what was the model of trumpet miles davis used at the end of his life?

jan.b

May 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/12/00
the question is in the title

Jacques Gilbert

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
A Martin, I think.

"jan.b" <ja...@caramail.com> wrote in message
news:391C5B41...@caramail.com...

Tom C.

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
He playedMartin Committees all his life. The later ones had sound-killing red, blue, black
epoxy lacquer on them. His mouthpiece was different from most, though. He played a Heim # 1 (as
I now do, having given up trying to get answers out of Reeves). Tom C.

bugleboy

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Which store is selling Heim MP? Does Heim have a HP to describe
their MPs?

Thanks.

Toshi Clark

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
In article <00ad34a0...@usw-ex0103-024.remarq.com>, bugleboy
<bugleboy...@myremarq.com.invalid> wrote:

> Which store is selling Heim MP? Does Heim have a HP to describe
> their MPs?

An outfit in Japan seems to be selling Heim mpcs. The price on the page
was ¥10,000 - about $91USD.

<http://www.ops.dti.ne.jp/~hirotaki/mouthpiece/mouthpiece.html>
<http://www.ops.dti.ne.jp/~hirotaki/mouthpiece/heim.html>

--
Toshi Clark

Dave Lee

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
I watched the Saturday Night 25th last Sunday, and there was a clip of the
Miles guest appearance. I was a pretty cool character.
Dave Lee

Dave Lee

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
>I was a pretty cool character.

I started to say I was impressed, then I wanted to say he was a cool character.
Now I guess I'm just rather impressed with myself. :)
Dave Lee

matsup

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Miles played the same mp just about his entire career. A Heim, bent at the throat, played oriented
so it was pointing up.

He played Martins mostly, but I have seen him on others in old photos. He was a heroin addict of a
number of years and possibly was less than particular about brands at the time.

Rob D

Virtuoso2B

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Jerry Callet makes a reproduction of Davis's mouthpiece. I played one while
visiting his shop. Interesting piece. Definately an interestin sound, as
compared to the Monettes I was playing at the time, and probably still to the
Laskeys I'm playing now.

Matthew

bugleboy

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Is the home page address correct? I got an erroe message.
It sounds like a German MP.

bugleboy

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Thanks.
I found Giardinelli sells it for $26. There are two sizes, #1
and #2. giardinelli's HP and Le Blanc's HP do not describe the
size. Or I may have missed the description.

Does anyone know the difference between Heim #1 and Heim #2?

Thanks.

jan.b

May 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/28/00
to zio...@caramail.com
i red that he played heim mp from the biography from ian cooper
but that was in the early years
its very suprising that he continued to play such a odd model

lincland

Jan 11, 2005, 1:04:45 PM1/11/05

> Miles played the same mp just about his entire career. A Heim, bent
at the throat, played oriented
> so it was pointing up.
>
> He played Martins mostly, but I have seen him on others in old
photos. He was a heroin addict of a
> number of years and possibly was less than particular about brands at
the time.

> Rob D

Herion addicts aren't particular about which brands of instruments they
play?

Lincoln

S Meyer

Jan 11, 2005, 2:08:59 PM1/11/05
Maybe he played a Zeus...

"lincland" <linc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

zoot

Jan 11, 2005, 10:56:02 PM1/11/05

silly. lamborgini drivers aren't particular about which brands of
instruments they play. as far as i know he was still playing those
colored u m i horns. in the early days he played the martin comity that
so many great players played. i don't know why. they aren't that good.
not like a king silver flair or selmer.

Carl Dershem

Jan 12, 2005, 1:39:16 PM1/12/05
"zoot" <aba...@ns-design.com> wrote in news:1105502162.121336.283570
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> as far as i know he was still playing those
> colored u m i horns. in the early days he played the martin comity that
> so many great players played. i don't know why. they aren't that good.
> not like a king silver flair or selmer.

Just goes to show how tastes vary. I have a silver flair and a Martin, and
greatly prefer the martin - the king is just too tight and restrictive.
Yeah, I can belt out a double C on it, but it's squealy and not very
maneuverable. When I play rock and roll it can be handy, but for most
gigs, I prefer the Martin.

That said, you have to play what works for YOU.

cd
--
The difference between immorality and immortality is "T". I like Earl
Grey.

zoot

Jan 13, 2005, 7:56:35 AM1/13/05
interesting. i can get a really fat sound from my king. it's a 72. how'
the intonation on the martin?

Carl Dershem

Jan 13, 2005, 12:22:03 PM1/13/05
"zoot" <aba...@ns-design.com> wrote in news:1105620995.878042.169990
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> interesting. i can get a really fat sound from my king. it's a 72. how'
> the intonation on the martin?

Once I put the trigger on the 3d valve I've had no problems with it at all.
Far better than my King or my Bach (72) or my Olds (ambassador), and unlike
the King, it doesn't lock the notes so tight you can't bend them (Yes, I'm
a jazz player, mostly).

Dallas Mathis

Jan 16, 2005, 11:16:16 PM1/16/05
Miles played a Vega before he started playing Martins

On 11 Jan 2005 10:04:45 -0800, "lincland" <linc...@hotmail.com>

doubl...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2018, 2:32:11 PM11/17/18
> Addiction is an illness, That was pretty much a dickish comment
>
> Lincoln

rudifi...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2020, 1:09:55 AM4/9/20
On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 11:32:11 AM UTC-8, doubl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 12:04:45 PM UTC-6, lincland wrote:
> > > Miles played the same mp just about his entire career. A Heim, bent
> > at the throat, played oriented
> > > so it was pointing up.
> > >
> > > He played Martins mostly, but I have seen him on others in old
> > photos. He was a heroin addict of a
> > > number of years and possibly was less than particular about brands at
> > the time.
> > >
> > > Rob D

Lincoln is right. Cigarettes, alcohol, dope. All can own you.