Selmer(USA) Claude Gordon Trumpet ?

Doug Meharry

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99

I have an opportunity to acquire a Selmer(USA) Trumpet that has the name
of Claude Gordon stamped on the mouthpiece receiver. The only serial
number on the horn is inscribed on the right hand side of the second
valve. The number is "001328." On the opposite or left hand side of
the second valve is stamped "Selmer U.S.A."

This particular horn plays very nicely. I especially like the valve
action.

Does anyone know anything at all about this particular Selmer model?
When were they made? How many were made?

Thanks,

Doug
meh...@mbay.net

Doug Meharry

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99

Matt Carey

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
to meh...@mbay.net
Hello,

I know people who swear by the CG selmer. Not a whole lot were made
(the serial number of 1328 should tell you something...I don't think
that is a particularly old horn. They just made very few). Actually,
I know of people still getting new ones last year. They are special
order horns, and take a long time for Selmer to crank out.

The Selmer CG is based on the old french besson Meha trumpet. Claude
Gordon was not a proponent of "lead" vs standard horns. (or, jazz vs
classical). So, he probably would have not catagorized the horn as
such. However, I have heard it referred to as a "lead" horn. Claude
was a big proponent of free-blowing equipment. As I recall, the horn is
lightweight, with a nickel or nickel-silver leadpipe.

If you like the way the horn plays, it is a good horn. There is a group
of people out there who really like them, but it is a bit of a specialty
horn, so selling it may take a little while (though, I think my friend
will always be interested in getting them for his students).

Again, you like it: that is the No. 1 crtiterion.

p.s. for anyone who cares...the horn is large (or xtra large by bach
standards) at 0.470". Long before the Wild Thing.

dennis

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
Matt Carey wrote

>p.s. for anyone who cares...the horn is large (or xtra large by bach
>standards) at 0.470". Long before the Wild Thing.

it doesn't really play like a .470. because there is a choke (.464) at the bell.

i think he had a disagreement of some sort with benge, and he asked bach to
make it, but they didn't want to put the bach name on it, so they called it a selmer.

if ignorance is bliss.
«•--.¸¸.´¯`.º.´¯`·.¸¸.•º•.¸¸.·´¯`.º.´¯`·.¸¸.--•»
why aren't more people deliriously happy?

change nospam to wdhill to reply to me by e-mail

Rhocken

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
I believe that Selmer/Bach came out with this horn in the early mid-eightys
(perhaps 1983 or '84). It was a large bore horn .470 and the only one I saw was
in lacquer finish. Prior to that time, Benge made a CG model. Bach should be
able to tell you more precise info if you give them the serial number.

FLIP OAKES

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99
Matt Carey wrote:
<snip>
> p.s. for anyone who cares...the horn is large (or xtra large by bach
> standards) at 0.470". Long before the Wild Thing.

Yeh , I care.......Its not JUST THE .470 BORE.......The Wild Thing's
bell flare is FAR MORE OPEN. The entire instrument is FAR MORE OPEN. for
anyone who cares.

Flip Oakes "Wild Thing Trumpets"
COME AND HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
http://www.flipoakes.com

Jeff

Apr 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/6/99

Doug Meharry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an opportunity to acquire a Selmer(USA) Trumpet that has the name
> of Claude Gordon stamped on the mouthpiece receiver. The only serial
> number on the horn is inscribed on the right hand side of the second
> valve. The number is "001328." On the opposite or left hand side of
> the second valve is stamped "Selmer U.S.A."
>
> This particular horn plays very nicely. I especially like the valve
> action.
>
> Does anyone know anything at all about this particular Selmer model?
> When were they made? How many were made?

I believe the Selmer Claude Gordon Model 57 is an early 1980's vintage. Mine
#000215 was dated at 1982 and is an extra lightweight, .470 bore trumpet.
All models are lacquer with a nickle leadpipe. It was purchased used at
Dillons in New Jersey about 5 years ago and was better than the Callets and
other large bore trumpets in my side by side test. It worked really well for
me in an R&B setting. It is really free blowing and puts out a big sound.
They are a limited production run, so that's why you don't hear much and
they are not listed anymore on the Bach website. So they are probably out of
production at the present.

--
Jeff

Hot can be cool
and cool can be hot
and each can be both.
But hot or cool man,
jazz is jazz.

Louis Armstrong

Visit my drum corps G Bugle webpage at;
http://pages.prodigy.net/jeffmitchell/bugle.html

SchilkeMan

Apr 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/7/99
I had one and to this day regret having sold it. Mine was Number 316 in
lacquer........ I miss it

Scott

Matt Carey

Apr 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/8/99
Jeff wrote:

> I believe the Selmer Claude Gordon Model 57 is an early 1980's vintage. Mine
> #000215 was dated at 1982 and is an extra lightweight, .470 bore trumpet.
> All models are lacquer with a nickle leadpipe. It was purchased used at
> Dillons in New Jersey about 5 years ago and was better than the Callets and
> other large bore trumpets in my side by side test. It worked really well for
> me in an R&B setting. It is really free blowing and puts out a big sound.
> They are a limited production run, so that's why you don't hear much and
> they are not listed anymore on the Bach website. So they are probably out of
> production at the present.

Not to quiblle, but I know people with silver Selmer CG horns.

I know that my old teacher got a couple of them on special order about a
year or two ago. It was not easy, and there was a long lead time.
However, he likes them so much that I always call him when I see one for
sale. (you can always tell his students because they have one...of
course I had to buck the trend and get a Bach Vindabona.)

Again, if you like the horn, it is a good horn.

Matt

Rune Aleksandersen

Apr 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/9/99
I play one. It's a really good horn. Being a ligthweigth horn, it's surprinsingly dark
and full sounding.
Dennis is wrong about the choke. The Benge CG has one, the Selmer does not. Apparently,
CG himself did not like the Benge.
Patty Gordon (CGtr...@pineknot.com) still sells the CG Selmer, and she has it in stock!
The price is around $2000.

Rune

Vince Gassi

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
Doug,

I have 2 Selmer Claude Gordon Bb trumpets. They started making them about
1981 if I am not mistaken. Claude designed a horn for Benge called the CG
Benge. Later he designed one for the Selmer company. The Selmer was a
different design than the Benge. Bore size on the Selmer is .470. Lead
pipe is made of nickel-silver due to it being very thin (I think Claude
wanted it thin for better response). it has Monel valves. The selmer
company still makes them but they are harder to get. hope this helps.

Vince Gassi
vince...@sympatico.ca

Doug Meharry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an opportunity to acquire a Selmer(USA) Trumpet that has the name
> of Claude Gordon stamped on the mouthpiece receiver. The only serial
> number on the horn is inscribed on the right hand side of the second
> valve. The number is "001328." On the opposite or left hand side of
> the second valve is stamped "Selmer U.S.A."
>
> This particular horn plays very nicely. I especially like the valve
> action.
>
> Does anyone know anything at all about this particular Selmer model?
> When were they made? How many were made?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Doug
> meh...@mbay.net

lmbe...@gmail.com

May 5, 2018, 10:41:16 PM5/5/18
Is 000488 a good serial number for a selmer claude gordon? I am trying to avoid that period of time when the Bach employees were using the wrong parts. Thx, Lorraine

20kusa...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2019, 3:23:57 AM7/16/19
Flip knows his trumpets, and I have 2 of the first CG's made. One is silver and the other is lacquer. They have a wonderful sound, and they are easy to center the pitch on.