What about L.A. Sax???

Steve Stange

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Can anyone tell me about the quality of brass instruments from L.A.Sax? I
am looking at a used L.A. Sax flugelhorn, and need some advice!

Steve S.

STAR TRMPT

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

I've never heard of L.A. Sax. What type of horns do they make?

Bruce Bromley

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

Hi Steve

I purchased a LA Horn Trumpet (metallic blue) app 6 months ago and it is
a great horn, it has a real edge to it perfect for big band work, It
plays very well. Ann to the fact the colour gets noticed.

Regards

Bruce Bromley

Ken Edmonds

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

STAR TRMPT wrote:

> I've never heard of L.A. Sax. What type of horns do they make?

Bad ones.

Ken Edmonds

James Peters

Mar 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/13/97

Yeah, I think they make bad basketball shoes, too.

Jim

NORGEFAR

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

Isn't this the company that buys horns from Taiwan (Jupiter, et al) and
specializes in replating them in wild colors for marching bands and
others. I think the emphasis for LA SAX is the 'statement' the color
makes rather than the quality of the sound.

Hlclarke69

Mar 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/17/97

With lacquer that thick there is no way that those horns are any good!

pulledrelu...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2014, 2:11:31 PM1/25/14
L.A. Sax made mostly Saxophones, from 1987 until the company was sold in 2001, but did make several Brass Horns as well. They were made in Taiwan, which still isn't the worst place instruments are made. I think the Brass Horns they made are rare nowdays, so if you can acquire that L.A. Sax Flugelhorn, by all means do so! (I paid $400 for mine on eBay) What crazy color is the lacquer/finish? I have a Diamond White L.A. Sax Flugelhorn and a Red L.A. Sax Slide Trumpet ($150 from private owner) . I consider them "siblings" so have no interest in ever selling them. The quality of my L.A. Sax Flugelhorn is not tops, but it works AND IT'S FRIKIN' DIAMOND WHITE! My L.A. Sax Slide Trumpet was fairly new and unused by former owner so works well while "breaking in". So bottom line is that they are very pretty Horns, work well enough, and are no longer made, so collector desired. For my Brass Horns that are not top-line in performance I compensate by using the highest quality valve oil and slide grease, which really improves playability of my cheaper quality Brass Horns, even the current Chinese junk!

Dale Littrell

Dec 23, 2022, 2:12:02 PM12/23/22
On Saturday, January 25, 2014 at 1:11:31 PM UTC-6, pulledrelu...@gmail.com wrote:
> L.A. Sax made mostly Saxophones, from 1987 until the company was sold in 2001, but did make several Brass Horns as well. They were made in Taiwan, which still isn't the worst place instruments are made. I think the Brass Horns they made are rare nowdays, so if you can acquire that L.A. Sax Flugelhorn, by all means do so! (I paid $400 for mine on eBay) What crazy color is the lacquer/finish? I have a Diamond White L.A. Sax Flugelhorn and a Red L.A. Sax Slide Trumpet ($150 from private owner) . I consider them "siblings" so have no interest in ever selling them. The quality of my L.A. Sax Flugelhorn is not tops, but it works AND IT'S FRIKIN' DIAMOND WHITE! My L.A. Sax Slide Trumpet was fairly new and unused by former owner so works well while "breaking in". So bottom line is that they are very pretty Horns, work well enough, and are no longer made, so collector desired. For my Brass Horns that are not top-line in performance I compensate by using the highest quality valve oil and slide grease, which really improves playability of my cheaper quality Brass Horns, even the current Chinese junk!
I have a diamond pearl white L.A. Sax trumpet and have owned it for around 12 years. It's very light weight and plays well. Only advice, do not use valve oil like Blue Juice or it will eat the painted surface. L.A. Sax refurbished mine after having the paint come loose from the synthetic valve oil. Overall, I've really enjoyed owning this trumpet.