Toyah

John M. Relph

May 8, 1989, 6:44:56 PM5/8/89

Are there any fans of Toyah out there? Yes, the one who married
Robert Fripp. She was fairly popular in England in the early '80s,
and I think she even had a television special made about her and her
music.

Does anybody have any sort of discography of Toyah? If nobody does, I
would be willing to put one together, if other people are willing to
send in the information.

-- John

Hal Broome

May 12, 1989, 11:59:01 AM5/12/89
In article <May.8.15.44....@PRESTO.IG.COM> re...@PRESTO.IG.COM.UUCP (John M. Relph) writes:

>Are there any fans of Toyah out there? Yes, the one who married
>Robert Fripp. She was fairly popular in England in the early '80s,
>and I think she even had a television special made about her and her
>music.

Well, I for one like SHEEP FARMING IN BARNET. A Scottish friend of mine
claims to have felt her breasts in concert (is that a tru-fan [tm] or a
lecher? no need to answer); anyway, he told me that she was a motorcycle
moll in her adolescence, although she apparently was Miss Sweetness'n'light,
which is why the biker gang liked her and respected her (and if you believe
that. . . .). A big fan of Tolkien, which is okay by me, she also has
a video collection that was released in Britain around '84 that was slightly
cheesy looking; it contains many of her songs which she choreographed,
dancing around in white in a small room from the looks of it. You of
course have caught her performance in the movie version of THE TEMPEST,
done by, um, I forget his name but he did the extremely homo-erotic
movie SABASTIAN, about St. Sebastian, a Roman trooper in the boonies who
is shot to death with arrows because he spurns the advances of the
legionaire (the entire film is one long account of sexually frustrated
soldiers wandering around nude in the desert: considered to be a real
arty film, I saw it on British television!!!!). THE TEMPEST was shown
the next night: Toyah played Ariel, the sprite, and did a good job of
it, too. Worth watching if you are a Toyah fan; I would skip the video
collection unless you are hard-core.

hal

Tal Herbsman

May 13, 1989, 2:53:04 PM5/13/89
In article <28...@garth.UUCP>, h...@garth.UUCP (Hal Broome) writes:

> [interesting account of mrs. fripp deleted]

which only brings to mind one question: WHAT THE HELL WAS ROBERT THINKING
when he decided to get hitched to this gal.

tal.

my theory: he was part of the motorcycle gang.

John M. Relph

May 14, 1989, 2:07:56 PM5/14/89
+
++ [interesting account of mrs. fripp deleted]
+
+which only brings to mind one question: WHAT THE HELL WAS ROBERT THINKING
+when he decided to get hitched to this gal.

He was probably thinking that "this is the woman I am going to marry."

What else would he be thinking?

-- John

Richard Caley

May 14, 1989, 11:05:16 AM5/14/89
In article <28...@garth.UUCP> h...@garth.UUCP (Hal Broome) writes:

>Well, I for one like SHEEP FARMING IN BARNET.

You can't _like_ Sheep Farming in Barnet!

Worship yes, 'like' no.

>THE TEMPEST was shown
>the next night: Toyah played Ariel, the sprite, and did a good job of
>it, too.

This was on a couple of nights ago so . . .

Ariel was played by a man ( I forget who ). Toyah played the daughter (
Miranda? ). She can't act in any way shape or form ( judging by this
performance ).

>hal

r...@uk.ac.ed.aipna "Look my eyes are just holograms,
Look your love has drawn red from my hands,
From my hands you know you'll never be,
More than twist in my sobriety "
- Tanita Tikaram, Twist in my Sobriety

Mason Jones

May 15, 1989, 1:27:12 PM5/15/89
From article <8...@aipna.ed.ac.uk>, by r...@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Richard Caley):

> In article <28...@garth.UUCP> h...@garth.UUCP (Hal Broome) writes:
>
>>Well, I for one like SHEEP FARMING IN BARNET.
>
> You can't _like_ Sheep Farming in Barnet!
>
> Worship yes, 'like' no.

Yeah, I like her stuff, when I'm in the mood for some early
New Wave, along with Lene Lovich, Gary Numan, and so forth.
Check out Klaus Nomi, too; great operatic New Wave.

Toyah was also one of the folks in "Urgh! A Music War," the
early Wave concert video collection. Good stuff.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Mason Jones, Bell Northern Research, Inc.
amdahl!bnrmtv!jones
...or amdahl!bnrmtv!jo...@ames.arc.nasa.gov

<Screech><Squeak><Shriek><Squawk>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mason Jones

May 15, 1989, 1:23:45 PM5/15/89
From article <28...@garth.UUCP>, by h...@garth.UUCP (Hal Broome):

| In article <May.8.15.44....@PRESTO.IG.COM> re...@PRESTO.IG.COM.UUCP (John M. Relph) writes:
|>
|>Are there any fans of Toyah out there? Yes, the one who married
|>Robert Fripp. She was fairly popular in England in the early '80s,
|>and I think she even had a television special made about her and her
|>music.
|
| dancing around in white in a small room from the looks of it. You of
| course have caught her performance in the movie version of THE TEMPEST,
| done by, um, I forget his name but he did the extremely homo-erotic
| movie SABASTIAN, about St. Sebastian, a Roman trooper in the boonies who
| is shot to death with arrows because he spurns the advances of the
| legionaire (the entire film is one long account of sexually frustrated
| soldiers wandering around nude in the desert: considered to be a real
| arty film, I saw it on British television!!!!). THE TEMPEST was shown
| the next night: Toyah played Ariel, the sprite, and did a good job of
| it, too. Worth watching if you are a Toyah fan; I would skip the video
| collection unless you are hard-core.

Toyah was also in Derek Jarman's bizarre film "Jubilee," along with
Adam Ant and others. Strange movie, but I enjoyed it. See it if
you can find it.

Ihor W. Slabicky

May 16, 1989, 12:25:41 PM5/16/89
In article <28...@garth.UUCP>, h...@garth.UUCP (Hal Broome) writes:
> In article <May.8.15.44....@PRESTO.IG.COM> re...@PRESTO.IG.COM.UUCP (John M. Relph) writes:
>
> her performance in the movie version of THE TEMPEST,
> done by, um, I forget his name but he did the extremely homo-erotic
> movie SABASTIAN, about St. Sebastian, a Roman trooper in the boonies who
> is shot to death with arrows because he spurns the advances of the
> legionaire (the entire film is one long account of

Doesn't this movie 'Sebastian' also have a soundtrack by Brian Eno?
Was the soundtrack released or was it of material released on Eno's
records?

Ian G Batten

May 16, 1989, 7:59:54 AM5/16/89
In article <54...@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> i...@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (Ian Finch) writes:
>Quadrophenia (she played Monkey). She has also been in a T.V. programme by the
>B.B.C., as an artist (a painter) with (I think) John Gielgud.

It was ITV, in an adaptation of a short story by John Fowles, ``The
Ebony Tower''. And very good it was too.

ian

--
Ian G Batten, BT Fulcrum - i...@fulcrum.bt.co.uk - ...!uunet!ukc!fulcrum!igb

John Lorch

May 17, 1989, 1:28:46 PM5/17/89
In article <24...@rayssdb.ray.com> i...@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes:

>> done by, um, I forget his name but he did the extremely homo-erotic
>> movie SABASTIAN, about St. Sebastian, a Roman trooper in the boonies who
>> is shot to death with arrows because he spurns the advances of the
>> legionaire (the entire film is one long account of

>Doesn't this movie 'Sebastian' also have a soundtrack by Brian Eno?
>Was the soundtrack released or was it of material released on Eno's
>records?

I saw that movie quite a while ago, and I remember that it did use some of
Eno's music in the soundtrack. I am fairly certain, though, that it was
taken from previously recorded music, as opposed to being specifically
recorded for that film. (I don't know this for sure, though). I also think
that it can be found on the "Music for Films" (Vol.I) album. That album had
been out for a few years when I saw the film.
--
John Lorch UUCP: ecf...@jhunix.UUCP
Johns Hopkins University ARPA: ecf...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

John S. Kelley

May 23, 1989, 1:57:00 PM5/23/89
-
Toyah was featured in the movie; The Ebony Tower.

I think Sir Laurence and Michael Caine fought over this movie.
Truly a bad bad flick!!!

-jk-

kel...@apollo.com

Colin Dente

May 24, 1989, 7:49:21 AM5/24/89
In article <4365b79...@apollo.COM> kel...@apollo.COM (John S. Kelley) writes:
>-
>Toyah was featured in the movie; The Ebony Tower.
>
>I think Sir Laurence and Michael Caine fought over this movie.
>Truly a bad bad flick!!!

I've got vague and horrible memories of a film with Caine & Olivier in
where Olivier hires Caine for a massive jewel theft, and they end up
killing Olivier's wife through shock (make her think the police are on
their way??) 'cos they were lovers all along..... naaahh this must be
the product of my sick mind - *surely* neither of them would have done
a movie like that??? Could somebody please tell me the truth?...help...

Anyway - back to the relevant(ish) bit - Toyah also appeared in a
movie called _Jubilee_ - I think it was produced by Malcom MacLaren -
at least, he was in it, & it was very weird & punk... definitely
worth watching... must dig out that video again...

Colin

| Colin Dente | JANET: de...@uk.ac.man.ee.els |
| Dept. of Electrical Engineering | ARPA: de...@els.ee.man.ac.uk |
| University of Manchester | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!man.ee.els!dente |
| England | These might work now, but then again... |

Ian Finch

May 25, 1989, 12:31:58 PM5/25/89
In article <62...@ux.cs.man.ac.uk>, de...@els.uucp (Colin Dente) writes:
> I've got vague and horrible memories of a film with Caine & Olivier in
> where Olivier hires Caine for a massive jewel theft, and they end up
> killing Olivier's wife through shock (make her think the police are on
> their way??) 'cos they were lovers all along..... naaahh this must be
> the product of my sick mind - *surely* neither of them would have done
> a movie like that??? Could somebody please tell me the truth?...help...

The film (I think) you're thinking of, is called `Sleuth' and I seem to remember
it as being brilliant. The only two people in it are Caine and Olivier, both of
whom assume various roles. The plot (I seem to remember) is that Olivier gets
Caine to stage a robbery and each then tries to kill the other (or something
like that!).

Ian Finch Janet: i...@uk.ac.liv.cs.mva
--------- Internet: ian%mva.cs.l...@cunyvm.cuny.edu
UUCP: ...mcvax!ukc!i...@uk.ac.liv.cs.mva
I can't take a shopping expedition. I just can't! Please let an algae
satellite crash on my head right now.
- The Ballad of Halo Jones

Joe Zitt

May 26, 1989, 12:46:55 PM5/26/89
In article <24...@rayssdb.ray.com> i...@rayssdb.ray.com (Ihor W. Slabicky) writes:

>Doesn't this movie 'Sebastian' also have a soundtrack by Brian Eno?
>Was the soundtrack released or was it of material released on Eno's
>records?

Yup, he did it... Some of the music appeared on <Music for Films>.
--
Joe Zitt * {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2}!dasys1!jzitt * Big Electric Cat
PAM Repertory Company also: (killer,uunet,psuvax}!cbis3!elephant!zitt!joe