The version of "Everybody Knows" from "Pump Up the Volume"

Eric Huppertz

Nov 30, 1992, 3:00:31 AM11/30/92

First let me say thanks to all the people who told me where to find the
dance tracks from "Basic Instinct" (TechnoSonic Vol. I, and LaTOUR by
LaTOUR).

So NOW I'm curious as to where the version of "Everybody Knows" from the
Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--the version on
the CD is a faster and (IMHO) less appealing version by Concrete Blonde.
Does anyone know who performed the movie version, and if there's a CD
on which it can be found?

TIA,

-e.
--
_|_| _|_| _| _|_|_| Eric J. Huppertz ejhu...@ilstu.edu
_|_|_| _| _| =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Nascent Virion.....

Nov 30, 1992, 5:34:00 AM11/30/92

>So NOW I'm curious as to where the version of "Everybody Knows" from the
>Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--the version on
>the CD is a faster and (IMHO) less appealing version by Concrete Blonde.
>Does anyone know who performed the movie version, and if there's a CD
>on which it can be found?

Yes... This song was sung by the WRITER of the song:
Leonard Cohen. IT's on one of his LP's can't remember which.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-John Mc Donagh. ~~ {Nascent Virion}
mcdo...@unix2.tcd.ie ~~ "I dress my tears in costumes.."
~~
"Let me sleep all night in your soul kitchen,
Warm my mind near your gentle stove,
Turn me out and I'll wander, baby, Stumblin' in the neon grove."Jim Morrison

KCS...@vm.cmp.ilstu.edu

Nov 30, 1992, 7:15:54 AM11/30/92
In article <mcdonghj....@unix2.tcd.ie>

mcdo...@unix2.tcd.ie (Nascent Virion.....) writes:

>In <1992Nov30....@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> ejhu...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Huppertz) writes:
>
>>So NOW I'm curious as to where the version of "Everybody Knows" from the
>>Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--the version on
>>the CD is a faster and (IMHO) less appealing version by Concrete Blonde.
>>Does anyone know who performed the movie version, and if there's a CD
>>on which it can be found?
>
>Yes... This song was sung by the WRITER of the song:
>Leonard Cohen. IT's on one of his LP's can't remember which.

"I'm Your Man" - Leonard Cohen

KARL OVE SONNICHSEN

Nov 30, 1992, 9:59:24 AM11/30/92
In article <1992Nov30....@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> ejhu...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Huppertz) writes:
>From: ejhu...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Huppertz)
>Subject: The version of "Everybody Knows" from "Pump Up the Volume"
>Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1992 08:00:31 GMT

>TIA,

It's a great song by Leonard Cohn, if I'm not mistaken (but I probably am)
it's on his -I'm your man- cd.
Karl
~ "Music for Rhinos" -Pearl Jam ~
~ ~

Spoony G

Nov 30, 1992, 10:37:05 AM11/30/92
>So NOW I'm curious as to where the version of "Everybody Knows" from the
>Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--the version on
>the CD is a faster and (IMHO) less appealing version by Concrete Blonde.
>Does anyone know who performed the movie version, and if there's a CD
>on which it can be found?

The movie version is done by Leonard Cohen, but I don't know which
album it's from...

-- Spoony G --
m...@wam.umd.edu

John Fereira

Nov 30, 1992, 8:49:21 PM11/30/92
|So NOW I'm curious as to where the version of "Everybody Knows" from the
|Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--

I'll have to admit. I never thought I'd see the words "Pump Up the Volume"
in alt.music.progressive.

Followups set to rec.music.misc.

--
+==========================================================================+
| John Fereira | Auspex Systems | "Ask me about my vow of silence." |

plowe...@vax.clarku.edu

Dec 1, 1992, 1:50:11 PM12/1/92
it is leonard cohen's "i'm your man", remembe the cover comp. "i'm your fan"?

Christopher Cooney

Dec 3, 1992, 1:27:16 AM12/3/92
>>Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--the version on
>>the CD is a faster and (IMHO) less appealing version by Concrete Blonde.
>>Does anyone know who performed the movie version, and if there's a CD
>>on which it can be found?
>
>Record it off the video!!!!!Jif Cov uni

I believe the song was sung by Leonard Cohen, but I'm not sure which of
his albums it is on. It's an awesome song though.

Nat'l Mediocre Soc.

Nov 30, 1992, 12:12:53 PM11/30/92
>So NOW I'm curious as to where the version of "Everybody Knows" from the
>Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--the version on
>the CD is a faster and (IMHO) less appealing version by Concrete Blonde.
>Does anyone know who performed the movie version, and if there's a CD
>on which it can be found?
The version on the CD is the one used in the movie. In the movie it was
played at a slower speed. Ahhh, the wonders of vinyl. But, it was Concrete
Blonde who performed it in the movie.

Steve

--
| The National Mediocre Society | Remember, only the mediocre are |
| c/o Stephen C. Litterst | always at their best. |

David Vessell

Dec 3, 1992, 1:28:27 PM12/3/92
litt...@butterscotch.cns.udel.edu (Nat'l Mediocre Soc.) writes:

>ejhu...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Huppertz) writes:
>>
>>So NOW I'm curious as to where the version of "Everybody Knows" from the
>>Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--the version on
>>the CD is a faster and (IMHO) less appealing version by Concrete Blonde.
>>Does anyone know who performed the movie version, and if there's a CD
>>on which it can be found?

>The version on the CD is the one used in the movie. In the movie it was
>played at a slower speed. Ahhh, the wonders of vinyl. But, it was Concrete
>Blonde who performed it in the movie.

Not.

True, the Concrete Blonde version is used in the movie, but only in the
jeep scene near the end. The 'slow' version is the ORIGINAL version
recorded by Leonard Cohen. Check the movie credits.

--
davE. Making the world safe for intelligent dance music. da...@bradley.edu.
########## David L. Vessell -- Bradley University Computing Services #########

The Great Grendel-Khan

Dec 9, 1992, 12:42:42 PM12/9/92
In article <1992Nov30.1...@udel.edu> litt...@butterscotch.cns.udel.edu (Nat'l Mediocre Soc.) writes:
>In article <1992Nov30....@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> ejhu...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Huppertz) writes:
>>

>>So NOW I'm curious as to where the version of "Everybody Knows" from the
>>Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--the version on
>>the CD is a faster and (IMHO) less appealing version by Concrete Blonde.
>>Does anyone know who performed the movie version, and if there's a CD
>>on which it can be found?

>The version on the CD is the one used in the movie. In the movie it was
>played at a slower speed. Ahhh, the wonders of vinyl. But, it was Concrete
>Blonde who performed it in the movie.
>
> Steve

I was going to write some scathing flames on this one about how ignorance
is bliss and how onw should read the music credits at the end of a movie,
before trying to sound informed, but I figured as Steve reads on in the
news group he will really start to regret having written and posted this
as he reads the 40 articles saying the L. Cohen wrote the song in the movie.
--
The Great Grendel-Khan, | They called me the fool, they called me the child
Earth Rim Roamer. | I found an angel of the night;
| The voice was low, the look was bright.
arg...@iastate.edu | She looked upon my crown and smiled. -Tennyson-

wc...@virginia.edu

Dec 9, 1992, 6:02:31 PM12/9/92
Leonard Cohen is the singer ("Don't go home with your hard-on"
etc) His music can be found on many compilation CD's Leonard
Cohen's Greatest Hits.

P.S. He also sang "If It Be Your Will", the song in the movie
Slater played before he went on the air after Malcolm died
(remember when he lit the candles?)

chris wc...@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU

Don McKellar

Dec 9, 1992, 8:24:32 AM12/9/92

>So NOW I'm curious as to where the version of "Everybody Knows" from the
>Christian Slater movie "Pump Up the Volume" can be found--the version on
>the CD is a faster and (IMHO) less appealing version by Concrete Blonde.
>Does anyone know who performed the movie version, and if there's a CD
>on which it can be found?

It's Leonard Cohen singing one of his own songs. No mistaking that
voice. I think it was off of his last album. (Not the new one.)

your pal,

donm.

George Vaughn Hixson

Dec 10, 1992, 9:27:12 PM12/10/92

For those of you still waiting for Dusk to come out, yesterday I found
a cassette promo called Dusk Vs. Dawn with four songs from the upcoming
album. It was in the cut-out bin for 99 cents. It's definitely worth
looking for.

Waiting for some more Johnny Marr,
George

Gordon Van Huizen

Dec 12, 1992, 2:41:28 PM12/12/92
In article <1992Dec9.1...@intacc.uucp> do...@intacc.uucp (Don
McKellar) writes:

> It's Leonard Cohen singing one of his own songs. No mistaking that
> voice. I think it was off of his last album. (Not the new one.)

Now that this has been answered 50 or 60 times, can this
thread quietly die? Is propagation delay THIS serious of
a problem???

Gordon
Gordon Van Huizen vox: 619.488.9411 fax: 619.488.3045
Metrosoft g...@metrosoft.com [NeXTmail welcome]

Message has been deleted

ssha...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2020, 1:37:36 AM8/12/20