: Classical fart with punk pretensions.

THE RUNNERS-UP: The Police/Sting; George Harrison; Fleetwood Mac; Elvis
Costello; and almost every band California ever produced,
especially the Eagles.

-Jim DeRogatis
REQUEST magazine

Charles Fee

Mar 28, 1992, 6:34:15 PM3/28/92
In article <12...@umd5.umd.edu>, ap...@linus.umd.edu (CMSC 330) says:
>4. JIMI HENDRIX: Was inventing feedback really that difficult?

Spare me.

Jimi Hendrix changed the music establishment more in 3 years than had been
done before in 3 decades. No other person has ever been more emulated in the
history of rock music, including the truly overrated Elvis Presley, who easily
should be considered the most overrated personality of all time.

Jimi Hendrix may not have been the greatest lyricist of all time, but he
is without a doubt the greatest guitarist ewver. It is a shame that people can
simplify such an incredible musician to a one line blurb.

-Chuck

Dave Low

Mar 28, 1992, 7:18:05 PM3/28/92
HOW ABOUT THOSE ROLLING STONES

I think they are the all time most over rated band!!!!!!

Dave Low
dg...@descartes.waterloo.edu

Victor Kamutzki

Mar 28, 1992, 8:13:43 PM3/28/92
Charles Fee <CXF...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:

>In article <12...@umd5.umd.edu>, ap...@linus.umd.edu (CMSC 330) says:
>>4. JIMI HENDRIX: Was inventing feedback really that difficult?

> Spare me.

> Jimi Hendrix changed the music establishment more in 3 years than had been
>done before in 3 decades.

Anyone who thinks Hendrix invented feedback should have been listening
to Link Wray in 1954. "Rumble" contains as much chaos, distortion and
feeback as Hendrix ever "invented". That's not to say that Hendrix
wasn't a great guitar player - he was! But please give credit where
credit is due. Link Wray was way ahead of his time.

If you want to check it out, there was a live album released in '79
that contains a version of "Rumble" that is very true to the original
version from '54. Earlier recordings of "Rumble" have the massive
feedback edited out - it was deemed undesirable - but the live version
from '79 is positively heart-stopping. Sorry, but I can't remember
what label that album was released on...

>No other person has ever been more emulated in the history of rock
>music,

And not without due cause. As I said, he was a truly great guitarist.
However, as is very often the case (even today), people tend to
overlook the talent that was building in the underground long before a
lot of musicians became the heroes they are today. Another good
example of this is Gun, who were recording rock-n-roll back in the
mid- to late-60's that is still pretty heavy by today's standards.

Victor
--
__________________thankstomodernchemistrysleepisnowoptional_______________
| "[I wasn't expecting] a chain-smoking, | - - - Victor Kamutzki - - - |

We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.

Mar 28, 1992, 9:22:00 PM3/28/92
In article <92088.183...@psuvm.psu.edu>, CXF...@psuvm.psu.edu (Charles Fee) writes...

Jimi was one of the greatest guitarist of all time. This is true.
The question why he is refered to as "over-rated", I think I have that answer.
Jimi wrote just for HIS guitar playing, and the rest of the band was just
there, not doing anything but basics. He was not a good vocalist, nor
was he a team player. He was egotistic as they come. Playing great
guitar is all he did. His writing and other interests were lacking.

"Groovy!" - Ash "Evil Dead II : Dead By Dawn" (1987)
"Fans are interesting things. Rush fans just can't comprehend why the
rest of the world doesn't like Rush. REM fans consider the rest of the world
beneath their social level to notice. Kate Bush fans love the rest of the
world, and the world loves them, but spend long nights plotting to knife
one another." --Richard Darwin
Richard Darwin #33, "Gradenza"
"It's Nothing. It's just a private joke between me and whoever is going to
be my analyst." - Cary Grant "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" (1948)
v129j6ed@ubvms
The KaTeFan(tm)

Ray Charbonneau

Mar 29, 1992, 11:10:13 AM3/29/92
In article <1992Mar29.0...@descartes.waterloo.edu>, dg...@lambert.waterloo.edu (Dave Low) writes:
|> HOW ABOUT THOSE ROLLING STONES
|>

|> I think they are the all time most over rated band!!!!!!

And of course, what about Rush?

--
Ray Charbonneau | I feel so inar-inar-inar-inar tic-u-late
rcha...@athena.mit.edu | -- Roger Taylor (Queen)

We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.

Mar 29, 1992, 12:20:00 PM3/29/92
In article <1992Mar29.1...@athena.mit.edu>, rcha...@athena.mit.edu (Ray Charbonneau) writes...

>In article <1992Mar29.0...@descartes.waterloo.edu>, dg...@lambert.waterloo.edu (Dave Low) writes:
>|> HOW ABOUT THOSE ROLLING STONES
>|> I think they are the all time most over rated band!!!!!!
>And of course, what about Rush?
Led Zepplin is an obvious choice.

John Henry Bonham

Mar 29, 1992, 1:21:22 PM3/29/92
In article <1992Mar29.1...@acsu.buffalo.edu> v129...@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.) writes:
>Led Zepplin is an obvious choice.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

ARE YOU MAD?????????
Led Zeppelin basically invented Heavy Metal. Jimmy Page borrowed old riffs and made them his own. Plant's own Voice was an instrument. JOnes was one of the best keyboardests and bassists of all time, and Bonham, in the top two best of drummers.....

You sure havent listened to much Zeppelin have you?

Go get a life and stop listening to NKOTB.....

Flames required! :)

Led...@wam.umd.edu
John.

"I may not be the best, but I'm sure in hell the loudest!"

Mike Mustaine

Mar 29, 1992, 2:10:11 PM3/29/92
In article <1992Mar29....@wam.umd.edu> led...@wam.umd.edu (John Henry Bonham) writes:
>In article <1992Mar29.1...@acsu.buffalo.edu> v129...@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.) writes:
>
>ARE YOU MAD?????????

I don't think he is. Are you?

>Led Zeppelin basically invented Heavy Metal.

I'm sure that albums like Black Sabbath's _Paranoid_ (released in 1970, it was
their 3rd album), Deep Purple's _Machine_Head_ (1973? Anyway, that wasn't
their first, either), Aerosmith's debut (early '70's), and many others
(insert your favorite 70's hard rock group here) had no influence on today's
crop of headbangers.

>Jimmy Page borrowed old riffs and made them his own.

As did every other '60's guitarist of note. Read any interview from a
musician/guitarist from that era and they'll all talk about locking themselves
up in their room and listening to the Sun and Chess records releases.

>Plant's own Voice was an instrument.

So was David Coverdale's. For that matter, so was Jon Anderson's.

> JOnes was one of the best keyboardests and bassists of all time, and Bonham, in the top two best of drummers.....

I am definitely influenced by Jones' riffs. He and Bonham made a killer
rhythm section. But the only thing I've ever seen that matches in contemporary
metal is the use of a gong, and they could've gotten that from Queen as much
as from the end of "The Song Remains the Same."

>You sure havent listened to much Zeppelin have you?

I owned every Zep album put out, and grabbed the Immigrant Song 45 so I could
have "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do?" I owned (and still have a couple) many Zep
boots. When I went CD about 5-6 years ago, I bought 'em all again on CD.

>Go get a life and stop listening to NKOTB.....

I have one, thank you.

Bottom Line:

I think Zep are one of the most original bands ever. I love their music,
even after listening to them to death for over 10 years. But enough is
enough. They're good. But not _that_ good. They are not the raison d'etre
of rock music for the last 20 years. They've got 10 albums, and they haven't
done anything in 10 years. _I_ need more than 10 albums in my collection,
sorry.

They _are_ overrated. No one's that good.

>Flames required! :)

You got 'em. :-)

>Led...@wam.umd.edu
>John.
>
>"I may not be the best, but I'm sure in hell the loudest!"

Mike

--
Mike Mustaine |"...they also rip the throats out of
Starving College Student (tm) | two-bit quacks who spew psychobabble

andy

Mar 29, 1992, 2:15:11 PM3/29/92
Charbonneau) writes:

>In article <1992Mar200...@descartes.waterloo.edu>,

>dg...@lambert.waterloo.edu (Dave Low) writes:
>|>
>|> HOW ABOUT THOSE ROLLING STONES
>

>And of course, what about Rush?
>--
>Ray Charbonneau | I feel so inar-inar-inar-inar tic-u-late
>rcha...@athena.mit.edu | -- Roger Taylor (Queen)
>MIT and the Library Systems Office are glad that I'm posting my opinions
>here so that they don't have to listen to them anymore.

And of course, what about Queen?

ho hum ho hum ho hum. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

7 best = 3 songs = 10 overrated

haven't we been through this a million times tooooo many already?

--
_____ _____ _____ _____ ____ _____ I'm... too stoned to sing this song,
__|_____|_____|_____|_____| __ |_____|_____ too stoned to sing this song,

Gerald Sylvester

Mar 29, 1992, 3:16:04 PM3/29/92

>>Led Zepplin is an obvious choice.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^
>ARE YOU MAD?????????
>Led Zeppelin basically invented Heavy Metal. Jimmy Page borrowed old riffs and made them his own. Plant's own Voice was an instrument. JOnes was one of the best keyboardests and bassists of all time, and Bonham, in the top two best of drummers
>You sure havent listened to much Zeppelin have you?
>
>Go get a life and stop listening to NKOTB.....
>

>Flames required! :)

I used to be a huge Led Zep fan so it is not as though I not familiar
with them. Led Zeppelin was an incredible and very influential band but
I definitely thought they were overrated. Maybe not to be on the TEN MOST
List but they were overrated. They were also a bunch of drug addicted,
immature musicians who were treated like gods. Of all th bootlegs I have
heard from them, they were all stoned off their as* and could barely play
(much less probably stand up) on all them. Even on records, there is
sloppy playing. Yea, they were a great band and don't deserve to be the
LIST but they were and still are overrated.

>Led...@wam.umd.edu

Hey everyone, watch what you say about Zep, you might offend someone. 8-)

Gerald Sylvester

Stephen Swann

Mar 29, 1992, 4:01:28 PM3/29/92
In article <1992Mar29....@wam.umd.edu> led...@wam.umd.edu (John Henry Bonham) writes:

>Flames required! :)

Well, I really shouldn't do this, but it was just too good to resist.

>>Led Zepplin is an obvious choice.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>ARE YOU MAD?????????

<whoever posted that> might be. But it just might be a lunatic we're
looking for... ;-)

>Led Zeppelin basically invented Heavy Metal.

Which is basically a correct comment, leaving aside for a moment the
fact that it's wrong.

>Jimmy Page borrowed old riffs and made them his own.

Jimmy Page borrowed riffs and didn't give them back. They're way overdue
at the library.

>Plant's own Voice was an instrument.

Of torture.

>JOnes was one of the best keyboardests and bassists of all time,

What a multi-talented fellow. He's my favorite member of Zep though,
because I can almost never hear him.

> and Bonham, in the top two best of drummers.....

How did he get in there, did the two of them eat his body?

>You sure havent listened to much Zeppelin have you?

Well, I own 5 Zeppelin albums, and I have heard all the others. In fact,
since Zeppelin still gets more airplay than any current band, I think I
have pretty much been Zeppelin-saturated since I was 16 (that's 9 years,
if anybody's counting).

>Go get a life and stop listening to NKOTB.....

For the humor impaired :-) :-)

As Herakles reputedly said to a Centaur, "Get down off your high horse".

--
Steve Swann | Speak to me in many voices; make
sw...@acsu.buffalo.edu | them all sound like one... -BOC

Stephen C. Miller

Mar 29, 1992, 6:16:43 PM3/29/92

Milli Vanilli!!!
--
--------------------
=Steve Miller (oracular priest) stcm...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu

OOOOh bigol jetairliner. Dontcarry metoo faraway. Ooooh bigol
jetairliner. Causeits herethat Igot tostay. Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah.

We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.

Mar 30, 1992, 12:43:00 AM3/30/92
In article <1992Mar29....@wam.umd.edu>, led...@wam.umd.edu (John Henry Bonham) writes...

>In article <1992Mar29.1...@acsu.buffalo.edu> v129...@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.) writes:
>>Led Zepplin is an obvious choice.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^
>ARE YOU MAD?????????

Some have claimed........

>Led Zeppelin basically invented Heavy Metal. Jimmy Page borrowed old riffs and made them his own. Plant's own Voice was an instrument. JOnes was one of the best keyboardests and bassists of all time, and Bonham, in the top two best of drummers.....

No. They were the first band to make alot of money from it.
They are far from being the first heavy metal band.
Black Sabbath has that title.

>You sure havent listened to much Zeppelin have you?

I hear it every day at least 3 songs.
The stations in Buffalo play little else.

>Go get a life and stop listening to NKOTB.....

With a commendation like that, you think I will listen to your side
seriously?

>"I may not be the best, but I'm sure in hell the loudest!"

Far from it.

Mark McKinzie

Mar 30, 1992, 1:07:33 AM3/30/92
v129...@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.) writes:

>In article <1992Mar29....@wam.umd.edu>, led...@wam.umd.edu (John Henry Bonham) writes...

>>Led Zeppelin basically invented Heavy Metal. Jimmy Page borrowed old riffs and made them his own. Plant's own Voice was an instrument. JOnes was one of the best keyboardests and bassists of all time, and Bonham, in the top two best of drummers.....

>No. They were the first band to make alot of money from it.
>They are far from being the first heavy metal band.
>Black Sabbath has that title.

Hmmm. So just who *IS* the first heavy metal band?

Nominees: 1. LZep. simply because the media thinks so.
2. BlSabs. Certainly heavier that #1, although they
don't pre-date #1.
3. Cream. heavy enough at times to rate as heavy, and
precede BS and LZ.
4. Steppenwolf. on syntactic reasons alone.
5. Megadeth. on semantic reasons alone.

Send your votes to musi...@math.wisc.edu , and I'm
sure he'd LOVE to tabulate the responses!

--
Mark McKinzie | Tra la la, Tra la la la, Tra la la la la la la la
mcki...@math.wisc.edu | -The Banana Splits, 1968-

92S00302

Mar 30, 1992, 3:18:00 AM3/30/92
In article <1992Mar30.0...@schaefer.math.wisc.edu>, musi...@math.wisc.edu writes...

You left out one band often credited with being the first
heavy metal band.

Uriah Heep
I'm not sure when their first album was but I think it was around 1968
which would pre-date Led Zepplin(1969) or at least tie them.

-Ken
dis...@jetson.uh.edu

Don Becker

Mar 30, 1992, 10:09:34 AM3/30/92
v129...@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.) writes:

>In article <1992Mar29....@wam.umd.edu>, led...@wam.umd.edu (John Henry Bonham) writes...
>>In article <1992Mar29.1...@acsu.buffalo.edu> v129...@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.) writes:
>>>Led Zepplin is an obvious choice.
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>ARE YOU MAD?????????

>Some have claimed........

No comment, even though I do know this man.

>>Led Zeppelin basically invented Heavy Metal. Jimmy Page borrowed old riffs and made them his own. Plant's own Voice was an instrument. JOnes was one of the best keyboardests and bassists of all time, and Bonham, in the top two best of drummers.....

>No. They were the first band to make alot of money from it.
>They are far from being the first heavy metal band.
>Black Sabbath has that title.

Agreed. Zep may have claimed to be the influence for the majority of metal
bands, but the dark elements that most metal songs have came fron BLACK
SABBATH, not Led Zeppelin.

>>You sure havent listened to much Zeppelin have you?

I've listened to too much. When I was 16, I thought Zeppelin was the greatest.
Then I broadened my horizons and listened to Pink Floyd, and recently Yes. Now,
Led Zeppelin is nowhere in my personal top 10. Why? They didn't come up with
anything innovative. They're a good group, but they are hardly the gods people
(such as the original poster -- what else would you expect with a userid like
'ledzep' and a personal name like John Henry Bonham?) make them out to be.

I would have to say right now that Led Zeppelin is the most overrated rock
group ever, followed closely by Bruce Springsteen.

--
/ Don Becker at the University at Buffalo -- Any comments? Post or mail 'em \
| Internet: v112...@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu BITNET: v112...@ubvms.BITNET |

U36...@uicvm.uic.edu

Mar 30, 1992, 11:31:24 AM3/30/92
...and then there was Supertramp. The ONLY good song they did was "School".

rr

Mr. Scott Hannon; PHYS (GRAD)

Mar 30, 1992, 12:42:05 PM3/30/92
In a previous article v129j6ed@ubvms writes...

>Jimi was one of the greatest guitarist of all time. This is true.
>The question why he is refered to as "over-rated", I think I have that answer.
>Jimi wrote just for HIS guitar playing, and the rest of the band was just
>there, not doing anything but basics. He was not a good vocalist, nor
>was he a team player. He was egotistic as they come. Playing great
>guitar is all he did. His writing and other interests were lacking.

OK. I guess I just don't share your opinions on Jimis song writting and
singing. Its true songs like _Fire_ and _Foxey Lady_ and some others
are "fluff"-type songs, and some of his others are amazingly sappy
(_May This Be Love [Waterfall]_ for instance), but he did write quite a
few good ones as well (and he didn't write many songs before dying). Certainly
songs like _Castles Made Of Sand_ and _Wind Cries Mary_ feature both
good singing and lyrics. As do many of his others.

And while I agree very much with Jimis music being guitar oriented to the
point of distraction, I'm amazed you can consider Mitchs drum playing
as basic. If anything, he is frequently wild to the point of being sloppy
and off beat (_Purple Haze_, _Fire_, etc...). He is one of my favorites
precisely because he is so non-basic.

As for Noels bass playing...you're right, pretty basic on records. Live
could be a whole other story!

PS there is a Hendrix mailing list. If interested, send e-mail to
hey-joe...@ms.uky.edu

Scott.
--
Scott Hannon, Mon Mar 30 1992 (han...@umbc4.umbc.edu)

John Morgan Morris

Mar 30, 1992, 1:07:11 PM3/30/92
han...@umbc4.umbc.edu (Mr. Scott Hannon; PHYS (GRAD)) writes:

>In a previous article v129j6ed@ubvms writes...
>>Jimi was one of the greatest guitarist of all time. This is true.
>>The question why he is refered to as "over-rated", I think I have that answer.
>>Jimi wrote just for HIS guitar playing, and the rest of the band was just
>>there, not doing anything but basics. He was not a good vocalist, nor
>>was he a team player. He was egotistic as they come. Playing great
>>guitar is all he did. His writing and other interests were lacking.

>OK. I guess I just don't share your opinions on Jimis song writting and
>singing. Its true songs like _Fire_ and _Foxey Lady_ and some others
>are "fluff"-type songs, and some of his others are amazingly sappy
>(_May This Be Love [Waterfall]_ for instance), but he did write quite a
>few good ones as well (and he didn't write many songs before dying). Certainly
>songs like _Castles Made Of Sand_ and _Wind Cries Mary_ feature both
>good singing and lyrics. As do many of his others.

Hendrix *wanted* the other musicians to contribute to the songs, which
explains his frustrations with Noel Redding, since he often had to tell
Noel (a guitarist-turned-bassist) what to play. Hendrix was also
frustrated with Buddy Miles in Band of Gypsies for the same reason. I
personally believe that he would have formed a bigger band with better
musicians had he lived. (He spoke of this in the weeks before his death
when Billy Cox was unable to continue playing.)

Hendrix was not egotistical in any way imaginable. He had an incredible
imagination, and wanted the songs he imagined to make their way to records.
He was often frustrated by his own inability to do this, particularly his
singing. He hated the way that he sang. He often turned his back to everyone
else in the studio, or even hid himself away in a room where noone else could
see him. In the video for the Isle of Wight festival, I noticed that he started
"Voodoo Chile" and sang the first line way off key. He got a disgusted look on
his face, played guitar through the verse, and started over singing.

He was rarely ever happy with his singing, but it's hard to imagine someone
else singing the songs -- a lot would be lost.

He was extremely capable of being a team player, or else he never would
have backed up Little Richard, the Isley Brothers, etc. in the early
1960's.

I have a hard time believing the statements that his writing was lacking.
I've heard several songwriters state that Hendrix was a big influence, and
compositionally several jazz performers have been interested in his songs,
particularly Gil Evans.

No way was Hendrix over-rated. He has influenced nearly everyone who has
picked up an electric guitar since...

Later,
Morgan

--
John Morgan Morris
Georgia State University

John Becker

Mar 30, 1992, 1:56:37 PM3/30/92
In article <12...@umd5.umd.edu> ap...@linus.umd.edu (CMSC 330) writes:
) Hey you rock-n-roll fans out there, I read this article in REQUEST magazine,
) and saved it. So now I'm posting it so you all can read it and see what you
) think.
) It was on page 16 in REQUEST magazine. Author of the article: Jim DeRogatis
) I'm not sure what the date of the magazine is but it's in late 1991. Enjoy.
) Hal

Actually, this article is great proof of my long-held contention that REQUEST
magazine is about the biggest joke in the world of music magazines! It's so
bad that even the people who work for Musicland/Sam Goody are embarrassed by
it. (For those who don't know, REQUEST magazine is published by Musicland/Sam
Goody.)

It makes absolutely no sense to me that they publish this kind of crap. They
are presumably in the business of selling tapes and CDs, and trying to make a
profit doing it right? So they repeatedly publish articles that rip into many
well-established and successful artists. What effect does this have? Well,
for me, when they rip up somebody I like, it encourages me to take my
business elsewhere. And if they rip up somebody that I don't know anything
about, if I believe their review I sure won't buy anything by that artist.
Seems to me that they have a few things to learn about business! Objective
criticism is one thing, but when you ridicule a multi-platinum-selling artist
like any of the 10 on this list, you just end up looking like a f...ing
idiot, IMHO.

John

Mathew A. Hennessy

Mar 30, 1992, 2:01:32 PM3/30/92

How about the MC5?

--
+-------======++> Sen~or Biggles is henn...@acsu.buffalo.edu <++=====--------+
| "There's only one thing left for me to do, and that's | Mathew Hennessy |

Walker Aumann

Mar 30, 1992, 5:43:23 PM3/30/92

>In article <1992Mar30.0...@schaefer.math.wisc.edu>, musi...@math.wisc.edu writes...
>>v129...@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (We dont play old music or new music. We play U2 music.) writes:
>>
>>Hmmm. So just who *IS* the first heavy metal band?
>>
>>Nominees: 1. LZep. simply because the media thinks so.
>> 2. BlSabs. Certainly heavier that #1, although they
>> don't pre-date #1.
>> 3. Cream. heavy enough at times to rate as heavy, and
>> precede BS and LZ.
>> 4. Steppenwolf. on syntactic reasons alone.
>> 5. Megadeth. on semantic reasons alone.
>>
>>Send your votes to musi...@math.wisc.edu , and I'm
>>sure he'd LOVE to tabulate the responses!
>>

> You left out one band often credited with being the first
>heavy metal band.

>Uriah Heep
>I'm not sure when their first album was but I think it was around 1968
>which would pre-date Led Zepplin(1969) or at least tie them.

>-Ken
>dis...@jetson.uh.edu

I've also heard the beginning of the term at least contributed to Blue Cheer.
Don't know much more about it than that, though (from _The_Rolling_Stone_ a
few years ago, I think).

Walker

Norm

Mar 30, 1992, 6:25:54 PM3/30/92
Well for my .02, I think that GNR is far and away the most overated band
of all time. These guys are the biggest cliche I've ever seen. They've
got a tattooed phoney from Indiana, a doped-up bozo in a top hat, covers
from Wing's Greatest Hits, and stupid, racist, sexist lyrics.

This band is only popular because they look good on TV.

Man on a Mission

Mar 30, 1992, 8:47:43 PM3/30/92
In article <1992Mar29.1...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> "Stephen C. Miller" <stcm...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:

> Milli Vanilli!!!

Sorry, they're not an overrated band.

Heck, they werent' even a band.

Where's my rifle? AAAHH Shoot it shoot it it's a lipsync

--
"And please bless Grandma, and Grampa..." ,----------- Ron A. Echeverri
"...And please, give me a million dollars, | BSAE 1994 Univ. of So. Cal.

Man on a Mission

Mar 30, 1992, 8:54:50 PM3/30/92
In article <92090.103...@uicvm.uic.edu> U36...@uicvm.uic.edu writes:
>...and then there was Supertramp. The ONLY good song they did was "School".

HA! (it embitters me that the only mention of Supertramp in this group besides
my own is a downer :-)

The Logical Song, Breakfast in America, Give a Little Bit, Crime of the
Century, Fool's Overture and MANY more. Especially Fool's Overture, my personal
fav, it's just an epic. School is a good song. But it's not the ONLY good song

Is there a Supertramp mailing list out there?

Aron Gamman

Mar 30, 1992, 9:09:43 PM3/30/92
led...@wam.umd.edu (John Henry Bonham) writes:

> In article <1992Mar29.1...@acsu.buffalo.edu> v129...@ubvmsd.cc.buffa

> >Led Zepplin is an obvious choice.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> ARE YOU MAD?????????
> Led Zeppelin basically invented Heavy Metal. Jimmy Page borrowed old riffs an
>

> You sure havent listened to much Zeppelin have you?

Ok, I'll be blunt...

Aren't you dead?

(:

This is from
th...@bluemoon.rn.com
who doesn't have their own obnoxious signature yet

soren--Ms. Jackson if you're nasty

Mar 30, 1992, 9:56:26 PM3/30/92

> Milli Vanilli!!!

This thread might be improved if more of the contributors knew what
"overrated" meant.

Milli Vanilli was never overrated.

--
"Tell me, who *hasn't* felt close to the edge and down by the river"
soren f petersen : i AM NOT : --Andy Whitman

Victor Kamutzki

Mar 30, 1992, 10:33:24 PM3/30/92
henn...@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mathew A. Hennessy) writes:

> How about the MC5?

Or for that matter, how about Blue Cheer?

Craig Burley

Mar 31, 1992, 3:36:11 AM3/31/92
IMHO, Yes is the single most overrated band I know.

Because no matter how good they are, were, or will be,...

...they can't POSSIBLY be as good as I think they are!

Other overrated rock bands I know: Alice Cooper, Gentle Giant, Brand X (rock?
well, maybe), Tangerine Dream (yes, they used to be considered rock),
Renaissance.

Sure I _can_ be objective, but I _enjoy_ being subjective when it comes to
things I like! (E.g. most overrated wife: mine! Even _she_ admits she can't
be nearly as wonderful as I think she is. :-)
--

James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson bur...@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF)

George Robbins

Mar 31, 1992, 5:47:50 AM3/31/92
In article <1992Mar30.1...@lmpsbbs.mot.com> bec...@areaplg2.corp.mot.com (John Becker) writes:
> In article <12...@umd5.umd.edu> ap...@linus.umd.edu (CMSC 330) writes:
> ) Hey you rock-n-roll fans out there, I read this article in REQUEST magazine,
> ) and saved it. So now I'm posting it so you all can read it and see what you
> ) think.
> ) It was on page 16 in REQUEST magazine. Author of the article: Jim DeRogatis
> ) I'm not sure what the date of the magazine is but it's in late 1991. Enjoy.
>
> Actually, this article is great proof of my long-held contention that REQUEST
> magazine is about the biggest joke in the world of music magazines! It's so
> bad that even the people who work for Musicland/Sam Goody are embarrassed by
> it. (For those who don't know, REQUEST magazine is published by Musicland/Sam
> Goody.)
>
> It makes absolutely no sense to me that they publish this kind of crap. They
> are presumably in the business of selling tapes and CDs, and trying to make a
> profit doing it right? So they repeatedly publish articles that rip into many
> well-established and successful artists. What effect does this have? Well,
> for me, when they rip up somebody I like, it encourages me to take my
> business elsewhere. And if they rip up somebody that I don't know anything
> about, if I believe their review I sure won't buy anything by that artist.

Well, I suspect it's to provide the illusion that the prople who write/publish
the magazine have some degree of independence, even though it's bought and paid
for by the outlet. If they limited themselves to saying everything new is just
great and you should by a copy, who would bother? It's pretty safe to criticize
the top historical groups, people are going to buy them anyway. Likewise at
least a few new releases are born for the cutout bin, little harm in taking a
whack at them.

In the case of the most 10 overrated, I suspect is some of this, plus an attempt
to poke a little fun at the sacred - some of the most popular groups really
don't have that much that objectively justifies their standings, just that they
had the right music at the right time, a good record and a lot of airplay. If
you read the listing, it's pretty obvious that it's at least partly tongue in
cheek anyway.

Are you sure you disagree with the list? It's amusing that while I'll admit
that all the groups/performers mentioned are "great", the only one that
consistantly gets any airtime on my CD player is Clapton.

The real value of such a magazine is where it can tell you enough about some
music that you are not really familiar with to aid in making a decision. Given
the limited programming flexibility of todays radio formats, this has to be an
improvement over making a decision based on the cover art. Request isn't all
that bad in this role, and since it's free...

more abuse follows:

> THE TEN MOST OVERRATED ROCK BANDS EVER
> Rock critics are always complaining...

> 1. ERIC CLAPTON: What Cream passed off as improvisation was just indulgent
> wanking, plain and simple. If this Michelob salesman is
> God, it's a good argument for atheism.

How many times can you listen to Wheels of Fire? At least his "proving God
can't sing" later day stuff has interesting lyrics and musical variety.

> 2. THE WHO: Roger Daltrey? Get serious.

Who cares about the who?

> 3. THE DOORS: Sure Jim Morrison was a great poet. Inspirational verse:
> "Dead cat in a top hat/Thinks he's an aristocrat/That's crap."

Better the second time around, but is is the music or nostalgia?

> 4. JIMI HENDRIX: Was inventing feedback really that difficult?

I've never been motivated by buy any albums, ok in small doses.

> 5. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: He started believing he was the working man's Dylan
> sometime after 'Darkness on the Edge of Town', but
> it didn't stop him from firing his band. He's boring
> and pretentious, and I'm allowed to say it 'cause I'm
> from Jersey.

Springsteen, yeech. And I first saw him in '74 when he was still playing
$2 shows at local community colleges and probably bars for all I know...

> 6. THE BAND: Has anyone ever stayed awake through 'The Last Waltz'? If you
> hired this Band to play for your wedding, the guests would
> leave before dinner.

Music from Big Pink was cool, but do you have any idea how long ago that was?

> 7. CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL: So what if they were a good bar band. They
> doomed us to an eternity of "Proud Mary"
> covers.

Sadly, some of the bar bands do better covers than the recorded performances.

> 8. CROSBY, STILLS, & NASH: Even the great Neil Young couldn't redeem these
> sorry yodelers.

Anything good since Deja Vu?

> 9. STEVE WINDWOOD: He may be able to play 43 different instruments, but he
> still sounds like a Holiday Inn lounge act.

Remember any of his solo work except "Arc of the Diver"?

> 10. FRANK ZAPPA: Classical fart with punk pretensions.

Heh, heh, heh...

> THE RUNNERS-UP: The Police/Sting; George Harrison; Fleetwood Mac; Elvis
> Costello; and almost every band California ever produced,
> especially the Eagles.

Especially the Eagles, with Police and Sting close behind... 8-)

--
George Robbins - now working for, uucp: {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing: domain: g...@cbmvax.commodore.com

Michael Silverman

Mar 31, 1992, 11:13:20 AM3/31/92
rcha...@athena.mit.edu (Ray Charbonneau) writes:

>And of course, what about Rush?

Do you have any reasons for thinking Rush is an overrated band (if so,
share them with the net) or are you another mindless Rush-flamer!

If you actually have reasons, myself (and most Rush fans, I am sure)
will respect you, but one-line posts like that don't present a very good
picture of yourself to us.

--
__o cub...@buhub.bradley.edu Mike Silverman
_ \<,_

Andrew Brezinski

Mar 31, 1992, 12:10:41 PM3/31/92
In article <12...@umd5.umd.edu> ap...@linus.umd.edu (CMSC 330) writes:
> THE TEN MOST OVERRATED ROCK BANDS EVER

All this tells me is that I don't agree with this guy's opinions about
overrated bands and would therefore probably not read REQUEST magazine.

I will say that I agree with some if the list and totally disagree with
the rest of the list. The reason I disagree is because the ones he
considers overrated but I don't are bands that I never hear people saying,
for example, "CCR are GOD."

Andy Brezinski
Intergraph Corporation
Huntsville, AL 35894-0001

U51...@uicvm.uic.edu

Mar 31, 1992, 12:16:30 PM3/31/92
In article <1992Mar29.1...@acsu.buffalo.edu>,
v129...@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (We dont play old music or new music. We play U2
music.) says:

>In article <1992Mar29.1...@athena.mit.edu>, rcha...@athena.mit.edu y
>(Ra
>Charbonneau) writes...

>>And of course, what about Rush?
>Led Zepplin is an obvious choice.

How can you say Zeppelin is overrated?! What do you know about Zeppelin, you
can't even spell it right. Led Zeppelin has changed the music scene forever.
Other than that, I agree about all the other overrated bands, especially
Hendrix and Rush.

Jeffrey Samuel Finn

Mar 31, 1992, 2:05:11 PM3/31/92

While I CAN see why you think that the Police are an overrated band (I
don't, tho. They're my favorite ever) I don't see how you can say
that sting is over-rated. His works are truely original and he is a
great entertainer, as well as songwriter and musician.

JeFFFiNN
------------------
If I knew what I was doing, why did I Choose 4 more years of School???

William J. Heights FOREVER!!!!!!!

Christopher Meyer (Fax Department)

Mar 31, 1992, 2:18:52 PM3/31/92
In article <12...@umd5.umd.edu> ap...@linus.umd.edu (CMSC 330) writes:

> Hey you rock-n-roll fans out there, I read this article in REQUEST magazine,
> and saved it. So now I'm posting it so you all can read it and see what you
> think.
>
> Hal

> THE TEN MOST OVERRATED ROCK BANDS EVER
>
>1. ERIC CLAPTON: What Cream passed off as improvisation was just indulgent
> wanking, plain and simple. If this Michelob salesman is
> God, it's a good argument for atheism.

I dunno, that's a little harsh...

>2. THE WHO: Roger Daltrey? Get serious.

Ok, I'll give 'em that one. But I'm not really the greatest judge of the
Who. (I only really like two songs).

>3. THE DOORS: Sure Jim Morrison was a great poet. Inspirational verse:
> "Dead cat in a top hat/Thinks he's an aristocrat/That's crap."

Yep, I have to admit, I "strongly dislike" the Doors. I'm
also having trouble with such timeless prose "Come on baby, light my fire."
Oh, come on...

>4. JIMI HENDRIX: Was inventing feedback really that difficult?

Wait, hold your fire (apologies to the HYF thread and Rush). The guy might
have been a little wacked out now and then, but he was something else...

>5. BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN: He started believing he was the working man's Dylan
> sometime after 'Darkness on the Edge of Town', but
> it didn't stop him from firing his band. He's boring
> and pretentious, and I'm allowed to say it 'cause I'm
> from Jersey.

Well, I sorta like him. Unpretentious (sp?), y'know?

(BANDS I REALLY COULDN'T JUDGE DELETED)

>9. STEVE WINDWOOD: He may be able to play 43 different instruments, but he
> still sounds like a Holiday Inn lounge act.

Maybe, but you gotta admit, it's the best of Holiday Inn...

>10. FRANK ZAPPA: Classical fart with punk pretensions.

Ha, ha, ha...

>THE RUNNERS-UP: The Police/Sting; George Harrison; Fleetwood Mac; Elvis
> Costello; and almost every band California ever produced,
> especially the Eagles.

Yeah, I can see the deserved criticism of the Police and the
Eagles, but ELVIS COSTELLO??? I'm hardly a fan of his, but that guy's
about as overrated as...as...well, let's just say he is NOT overrated.

thanks for your time,

chris

SHAILESH CHINCHALKAR

Mar 31, 1992, 3:04:32 PM3/31/92

Whatever you say about Rolling Stones, Rush and Led Zeppelin(how dare you?)
I am sure about one thing......

"PINK FLOYD" CAN NOT BE THE OVERRATED BAND ANY TIME.

David Roger Foss

Mar 31, 1992, 4:34:21 PM3/31/92

I am not the original poster, but I may be able to answer this.
Too many people are confusing "overrated" with "poor quality".

I myself think Rush is overrated not because they are bad. They aren't
bad at all. Its just that so many people look to these guys as "Gods".
They get violently defensive when anyone expresses an unfavorable
opinion about the band. I mean, no band is _that_ good.
That's why these discussions are kind of pointless, a band may be really
good but still overrated.

I hope this is better than a one-line blurb.

David Foss

U19...@uicvm.uic.edu

Mar 31, 1992, 4:40:18 PM3/31/92
In article <ktfh5v...@chort.usc.edu>, ro...@chort.usc.edu (Man on a Mission)
says:

>In article <1992Mar29.1...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> "Stephen C. Miller"
><stcm...@copper.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>>
>> Milli Vanilli!!!

>Sorry, they're not an overrated band.

>Heck, they werent' even a band.

>Where's my rifle? AAAHH Shoot it shoot it it's a lipsync

Shoot it? Bah. Leave it there for posterity so they can't get a job in the
entertainment biz ever again. Now THAT's revenge.

** Chris Krolczyk,esq. * DISCLAIMER: My opinions are in **
** Maniac-at-Large * no way endorsed by the Univer- **
** U19...@UICVM.BITNET * sity of Illinois at Chicago. **
** u19...@uicvm.uic.edu * So there. Nyaah. **

U19...@uicvm.uic.edu

Mar 31, 1992, 4:43:45 PM3/31/92
In article <1992Mar30....@sdc.com>, no...@sdc.com (Norm) says:

>Well for my .02, I think that GNR is far and away the most overated band
>of all time. These guys are the biggest cliche I've ever seen. They've
>got a tattooed phoney from Indiana, a doped-up bozo in a top hat, covers
>from Wing's Greatest Hits, and stupid, racist, sexist lyrics.

GnR is a surrogate for Bon Scott-era AC/DC primarily aimed at MTV dorks
who missed the _real_ thing the first time around. More below the belt I
cannot get.

>This band is only popular because they look good on TV.

...in comparison to a car crash,maybe,but so what?

Walker Aumann

Mar 31, 1992, 5:15:47 PM3/31/92

>Well for my .02, I think that GNR is far and away the most overated band
>of all time. These guys are the biggest cliche I've ever seen. They've
>got a tattooed phoney from Indiana, a doped-up bozo in a top hat, covers
>from Wing's Greatest Hits, and stupid, racist, sexist lyrics.

And how many other bands were like this at the time? Granted, this is what the
LA metal scene looked like at the time, but they were the first to make it.
Faster Pussycat, L.A. Guns, etc. all hit afterwards. I'm not saying that
GN'R is God's gift to rock 'n' roll, but they are a pretty good band. It's not
their fault that most everyone coming out of LA since then has made them cliche.

I'm not sure if it's still true now, but during the first 3-6 months, I'd say
that the Doors were the most overrated band (given the sudden surge in
popularity that accompanied the movie). Another good candidate would be the
Grateful Dead (at least around here).

Walker

Jeff Wilson

Mar 31, 1992, 5:33:55 PM3/31/92
<1992Mar29.1...@athena.mit.edu> <1992Mar29....@wam.umd.edu>
<1992Mar30.0...@acsu.buffalo.edu>
<1992Mar30....@acsu.buffalo.edu>

The Velvet Underground
The Doors
Bob Dylan (I *know*, he's not a band, he's just overrated.)
Boston
Jefferson Airplane-Starship
Some incarnations of Yes.
Springsteen
U2
Steve Miller
and the # 1 overrated band of all time . . .

CROSBY STILLS AND NASH!
--
jwi...@ncratl.atlantaga.ncr.com (Jeff Wilson)

"BEANS!"

Matthew R Hodges

Mar 31, 1992, 5:49:21 PM3/31/92
In article <8dq=TbK00aw...@andrew.cmu.edu> jf...@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Samuel Finn) writes:

>don't, tho. They're my favorite ever) I don't see how you can say
>that sting is over-rated. His works are truely original and he is a
^^^^^^^^

Hahahahahahahaha, Sting is the only musician I know to quote himself in
his own songs. This is by far from original.

matt

Gerald Sylvester

Mar 31, 1992, 6:47:17 PM3/31/92

If GNR is not the most overrated (I couldn't say b/c I don't listen to them),
they are definitely the most immature band. Axl(sp?) Rose makes me sick.
How can anyone show up an hour and a half, two or three hours
late to their own concert? How can anyone jump into an audience to go
after someone who "the guards were beating up" or because "they were
taking illegal pictures" from the the 20th row. Lets see, 20th row....
if each row is 2 1/2 feet (sorry about the non-metric) wide and there
is a 8 foot barrier between the stage and front row, that makes the
person at least 58 feet away from the stage. I have taken pictures when
I was less than 7 or 8 feet away and most of the time it is practically
shear (sp?) luck that you get more than a quarter of them coming out
acceptable (this is not just me by the way). If you are 58 feet away
you are going to have to sneak in a 600 mm/f4 lens which is 3 feet long (?).
Tell me how you are going to sneak that in? Even if a person did get it
in, from that far back you will *NEVER* get anything that is worth while.
But, then again, it is worth trashing a brand new arena, isn't it? I
think it is time for Axl Rose/ GNR to grow up.

Gerald Sylvester

KE...@cunyvm.bitnet

Mar 31, 1992, 7:50:38 PM3/31/92
if anyone reads something on the net, why do they feel that they have to
respond and expose the others to low iq bullshit.
if you feel the urge to start a war, go get your manupilative devices and
have some fun,and netlife will be better for all of us.
if you have problems with someone else's opinions,then go hump a horse or
depending on your sex go get humped by a horse.(get the point yet becker).
now some of you will just die, if you don't get to reply to this message-
then just die. if you feel you just have to get the last word in- note
i will not reply,i will let you win.
pissed off at the
world,
kenny.
the greatest band of the 90's- guns'n'roses
...........anarchy,anarchy,anarchy,anarchy,anarchy,anarchy....................

Jeffrey Samuel Finn

Mar 31, 1992, 11:30:47 PM3/31/92
From: mode...@iastate.edu (Matthew R Hodges)

>Hahahahahahahaha, Sting is the only musician I know to quote himself in
>his own songs. This is by far from original.

Well, if he's the only musician that does it, then it IS original

Gerald Sylvester

Apr 1, 1992, 1:36:13 AM4/1/92

> How can you say Zeppelin is overrated?! What do you know about Zeppelin, you
> can't even spell it right. Led Zeppelin has changed the music scene forever.
>Other than that, I agree about all the other overrated bands, especially
>Hendrix and Rush.

Boy, is that a contradiction. I am not even a big or for that matter
a minor Hendrix fan and I have to point this out. Most (or many, many)
guitarists list Hendrix as a major influence or at least many guitarists
influences had Hendrix as a major influence. I do not know of anyone
who has not said Hendrix was not a major influence (but I am sure
this group can find a few 8-) ). Now Rush is another story. Most
people will contend that they are ok/good/very good/excellent band
but not that very influential. Maybe influential to a few but not
enough to cause a minor revelution like Hendrix did.

Gerald Sylvester

Ray Charbonneau

Apr 1, 1992, 7:57:03 AM4/1/92
In article <1992Mar31.1...@bradley.bradley.edu>, cub...@buhub.bradley.edu (Michael Silverman) writes:
|> rcha...@athena.mit.edu (Ray Charbonneau) writes:
|>
|> >And of course, what about Rush?
|>
|> Do you have any reasons for thinking Rush is an overrated band (if so,
|> share them with the net) or are you another mindless Rush-flamer!
|>
|> If you actually have reasons, myself (and most Rush fans, I am sure)
|> will respect you, but one-line posts like that don't present a very good
|> picture of yourself to us.

I actually have reasons, I don't expect anyone to really care what they are, and
I really don't care what you think. As if my reasons would convince a
net.rush.fan that he was wrong to like them...

Why are Rush-fans so defensive?

I really shouldn't post this, but...:)

--
Ray Charbonneau | I feel so inar-inar-inar-inar tic-u-late
rcha...@athena.mit.edu | -- Roger Taylor (Queen)
MIT and the Library Systems Office are glad that I'm posting my opinions
here so that they don't have to listen to them anymore.

U36...@uicvm.uic.edu

Apr 1, 1992, 10:35:33 AM4/1/92