FS: F.Besson international series silver trumpet

Modern Vintage

Feb 5, 2002, 1:12:07 AM2/5/02
F.Besson international seies silver trumpet in the case and in
excellent condition, plays great and has a very good tone...$500 obo

Johan Dokter

Feb 5, 2002, 2:51:23 AM2/5/02
Sounds great, only the problem with Besson are the valves!!!!!
They have that problem as ling as they exsist. It´s improving, but
it still not as good as forinstance Getzen, Schilke or Courtois

Johan

"Modern Vintage" <seno...@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

Ed Grant

Feb 5, 2002, 6:50:07 PM2/5/02
That depends on where the Besson International was made. I have a "U.S."
version that was made by Kanstul. Valves are great; smooth with lots of
"pop". The Kanstul family sent me three different weights of valve springs
and I used the lightest. No hangups, no leaks. My son (1st year of band)
is going to get the Besson and I've put the light springs into my Strad.

You have to watch out for Besson...I noticed today that some of their
cheaper cornets are made in Czechoslovakia and others in G.B. (Then there
are the infamous "Bessons" that aren't worth the energy to drive over them
with a school bus.)
--
Ed Grant

'All generalisations are dangerous"

"Johan Dokter" <jhdo...@chello.nl> wrote in message

Catzz66

Feb 5, 2002, 7:49:37 PM2/5/02
>(Then there
>are the infamous "Bessons" that aren't worth the energy to drive over them
>with a school bus.)

It's been said before, but "Bessons" horns are not connected in any way with
the real Besson horns. They are low price knockoffs.

Johan Dokter

Feb 7, 2002, 3:09:47 AM2/7/02
Indeed, I am talking about the British Besson............in all series.
700愀 as well as the 900`s
Though I play a Besson sovereign 928GS myself. I play besson for about 20
years now. I only
play NEW selfbought cornets just to ommit the valve problem.
NEVER BUY A 2nd HAND BESSON INSTRUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johan

"Ed Grant" <meg...@shaw.ca> schreef in bericht

> That depends on where the Besson International was made. I have a "U.S."
> version that was made by Kanstul. Valves are great; smooth with lots of
> "pop". The Kanstul family sent me three different weights of valve
springs
> and I used the lightest. No hangups, no leaks. My son (1st year of band)
> is going to get the Besson and I've put the light springs into my Strad.
>
> You have to watch out for Besson...I noticed today that some of their
> cheaper cornets are made in Czechoslovakia and others in G.B. (Then there
> are the infamous "Bessons" that aren't worth the energy to drive over them
> with a school bus.)
> --
> Ed Grant
>
> 'All generalisations are dangerous"
>
> "Johan Dokter" <jhdo...@chello.nl> wrote in message
> > Sounds great, only the problem with Besson are the valves!!!!!

> > They have that problem as ling as they exsist. It愀 improving, but

Catzz66

Feb 8, 2002, 10:31:40 AM2/8/02
>NEVER BUY A 2nd HAND BESSON INSTRUMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Johan

Sorry to disagree, but here in the US, there are thousands of Besson
instruments in circulation that were made in California by the Kanstul company.
The ones I have seen and played have been as good as any production horn on
the market. They usually trade under the price of Bach and Yamaha, making them
an excellent value. The horns I am talking about will have Kanstul (the
manufacturer) stamped on them somewhere.

Like anything else, you should try before you buy. I understand that Besson
has recently broken off with Kanstul who made many of their horns for years, so
I do not know what to expect in the future. So, though what you are saying may
be true for some of the non US made horns, it is not true across the board.

Ed Grant

Feb 8, 2002, 6:50:00 PM2/8/02
Not quite true, Catzz. My Besson International was identified by serial
number as Kanstul production by Kanstul. The bell markings are "Besson,
International Series, USA" and the serial number is stamped on the bottom of
the bell tube opposite the 2nd valve. I would never have known if someone
(Dr. T?) hadn't given me a hint and Kanstul had not confirmed it. Mind you,
I don't know if any of the F. Besson horns were also made by Kanstul and
whether or not they'd have "Kanstul" on them somewhere. Donovan?

--
Ed Grant

"Catzz66" <cat...@aol.com> wrote in message

Catzz66

Feb 9, 2002, 1:17:08 PM2/9/02
>Not quite true, Catzz. My Besson International was identified by serial
>number as Kanstul production by Kanstul. The bell markings are "Besson,
>International Series, USA" and the serial number is stamped on the bottom of
>the bell tube opposite the 2nd valve. I would never have known if someone
>(Dr. T?) hadn't given me a hint and Kanstul had not confirmed it. Mind you,
>I don't know if any of the F. Besson horns were also made by Kanstul and
>whether or not they'd have "Kanstul" on them somewhere. Donovan?

You may be exactly right about the Kanstul name plate not appearing on the
horns, Ed. I will happily stand corrected. The gist of my post was in
response to someone's all cap comment to never buy second hand Besson horns.
To restate, the California horns are okay, or at least they were until
recently, assuming it's true that Kanstul won't be making them any more.

Donovan Bankhead

Feb 11, 2002, 12:01:13 PM2/11/02

Donovan Bankhead

Feb 11, 2002, 12:02:17 PM2/11/02
Kanstul makes instruments and parts for almost every manufacturer. Some
manufacturers do not want the Kanstul logo anywhere on the horn...

--
Donovan Bankhead
don...@springfield-music.com

"Ed Grant" <meg...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

houghton...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2019, 5:24:09 AM4/30/19
On Tuesday, 5 February 2002 06:12:07 UTC, Modern Vintage wrote:
> F.Besson international seies silver trumpet in the case and in
> excellent condition, plays great and has a very good tone...$500 obo

The Truth - I have never read so much rubbish about F Besson trumpets, If the English International Besson valves are bad, its because the instrument has been badly used. As it never left the factory in that form. The English International Trumpets are superbly built in every way, The Valves are fast, with a deep rich sound. In fact a pro.fellow who sold his Besson to buy a Bach Strad, wish he had kept his International. Remember many USA / Japan Trumpet makers etc took up many Ideas from Besson / Boosey & co. And Many USA / Japan parts are made elsewhere. B. Houghton