Cleaning an Alesis QS8 keyboard - Yellow keys, dead keys

Jeff Pynnonen

Mar 15, 2004, 7:56:02 PM3/15/04
My son has a QS8 keyboard with 2 dead keys. I am planning on opening
the keyboard unit and trying to clean / fix the 2 keys. Any tips?
Also, I have noticed that the keys have yellowed quite a bit. Probably
from being exposed to sunlight thru the window. Any tips on how to
bring back the whiteness of the keys? I thought that bleach might do it,
but no effect. Or maybe I am simply out of luck. Thats what a keyboard
cover was suppose to do - protect it from sunlight (and dust). And if
you don't use a keyboard cover, tough, you get yellow keys.
And you live with them that way.

Dave H.

Mar 15, 2004, 8:52:31 PM3/15/04

Jeff Pynnonen wrote

HI Jeff,
If you're lucky, the dead keys will just be dirt build-up on the
contacts - I'm not aware whether the Alesis uses spring-wire contacts, in
which case just clean the wires with solvent-of-choice, or conductive rubber
mats, in which case isopropyl alcohol is safest, a lot of aggressive
solvents will attack the rubber. I've had *some* success with yellowed
plastics by cleaning them with an abrasive cleaner (e.g. kitchen cream
cleaner like Cif) and polishing up - YMMV, but the yellowing's usually a
surface layer - the UV light doesn't penetrate far.

Hope that helps,
Dave H.
(THe engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Lasse

Apr 2, 2004, 9:08:45 AM4/2/04
Watch out! QS8 properbly doesn´t have the same keys as the QS7 (which is
only semi-weighted) but I accidently broke some little tip on the key and
now the key is a bit lower(physically) than the others keys

"Jeff Pynnonen" <je...@pynnonen.org> wrote in message

james19...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2018, 6:50:50 AM12/23/18
You can remove yellowing by mixing toothpaste and peroxide and applying to the white keys. I would avoid contact with the black ones? The process can be sped up by exposure to uv rays. (Sunlight) the toothpaste just helps hold the peroxide in place. Time required varies dependent upon your mixture,degree of yellowing, and amount of sunlight exposure once applied.

Jockey Shift

Jul 10, 2021, 8:09:46 PMJul 10
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 6:50:50 AM UTC-5, james19...@gmail.com wrote:
> You can remove yellowing by mixing toothpaste and peroxide and applying to the white keys. I would avoid contact with the black ones? The process can be sped up by exposure to uv rays. (Sunlight) the toothpaste just helps hold the peroxide in place. Time required varies dependent upon your mixture,degree of yellowing, and amount of sunlight exposure once applied.
I know this is years past, but i just scored 2 qs 8's both with yellow keys and wanted to know if this concoction worked.... I'm not afraid of pulling all the keys, I have done total refits of rhodes and survived takin care of the red death glue on a roland VK7. Somebody step in and confirm thanks