Carmex, Lip Balm, Blistex, etc.

Gary Bohnlein

Nov 13, 2001, 9:30:12 PM11/13/01
Attention all brass players: CO NOT use Carmex or any other lip blam on your
lips if it stings or burns when applied. Anything that stings or burns is
damaging the muscles in your lips. I believe Blistex is also harmful. Chap
Stick is safe. As for canker sores and other lip abraisions, rinse your
mouth and the sore with warm saltwater daily, twice a day for about a week,
and it will go away very nicely.

Michael Willard

Nov 13, 2001, 11:56:29 PM11/13/01
Here's a new one I'm not certain about myself about lip stick. My
girlfriend, who is also a trumpet player, went on a tour with the Warren
Junior Military band and was told there not to use any chapstick that had
Caphor Oil in it. I forget the reason why. Maybe it had to do with
callouses, but I haven't used it at all except in the case of dry burning
lips from being outside playing for football games at my college.
Anyone know details about Camphor oil?

Michael

"Gary Bohnlein" <gboh...@fuse.net> wrote in message

Frosty

Nov 14, 2001, 3:13:53 AM11/14/01
You should never use anything with Canphor (Caphor) oil in it. this breaks
down your lip tissue. NEVER use carmex. The ONLY thing I use on my lips is
blistex's DCT. (daily conditioner treatment) this does give a tingle feeling
the first time you use it but i believe it is from the sunblock in it. I use
it as a sunblock and to help protect chap lips. I use it for nothing else.
If your lips get down and you want to "repair" them take some L-form Lysine
tablets. Take two a day and a chapping or sore will go away in about three
days.

Charles

jazz...@hotmail.com

Nov 14, 2001, 9:58:43 AM11/14/01
I would REALLY like to see any formal documentation on the claim that
camphor, menthol, alum, etc. have any kind of harmful effect on lip
tissue. Anything, really.

This claim comes up every year around this time (who wants to take bets
we'll see someone say that you can become "addicted" to Blistex or some
other lip balm in the next 30 days?).

(Carmex is an excellent low-cost remedy for cold sores. That's the only
time I use it...)

-- jeff

bach37

Nov 14, 2001, 2:44:13 PM11/14/01
> I would REALLY like to see any formal documentation on the claim that
> camphor, menthol, alum, etc. have any kind of harmful effect on lip
> tissue. Anything, really.

I know what you mean. The horn professor at my school uses Blistex. Ha!
He sounds just fine, no lip problems or anything.

A big tip from me to everyone: Schilke slide grease does not make a
good substitute for chap stick. ouch! My lips were burning for the whole
day. It was almost like Icy-Hot. whew! Man, I'm stupid sometime.... :-(

-Scott

jazz...@hotmail.com

Nov 14, 2001, 3:15:14 PM11/14/01
Stuff like ChapStick and Carmex and their ilk are really supposed to
*seal* the lips. If your lips are dried out and you pile this stuff on
top, it's not really going to moisturize them, just prevent the elements
(wind, sun) from drying them out further. (These are wax- or
lanolin-based applications. Schilke slide grease is mostly anhydrous
lanolin cut with some kind of petrolatum, I suspect).

If I'm really dried out (or think I'm going to get that way and want to
try to avoid it), I usually drink a couple of glasses of water and apply
something a bit less waxy, like Neospoorin (over-the-counter antibiotic
ointment), which contains some mineral oil.

Of course, I don't have the problem with chapped lips that some folks do,
so your mileage may vary...

RWSzabo

Nov 14, 2001, 9:47:01 PM11/14/01
You should check out CHOPS T.I.C. which is all natural and it reduces swelling.

http://www.zajamusic.com/chopstic.htm

Rich Szabo
ri...@richszabo.com
http://www.richszabo.com

Wayne Trager

Nov 14, 2001, 11:08:46 PM11/14/01
jazz...@hotmail.com wrote in message news:<9sujci$pce$1...@roundup.shout.net>...

> Stuff like ChapStick and Carmex and their ilk are really supposed to
> *seal* the lips. If your lips are dried out and you pile this stuff on
> top, it's not really going to moisturize them, just prevent the elements
> (wind, sun) from drying them out further. (These are wax- or
> lanolin-based applications. Schilke slide grease is mostly anhydrous
> lanolin cut with some kind of petrolatum, I suspect).
>
> If I'm really dried out (or think I'm going to get that way and want to
> try to avoid it), I usually drink a couple of glasses of water and apply
> something a bit less waxy, like Neospoorin (over-the-counter antibiotic
> ointment), which contains some mineral oil.
>
> Of course, I don't have the problem with chapped lips that some folks do,
> so your mileage may vary...

I've done a little research on this topic to better advise my
students. I've spoken to a neurologist, allergist, and a
nutritionist. Here's some of the poop that I've gathered on the
subject of camphor based and other lip products.
1- Carmex makes two different formulations. One is an easy to apply
from the tube formulation which is similar to Blistex, and the other
formulation which comes from a small plastic screw type container.
The tube formulation has more vaseline than the container formulation,
and less camphor.
2- camphor has the highest electrical frequency of all essential oils.
Aroma therapists gauge the frequency of all other aromatic essential
oils using Camphor oil as a benchmark. Camphor oil is a very strong
muscle relaxer. It is NOT shown to cause nerve or muscle/tissue
damage in the diluted state that it is used in lip balms. If you get
severe burning when using a camphor based lip product, then common
sense would tell you not to use it. Being that camphor is a muscle
relaxer, I would say that one should not use it prior to playing.
3- One word about essential oils. All essential oils have electrical
frequency, and this gives them theraputic benefits as well. One
benefit is increased blood circulation, and another is oxygenation of
the blood. If one is suffering from dry chapped lips, the use of
certain oils could prove beneficial. One oil that I have found to be
of great use in soothing burning chapped lips is peppermint oil, but
care should be used in diluting the oil in a base of canola oil.
Undiluted Peppermint oil will also give the user a burning sensation,
so make sure to use a few drops to appr. 1/2 oz. of canola oil. This
formulation has worked wonders for my student's chapped lips.
sincerely,
Wayne
http://communities.msn.com/TragerTrumpetTalk

Bryan Fields

Nov 15, 2001, 2:44:05 PM11/15/01
Interesting side note:
I recently read a couple of biographies of Louis Armstrong. He spent a
great deal of time applying all kinds of homemade salves to his mangled
chops and swore by them. He once talked Roy Eldridge into trying it and
Roy said he couldn't play for days afterward.

jazz...@hotmail.com

Nov 15, 2001, 3:08:52 PM11/15/01
Just to be clear, though, when you say mangled, you're really talking
*mangled*. Louis' chops were in bad shape, especially in the 60s and
70s. He probably needed the stuff to stave off infections and the ilk...

Josip Krimpl

Nov 17, 2001, 2:09:59 PM11/17/01
What a load of pseudo-scientific bunk!
Electrical frequency of essential oils?
Are you sure your "nutritionist" and "allergist"
weren't really a "numismatist" and and "alchemist"
Aroma tharapy! Get a grip on reality. Learn
what "reasearch" really is. It's not some kind
of New Age frickin' magic.

Wayne Trager

Nov 17, 2001, 7:10:04 PM11/17/01
Josip Krimpl <fr...@last.com> wrote in message news:<3BF6B607...@last.com>...

> What a load of pseudo-scientific bunk!
> Electrical frequency of essential oils?
> Are you sure your "nutritionist" and "allergist"
> weren't really a "numismatist" and and "alchemist"
> Aroma tharapy! Get a grip on reality. Learn
> what "reasearch" really is. It's not some kind
> of New Age frickin' magic.

Josip Krimpl
I'll be more than happy to send you the more than one thousand pages
of material that I have on the subject from legitimate doctors and
laboratories. I know what "research" is, and unlike you, I know how to
spell it.
Sincerely,
Wayne
http://communities.msn.com/TragerTrumpetTalk

Josip Krimpl

Nov 17, 2001, 8:01:22 PM11/17/01

It doesn't really matter how many thousands of pages
of mystical snake oil sales pitches you have. The
discussion of the "electrical frequencies" of
essential oils is a load of crap. This is not science,
any more than pryamid power, tarot reading, cold fusion,
or Uri Geller's parlor tricks are. I am quite familiar
with the unsubstantiated claims of the like of Becker and
Rife, and their inability to publish their "research"
in actual medical or scientific journals.

I see that the best defense you could make was to attack
my spelling (it was a typo -- I can spell "research").
I guess that says a lot about your deep knowledge of
pseudoscience. Rather than spamming me with sales pitches,
how about posting pointers to any credible links on the
subject? By "credible" I mean, for instance, that the
articles should be not be connected to anyone trying
to sell essential oils. Can you cite any articles published
in peer-reviewed scientific journals?

JK

Dave U

Nov 18, 2001, 12:46:48 AM11/18/01
jazz...@hotmail.com wrote in message news:<9su0r3$iht$2...@roundup.shout.net>...

Jeff,

There is no "cure" for cold sores. Cold sores are a form of the Herpes
virus and, therefore, cannot be cured. Once you have it, you have it
for life. This is true for all viruses from the common cold to HIV.
The virus resides in the nerve ganglions and reemerges from time to
time for unknown reasons, although stress, sunlight and various
aspects of diet (among many other things) are thought to have
something to do with this. All lip balms, salves and oils do is to,
perhaps, mitigate the surface symptoms (blisters, scabs, swelling
etc.). There are new, advanced drug therapies that claim to greatly
reduce the frequency of the outbreaks and their severity, however, the
overall worth of these, especially to trumpet players, is yet to be
shown.
Cold sores are a internal disease and there is not a whole lot anybody
can do at this time.

Dave U

Dave U

Nov 18, 2001, 8:40:12 AM11/18/01
urban...@msn.com (Dave U) wrote in message news:<6b2e8722.01111...@posting.google.com>...

Jeff,

I made a mistake. You didn't say "cure" in your post, you said
"remedy". I apologize. My point is the same, however. No matter what
you do, the disease is going to run it's course (mitigated or not).

Dave U

Wayne Trager

Nov 18, 2001, 9:40:15 AM11/18/01
Josip Krimpl <free_fr...@last.com> wrote in message news:<3BF70862...@last.com>...

> > Josip Krimpl <fr...@last.com> wrote in message

> Can you cite any articles published
> in peer-reviewed scientific journals?
>
> JK

Yes I can.
I'm not talking aroma therapy here. I don't practice it, and I
wouldn't know how to. I'm talking about the use of essential oils for
medicinal purposes. What do you think is in the "all natural" ChopS
T-I-C? It's oils? What is in the ointments that are used to soothe
muscle pain - such as icey hot, and others? It's oils! I am not an
aroma therapist, and I will e-mail you as soon as I can, a list of
articles from credible sources. I will not waste time in RMMT doing
so.
I don't care if you're spelling of "research" was a typo or not, just
look at who started flaming who first! - Mr. Krimpl. There was no
need to trash my research skills, and there's absolutely no reason
for me to feel the need to defend my character on RMMT on a constant
basis. It seems that many readers of this newsgroup don't know what
to do with themselves ever since Michael Schmidt has left. I have
been following this newsgroup for a long time, and as of late, it's
unlike any other forum in which I participate. The flaming that goes
on in this group is ridiculous. Every week someone else is this group
is at the center of a torch-a-thon. One week it's Wilmer, next week
it's Jeff, week after that it's Joe Johnson. I posted information
based on over 2 years of college research, and then get slammed
without even getting questioned on my source material first. Then I
get told that I don't know how to research! Believe me Josip, I know
how to research. I will foward you plenty of credible research from
doctors, laboratories, and pharmaceutical companies that work with
oils everyday. I'm in the middle of grading finals write now, so
expect the info in about 2 weeks. I will privately e-mail it to you.
sincerely,
Wayne
http://communities.msn.com/TragerTrumpetTalk

Dr. Trumpet

Nov 18, 2001, 9:47:58 AM11/18/01
In article <d6518fe3.01111...@posting.google.com>,
wtr...@msn.com (Wayne Trager) wrote:

Wayne,

Frankly, if you feel posting the information here is a waste of time, then
perhaps we need to look at all you post as a waste of time.

ANYONE on this NG unable to support his opinion when questioned has earned the
respect of no one, and has proven his worth to no one.

Please either:

a.) Reconsider posting some material in support of your ideas here.

b.) consider reducing the attacks on newsgroup members until you can offer
support for your information you claim as fact.

c.) continue posting and face facts that most people will discount you as a
non-credible source.

AL

Wayne Trager

Nov 18, 2001, 3:19:59 PM11/18/01
"Dr. Trumpet" <dr_trpt-...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<dr_trpt-spamfree-63...@news.iquest.net>...

Al Lilly wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> Frankly, if you feel posting the information here is a waste of time, then
> perhaps we need to look at all you post as a waste of time.

Al,
I never said that I feel posting information here is a waste of time.
I don't know where you got that information.
If you want to look at all I post as a waste of time, that's your
right.

Al continues:

> ANYONE on this NG unable to support his opinion when questioned has earned the
> respect of no one, and has proven his worth to no one.
>
> Please either:
>
> a.) Reconsider posting some material in support of your ideas here.
>
> b.) consider reducing the attacks on newsgroup members until you can offer
> support for your information you claim as fact.
>
> c.) continue posting and face facts that most people will discount you as a
> non-credible source.
>
> AL

Al,
A - The information I gave was credible, and that's why I posted it.
B- I didn't attack a newsgroup member, he attacked me and my ability
to research: re-read the thread!
C - Josip has changed the topic to "the properties of essential oils",
and that is totally off topic. I will email him more than enough
credible research to prove to him the factuality of my post.
D- I will continue posting when and if I feel I have credible facts
and points that will enhance the thread. I have been posting to this
newsgroup for 6 years, and for most of those years I have been the
participant of some interesting discussions. I'm not interested in
pee-ing contests, and have no
need to, nor do the readers of RMMT to continue an "off"-topic post.
As I stated earlier, and in my response - Josip will get the "credible
research" he asked for. If he doesn't, he's more than welcome to post
the RMMT group and tell them. Just allow me two weeks until finals are
graded.
Sincerely,
Wayne
http://communities.msn.com/TragerTrumpetTalk

Mark Mudgett

Nov 18, 2001, 4:57:07 PM11/18/01

Wayne Trager <wtr...@msn.com> wrote in message

Wayne, YOU were the one who brought up the properties of
essential oils, as anyone can plainly see by re-reading the thread.

You wrote (<d6518fe3.01111...@posting.google.com>):

>camphor has the highest electrical frequency of all essential oils.
>Aroma therapists gauge the frequency of all other aromatic essential
>oils using Camphor oil as a benchmark. Camphor oil is a very strong
>muscle relaxer.

... and I disputed those claims as being non-scientific and I
challenged
them. I asked:

"Can you cite any articles published in peer-reviewed scientific

journals?" and you replied
(<d6518fe3.01111...@posting.google.com>):

"Yes I can. I'm not talking aroma therapy here."

You brought up aroma therapy, then denied it.
You raised the claims of the properties of essential
oils and then accused me of changing the subject
when I responded to that claim.

You raised the issue of the properties of essential oils,
then called that issue "off topic". Many trumpet
players use lip balms, and verifying medical
claims or debunking pseudo-scientific claims releated
to lip balms is clearly on-topic here.

You also engaged in a feeble attempt at a "spelling flame"
which has long been condidered in poor taste on Usenet.

The claim that you made about the properties of
essential oils, including the reference to the electrical
frequency of oils and the properites of camphor are ...
dubious. You made the claims here in the newsgroup,
and I challenge you to support them in the newsgroup.
Cite some peer-reviewed research published in a
scientific or medical journal, for instance. Not the
results of your interviews with pracitioners, not
papers published by sellers of remedies, but real
science.

I can understand that your time is occupied with
grading your students' work, but you seem to have
plenty of time to make bogus claims, duck away
from them, accuse me of raising issues that you
yourself raised, and offering to spam my email box
with your quackery (please don't bother). But no
time to cite, here in the same forum where you made
the claims, a real reference to real research, on a subject
which you claim to have researched extensively.

I eagerly await some real evidence posted here in this
very newsgroup, in about two weeks from now, or a
retraction of your claims. Otherwise,as has been pointed
out, your credibility is quite questionable. You could even
spend some of the time that you have for spelling flames,
snake-oil claims, back-pedaling from your own outlandish
statements, and other such blustering, on looking up some
of your so-called research. It other words, either put up or
... erm ... tune up.

-- Josip

Josip Krimpl

Nov 18, 2001, 5:05:07 PM11/18/01
Wayne Trager <wtr...@msn.com> wrote in message

Wayne, YOU were the one who brought up the properties of

essential oils, as anyone can plainly see by re-reading the thread.

>camphor has the highest electrical frequency of all essential oils.
>Aroma therapists gauge the frequency of all other aromatic essential
>oils using Camphor oil as a benchmark. Camphor oil is a very strong
>muscle relaxer.

... and I disputed those claims as being non-scientific and I
challenged
them. I asked:

"Can you cite any articles published in peer-reviewed scientific

journals?" and you replied
(<d6518fe3.01111...@posting.google.com>):

"Yes I can. I'm not talking aroma therapy here."

You brought up aroma therapy, then denied it.

-- Josip

Josip Krimpl

Nov 18, 2001, 5:09:09 PM11/18/01
Please don't spam my friend Mark, whose account
I sometimese borrow. I inadvertently posted
under his name. My opinions are my own, he
may or may not agree with me.

-- Josip Krimpl

Dr. Trumpet

Nov 18, 2001, 6:24:31 PM11/18/01
In article <d6518fe3.0111...@posting.google.com>,
wtr...@msn.com (Wayne Trager) wrote:

Wayne,

If you don't mid, I'd love to read them, too. In the interest of curiosity.

AL

Soarlip

Nov 18, 2001, 8:09:55 PM11/18/01
I have been using the DCT (Daily conditioning Treatment) for many years now,
but what I've gotten used to doing is just putting a little on the corners of
my lips after playing. That's the spot that seem's to be most chapped/dried out
after playing. Also as mentioned earlier, staying hydrated helps alot! Also,
because I play wet, I have to consiously make it a point not to lick or wet my
lips between phrases or tunes etc.....I think if you feel like you may need to
use something for healing etc, then you might be playing too hard, too much, or
incorrectly. Not that I never have problems, but it sure has taken me a long
time to realize you don't need to be a hero everytime, although it sure is fun
heh? Rick

Wayne Trager

Nov 18, 2001, 11:12:03 PM11/18/01
"Dr. Trumpet" <dr_trpt-...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<dr_trpt-spamfree-59...@news.iquest.net>...

> If you don't mid, I'd love to read them, too. In the interest of curiosity.
>
> AL

No problem Al, I'll send them your way too. Just give me 2 weeks,
finals need to be graded
Sincerely,
Wayne
http://communities.msn.com/TragerTrumpetTalk

Dan Mershon

Nov 19, 2001, 12:34:47 AM11/19/01
Hi Dave,

I have used one of the newer ointments with really good results. It's
prescription only, the name is Zovirax Ointment and costs about $50 for
a 1 oz tube. If used upon the first sign of a cold sore (that tingling
feeling on your lip) it will keep the blisters from forming and the skin
from breaking. You need to continue applying it every 4-6 hrs for 6-7
days and the tingling feeling will continue during that time but you
won't develop a cold sore and I have had no problems continuing to play
during that time. I got the prescription from my dentist but could also
get one from your MD.

Dan

Dave U wrote:

SNIP

> > There are new, advanced drug therapies that claim to greatly
> > reduce the frequency of the outbreaks and their severity, however, the
> > overall worth of these, especially to trumpet players, is yet to be
> > shown.
> > Cold sores are a internal disease and there is not a whole lot anybody
> > can do at this time.
> >
> > Dave U

AND

jazz...@hotmail.com

Nov 19, 2001, 10:01:43 AM11/19/01
Dave -

Absolutely, I wasn't saying it was a cure, simply a remedy (form of
relief). You are absolutely right that Carmex won't do away with herpes
simplex.

(Aside: Didn't we play together once or twice with the Members band in
Chicago?)

-- jeff

Dave U <urban...@msn.com> wrote:

>> (Carmex is an excellent low-cost remedy for cold sores. That's the only
>> time I use it...)
>>
>> -- jeff

jazz...@hotmail.com

Nov 19, 2001, 10:04:16 AM11/19/01
No sweat!

Dave U

Nov 19, 2001, 11:01:46 PM11/19/01
Dan Mershon <dmer...@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<3BF89A8F...@ameritech.net>...

> Hi Dave,
>
> I have used one of the newer ointments with really good results. It's
> prescription only, the name is Zovirax Ointment and costs about $50 for
> a 1 oz tube. If used upon the first sign of a cold sore (that tingling
> feeling on your lip) it will keep the blisters from forming and the skin
> from breaking. You need to continue applying it every 4-6 hrs for 6-7
> days and the tingling feeling will continue during that time but you
> won't develop a cold sore and I have had no problems continuing to play
> during that time. I got the prescription from my dentist but could also
> get one from your MD.
>
> Dan
Dan,
That's really good. Wish I had had that in the old days. All the suffering!
Is it an anti-viral agent? Does it prevent swelling?
Dave U.

Dan Mershon

Nov 20, 2001, 10:51:23 AM11/20/01
Hi Dave,

I can usually feel a cold sore starting about 6 hrs or so before the
blister starts to show. If I start using it before the blister start to
form there is no change to the lip it terms of blisters or swelling.
The only thing is the tingling feeling continues for about the same
length of time that a cold sore would develop and subsequently heal -
about 6-8 days.

I now keep that ointment in the car so I can get it quickly if I need
it. I don't know how it works but I seem to remember hearing that it
was developed as part of the AIDS research.

Best to you,
Dan

Roger Bolt

Nov 21, 2001, 1:31:16 AM11/21/01
I'm also interested. As I'm sure many others would be. Why not post to RMMT?

Dave U

Nov 21, 2001, 11:42:02 PM11/21/01
Dan Mershon <dmer...@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<3BFA7CA4...@ameritech.net>...
> [...]
That's fantastic. Unbelievable. If I used that stuff I not only would
keep it in my car (good idea), I would also have tubes prepositioned
in my case, home, my parents home, girlfriends home and anywhere else
I might be. Cost no object.
I would be careful if there is any doubt about transmitting it to
anybody else. Does it prevent this? Normally, coldsores are highly
contagious (as I'm sure you know). Did the doctor say anything about
this?
Dave U

Dave U

Nov 22, 2001, 10:28:03 PM11/22/01
rws...@aol.com (RWSzabo) wrote in message news:<20011114214701...@mb-mn.aol.com>...

Do you know any more about "arnica"? I've never heard of it.
Thanks,
Dave U.

Dan Mershon

Nov 23, 2001, 1:07:50 AM11/23/01
Hi Dave,

I found out about it about 2 yrs ago from a dentist/trumpet player on
the internet. My dentist who wrote me the prescription didn't know
anything about it. I have no facts about transmission, but I would
think it's not very likely as blisters don't really form and rupture -
there is no skin break. Still being careful about transmission wouldn't hurt.

$50 kind of staggered me when I first got it but I could feel the cold
sore coming and I had a concert the next day and, so I figured I would
try it. Perhaps it has come down in price.

Dan

Dave U

Nov 28, 2001, 9:42:52 PM11/28/01
Dan Mershon <dmer...@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<3BFDE853...@ameritech.net>...

Dan,
I see your point about it probably not being contagious but, as you
said, it wouldn't hurt to be cautious. Dentists/Trumpet Players are
worth their weight in gold.
Dave