YAMAHA SY-FAQ: new version

Ulrich Koepping

Jun 24, 1994, 6:48:17 AM6/24/94
Below the new version of the YAMAHA SY-FAQ. Have fun!

--- cut here ------------

[ Warning: This is, let me say, an alpha release of this text!!!
There is much to do on it...
Especially the open questions have to be answered. ]

SSSSSS YY YY FFFFFF AAA QQQQ
SSS YY YY FF AA AA QQ QQ
SSSSS YYYY ----- FFFF AAAAA QQ Q
SSS YY FF AA AA QQ Q
SSSSSS YY FF AA AA QQQ QQ
=================================================== Q ==
with answers!
Version: June, 24th '94

## Table of content

## Table of content
## Introduction to this text
## The SY list
## Internet
## Other sources of information
## Software - editors / librarian
## Software - other software
## managing patches / samples
## sound programming
## YAMAHA-specials: user interface, compatibility etc.
## Expansions for the SY-series
## Applications with the SYs
## Questions about MIDI
## Detailed technical specifications
## Experiences

experiences of SY-users on the other hand.

**** IMPORTANT: *******************************************************
This text contains much valuable information about the YAMAHA synths,
especially for newcomers in the SY-scene. So please: if you have any
problem regarding the SYs, ->FIRST<- read this text! If you find a
solution here, you save others from always hearing the same questions.
Thank you!

There is no guaranty at all for the information given in this text, if
you find something usefull, enjoy it! If you find errors PLEASE report
them, the best would be a correction (e-mail adress see below)! Thanks
in advance.
The text is managed by me, Ulrich Koepping. If you have got any
contributions to the text, found any errors in it or want to add
something to it, please send me an e-mail to
"ai...@rs3.rrz.uni-koeln.de".
It is impossible for one person to keep such a text up to date, so it is
VERY important that many people participate in expanding and correcting
this FAQ.
The latest version of this text can be downloaded via anonymous ftp from
the site ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de in the directory
/pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list/DOC . The version of the text is mentioned at
the beginning.

Usage: Every new topic is maked with "##", every new question with "#Q:".
You can move to this text easily by serching these marks with an editor.
You can also search for your synth, e.g. search for "99"!
If you search for a special info, also look under related topics, e.g.
if you look for a sample-manager look in "managing patches/samples" and
also in "Internet".

I have added some comments to the text, maked with [ ... ].

And:
! Thanks to all people mentioned in the text for their contributions! !

[
Some topics to write more about:

Synthesis: AFM ( What is AFM?, PitchEG )
AWM/AWM2 ( What is AWM and AWM2? )
Additional equipment: Amps, Mixer, Breathcontroller, Pedals
Sample-dump-standard (SDS), Standard-midi-file (SMF)
]

## The SY list

#Q: What machines is the SY list about ?
From: "Thomas Gruen" <t...@cs.uni-sb.de>

It is about the newer Yamaha synths:
SY 22: 16 voice 12bit sample + 4-op FM vector keyboard
TG 33: 32 voice 12bit sample + 4-op FM vector module
(2 SY22 in a module)
SY 35: 16 voice 16bit sample + 4-op FM vector keyboard
(SY22 successor)
SY 55: 16 voice 16bit sample + filters keyboard
(sample section of SY 77)
TG 55: rack version of SY 55
SY 85: 30 voice 16bit ROM/RAM-sample + filters keyboard
TG 500: 64 voice 16bit ROM/RAM-sample + filters module
(rack version of two SY 85)
SY 77: 16bit sample + FM + filters keyboard (2*16 voice polyphony)
TG 77: rack version of SY 77
SY 99: SY 77 plus sample RAM, and several extensions

#Q: What members are on the SY list?
------------------------------------
From: m...@chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski)

To see who is on the list, type the following commands from a Unix shell
prompt, or equivalent environment:

telnet chorus.chorus.fr smtp
expn sy-list
quit

Do not send them to the list, and do not send them to the administrative
address. If this does not work, please consider these possible reasons:

1) You typed "chorus.fr" instead of "chorus.chorus.fr"
2) Your telnet is old, and only accepts the IP address,
try "telnet 192.33.15.1 smtp".
3) The network connection to the chorus.fr domain was temporarily
broken, so the symbolic address couldn't be resolved into the IP
address.

#Q: How can I subscribe/unsubscribe to/from the YAMAHA SY list?
Mind that these mails go to the list administrator (Adam Mirowski), and
he is _NO_ machine, so please use normal language!!

## Internet

#Q: What SY-related sources are there on the net ?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

There is a mailing list and ftp site for the Yamaha TX16W sampler.
The ftp server carries a lot of those 12bit TX16W samples!
(The SY99 can load samples in TX16W format, the SY85 should
too, but there have not been positive reports so far.)
FTP: ftp-ls7.informatik.uni-dortmund.de in dir:/pub/tx16w
(if I remember well they have also documents about Yamaha and SDS
formats there and some sample conversion software as well.)

There is a mailing list for the DX7 synths:

From: Jeff Leane <jle...@andersen.com>

I think that these Usenet groups are most likely to interest SY-listers:

alt.emusic alt.exotic-music alt.music.alternative
comp.music de.rec.music.misc (only germany)
rec.music.compose rec.music.industrial rec.music.info
rec.music.makers.synth rec.music.marketplace rec.music.misc
rec.music.newage

Another resource I like, however, is the periodic posting to rec.music.info
on the subject of "List of Internet Musical Resources" and "List of Internet
Musical FTP Sites." Lots of good information there.

#Q: Where can I find FTP-sites with SY stuff?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

On the ftp server ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
in directory /pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list
you will find ~5000 DX7 patches converted to SY77/99 disk format
plus eventually more.

[ onother one ]
thanks to GKRI...@SWITCHNG.remnet.rockwell.com
WAVE-2 a sample editor/format conversion program for windows
is now on ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
in directory /pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list.
It is also able to communicate via MIDI-SDS (sample dump standard).

[ onother one ]
Another upload to ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de :
10 banks (ALL files) from my own sound collection (some edited, some
original).

Also I put some more doc there and Graham Turner (g...@mail.soton.ac.uk)
uploaded more SY-85 stuff.

[ onother one ]
thanks to Thomas Gruen <t...@workoholix.cs.uni-sb.de>
there is now a description of the SY-85 wave format
available on our ftp site.

[ onother one ]
thanks to Graham <G.W.T...@soton.ac.uk>
there are several SY-85 sounds in /pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list/sy85
on ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de now.

[ BTW: This ftp-server in Bochum is a kind of inofficial SY-ftp-server.
The amount of software and info you will find there is expanding
enourmously fast, so take a look at this site. Read the file README in
the directory /pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list . ]

From: boo...@iastate.edu

Just a day or two ago, some of my computer friends showed me how to find
cool things on the net using the local ARCHIE. So, here are some SY99
and SY77 sites I found (for those who, like myself, were unaware). If
there is interest in posting sites for other SYs, it takes me about 10
minutes to compile a list like this, so write me.

[ These archie lists are awful long, so I (Ulrich) compressed them. ]

Host Directory File
louie.udel.edu /pub/midi/patches/SY99
louie.udel.edu /pub/midi/patches/SY77
ftp.ucsd.edu /midi/patches/SY22
/midi/patches/SY77
sol.cs.ruu.nl /MIDI/DOC SY99
SY77
athene.uni-paderborn.de /pcsoft3/mac/sound/midi sy77voicelibrarian.cpt.hqx
cs.utk.edu /pub/martin/K2000/samp sy77tine.krz
ftp.luth.se /pub/misc/midi/mac sy77voicelibrarian.cpt.hqx
isfs.kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp /Mac/info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx
lth.se /mac/info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx
metten.fenk.wau.nl /pub/mac/info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx
nic.switch.ch /mirror/info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx
plaza.aarnet.edu.au /micros/mac/info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx
/micros/mac/umich/sound/midi sy77voicelibrarian.cpt.hqx
sics.se /pub/info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx
sumex-aim.stanford.edu /info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx
swdsrv.edvz.univie.ac.at /mac/info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx

From: dil

Sources of sy-voices:
louie.udel.edu /pub/midi
ftp.ucsd.edu /midi
Sources of sample-dump-standard-files:
alf.uib.no /pub/sds
sweaty.palm.cri.nz /sds
Sources of TX16W-samples:
ftp-ls7.informatik.uni-dortmund.de /pub/tx16w/samples
ftp.aii.com /pub/midi/tx16w

From: Jeff Leane <jle...@andersen.com>

You might also try ftp.uwp.edu.

I did an archie search on "sy85," "sy77,"and "yamaha". This being an
archie search, I cannot vouch for the quality of these results, only for
their completeness. :-)

[ These archie lists are awful long, so I (Ulrich) compressed them. ]

SY85 ----------------------------------------------------------
archie -s -h archie.sura.net sy85

ftp.ucsd.edu /midi/patches/SY85

SY77 ----------------------------------------------------------
archie -s -h archie.sura.net sy77

mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu /pub/info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx
nctuccca.edu.tw /Macintosh/info-mac/app patch-libr-sy77-synth.hqx
/Macintosh/umich-mac/sound/midi sy77voicelibrarian.cpt.hqx
nic.switch.ch /mirror/umich-mac/sound/midi sy77voicelibrarian.cpt.hqx
sol.cs.ruu.nl /MIDI/PROGRAMS/MAC sy77voicelibrarian.cpt.hqx.gz

YAMAHA ----------------------------------------------------------
archie -s -h archie.sura.net yamaha

ftp.germany.eu.net /pub/os/Linux/Mirror.SunSITE/X11/devel/supervga-info yamaha.doc
june.cs.washington.edu /pub/map/analog/gear yamaha.RY30.txt
kirk.bu.oz.au /pub/OS/Linux/packages/X11/devel yamaha.doc
louie.udel.edu /pub/midi/patches/DX7 yamaha.bank
/pub/midi/sequences/Yamaha
mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu /pub/linux/X11/devel/supervga-info yamaha.doc
nic.switch.ch /mirror/linux/sunsite/X11/devel/supervga-info yamaha.doc
nz20.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de /pub/linux/mirror.sunsite/X11/devel/supervga-info yamaha.doc
optima.cs.arizona.edu /japan/kahaner.reports yamaha.94
sol.cs.ruu.nl /MIDI/DOC Yamaha-CS, YamahaAnalogs, YamahaDXs
swdsrv.edvz.univie.ac.at /unix/systems/linux/sunsite/X11/devel/supervga-info
yamaha.doc
ftp.ucsd.edu /midi/patches/DX7 yamaha.bank
/midi/patches/yamaha
ugle.unit.no /disk2/pub/linux/X11/devel yamaha.doc
unix.hensa.ac.uk /pub/sunsite/pub/Linux/X11/devel/supervga-info yamaha.doc
/pub/uunet/doc/literary/obi/Standards/VGA yamaha.txt.Z
world.std.com /obi/Standards/VGA yamaha.txt

Samples at:

louie.udel.edu /pub/midi/samples

From: Tarun the Audio Guy <eau...@orion.oac.uci.edu>

With all this discussion about getting samples for the SY85/99, I
thought that I might mention ftp.ucsd.edu. They have a ton of samples
in .AU format. These waves can be converted to .WAV through SOX, and then
to .SDS via the SDX program.

The big drawbacks are that these are .AU files which are eight bit
and of relatively low sampling rates. Still, I have found many neato sound
effects that sound great when played through my SY85, and have actually
inspired me onto new compositions.

The other big drawback is that its really hard to make a useable
instrument out of these waves, since you only get one sample. I like to
use the site to get special effects sounds like clock towers, birds,
bottles being smashed, garbage cans etc.....

#Q: What ftp sites are good for posting samples?
From: "JOEL STERN" <ST...@MAIL.LOC.GOV>

A couple of suggestions:
ftp.ls7informatik.uni-dortmund.de (=129.217.52.140);
161.66.1.11 /pub/midi/? (don't know the names)
134.10.2.20 in pub/samples.

#Q: Does anyone know how to get/send voices for the TG-77 via email?

#Q: What to do with .Z, .GZ, .tar, .uu, .TZ, .TGZ etc?
From: ai...@rs3.rrz.uni-koeln.de (Ulrich Koepping)

All these file-extensions indicate, that the corresponding file is
compressed, archived and/or encoded. All these is needed to create one
compact file out of many which is also transferable by mail.
Extension file is remove with comand
Z compressed uncompress <file>.Z
gz gnu-zipped gunzip <file>
tar archived tar -xvf <file>
uu uuencoded uudecode <file>
TZ = .tar.Z
TGZ = .tar.GZ

#Q: Where can I find drum patterns?
-----------------------------------
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

I know of two sources for drumpatterns:
1. ftp.uwp.edu has some in their midifile collection
2. thanks to Andrew <al...@b29hp.bt.co.uk> I'm just putting
the PD Editor/Librarian TAKE500 (for Atari ST) on our
little ftp site. There is still a problem with TAKE500 itself
(transmission error?) but it comes bundled with 100 drumpatterns.
The doc says they are the same that come with every SY-85.
Well, I just put those on our site so just ftp to:

ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
and go (directly!!!) to directory "/pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list"

## Other sources of information

#Q: Books/Papers about FM synthesis
-----------------------------------
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

There are no books specially about the SY-series,
however for all people interested in synthesis basics,
I would recommend "The secrets of analog and digital synthesis"
by Steve deFuria (publisher ???)
It was written at the times of analog synths and the DX7,
but explains the basic concepts of envelopes, filters, etc and
also FM.

A "scientific" paper about FM is:
J. Chowning
"The Synthesis of Complex Audio Spectra by Means of Frequency
Modulation"
J. Audio Eng. Soc. 21, no. 7 (1973):526-534

The standard reference for FM is:
J. Chowning and D. Bristow
"FM Theory and Applications by Musicians for Musicians"
Yamaha Music Foundation, Tokyo, 1986
ISBN 4-636-17482-8
however it seems this book is impossible to get nowadays.

F"ur deutsche Leser, die an FM-Programmierung interessiert
sind, ist das Buch von Gorges "uber den DX7 *sehr* zu empfehlen.
Es behandelt Theorie und Praxis der Sound-Programmierung und
enth"alt auch viele Beispiele:
Peter Gorges
Das komplette DX7 Handbuch
GC Gunther Carstensen Verlag
M"unchen 1988

In general I think good books on DX7 FM programming will give
a lot of ideas ...

I also tried "The secrets of analog synthesis" by Steve deFuria,
an American book which is very much on beginnner level but at
least contains some hints how to use the classical
Oscillator->Filter->Amplifier paradigm of synthesis.
I would not really recommend this book unless for complete
beginners in sound programming though.

From: mch...@telco.com (Mike McHugh)

I have a good book called "FM Theory & Applications (by Musicians for
Musicians)" by Dr. John Chowning & David Bristow. It was published by Yamaha
Music Foundation in 1986. The ISBN# is 4-636-17482-8 COO73. It has good
examples for the DX7, which should be applicable to the SY77/99 (I wouldn't
know as I don't have one YET!). It starts with the small components of a
sound which you build on to produce complete voices. Of course, this deals
only with the FM stuff and not the wave stuff. I don't know if this is what
you are looking for.

From: jen...@qcj.icon.com (Quinn Jensen)

To SY list members, FYI, in case you were not already aware:

As Jeff Harrington alluded to some months ago, the winter issue of
CMJ contains the article on matching FM to samples using genetic
algorithms.

Andrew Horner, James Beauchamp, and Lippold Haken, "Machine
Tongues XVI: Genetic Algorithms and Their Application to FM
Matching Synthesis," Computer Music Journal, 17:4, pp. 17-29,
Winter 1993.

Abstract:

Historically, frequency modulation (FM) synthesis has required
trial and error to create emulations of natural sounds. This
article presents a genetic-algorithm-based technique which
determines optimized parameters for reconstruction through FM
synthesis of a sound having harmonic partials. We obtain the
best results by using invariant modulation indices and a multiple
carrier formant FM synthesis model. We present our results along
with extensions and generalizations of the technique.

A very interesting paper.

From: ram...@smtp-gw.spawar.navy.mil (Douglas Ramsay)

Has anyone heard of the "Yamaha MIDI System Guide" entitled "DIGITAL X BOOK"
It doesn't appear to have a named author but the publisher is:
RITTOR MUSIC (Amsco Publications). The US ISBN is 0.8256.10613.

Ok...for those who don't know, the book only pertains to Yamaha's "X"
series (DX/TX/RX/KX/QX) of instruments. I believe the book came out in
'86 so not even all of the series is covered. It covers digital
applications of using synths, sequencers and drums in differnet setups
and has a short section on recording among other things. Basically a
good book for "X-fans"

Is there a good book explaining Cubase?
---------------------------------------
From: ol...@GophServ.hrz.uni-siegen.de

There is a book available via German ISBN-No.:
Das grosse Cubase-Handbuch
Muenchen: Carstensen 1992
ISBN 3-9802026-8-2
424 Seiten, 30cm, 65,00 DM

## Software - editors / librarian

#Q: Where can I get additional software for the SYs?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

An adaptation for the SY99 for the midian is available at the usual ftp-site:
ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
in directory /pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list
(please cd *directly* into this dir, then there will be no problems).

The sy99 adaptation should also be usable in most parts for the
sy/tg77, however I encourage any 77 user to supply the missing
parts... (and also the rest of the sy-gang to do the same for
their baby).

For the new ones here: midian is a generic MIDI librarian including
sample support for the Atari ST/STE/TT/F30 line of computers.

#Q: Is there a librarian for the SY-series?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

Yes. It runs on Atari ST/STE/F30 computers and is able
(following the docs) to receive and transmit patches and samples
for a big number of synths/samplers and also can convert/extract
samples and sys-ex from different file formats.
Two drawbacks:
1. docs are in German (well this actually is comfortable for some
list members of course) and
2. concerning Yamaha synths there is no adaptation for the SY
series patches yet (but the other functions should work).
If I have time, I will try to work out a SY99 adaptation,
but if anybody else volunteers I'll be happy ;->

You can find the program on our ftp-server
ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de in the directory
/pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list.
Please "cd" directly to this directory, otherwise there will
possibly be problems (which I'm not going to explain again).
You will also find the dx7-patches in SY/TG77 format there.

From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

I bought the (to my knowledge) only available SY99 editor/librarian some
weeks ago. It is for the Atari ST, made by a German company (Y.NOT)
which offers a lot of synth-editors and costs 290,- DM.
My personal opinion regarding this project is that I had better spent
the money on a general librarian (like Soundsurfer) and forget about the
editing :-[ The editor section is nearly useless since many things can
be done *better* on the SY99:
All Envelopes are displayed in much too low resolution, there is no
possibility to display more than one thing (e.g. operator parameters)
at one time, and no way to synchronize editing between operators or
elements.
The only things which are improved with this PRG are (IMHO) selection
of samples, effects etc (from a name list), and the editing of related
parameters (especially all controller parameters are on one page).
Also there is the general problem that the Yamaha synths cannot send
the edit buffer over MIDI, which makes parallel editing (synth and computer)
hard. (shame on you, Yamaha engineers)
The Librarian section I found useful: it only works with Voices, but can store
them in a compressed format, do some nice things like delete doubles, sort
in various ways etc.
However I find this PRG overpriced if one only wants to use the library section.

#Q: Is there a librarian for Amiga?
-----------------------------------
From: Jean Alexis Montignies <j...@lithnext.epfl.ch>

SynthLibrarian v_1.0 has been released on aminet today.
You should find it in the mus/midi directory.

I'd like to hear some reactions about this program.

I've wrote a program for Amiga wich is a small librarian for several
synths. Before dealing any data with the synthetizer, you have to select
a driver, ie :the one for your synth. Existing drivers are for Yamaha
SY22-Sy35-TG33 (tested only on SY22), and Yamaha Electone (tested only
on yamaha HS4).

So yes it is flexible ,because you can write a driver for each synth.
The program just deals with serial.device, timer.device, GUI of the
window,files...
All you have to write is an finite states machine for dealing with
the datas and deciding what action is to do next.

So it requires a programming knowledge to write a driver.

But in some cases, it should be possible to reuse a important part of
the code i've already wrote, for example the SY22 driver.

It may be possible to improve the program by making driver specific
gadgets possible, so anyone could write a editor or functions.

I haven't got many time to write some drivers, but if you want to
write drivers, i will send you the sources, and some explanations.

Better, if you want to write EDITORS (very COOL), i will add the
driver specific gadget feature.

The docs are still in french and the program is localized for English
and French, i am interested in people writing other catalogs files or
translating the docs.

#Q: Where I can copy a simple patch editor for SY-22 (or 35)?

#Q: Is there a editor/librarian for the SY-35 / SY-22 under Windows?

#Q: Does anyone know where I can get an editor for my Yamaha TG-500?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

Hi,
thanks to Andrew <al...@b29hp.bt.co.uk> the TG-500
editor/librarian TAKE500 for Atari ST is now on our
ftp-site ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
in /pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list

Please report any problems you have since I could not test
the program (I have no 500/85).

From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

It's available free in the UK by sending a blank formatted DD disk to
Yamaha and they'll send you TAKE_500 in return. Documentation is in
German and English and there are some sounds, the rhythm sequences from
the 85 in Cubase format (and some other) and some songs.

Check also out your local distributor--they'll probably know the score
and send you a copy, especially if you offer to port it and send them
back a copy :-)

#Q: Does TAKE_500 work with the SY85?
-------------------------------------

I used TAKE500 with my SY85 and it worked; the display of the SY85 shows
transmission errors, but all voice data are transmitted correctly.
I think it`s a very powerful Bankloader/editor program and easy to use.
Problems are:
1. It transmits/receives only Internal voice banks I1 and I2 (128 voices)
and performances I1 (64 performances). That`s the limits of the TG500.
2. Controller functions are different on the TG500.

I think point 2 is not so important, since all other edit functions
work fine.

#Q: Is there a editor for the TG55?
-----------------------------------
From: Flux...@aol.com

The TG55 editor (MS Windows 3.1) has been uploaded to ftp.uwp.edu under the
\pub\incoming\misc.music.files directory.

If anyone downloaded the TG55 editor version 2.0a from ftp.uwp.edu - Please
download version 2.0b file "TG55-V2B.ZIP" instead. Or send me your address
and I will be happy to mail you the latest version.

The '2.0 a' version does not save files correctly and will overwrite the
original file with INIT voices. DO NOT USE THE 2.0A VERSION. I am very
sorry for any problems this has caused.

Good luck to all - please write if u find bugs or have problems etc.

#Q: Is there a Shareware ed/lib for the TG55 on the Mac?

#Q: Is ther a sample editor for the SY-55 for my PC?

#Q: Are there TG500-MIDI Sample Dump programs for the ATARI ST or the PC?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

There are several (at least for the Atari): AVALON by Steinberg is a
little older and perhaps hard to find in the USA but it not only
loads/saves several file formats and sample dumps but is a full blown
sample editor (looping, filtering, FFT, and in the latest version even
software synthesis). It is expensive though (on the used market here in
Germany 300-350 DM).

If all you want to do is dumping disk files via MIDI into the TG you can
use MIDIAN, a PD (postcardware) program available e.g.via ftp from
ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de in directory /pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list

There are several such programs for the Atari ST though, I have another one
(which also supports very basic sample editing) at home and will check if it
is in the PD, so I can make it available.

But perhaps you should try browsing through one of the Atari ftp sites on the
net I'm quite shure you will find other options.

#Q: Is there a SY-99 editor / librarian for DOS, Windows or Linux?

From: Clifford_L_S...@xerox.com

I use the PC/XT/C1 SY/TG Quest Editor/Librarian. Here are the requirements
from the manual.

for PC/XT/AT/ DOS:
PC/XT/AT/PS2/C1 Compatible computer
640K memory
Graphics video card (all major cards - list in appendix of manual)
DOS 2.1 or higher (version 5.0 suggested)
Roland MPU or compatible or KEY MIDI interface
Hard drive
Microsoft, Logitech, or compatible mouse (strongly suggested)
minimum 550K-560K free DOS memory (The editor does not access expanded or
extended memory.)

MS Windows requirements:
286/386/486 computer
1 Meg memory
Microsoft Windows 3.0 in Standard Mode (start with WIN/S)
Roland MPU or compatible interface
Hard drive
Mouse
The program is not copy protected.

I use the program without a mouse on an 8086 compatible. The only problem I
have is that at DOS 3.10 the sequencer doesn't work. Maybe if I upgraded I
would have more memory available and the sequencer would work. Since I only use
the sequencer to audition patches I can use the arpeggiator (?) or chord
playback feature. I can also run a sequence from the SY/55 to audition patches.
Here is info on how to contact Sound Quest:

Sound Quest, Inc.
#2-131 W. 13th Ave.
Vancouver, BC
V5Y 1V8
CANADA
Tech Support (604) 874-9499
BBS/Fax (604) 874-8971

#Q: Are there any pd-editors for the sy77 on the atari?

From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

As far as I know there are several (not PD) editors for the SY-77
on the ATARI:
1. Polyframe by C-LAB (currently for 99,- DM or less new) probably the cheapest
is a generic editor (supports many other synths) and I heard it is very nice.
2. Steinberg SY-77 (forgot the exact name) is great (I saw it once) but very
expensive (350,- DM I think)
3. EMAGIC Souddiver (also for the Mac I think, and soon (?) on PC) is an inprovement
on Polyframe by the same author and about 350,- DM (also for many synths
including the SY-99) I hope my dealer will get it soon so I can see what
it is worth. What I know from descriptions (see http://web.city.ac.uk/~cb170/EMAGIC/ss.html
if you have WWW access) this thing beats everything else by far.
4. There is also a SY-77 editor by Geerdes (German software company) don't know
any details.

Perhaps the rather cheap Polyframe is an option for someone looking for an PD editor.
On the used market this should be close to PD...

From: s...@unstable.demon.co.uk (Simon Kunath)

In addition to the editors Herbert mentions there is X-OR for
Atari,costs about 150 UKP,but has librarian & edit functions for
about 150 midi devices.(sy/tg55 & '77's but no '99 or '85 ) :-(
I've been using this for about three years,in Dr T's MPE (Multi
Program Environment)running with the Omega sequencer etc,*real
fine* software......takes care of all my synths/Fx & gathers their
current settings with one key-press,file that, & get it all back
to-morrow...the same....Anyone with more than a couple of
multitimbral synths will appreciate this function.Plus a fine
database....

#Q: Is ther a Windows editor for the TG500?

## Software - other software

#Q: What about MIDIQuest for Windows?
-------------------------------------
From: Harry Haecker (haec...@nwrc.gov) (bth...@lsuvm.bitnet)

I've got a friend who uses MIDIQuest for Windoze, and let me hook up
my TG-77 to his 'puter to check it out (in case I'd like to purchase
it). In general I think it's a good program, allowing one to create
mixes, blends, and random patches, and graphically edit them; however,
it doesn't handle the fact that 4 element patches can only be saved to
Bank D. That is, when a bank of 16 voices is created, it gets sent to
Bank A <sound of game show "wrong" buzzer>. One has to send each
voice, one at a time, to the desired bank address.

Is there an TG/SY-77 editor/librarian for Windows that handles this
problem in an intelligent manner?

#Q: Do you know of any free MIDI sequencers for an IBM PC?
From: m...@chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski)

Free, none, but cheap, yes. Look at PowerChords Pro (?) from PG Music.
There is an add in any "Keyboard" magazine. $29.

#Q: Does anyone know of any softwares for SY-85 on Mac?

## managing patches / samples

#Q: How can I dump new samples in the SY-85?
From: "The Keagal, Keagal and Vark Club" <WHI...@ac.dal.ca>

Firstly any intsturment that supports sample dump standard will work.
(e.g. K2000 manages various sample formats, Akai, newer roland samplers)
Connect the SY85's MIDI out to the sampler, and the samplers MIDI
out to the SY85. Next load the samples you want into the sampler. The
sampler does not have to be set to any special mode. Press "shift" and
"utility" on the SY85, this gets you into sample mode. Press the "midi"
sub-mode button...this gets you into sample dump mode. Use the page
arrow keys to make sure you are in "recieve" page not "transmit" page.

Next select the sample number that you see on the screen, you can
start with 0 and go up to 1, 2, 3, ect ( I think to 64). Press "enter". If
all is connect properly then you should see a count of "sample packets
transmitted" on the SY85. If nothing happens probably the two synths are not
connected over MIDI, or one of them isnt set to recieve MIDI - there is a
handshaking going on between the two so both need to know the other is there.
If all goes well sample data should be transmitted. When the trasnfer is done
, then set the sample number on the sy85 up by one, and press enter again.
The SY85 will then recieve the next sample of the multi sample in the sampler,
or the next sample you have loaded in.
The next step is to get the sample to play! You must turn the waveform
"on", and set the sample numbers that you want to correspond to that waveform.
These functions are under "shift-utility,sub-mode synthsetup". If you have
gotten this far I am sure you can figure the rest out. Assign the waveform to a
sound and your all set.
The waveform can be saved, as a set of wave forms and sounds by SAVE ALL. Or as an individual sample under the "shift-utility submode disk" function.

OK, so once again my explination is confusing and plagued by Yamaha speak! My
advice is to make a dry run: try to find all the modes and pages I mentioned
by using your wits or your manual. Second set a whole afternoon a side with a
sampler the first time you want to do this...the second time took me only
minutes a disk. Some more advice...try drum sample first cause they short and
you can fit lots in the 512k and you can have fun trying to mapp them. Make
sure any sample you want to dump is less than 512k (or less than you memory).
Dont try to use the popular ensoniqs samplers, they dont support midi dump
(darn!!!).

#Q: Could someone please advise me on the best way to convert a sample which
has been created from REPLAY 8 (file extension of *.spl) into a format which
MIDIAN will understand (I am using SOX for the PC and SDX for the PC).

#Q: How can I change SY-22 (35) memory bank (Internal/Preset) with sequencer?

#Q: Is it possible to save/load single patches?
From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

To the RAM card, yes. To a disk, no.

From: sm...@sosi.com (Stephen Muth)

No. Not unless you do Sysex dumps from your computer.... assuming you
have a MIDI card. Probably the biggest pain in the buttski surrounding
the SY-85. I save both voice and performance data as Sysex dumps. To
receive, turn Bulk Protect off, set the synth to the voice you want to
overwrite and send the voice data. Do the same for the performances,
but then go into the performance edit to make sure the performance
accesses the right voices.

#Q: Anyone know how to backup the RAM card to disk?
From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

Working from memory (always suspect), I seem to remember that it's under
System, sub option Card, and then there's a page that you load/save all.
Load all patches into the RAM area (ie normal Internal Performances and
Voices) and then do a usual System/Disk/Save/Synth and that should do it.
I'm not aware of any direct method from card to disk, only via the Internal
memory.

From: sm...@sosi.com (Stephen Muth)

Not this kid... I opted for the internal waveform RAM, and so
am hosed on the RAM cards.

#Q: Is there a way of transfering SY85 info/sounds (either off
DISK/CARD) into my TG500 as I would like the same sound pallette
from the SY85 library on my TG.
From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

Since a normal RAM card (MCD64?) stores patches, not waves, a card will
only transfer patches accurately that use common waves on both machines
(this shouldn't be a problem 85->500--maybe a bit of adjustment is
reqd--but the 500 has a larger ROM of waves (8mb vs 6mb?) so it's not so
good 500->85). If there's a ROM card of new waves, that's OK course :-)
I've never been able to dump card waves to disk. Anyone else? Other than
connecting an SY85 to a TG500 and using the MDR capabilites or simply doing
a SysEx to a sequencer/bulk dumper and playing it back, I've got no ideas.
(This should transfer samples that have been loaded into the 85's RAM OK,
just not ones from ROM cards.)

#Q: Did any SY-85 or TG-500 user ever successfully load a TX sample ?
From: sm...@sosi.com (Stephen Muth)

Kevin White got me clued in as to how to load TX16W samples to the SY-85.
The .Wxx files must first be converted to samplevision (SMP) format,
using a utility on the same system as the TX16w samples.... I'm
away from all my notes on this stuff.... after this, SOX can be used
to transform the SMP files to SDS files, which is the true internal
representation of the samples for the TX16W, SY-85 and SY-99 systems.

SDS = MIDI sample dump standard format. The SDS files must then be
beamed into the SY-85 using a MIDI interface. This is the only
way we've been able to crack the code so far. If y'all want
more specifics.... E-mail me directly, and I'll get mo' organized
an' whip up mo' info pronto-like.

#Q: What program can I use for sample-conversion?
From: "GEORGE KRISTINA" <GKRI...@SWITCHNG.remnet.rockwell.com>

I have uploaded the program Wave-to for Windows to the unofficial ftp
site for SY users: ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

As I mentioned in a previous note, this file will convert between many
different sample types, including SDS, and will execute sample dumps
from a PC. The program supports .wav, .aiff, SDS, SY85 waveforms, and
about 5 or 6 other types. The file is pkzipped.

#Q: How can I rearrange patches, e.g. merge patches from two banks?

From: "arnshea clayton" <cla...@grace.wharton.upenn.edu>

Load in the synth file that has the most of your favorites on, into the
internal ram. Save it as an ALL file (not a synth all, an ALL DATA file).
Do the same thing for every synth file that has a sound on it you like.
Now, load in the one with the most. From there, you can go into load, and
select (load 1 voice). It will display every ALL data file on the disk.
You push DIR (f8 I think) and it should give you a list of all the voices.
Move the cursor over the one you want to move then press f2 (for
destination). Choose where you want to put it in the internal memory. In
this way, you can move all your voices!

BTW: You can do a similar task for multi's by loading 1 multi.

#Q: How can I dump samples from Macintosh into the SY-85?
From: A_M...@PAVO.CONCORDIA.CA

Most sample editors will let you open standard Mac sound files
and dump them to your synth.. i.e. Alchemy. Keep in mind that
anything recorded at 8 bit, 22 kHz doesn't sound too hot, even
after you've added effects...

## sound programming

#Q: Where to start with sound programming?
From: cla...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Speaker4TheDead)

#Q: I know I've hardly scratched the surface of the synth's capabilities.
I'd like to move in to the arena of sound programming, combining AFM and
AWM to make up my own sounds, but I have no idea where to begin. I don't
know much about algorithms, inputs, etc. I have a very incomplete
understanding of things like attack, decay, and other waveform
characteristics. I know these apply mainly to AFM, but I've no idea how
to program sounds.

#A: [ This is no direct answer. Also some text skipped. Refers to SY-85. ]
From: sm...@sosi.com (Stephen Muth)

Envelopes are always a bitch, aren't they? Not only that, but
it is mostly the envelope that fools your head into thinking
"hey, I'm listening to a trumpet". The actual wave has
less to do with it than most people think.

Try checking out the SY's stock envelopes. If you need LOTS
of sustain, try the synth envelopes, one by one. They have
lots of sustain... but you might lose the piano attack.
You could try mixing and matching... look at what the SY
offers automatically, and compare envelopes. You could then
create your own from a bastardisation (did I spell it correctly,
for the British spelling?) of the suggested Yamaha envelopes.

Also.... consider using performances. Try mixing and matching
E-paino sounds. If you like the attack of one, use it at the
beginning. Then you can create a voice that takes care of the sustain
part but may have a crummy attack. The performance editor can then
be used to mix and match pieces of voices at different times
to crweate something you can live with.

#Q: What does "lp" in a sample name mean?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

Probably this is only the looped part of the sample. On the 99 such
waves are called "Stuff xx" with xx being some number (not very
informative). Those samples without attack phase are nice for doing more
experimental stuff with "natural" samples.

#Q: What is a good sampling frequency?
--------------------------------------
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

When experimenting with my SY99 sample RAM I mostly used sampling rates of about
30kHz which will give frequency response up to 15kHz. I can hear a difference
only for very few sounds (e.g. very clear sampled ride cymbal) compared to
the original rate (something >> 40kHz). Note that
(1) synths usually don't have D/A converters as good as a good CD/DAT,
(2) they transpose the samples anyway which will give you aliasing/interpolation
artifacts, and
(3) most sounds don't really need bright ultra highs, just have a look at the
amp of your favourite guitar player...

Concerning (2) however I think for interpolation schemes a high sample rate will
help a little.

BTW, I once used one of the TX16W grand piano samples and converted it to 8-bit,
20kHz(?) and loaded into the 99: real great sound, I like such stuff !!!

#Q: How can I create an E-piano with a long sustain?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

I don't know about the SY-85 specifics but a good method to
"make" e-pianos is to combine 2 elements (Voices on the 85 ?).
Use 1 element for the attack sound (there should be different
samples of those in ROM) and try to adjust the key attack sound
by using a percussive envelope with the key rate scaling
(which varies the envelope of the sound depending on the key
you play) properly adjusted.
Use a second element for the sustained sound. This can be anything
from a sinewave (very dull) to a synth wave (sawtooth etc).
If you want to vary the sound you can use a low pass filter on a bright
sample here and let it be controlled by a mod wheel.

## YAMAHA-specials: user interface, compatibility etc.

#Q: Is there an undocumented Diagnostic Mode on the SY85/99?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

This brings up diagnostic mode on power up, be warned that you
are able to erase the RAM voices and reformat the disk here.

SY99: Voice + Bank D + Voice 8
SY85: Shift + Store + Exit/No

From: jen...@qcj.icon.com (Quinn Jensen)

SY22: Cursor < + Cursor > + Voice
SY77: Voice + Bank D + Voice 8 (with power already on)

#Q: How are the naming conventions for the file extensions of saved files?

#Q: Do the data formats of the SY-99 differ from other YAMAHA-formats?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

The disk drives on Yamaha synths are all roughly compatible
to DOS/Atari 720 kB format. Roughly means: do never create directories
on these disks, do not use lowercase letters or special characters
in filenames (which is possible from the SY side), and if you want
to be shure format disks only on the SY.

The SY 99 can read disk files, Data Cards and MIDI dumps from the
SY/TG77. However only the disk files will be converted completely,
for MIDI dumps the FX settings will be ignored (Data Cards ???).

Wave Cards (the ones with samples on them) should be compatible
across the whole SY series.

The SY-synths equipped with sample RAM (SY99, SY85 and TG500) can
all receive/transmit MIDI sample dumps.
The SY99 can also load samples from disk in the TX16W format
(a Yamaha sampler), the SY85 should also do this, but people
reported problems with that.

From: ochi...@etdesg.TRW.COM (Craig F. Ochikubo)

The SY99 can load SY77 voices, even saved in all format (although
the effects transfer is terrible - reverb times are too long, dealy
times are off too.

#Q: Self changing parameters, or: the SY-85 slider problem

From char...@dddandy.dundee.NCR.COM Wed Mar 9 15:17:03 1994
#Q: I have a specific problem when editing - I find that the CS
parameters have an annoying habit of changing by themselves. Eg if I'm
editing a performance voice using CS2, the SY will 'jump' to CS8 AND
assign a value to it. This effect tends to happen if I've been editing
for a period of time, normally about 15 minutes, but the effect is
sporadic. I can cure the fault by switching the SY off and on again and
this gives me another 15 minutes of editing time.

From: "Thomas Gruen" <t...@cs.uni-sb.de>
A:The problem: I guess that the `continuous sliders' (CS) are realized via
============ potentiometers and (7 Bit) A/D converters. If the slider is
near to the point where the value changes, a slight touch
(or even a heavy keystroke) is sufficient to let it change.
If there is dust on the potentiometers the effect will still
increase.

The work-around: Don't use the sliders for data entry and make sure that
================ they are at the lower or upper end position. Just press
the keys corresponing to the sliders and use the data
wheel for editing.

Its possible for Yamaha to eliminate this problem with an EPROM update.
They only have to ignore big changes on a not selected CS.

BTW: The CS-80 (in the early 80's) had real continuous sliders which sent
only value CHANGES (like the data wheel) when they were moved. So the
techniques for avoiding this problem are known for a long time, but
perhaps it was to expensive to implement them ...

#Q: Where comes the noise burst from, when moving the volume sliders?
From: 1loe...@rzdspc2.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Dietrich Loebner)

#Q: I've notice the following on my 99: If I push up the two output
sliders as a voice is playing, I hear a short burst of noise as they hit
the top 1/8th of their range.

A: I registered exactly the same problem. Could the contacts be oxidated?

#Q: Differences between TG500 and SY85
--------------------------------------

From: Bastian Pusch <pus...@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>

The TG500 is a slightly expanded brain of the SY85: You have a couple of
waveforms added. On the other hand: the sequencer is missing in the
TG500 (should not be a big disadvantage). Also missing is the
possibility to upgrade your memory with normal PC-Simms. A TG500 is only
upgradable with (max 2) 0.5 MB Yamaha-memory boards that are
non-volatile but quite expensive. That's life!

[ Also look at the SY-specifications further down!!! ]

#Q: How about the sysex-compatability between the tg77 and the sy99?
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

If I got it right the SY77, TG77 and SY99 transmit Sys-Ex
information for every voices (in a voice bulk dump) in two parts:
one contains all the synth parameters ond a second one does
define the FX settings/routings. Since the latter are not compatible
between the 77s and the 99, they are ignored, that is if you send
a 77 voice bulk dump to a SY99, the FX will be off.
I don't remember what happens with bank dumps though (should be the same).

Note that if you want to keep/convert the FX settings too, there is a way:
you have to put your 77 voices into a SY77 *file*. The 99 can load this
and automatically converts it to its FX processors.
If you don't have a SY77 there are two other possible (?) ways:
1. A guy in rec.music.makers.synth said that he is writing a
77-SysEX -> SY77-file converter
2. try it with a voice card (I'm not shure if this works but the 99
allows you to use 77 cards).

#Q: Can magnetic fields cause patch data changes?
From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

Could this be the mysterious ROM chip fault that was talked about. Or that
the slider that can altered the patch was knocked? Don't know about maf
fields tho'.

From: sm...@sosi.com (Stephen Muth)

Could be the infamous slider problem.... they're glitchy. Because the
sliders "creep" this can cause patch cahanges - solved by moving sliders
all the way down and using the wheel to change patches.

#Q: Why do some disks load faster on the SY-99 than others?
From: ai...@rs3.rrz.uni-koeln.de

First possibility: if you load files saved by an SY-77 the SY-99
converts them while loading. This takes time and so disks from an SY-77
take more time to load.

Second possibility: YAMAHA uses a special disk format, with larger gaps
(free space between sectors) on the disk. If you use a disk not formated
with a SY, a sector is simply to close to the next. When loading, the SY
misses the following sector and needs to wait a full disk rotation to
read it again. (Takes time!!!) Work around: 1) Use just YAMAHA formated
disks or 2) use a special format programm with your computer, that is
able to format with interleaving. Interleave must be set to 2 (=
interleave factor 5), so the sectors must be on the disk in this way:
1 6 2 7 3 8 4 9 5. Or enlarge the gaps. A programm with interleaving is
Hyperformat for the STs (PD).

#Q: What format have the .Wxx files? (Sample files on SY-85)
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

Well there is still no last word spoken on this (on this list at least).
The SY-99 can read and write TX16W samples which use *.Wxx format.
The TX16W format is documented in the TX16W FAQ and also can be found on
ftp.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de in /pub/outgoing/heja/sy-list :-]

However, some SY85 users reported that reading of TX file did not work
and also by reading the TX16W format definition you will see that the format
is somewhat ugly and some parameters are only defined for the TX16W
(e.g. only 3 different sample rates are defined).
I assume that the SY format is an extension to the TX format and maybe the
SY-85 is not fully backward compatible.

#Q: Can my synth play 32 notes at the same time as said in the handbook?
From: ai...@rs3.rrz.uni-koeln.de

(I refer to my SY-99, on the others this might be a little different.)
The synth has got a total amount of elements, 16 AFMs and 16 AWMs.
The number of 32 notes is the maximum which is possible if you use
simple voices (that means voices using just 1 AFM or 1 AWM element).
Then you can play 32 notes simultanous by using an optimal mix of
these. If you use more complex voices, the number of playable notes at
one time decreases. Worst case is for example a voice with 4 AWM
element, you just can play 4 notes at one time!! (16 total AWM element
divided by 4 is 4) Another exapmle: using a 2AWM and 2AFM voice give you
8 notes.

## Expansions for the SY-series

#Q: Is there a 5 megabytes RAM upgrade for the SY-99?
From: 1loe...@rzdspc2.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Dietrich Loebner)

I faxed two companies and didn't get any answer. But I'll start another
try with the hint that there is many interest in the whole world ;).
Here is an adress of one comany:
TSI GmbH, Neustr. 9-12, D-53498 Waldorf
Tel: +49 2636 7001, Fax: +49 2636 7935

#Q: Are there cheap SY-99 RAM expansion boards (cheaper than the originals)?

#Q: Are there good ROM-expansion boards for the SY-99?

#Q: Is there a board for the SYs that doubles the sample library?
From: Brendan S McEnroe <cs8...@brunel.ac.uk>

It is available from AMG The Advanced Media Group
Hurst Lane
Privett
Nr. Alton
Hants
GU34 3PL
England

Tel. 073088 383

Musitronics SY/TG77 PCM.EX Expansions. New expansions for the Sy that
add 4 Megs of new PCM samples doubling the total memory to 8 Meg.
Samples are available 113 to 255

I have a list of all the samples but roughly:
- Some pianos, a number of different guitars, Trumpts, horns ...
- Synthesizer Sounds: Warm Pads, Moog Slides, 7 Vocals, Fat Syn, 7 Attachs
- Drums another 60 or so samples including 808 kit
- 8 Digital waves
- 2 Wavesequences

It is also available for the 55 but dont have spec for that.

#Q: Are there problems when upgrading the SY-85s memory to the maximum?
From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

I read in the manual that using the Yamaha non-volatile boards (0.5 mb
each) means that samples from ROM cards cannot be loaded. And seeing as
I've never been able to crack the copy-protection thing on the cards,
this means to say that you'll never be able to use such cards.
Can non-volatile boards also be used?

#Q: How much must I spent for a memory expansion for my TG500.
From: k...@uvo.dec.com

I have just spent #130 on a .5 meg board which seems a bit expensive as SIMMS
would have been a cheaper alternative.

#Q: Has somebody in the nederlands produced a SCSI-interface for the sy99?

#Q: Are the expansion-cards for the SYs PCMCIA-cards?
From: A_M...@PAVO.CONCORDIA.CA

The cards don't appear to be PCMCIA. The data cards have only one row
of sockets (38), and the wave cards don't have sockets. They have
about 50 copper "lines" (whatever you call them) directly on the
circuit board -- like you would see on a Nintendo cartridge or a card
for your computer.

#Q: Are PCM cards for the 77 series available?

From: A_M...@PAVO.CONCORDIA.CA

The ones I know of are as follows:
Sax1, Drums1, Rock&Pop, Brass Section, String Section, Synth Wave 1
Synth Wave 2, House and Latin

House/Latin and Rock & Pop are the mostversatile (greatest number and variety
of samples). Sax1 and Drums1 didn't impress me.

You can also use waveform cards from any SY series synth, or the cards
from the RY30 drum machine. One caveat: Since the RY30 has a filter (which
can be controlled with a modulation wheel), it seems to me that the samples
on RY30 cards have been recorded with a LOT of high end. And, since you
can't have a filter on a Drum Set patch, I find myself having to make
a separate patch for the snare, one for the bass drum, etc. for best results.

## Applications with the SYs

#Q: Can I use the SY-77 as a storage utility for other MIDI-instruments?
From: cla...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Speaker4TheDead)

Set up the module who's information you want to store in the SY as the
master, and the SY as the slave. Set them to the same channel. In my
case, I used channel 15, which I will always use (if you define a multi,
do NOT assign any sounds at all to the channel you use) to store the
sequence data. On the SY77, the only things you should take care of are
in the setup (in song mode). Make sure the messages you wish to record
are set as on, and make sure midi control is on. Change the sync (normal
song mode) mode to midi. Change the receive setting (after pressing
record) to the appropriate channel (in my case, 15). Then push play on
the module you wish to record (in my case the DR660).

The only drawback is timing. You are literally recording all of the
sysex data in real time. I tried to speed this data up by changing the
tempo of my DR660 up very high. The SY misses a lot of notes if the tempo
is set much higher than 100 (by miss I mean it will record them in the
wrong sequence, a few notes off).

To check if the sequence-recording worked, make the SY the master, and the
module the slave. Make sure the slave is set to trigger the appropriate
sounds (in the case of the drum machine, the kit must be the same or you
get noise). Set the receive channel on the module to the channel you
recorded on SY sequencer. Playback!

This is a cheap way to use your SY as an editor (you can edit the sequence
with the SY's edit function) and as a storage facility.

#Q: Can I use the SY for recording dump-sysex-messages of other keyboards?
From: jen...@qcj.icon.com (Quinn Jensen)

Unfortunately, the SY77 will only record sysex packets up to 32 bytes long.
I wish it could handle more. Does the SY99?

## Questions about MIDI

#Q: What does SYSEX stand for?
------------------------------
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

"sysex" is the abbreviation for "system exclusive", which is a special
kind of message type defined in the MIDI specifications, which is
specific to a certain system (i.e. synth or manufacturer). sysex
messages are commonly used for editing capabilities over the MIDI line
and for voice and bank dumps from/to e.g. a computer.

#Q: What is general MIDI?
-------------------------

Look at the FAQ posted in the rec.music.makers.synth newsgroup.

## Detailed technical specifications

From: m...@chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski)

GENERAL:
Producer: Yamaha
Model: SY77 (TG77 is its rack version)
Release-date: 1990, 1st quarter
Street-prince: France: 13.5 kF
Used-price: ???
$_Id: sy77 1.1 93/01/24 12:57:12 ROOT_DOS Exp $

ARCHITECTURE:
Synthesis-typ: Samples ("AWM2"), 6-op FM ("AFM"), FM modulation of FM
operators by an AWM2 generator ("RCM"), subtractive.
Voice-arch: A voice is composed of 1, 2 or 4 AFM or AWM2 elements;
AFM has 45 algorithms, 3 feedback loops, 16 waveforms,
2 modulation inputs for each of 6 operators;
AWM2 elements can FM selected AFM operators;
such a "voice" should rather be called a "performance".
Sample-res: 16 bits; 32 or 48 kHz; internal 24 bit processing; 22 bit DACs
Sample-memory: 4 Mb with 112 samples (multi-samples?)
Keyboard: 61 keys, velocity sensitive, mono AT
Voices: 128 in ROM, 64 in RAM, 64 on card
Performances: a voice is actually a performance
Multis: 16 in ROM, 16 in RAM, ??? on card
Polyphony: 16 AFM generators, 16 AWM2 gen.
Multitimbral: 16 parts
Note-assign: priority to last note, dynamic or static voice allocation
Filters: time-variant; 1 LPF 12dB/octave + 1 LPF/HPF 12 dB/octave
per generator; adjustable resonance;
Yamaha speaks about "digital convolution filters",
but I think real-time digital filters are necessarily
based on convolution.
LFO: 2 per generator
Envelopes: 6 segs for each of 6 AFM operators;
6 segs on each of 2 filters;
5 segments on volume, pan and pitch.
Drum-sounds: 61 samples (but not General MIDI compatible)

Effects: 4 stereo programmable effect processors: 2 reverberation-style
and 2 modulation-style (chorus, flanger, symphonic, tremolo)

SEQUENCER: (SY77 only)
Tracks: 16 tracks
Songs: 1
Simult-notes: 32 through dynamic voice allocation
Capacity: 16 000 notes
Modes: real-time, step, punch-in
Records only one track and one channel at a time;
Resolution: 1/96th of a quarter note
Patterns: 99

Audio-outputs: 2 stereo (TG: 8 additional mono), phones
On the TG77, an individual output can either receive
an element in voice mode, or an entire voice in multi mode.
Ext-storage: RAM voice cards: MCD64 (64 KB);
sysex; 3.5" DD, MSDOS-compatible drive (TG: no)
Card-slots: 1 for parameter data, 1 for waveforms (512 KByte or 1MB)
Yamaha provides either data cards using internal samples,
or 2-card sets composed of each card type.
MIDI-support: TG: complete
Display: LCD 240x64 backlighted, ??? LEDs (TG: 4)
Int-controls: keyboard, wheels: pitch (??? bits), modulation, programmable
mod with center detent (TG: no)
volume x 2,
data entry pot
Ext-controls: Foot controller, Sustain switch, Volume pedal, Breath ctrl,
MIDI in/out/thru

VARIOUS:
Weight: SY: ???
TG: 8 kg
Dimensions: SY: ???
TG: 3U, ???
Accessories: SY: ???
TG: 3-meter MIDI cable)
Back-door: ???
Pos-comments: Big potential
Neg-comments: No master controller possibilities - only one channel;
Sends/recognizes only program changes 0-63;
Doesn't recognize HD diskettes

GENERAL:
Producer: Yamaha
Model: SY85 (TG500 is its rack version, approximatively)
Release-date: 1992, 3rd quarter
Street-price: France: 11.8 to 12.8 kF (TG: 8.99 kF)
Used-price: ???
$_Id: sy85 1.1 93/01/24 12:57:12 ROOT_DOS Exp $

ARCHITECTURE:
Synthesis-typ: Samples ("AWM2"), subtractive
Voice-arch: A voice is based on either a ROM or a RAM multi-sample,
called a "waveform".
1 to 4 voices can be superposed in a "performance".
The synth can work in either the "voice", or "performance",
or "multi" mode.
Sample-res: 16 bits, ??? kHz
Sample-memory: 6 Mb ROM, 244 waves, many multi-sampled; (TG: 8 Mb)
0.5 Mb volatile RAM; RAM can be expanded to
2.5 MB volatile using two 80ns SIMM modules
and to 1 Mb non-volatile, using SYEMB06 modules
(TG: no RAM, extensible to 1MB of non-volatile RAM).
Keyboard: 61 keys, velocity sensitive, mono AT
Voices: 256 in RAM, 256 on card (TG: 252 in ROM, 126 in RAM)
Performances: 128 in RAM, 128 on card (TG: 128 in ROM, 64 in RAM)
Multis: 10 in RAM, ??? on card
Polyphony: 30 AWM2 generators (TG: 64)
Multitimbral: 16 parts
Note-assign: dynamic voice allocation
Filters: time-variant; 1 per generator; 12 or 24 dB/octave LPF,
12 dB/octave BPF or HPF. Adjustable resonance.
LFO: 1 per generator
Envelopes: volume enveloppe, pitch enveloppe,
6 segs for the filter envelope (acts +/- on cutoff freq)
no pan-enveloppe (effects are used instead in presets)
Drum-sounds: 4 sets in RAM (TG: 4 sets in ROM, 2 sets in RAM)

Effects: 2 stereo programmable dual DSP units; 90 programs per unit

SEQUENCER: (SY85 only)
Tracks: 9 (8 normal + 1 rhythm)
Songs: 10 songs, non-volatile, chainable
Simult-notes: 30
Capacity: Approx. 20 000 notes, Yamaha dixit.
Modes: Real-time, step, punch-in; can record from MIDI-in;
records only one track and one channel at a time;
Resolution: 1/48 of a quarter using internal clock, 1/24 of a quarter
using external MIDI clock.
Patterns: 100 RAM drums patterns
Comments: microscopic editing;
can import and export up to 8-track midifiles;
all sequencer memory is cleared when using MIDI
Data Recorder (MDR) functions.

Audio-outputs: 2 stereo (TG: 1 stereo + 4 individual), phones
Ext-storage: RAM voice cards: MCD64 (64 KB) (TG: 2 RAM cards);
sysex; 3.5" DD, MSDOS-compatible drive (TG500: no);
MIDI Sample Dump for sample reception and transmission;
samples from waveform cards can be transferred to internal
RAM, but will be probably appear as "copyrighted."
Card-slots: 1 for parameter data, 1 for waveforms. (TG: 2 of each)
MIDI-support: complete as far as sysexes are concerned.
Display: 40-character x 2-line LCD backlighted (TG: 24 x 2)
27 LEDS, some two-color (TG: 2)
Int-controls: keyboard, wheels: pitch (7 bit), programmable modulation,
volume x 2,
8 control sliders can control sound parameters
in real time; first 4 also send CS1 - CS4 midi
messages (control change 16 to 19)
Ext-controls: Foot controller, Sustain switch, Volume pedal,
MIDI in/out/thru

VARIOUS:
Weight: SY: 14 kg; TG: ???
Dimensions: SY: 102.4 x 36.7 x 11.9 cm; TG: 1U
Accessories: In Europe, 3 manual sets (French, German, English):
"Getting started" and "Feature Reference";
a "Job card"; "MIDI data format" documentation;
1 green "factory-set" and 1 orange "demonstration" diskettes.
Contrarily to some flyers, no MCD64 card is provided.
Back-door: Press "SHIFT", then "STORE", then "EXIT/NO".
Some screen use "+1" and "-1" keys to say yes or no.
Comments: Pretty impressive presets (all are erasable on the SY),
good effects, including a rotating speaker and Aural Exciter.
No master controller possibilities, sends on one channel only;

From: 1loe...@rzdspc2.informatik.uni-hamburg.de (Dietrich Loebner)

GENERAL:
Producer: Yamaha
Model: SY99
Release-date: 1991, 2nd quarter
Street-price: Germany: 5000DM
Used-price: Germany: 4000DM

ARCHITECTURE:
Synthesis-type: RCM: Realtime Convolution and Modulation - a
combination of AFM and AWM2
AWM2: Advanced Waveform Memory 2 - sampling part,
two digital realtime-filters
AFM: Advanced Frequency Modulation - 6 operators,
45 algorithms (with editor-software also an
absolut free one), 3 free feedback operators
per algorithm, 16 waveforms selectable per
operator, 2 inputs per operator, FM-modulation
by an AWM-output possible
Voice-arch: A voice is a composition of 1, 2 or 4 AFM- or
AWM2-elements, a combination 1AFM&1AWM or 2AFM&2AWM or
a drum set. You could give each element (drum set mode
is different) its own volume, detune, note shift,
note limit, velocity limit, dynamic pan, outgroup
selection and the whole voice a volume, a random
pitch depth, portamento (only affecting AFM elements),
effects, microtuning and a controller setup.
Sample-res: Up to 16 bits (but you can also use 12 bit samples
from the TX16W-sampler for example), up to 50kHz;
the SY99 works internally with 24bit, the DACs with
22bit
Sample-memory: 8MB ROM with 267 waveforms (several multisamples)
sampled with an Akai S1000 (16 bit, 48 or 32 kHz)
512kB RAM, up to 3MB with external Yamaha modules and
up to 8MB with an internal 5MB board from Musitronics
(distributed by TSI GmbH, Neustr. 9-12,
D-53498 Waldorf, Tel: +49 2636 7001,
Fax: +49 2636 7935), all sample-RAM is battery
backuped
Keyboard: 76 keys, velocity sensitive, special channel
aftertouch called "zone-aftertouch":
you can specify, if all notes are affected, or only
the highest, the lowest, notes upside or downside of a
split point
Voices: 128 ROM-presets, 64 in RAM and 64 on an optional ROM-
or RAM-cardridge
Performances: On the SY99 there is no difference between a
performance and a voice
Multis: 16 ROM-presets, 16 RAM-slots
Polyphony: 16 with the AFM tone generator and 16 with the AWM2
one; with a splitted keyboard (one side AFM the other
AWM2) you can use 32 different notes at once
Multitimbral: 16
Note-assign: Dynamic Voice Allocation (DVA), priority for the last
note
Filters: 2 dynamic digital filters per element; 1 LPF/HPF
(12dB/oct) and 1 LPF (12dB/oct), both with an EG and a
resonance parameter
LFO: 1 for an AWM2- and 2 (main and sub) for an
AFM-element; 6 waves: triangle, saw down, saw up,
square, sine, sample&hold
Envelopes: 6 segs for each of 6 AFM operators;
5 segs for an AWM2-element;
5 segs pitch-EG for every element;
6 segs on each of 2 filters (cutoff);
5 segments on volume and pan
Drum-sounds: 3 sets (ROM), 70 waveforms, the presets are not GM but
you can configure your own GM-drumsetup.

Effects: 2 independent SPX900 units with 63 effects and up to
4 effects at the same time. Two free assignable
parameters could be controlled in real time.

SEQUENCER:
Tracks: 15 normal + 1 pattern track
Songs: 10 songs, chainable
Simult-notes: 32
Capacity: approx. 27 000 notes
Modes: Realtime, step, punch-in
Resolution: 96 points per quarter note with internal sync
24 ppq with MIDI-sync
Patterns: 99 patterns of any kind with a maximum of 32 masures
per pattern

Audio-outputs: 2 stereo, phones
Ext-storage: Internal 720kB disk drive (MsDos compatible), several
MIDI dumps
Card-slots: One for voice-data, one for waveforms
MIDI-support: Very complete in my opinion
Display: 240 x 64 dots, 40 x 8 chars, graphical, backlighted,
11 red and 21 red/green LEDs
Int-controls: keyboard, pitch-, modulation1- and modulation2-wheel,
data-entry-slider, volume x 2
Ext-controller: Sustain- and another foot switch, foot volume and
another footcontroller, breathcontroller,
MIDI in/out/through

VARIOUS:
Weight: 19.6kg
Dimensions: 125.4 x 40.7 x 12.0 cm
Accessories: Three manuals (german, english, french, > 300 pages),
a MIDI-implementation-guide, two demodisks with songs
and voices
Back-door: Press voice and hold it, then bank D, then voice no. 8
and you'll be in the testmode
Comments: Positive:
- Masterkeyboard functionality
- MIDI-data-recorder (MDR) built in
- excellent effect section with aural exciter,
rotary speaker etc.
- though the SY99 is a very complex synthesizer the
handling is good (especially that of the sequencer
unit)
Negative:
- Not a HD-floppydrive
- No SCSI-interface
- No digital SPDIF-output (AES/EBU seems to be
available as an option)
-> a very impressive and complete board - especially
for people who don't have the money for a complete
sampler, masterkeyboard etc. system

GENERAL: (if you want to add one...)
Producer: Instrument's producer: Yamaha, Kurzweil, etc.
Model: Model identifier: SY77, SY99, etc. Please also indicate
the rack version identifier, even if its characteristics
differ from the keyboard version.
Release-date: year, month, the show during which the machine has
been introduced.
Streat-price:
Used-price:
$_Id: sy-templ 1.1 93/01/24 12:57:10 ROOT_DOS Exp $

ARCHITECTURE:
Synthesis-type: additive (from overtones), substractive, FM, AWM,
sample replay, etc
Voice-arch: Voice architecture, as long as necessary.
Sample-res: 8, 12, 16 bits
Sample-memory: XXX kilo or megabytes
Keyboard: key number, velocity sensitiveness, after-touch type
Voices: "simple" waveforms
Performances: several waveforms at once
Multis: different voices or performances on every MIDI channel
Polyphony: How many different-pitch notes can be played at once?
Multitimbral: How many different sounds can be played at once?
Note-assign: How are available voices mapped to parts?
Filters: what types are available, how many per generator
LFO: idem
Envelopes: volume, pitch, modulation, pan, etc.
Drum-sounds: yes/no, programmability, GM compatibility, usual MIDI channel

Effects: how many independent, what kind of routings and programs
are available

SEQUENCER:
Tracks: How many?
Songs: How many? Chainable?
Simult-notes: How many simultaneous notes can be played?
Capacity: in notes, or events
Modes: how can the sequencer be used? Record modes?
Resolution: 48, 96 points per quarter note, etc.
Patterns: if any, and what kind

Audio-outputs: number, type
Ext-storage: External storage means: sysex, sample and/or voice ROM cards,
RAM cards, diskettes, hard-disks, SCSI, network, etc.
Card-slots: what kinds are available
MIDI-support: general quality
Display: resolution, graphical or not, backlighted or not, etc.
Int-controls: What controllers are built-in?
Ext-controller: What controllers can be connected to the instrument?
What MIDI plugs does it have?

VARIOUS:
Weight: in kilogrammes
Dimensions: in centimeters and/or vertical rack units
Accessories: provides ones: cables, diskettes, manuals, cards, ...
Back-door: How to enter diagnostic/engineering screens, obtain
the version of the internal synth/sequencer software, etc.
Comments: Positive and negative comments

From: jen...@qcj.icon.com (Quinn Jensen)

[ This is from above, what machines is the SY list about ? ]
> SY 22: 16 voice 12bit sample + 4-op FM vector keyboard
> TG 33: 32 voice 12bit sample + 4-op FM vector module
> (2 SY22 in a module)
> SY 35: 16 voice 16bit sample + 4-op FM vector keyboard
> (SY22 successor)

I have not seen any concrete documentation that states how many operators
are used in the FM in these machines. They allow you to adjust a single
modulator and feedback level which implies 2-op. I suppose that could also
apply to 4-op but it's a moot point anyway since you can't edit most of
FM parameters.

The SY-35 is still AWM. Is AWM anything but 12 bits? "The SY-35 AWM system
is particularly effective thanks to an extended waveform ROM that allows
longer samples and therefore superior sound." (From the sales literature)
I read "longer" to mean longer in duration, not longer in word length.
Besides, they always make a big deal out of AWM2 being 16 bits.

## Experiences

# AWM->AFM Modulation Techniques
--------------------------------
From: idea...@dorsai.com (Jeff Harrington)

I've recently been experimenting with the use of "excessive" filtering
with a large resonance factor in the AWM input. This creates a shifting
modulator (AWM) which gives a great deal of momentum/activity to the
resulting waveform. Band filters with a slow sloping up and down EG
work well in this regard.

# Strange things with samples on the SY-99
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

I experimented a bit with the SY99 sample engine (using Avalon, a sample
processing software for the ST), and found out, that the 99 can only use
the start/attack phase and the loop phase of samples, it never (?) plays
any samples behind the loop phase, like one would expect.

Another strange thing is that if you use a very short low tuned sample
and play a high note, the sample engine does miss the loop end and starts
to play back the whole internal sample memory (including all the ROM
waves). Besides the fact that this is obviously a bug, its nice hearing
the ROM in fast forward mode ...

# Pipe organs for the SY85/TG-500
---------------------------------
From: "dr. funk" <p...@nova.scr.siemens.com>

I`ve also tried playing with the EQ on pipe organ sounds. The
best I can do is to knock the sharp edge (high end freqencies)
off the top. Based on my past experience with synths and such,
that`s about the best EQ can do. EQ never seems to alter the
basic timbre of a sound. (Over the last N years, I`ve tried to
compensate for "cheap instrument sounds" via EQ without success.)
I believe that the basic timbre must be there at the beginning.

I managed to program one satisfactory sound in performance mode
using a mixture of strings, reeds (oboe and bassoon) and a little
pipe. I remember using both layers and splits as I did not care
for the sound of the oboe "in the left hand" below middle C.
The lower part of the keyboard has more string and no oboe;
the upper part which has more oboe and less string. Thus, I get
a good split which allows my left hand to play a foundation while
soloing with the right.

From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

1. voice coupling:
by coupling different voices, you get organ feel with most (?) waveforms,
the usual organ series is like 16",8",5 3/4", 4", ... which translates
to semitone note shift of -12, 0, 7, 12, 19, ...
Of course this can be easily done with FM synths (parallel carriers),
while on sample based machines it will eat up polyphony.
Did you try to use simple waveforms like triangle ? (I'll try myself
tonight.)
2. changing/switching timbre:
on an acoustical organ this would be more like switching, therefore
using a footswitch is a nice idea.

Possibilities include changing the cutoff frequency of the filter
(this one is nice with a foot pedal or slider) and changing the attack time
(this is not possible on the SY99 but maybe the SY85 and definitely the
DX7 !!!). A slow attack time, especially for the lower octave of the sound
- will give the feeling of big pipes in a big room. One can also try to
edit/control the reverb parameters accordingly: a long early reflection
time will do the job.

I also tried (with only mediocre success) to switch the footage (? Fusslage
in German) by using the LFO with frequency 0 and square waveform plus
the footswitch (CC #65) to control pitch mod sensivity. By finetuning
the pitch sens and mod sens parameters of one element/voice you can
therefore switch between a 8" and a 4" pipe. However it sounds better
in theory than in my actual patch.

# Funny reset
-------------
From: HTOY...@ntcclu.ntc.nokia.com (Hannu Toyryla, tel. +358-0-5118366, fax. +358-0-5118400)

By the way, has anybody experienced SY77 making a reset on it's own ?
When I had had mine only for a week or so, when I was in the middle
of something, the SY77 suddently showed a picture and a text "Sorry
we have to show you that initial screen again..." (quoting from
memory =my own :-). Then it went on to show the screen you get
on power up. I think this happened once or twice during that evening.
Because this hasn't happened since, I regard it a funny curiosity.
It might be that the was something funny about my midi setup that
was creating the problem. I also had timing problems with multi-
track sequences with drum tracks (or so it sounded), that has disappeared
too.

# Playing General MIDI files on the SYs
---------------------------------------
From: Ulrich Zukowski <zuko...@wagner.fmi.uni-passau.de>

Possible Solutions to play general MIDI files on the TG500:

Program-Change Mode normal/direct:
In Multi-mode program changes are received and switch the sound of
their channel to the patch number in the actual sound bank.

This would be ok, but each bank has only 64 programs, so the GM-
Specification cannot be satisfied, even if I copy all needed sounds to
a free bank.

Program-Change Mode PC-table:
When a program change is received in multi-mode, not the actual
channel is switched to the needed sound, but the TG500 leaves
the multi-mode and switches to voice or performance mode
according to the entry in the pc-table.

What I need is, that the TG500 stays in multi-mode and switches
the instrument of one channel to the sound, which is stored in the
PC-table entry with the number of the received program change.

From: sm...@sosi.com (Stephen Muth)

SY-85... same crap. You can program it to SEND channel
change signals via a translation table.... but not to
RECEIVE program changes through a translation table...
at least not in multi mode.

The only thing I can think of is to write some kind of GM file
transformer that would detect program changes and replace them
appropriately. (on a PC or whatever) What fun, huh?

From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

You need TAKE_500. This has a GM setup for Performances and Voices
contained on the disk (or at least the one in my dealers did), plus there
was also a Multi with the correct effects and choice of instrument.

All the factory voices are rearranged so that there is one bank of 8
pianos, another of 8 basses, etc., as per the GM spec you posted. It is
also possible to gain access to more than 64 patches by sending a bank
change message. For the TG500 I saw, all the sounds were assigned as
Performances rather than Voices and they were arranged thus: Perf Int I
A1-H8 = 1-64, Perf Int II A1-H8 = 65-128. However, GM Drums was not located
in a Performance but Voice Int I H8 as might be expected.

From: Ulrich Zukowski <zuko...@wagner.fmi.uni-passau.de>

That won't work, because the TG500 has only one internal
performance bank (64 programs) !!!! The other two are ROM-Presets.

And it has only two internal voice banks with 63 programs,
respectively. That makes 126 internal voices, but GM requires 128 !!!

Asking,

Uli

From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

Yamaha-Kemble UK sent me a GM-compatible disk on request that has been
professionally produced (i.e. it has a product code) which rearranges all
the Internal Voices, plus adds some new ones, and transfers them to
Performances that are GM-compatible. It also sets up two Multis, one for
plain sequencing (i.e. playback of MIDI files from the 85's sequencer) and
another for external sequencing so that you can play along (this is a bit
fuzzy because I'm doing it from memory). It also sets up the effects so
that they conform to GM-std--I think it's somekind of reverb.

It does state that insertion of MIDI controls is necessary in some MIDI
files to make the switch from Int I to II Perfs but it explains that. It
also says that a small amount of tinkering may be required for the
sequences.

From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

Well, I stand corrected. I contacted tech support at Yamaha UK and they
said that no satisfactory solution to GM has been created for the TG500,
only for the SY85. I'll look into how my dealer arranged it...

For those interested in the SY85, the file that may or may not be
distributed is called "GM-friendly voice disk" from Yamaha European Music
Software (code OM 23308 or EMS SY86001) (P) and (C) 1993 Omnibus Records &
Tapes (MCPS). Also it states that "All rights of the record producer [!!!]
and the owner of the works recorded reserved. Copying, public performances
and broadcasting of this recording prohibited."

From: sm...@sosi.com (Stephen Muth)

> The sy-85 does receive midi info in song mode. I was able to
> use the sequencer of a vfx-sd(24 tracks) to drive my sy-85 in song mode.
> In song mode each multi mode(1-16) receives on the corresponding midi channel.
> Greg

Yup. That's A-OK.. no problems there. I use a sequencer (PowerTracks Pro)
on my SY-85 and receive note events... I do have some problems however.

The issue here is one of general MIDI compatibility. Let's say I
have my SY-85 crammed full of voices, in my own arrangement of
banks... the machine is organized just as I like.

Now I receive a general MIDI file - replete with general MIDI voice
change messages. I wish these files to play on my SY-85 w/o problems.
The easiest solution would be to use the built-in translation table to
detect for program change messages, assume they are general MIDI, and
generate the appropriate SY-85 BANK AND VOICE CHANGE messages so that
corresponding voices are automatically selected within the SY-85.

I was saying that, to my knowledge, no translation table for INCOMING
messages exists. Only the table for OUTGOING messages. Which is STUPID.

I see MUCH less need for someone to be able to select a grand piano
voice in the SY and have it select a piano sound on their soundblaster...
but actually, I can think of all sorts of reasons why this is built in.

For instance, one could select a piano and always want this action to
automatically tell one's favorite tone generator to select an acoustic
bass.... still I see much less need for this than for a translation
of INCOMING messages.

Maybe I should stop believing my manual and spend hours experimenting
to try to get these incoming translations to work.... but my documentation
tells me that the "table" translation mode works for outgoing signals,
while the incoming signals are treated as if in "direct" mode.

Which brings me to another quickie.... sorry for the length of this...

I have never been able to get PowerTracks Pro to select voices on the
SY-85. It has a limited capability for sending bank change messages -
but it is irrelevant to the SY-85... wrong format. I use the format
found in the manual, and put these midi events in my midi file and
here's what happens:

The banks and voices change properly - but NO SOUND. I stop the
sequence, and hear a PING of a chord... wherever the sequence file was
when I stopped it. I hit play again, and voila! - the synth plays.

Same thing happens if I use the internal sequencer, rather than the
computer. It really bugs the crap out of me. I must be using the
correct sequence of messages and it isn't a timing problem (because
I've experimented and allowed for LOTS of time between messages).
The voices change properly, but something about the act of sending
bank OR program change messages causes my machine to refuse to play
until the sequencer (external or internal) is STOPPED, then started.

Maybe someone can enlighten me. (please give to the Stephen Muth
enlightenment fund, so I can stop having to feel like a pathetic
little dweeb)

SQM

From: " (Matthew G Overton)" <m.g.o...@aston.ac.uk>

It's a 800K floppy disk that loads directly into the SY85's disk drive. It
comes in a CD case with a short manual in English and French...

I received my disk direct on application to Yamaha UK. I have no idea
whether Yamaha European Music Software is at the same address or who they
are.

Their address:

Yamaha-Kemble Music (U.K.) Ltd.
Sherbourne Drive
Tilbrook
Milton Keynes
MK7 8BL
United Kingdom.

Fax +44 (0)908 368872.

Hi-tech software support person is Peter Peck.

# Controlling portamento-time via MIDI CC #5
From: he...@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Herbert Janssen)

In the MIDI manual CC #5 is documented to control
portamento time while in the MIDI implementation chart,
it is not referenced.
However I'm quite shure that it is *NOT* implemented this way,
since I not only tried to control it via CC #5 in various ways
(fingered, full time etc) which did not work, but I tried to
control it via CC #5 mapped in an extrenal sequencer to the
appropriate SysEx String: and voila, it worked without problems.

BTW, I'm currently trying to get weird things out of my SY by
controlling usually "uncontrollable" sound parameters (LFO speed,
resonance, feedback) via Cubase using SysEx.
Therefore I wrote a rudimentary editor for the SY99 in the Cubase
MIXER page. Since the MIXER page is limited to 127 objects and some
of the SYs parameter codings (s/m) are not implementable in Cubase
it really has only some of the basic parameters, but if anybody is
interested I'll put the file on our ftp server.

gcw...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2014, 3:26:00 AM4/28/14
> away from all my notes on this stuff.... after this, SO...

Can somebody give an overview and step by step procedure for loading bulk sysex (or MIDI?) data to the SY85? I have spent all day today without any luck. I have scoured the net and Yamaha manuals, but I constantly get disk error messages.