Sisters of Mercy Peel Session

Peter Henriksson

Nov 5, 1991, 4:10:26 AM11/5/91

A couple of weeks ago someone was wondering about the Sisters Peel session.
Well, I don't know who's holding the legal rights for it , nor if it'll ever
be released in the John Peel Session series.

Last week however, I did find a bootleg from the sessions , it's called
PSYCHEDELIC SESSIONS , and contains both Sisters appearances at John Peel,
together with another recording from the Kid Jensen show on BBC.

The tracks are: 1969, FLOORSHOW, GOOD THINGS, and ALICE from J.P.S. 1982,
JOLENE and BURN from the Kid Jensen session 1983 plus POISON DOOR,
NO TIME TO CRY, EMMALINE, GIMMIE SHELTER and SISTERS OF MERCY from J.P.S. 1984.
If you're interested in Sisters and find this somewhere it's definitely
worth buying.

I am wondering about the cover of JOLENE. Does anyone know if they've played
that song on any other occasion in concert or elsewhere, and if so ,if there
exists a recording of that ? _
_(_)_
********************************************************** O O O
* Peter Henriksson * Email: eua...@eua.ericsson.se * ____ O O O
* Ellemtel Telecom Labs * Phone nat : 08 727 3854 * " ' ' OOO
* BOX 1505,125 25 Alvsjo * Phone int : +46 8 727 3854 * \_____|
* Stockholm , SWEDEN * Memoid : eua.euaphe * |
*********************************************************************** |
D I S C G O L F E R S H A V E S M O O T H E R A P P R O A C H E S ! |

Party Animal

Nov 5, 1991, 6:59:51 AM11/5/91
In article <1991Nov5.0...@eua.ericsson.se> eua...@eua.ericsson.se (Peter Henriksson) writes:

>A couple of weeks ago someone was wondering about the Sisters Peel session.
>Well, I don't know who's holding the legal rights for it , nor if it'll ever
>be released in the John Peel Session series.
>
>Last week however, I did find a bootleg from the sessions , it's called
>PSYCHEDELIC SESSIONS , and contains both Sisters appearances at John Peel,
>together with another recording from the Kid Jensen show on BBC.
>
>The tracks are: 1969, FLOORSHOW, GOOD THINGS, and ALICE from J.P.S. 1982,
>JOLENE and BURN from the Kid Jensen session 1983 plus POISON DOOR,
>NO TIME TO CRY, EMMALINE, GIMMIE SHELTER and SISTERS OF MERCY from J.P.S. 1984.
>If you're interested in Sisters and find this somewhere it's definitely
>worth buying.
>
>I am wondering about the cover of JOLENE. Does anyone know if they've played
>that song on any other occasion in concert or elsewhere, and if so ,if there
>exists a recording of that ?
>

>The Sisters played Jolene last November at wembley (probably on each night)
> Chris Fo

Tone

Nov 6, 1991, 7:17:13 AM11/6/91
In article <1991Nov5.0...@eua.ericsson.se> eua...@eua.ericsson.se (Peter Henriksson) writes:

> STUFF DELETED

>I am wondering about the cover of JOLENE. Does anyone know if they've played
>that song on any other occasion in concert or elsewhere, and if so ,if there
>exists a recording of that ? _
> _(_)_
>********************************************************** O O O
>* Peter Henriksson * Email: eua...@eua.ericsson.se * ____ O O O
>* Ellemtel Telecom Labs * Phone nat : 08 727 3854 * " ' ' OOO
>* BOX 1505,125 25 Alvsjo * Phone int : +46 8 727 3854 * \_____|
>* Stockholm , SWEDEN * Memoid : eua.euaphe * |
>*********************************************************************** |
>D I S C G O L F E R S H A V E S M O O T H E R A P P R O A C H E S ! |

The Sisters used to regularly play a number of bizarre cover versions.
Jolene was a regular favourite as was Gimme,Gimme,Gimme (A man after Midnight)
the old Abba song. Any bootlegs circa 1985 (It seems such a long time ago now..
God I must be getting old...) are likely to contain the tracks. No official
release of Jolene has been made to my knowledge. Emmaline (the actual title may
be just Emma), the old Hot Chocolate favourite, was released as the b-side of
the 12" of This Corosion.
Other songs covered by the Sisters include Knocking on Heavens Door and a
strange version of Got the Whole World In Our Hands at this years Reading
Festival.

Unhelpfully

Tone.
es...@csv.warwick.ac.uk "Outa her nightmare, and back into mine"
es...@eng.warwick.ac.uk - Cave/Lane

Jon P Baker

Nov 5, 1991, 10:29:41 PM11/5/91
csg...@cck.cov.ac.uk (Party Animal) writes:

>In article <1991Nov5.0...@eua.ericsson.se> eua...@eua.ericsson.se (Peter Henriksson) writes:
>>
>>The tracks are: 1969, FLOORSHOW, GOOD THINGS, and ALICE from J.P.S. 1982,

^^^^

Is "1969" a different song than "1959" or is that a typo? I am sitting here
listening to a Xymox album I taped off the radio, and the "fliping the
album over song" was "1959" by Sisters of Mercy. Beautiful song.

And it is sad the stuff they are putting out now.

Jon
--
+------------------+--------------------------------+
| Jon Paul Baker | jpb...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |

sm00sh

Nov 6, 1991, 1:19:38 AM11/6/91

1969 is different from 1959... they are *way* different in my opinion... 1959
is much more dramtic and moody and depressing... an excellent song to put on
repeat on the disc player when sleeping at night...

jason

--
jada...@acsu.buffalo.edu
v285...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu

soren--Ms. Jackson if you're nasty

Nov 6, 1991, 5:54:13 PM11/6/91
In article <jpbaker.689398181@silver> jpb...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon P Baker) writes:
>csg...@cck.cov.ac.uk (Party Animal) writes:

>>In article <1991Nov5.0...@eua.ericsson.se> eua...@eua.ericsson.se (Peter Henriksson) writes:

>>>The tracks are: 1969, FLOORSHOW, GOOD THINGS, and ALICE from J.P.S. 1982,
> ^^^^

>Is "1969" a different song than "1959" or is that a typo? I am sitting here
>listening to a Xymox album I taped off the radio, and the "fliping the
>album over song" was "1959" by Sisters of Mercy. Beautiful song.

They are completely different songs. "1969" is a cover of a song from
the first Stooges album. It was released on the "Alice" 12" from many
many years ago which is now probably impossible to find, and which I
still kick myself heavily for not picking up when I had the chance.

--
"How could I dance with another/When I saw him standing there" --Tiffany
soren f petersen : i AM NOT

Christopher Samuel

Nov 7, 1991, 10:42:56 AM11/7/91
In article <1991Nov6.1...@hellgate.utah.edu>
speterse%peruvian...@cs.utah.edu
(soren--Ms. Jackson if you're nasty) doodled:

> They are completely different songs. "1969" is a cover of a song from
> the first Stooges album. It was released on the "Alice" 12" from many
> many years ago which is now probably impossible to find, and which I
> still kick myself heavily for not picking up when I had the chance.

I'm not sure if it's been deleted yet, but I have seen it aound quite
frequently here in Wales, so you could try ordering it from somewhere in
the UK if you are that desperate.

- Chris
--
Christopher Samuel| RFC: cc...@aber.ac.uk ALTERNATE: csa...@nyx.cs.du.edu
c/o Physics Dept.,| JNT: cc...@uk.ac.aber UUCP: *!mcsun!ukc!aber!ccs7

David Cook

Nov 8, 1991, 8:40:13 AM11/8/91
In article <1991Nov6.1...@hellgate.utah.edu> speterse%peruvian...@cs.utah.edu (soren--Ms. Jackson if you're nasty) writes:
>In article <jpbaker.689398181@silver> jpb...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon P Baker) writes:
>>csg...@cck.cov.ac.uk (Party Animal) writes:

>> ^^^^
>
>They are completely different songs. "1969" is a cover of a song from
>the first Stooges album. It was released on the "Alice" 12" from many
>many years ago which is now probably impossible to find, and which I
>still kick myself heavily for not picking up when I had the chance.

It seems that the Sisters of Mercy have made many releases over
the years, which are now very hard to get (In the 'kicking myself'
category, I put the 10" (I think) import single, which I saw once
in a record shop here, and never again, which had 'Colours', and
_another_ version of 'This Corrosion', and one other track on it).

Does anyone have a discography of all the Sisters' releases ?
(I would appreciate order numbers for them, as well, as I'm going
to get a CD player soon, and I want to get the three Sisters cassettes
I currently have on CD (before the cassettes wear out ! :-) )

Thanks in advance,

--
David T Cook | e-mail: dc...@spam.adelaide.edu.au | Phone: +61 8 228 5709
`... this was physics as they knew it to be, an idiot standing at a

Ian Curtis

Nov 9, 1991, 3:50:52 PM11/9/91
> Does anyone have a discography of all the Sisters' releases ?
>(I would appreciate order numbers for them, as well, as I'm going
>to get a CD player soon, and I want to get the three Sisters cassettes
>I currently have on CD (before the cassettes wear out ! :-) )
>
>Thanks in advance,

Here's a Sisters discography I found on a ftp site. It was originally
posted /send by: Bela Lugosi <ie...@u.washington.edu>.

THE SISTERS OF MERCY DISCOGRAPHY
official releases
updated 10/12/91

KEY- HCP=Highest Chart Position
- ROGI=run-out groove inscription
First pressing are Made in England rather than France, Germany or Holland
tho not necessarily as is the case of WYDSM which only has german
pressings.

Band personnel goes by the following key:
SIS 1= Craig Adams-bass SIS 2= Craig Adams-bass
Gary Marx-guitar Gary Marx-guitar
Ben Gunn-Guitar Wayne Hussey-guitar

SIS 3 Tony James-bass
Tim Brecheno-guitar
Andreas Bruhn-guitar

All band line-ups include:
Andrew Eldritch-vocals
Doktor Avalanche-drums

line-ups featuring on Andrew Eldritch and one other person with simply be
noted

for the Vision thing tour Dan Donovan was added as Keyboard player/Doktor
Avalanche operator and is featured on the WYDSM b-sides only.

Suzanne Josesowicz replaced him for the rest of the tour and as yet does not
appear on a recording.

ALBUMS

1. First and Last and Always
Black Planet[4:27]/Walk Away[3:20]/No Time to Cry[3:54]/A Rock and a
Hard Place[3:36]/Marian(version)[5:37]/First and Last and Always[3:58]
Possession[4:36]/Nine While Nine[4:07]/Amphetamine Logic[4:46]/Some
Kind of Stranger[7:16]
a. LP Merciful Release MR 337 L mar 1985 first pressing has gatefold
sleeve

Black Planet[4:35]/Walk Away[3:23]/No Time to Cry[3:53]/A Rock and a
Hard Place[3:30]/Marian(version)[5:41]/First and Last and Always[4:11]
Possession[4:36]/Nine While Nine[4:06]/Amphetamine Logic[4:48]/Some
Kind of Stranger[7:17]
b. CD Merciful Release MR 240 616-2 1988

c. CS Merciful Release MR 337 C mar 1985
Produced by Dave Allen
Japanese version has a different mix and came with a biography and
lyrics in Japanese
there are Spanish and German issues as well
CD and later tape pressing have a different mix from the LP. possibly
the Japanese mix
HCP: UK #14
Personnel: SIS2

2. Floodland
Dominion/Mother Russia[6:49]/Flood I[6:02]/Lucretia My Reflection[4:43]
1959[4:00]/This Corrosion[8:56]/Flood II[6:01]/Driven Like the Snow
[4:26]/Neverland(a fragment)[2:37]
a. LP Merciful Release MR 441 L nov 1987 first pressing with numbers
and lyric sheet

Dominion/Mother Russia[7:01]/Flood I[6:22]/Lucretia My Reflection[4:57]
1959[4:09]/This Corrosion[10:55]/Flood II[6:47]/Driven Like the Snow
[6:27]/Never Land(a fragment)[2:46]
b. CD Merciful Release MR 242246-2 1987 + Torch & Colours

c. CS Merciful Release MR 441 C nov 1987 +Torch & Colours
d. LP Merciful Release MR 441ltd numbered lp
Produced by Andrew Eldritch with Larry Alexander
except Dominion/Mother Russia by Eldritch/Steinman and This Corrosion
by Steinman
Personnel: Patricia Morrison-bass,vocals
this is currently being disputed in court. tho
PM definitely contributed vocals

3. Vision Thing
Vision Thing;Ribbons;Detonation Boulevard;Something Fast;When You Don't
See Me;Doctor Jeep;More;I Was Wrong
a. LP Merciful Release MR 449 L oct 22,1990
b. CS Merciful Release MR 449 C
b. CD Merciful Release MR 9031-72663-2 1990
Produced by Andrew Eldritch except More by Eldritch/Steinman
Personnel: SIS 3

Singles, EPs etc.

1. the Damage Done b/w Watch & Home of the Hitmen
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 007 1980
widely bootlegged
ROGI: "for spiggy" & "a porky prime cut"
limited to 1000 copies
Personel: Gary Marx-guitar, possibly bass as well
original valued at $200+
many original copies have the labels on the wrong sides.

2. Body Electric b/w Adrenochrome
a. 7" Merciful Release/CNT MR CNT 002 apr 1982
ROGI: "for spiggy" "bilbo tape one" "rise and reverberate"
Cover art is Francis Bacon's _Study After Velasquez_
released via CNT due to financial troubles at Merciful Release
Personnel: SIS 1

3. Alice b/w Floorshow
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 015 nov 1982
produced by John Ashton
Entered Independent Chart at #26
also available on white vinyl
ROGI:"Kenny Giles Walks on Water" "a Porky Prime Cut" (both sides)
"for spiggy-flash that ash"
Cover art is Henri Matisse's _Nude Blue_
French version is white and gold on black sleeve
Personnel: SIS 1

4. Anaconda b/w Phantom
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 019 mar 1983
Single of the Week in Sounds
ROGI: "a porky prime cut" "nothing"
"spiggy rides again
Cover art taken from Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies
Personnel: SIS 1

5. Alice/Floorshow b/w Phantom/1969
a. 12" Merciful Release MR 021 mar 1983
also available with reversed cover colors (could be a boot)
also released by Braineater in US financed by John Ashton
ROGI: "im western nights-jesus loves the sisters" "a porky prime cut"
"for spiggy(foreign field)" "mein irisch kind. wo weilest du?"
Personnel: SIS 1

6. the Reptile House E.P.
Kiss the Carpet/Lights/Valentine/Fix/Burn
a. 12"EP Merciful Release MR 023 may 1983
first 5,000 came with lyric sheet
first pressing is violet on crimson rather than pink on black
Single of the Week in NME
ROGI: "for spiggy-paint it black"
Cover art taken from a National Geographic magazine
Personnel: SIS 1

7. Temple of Love b/w Heartland
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 027 oct 1983
ROGI:"for spiggy" "gonzoid amphetamine filth is dead"
Himalayan copies in light green on black matte sleeve
b. 12" Merciful Release MRX 027 1983 Extended version + Gimme Shelter
also available on red vinyl from Benelux in Belgium 500 copies
also released by Braineater in US
ROGI: "for spiggy" "long live gonzoid amphetamine filth"
HCP: #2 on the Independent Chart
Personnel: SIS 1

8. Body & Soul b/w Train
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 029 june 1984
b. 12" Merciful Release MR 029 T 1984 + Body Electric & Afterhours
available with blue or white cover art. First pressing was
blue but this is not necessarily indicative.
Canadian copies feature a maple leaf on the back
produced by Andrew Eldritch
ROGI: "for spiggy+alan vega"
Cover is from Dante's _Inferno_ depicting Dante and Virgil on Hell's
Ninth level
Personnel: SIS 2

9. Walk Away b/w Poison Door
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 033 oct 1984 + Lmt Ed. flexi of "Long Train"
b. 12" Merciful Release MR 033 T 1984 + On the Wire and flexi disc
Produced by Dave Allen
HCP: #45
Original cover is red on black. later pressings are silver on black
Personnel; SIS 2

10. No Time to Cry b/w Blood Money
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 335 feb 1985
b. 12" Merciful Release MR 335 T 1985 + Bury Me Deep
original pressimg in matte black sleeve.Later pressings feature
the lace pattern from the cover of FALAA in red.
NTTC produced by Dave Allen
BM & BMD produced by Andrew Eldritch
HCP: #63
Personnel: SIS 2

11. This Corrosion b/w Torch
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 039 sept 1987
b. 12" Merciful Release MR 039 T 1987 extended + Colours
c. CD Merciful Release MR 039 CD 1987 11.5 min version + Colours
gatefold case
d. CS Merciful Release MR 039 C has all four of the above
e. BOX Merciful Release MR 039 B 7" box set + inserts
ROGI-"I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours..."
TC produced by Jim Steinman
Torch produced by Andrew Eldritch
Colours produced by Andew Elditch with Larry Alexander
HCP: #13
Personnel: Patricia Morrison-bass,vocals(see Floodland note)
New York Choral Society-choral vocals

12. Dominion b/w Untitled/Sandstorm
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 043 feb 1988
b. 12" Merciful Release MR 043 T 1988 + Emma also CDN pressings
c. CD3" Merciful Release MR 043 CD 1988 replaces Emma with Ozymandias
d. CS Merciful Release MR 043 C box set+photo insert " "
e. 12" Merciful Release MR 043 TB box + poster
Dominion produced by Steinman/Eldritch/Alexander
Untitled and Emma produced by Hugh Jones
HCP: #13
Personnel: Patricia Morrison-bass ,vocals see Floodland note
Ozymandias is Dominion played backwards

13. Lucretia My Reflection b/w Long Train(1984)
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 045 june 1988 Long Train(1984) is the version
b. 12" Merciful Release MR 045 T extended given away with MR 033.
c. CD Merciful Release MR 45 CD 1988 same as 12"
produced by Andrew Eldritch with Larry Alexander
also CDN pressing of 12"
Personnel: Patricia Morrison-bass,vocals on Lucretia see Floodland note
SIS 2 on Long Train(1984)

14. More b/w You Could Be the One
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 47 oct 1,1990 short version
b. 12" Merciful Releease MR 47T long version
c. CD Merciful Release MR 47 CD all three
d. CD Merciful Release MR 47 CDX 12" gatefold pack and picture disc
limited to 5000 copies
More produced by Eldritch/Steinman
YCBTO produced by Andrew Eldritch
HCP: #11
Some copies of the 7" have reversed labels
Personnel: SIS 3

15. Doctor Jeep(radio edit) b/w Knockin' on Heaven's Door(live bootleg)
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 51 Dec 1990
b. 12" Merciful Release MR 51 T 1990 extended version
c. CD Merciful Release MR 51 CD all three songs
d. 12" Merciful Release MR 51 TX DJ (8.54 + Burn LBR/Amphetamine Logic
LBR) + poster limited to 5000 copies
ROGI- "the exchange r.s." "exchange"
produced by Andrew Eldritch
live tracks recorded in Bremen, Germany 1985
Personnel: SIS 3 on Doctor Jeep
SIS 2 on live tracks

16. When You Don't See me(remix) b/w Ribbons(live)
a. 7" Merciful Release MR 53 Feb 1991
b. 12" Merciful Release MR 53T 1991
c. CD Merciful Release MR 53 CD 1991 + Something Fast(live)
d. 12" Merciful Release MR 53 TX 1991 lmt ed. + patch
limited to 5000 copies
produced by Andrew Eldritch
only released in germany
live tracks recorded at the Aufhahme,Hamburg,Germany 11/17/90
Personnel: SIS 3

COMPILATION APPEARANCES

1. They Shall Not Pass
a. LP Abstract AABT 400 contains Body Electric & Adrenochrome
b. CD Abstract AABT 400

PROMOTIONAL RELEASES
all are promo only
ELEKTA PROMOS

1. Black Planet b/w Walk Away
a. 12" Elektra 1985

2. This Corrosion(edit 4.24) b/w This Corrosion(extended 8.35)
a. 12" Elektra ED 5263 1987

3.This Corrosion b/w Torch/Colours
a. CD very ltd ed black cd

4. Dominion/Untitled b/w Sandstorm/Emma
a.black label propmotional 12"

5 Dominion/Dominion/Dominion
a. 12" Elektra ED 5294 1988

6. Lucretia My Reflection( edit 4.24) b/w Lucretia My Reflection(4.57 album)/
Lucretia My Reflection(9.52)
a.12" Elektra ED 5321 1988

7. Lucretria My Reflection(4.24 edit) b/w Lucretia My Reflection(4.24 edit)
a. 7" Elektra 7-69378 1988

8. Floodland
a. radioplay lp

9.Floodland + Torch
a.CS Elektra 60792 promo only

10. More(4.37)/More(8.30)/You Could Be the One
a.CD Elektra 1990 white label in jewel box

11. Detonation Boulevard(remix 3.49)
a. CD Elektra 8308-2 promo only

12. Tour Thing '91
Blood Money/Possession/A Rock and a Hard Place/This Corrosion(7"
ver.)/1959/Ribbons/Doctor Jeep/I Was Wrong
a. CD Elektra PRCD8343 1991
DJ promo. has MR logo on black disc. tour dates on the back
of the jewel box

13. I Was Wrong(edit)/Interview with Danny Fields/I Was Wrong(lp)
a. CD Elektra PRCD 8412-2 1991
DJ promo. Has MR logo on disc. Tour dates are on the back of the
insert.

INTERVIEWS

1. the Conversation Disc series
a. CD ABCD017 picture disc

2. the Talking Pictures series
a. CD Bakatabak BAK CBAK 4007 picture disc
same interview as 12" interview picture disc

3. interview picture disc
a. LP Baktabak BAK 2082 Floodland promotion so so sound quality

4. Baktabak interview picture discs
a. 7"(4) BAKTABAK bakpak 1009
picture discs in clear plastic sheet

5. 12" Box set
a.CD CID 001
Andrew Eldritch interview
blue cover

6. Black Hat Dark Glasses
a. CD3 ELDRITCH 1
interview circa '84 on Music View in New York.
6 minutes long.
booklet reprints SOM article from issue 4 of Spiral Scratch
this is probably a bootleg

VIDEO RELEASES

WAKE-choruses from under the rock
shot live at the Royal Albert Hall 6/18/85
First and Last and Always/Body and Soul/Marian/No Time to Cry/
Walk Away/Possession/Emma/Apmhetamine Logic/a Rock and a Hard
Place/Floorshow/Alice/Fix/Knockin' n Heaven's Door

NOTES:the last gig before the breakup. Louie, Louie and Ghostrider were played
as an unexpected encore and thus not filmed.

SHOT
This Corrosion/Dominion/Lucretia My Reflection/1959

NOTES:a compilation of videos released with Floodland. except for 1959 which
was shot exclusively for this release.

All of the regular releases on this discograhy are currently in print. So if
you can't find it, try special ordering it.(this excepts Damage Done and Body
Electric, tho Body Electric is available on They Shall Not Pass which is in
print.

the information on this discography comes from many sources but much of it
comes from the book 'Life' and the fanzine 'Heartland'. both recommended.
see individual thanx in Appendix A
e-mail ie...@byron.u.washington.edu for info request or to add stuff to this
discography.
lyrics for most of these are also available by e-mail request