Sixties Synthesizer Songs

Todd Clark

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
On another thread, the discussion turned to what were the early uses of
various synthesizers in rock and pop music. Here then is a summary of
that discussion, with some additions on my part:

Song: Runaway (Del Shannon, 1961)
Synthesizer: Musitron (Max Crook)

Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)

Song: No Time Like The Right Time (Blues Project, 1967)
Synthesizer: Ondioline (Al Kooper)

Song: C.T.A.-102 (Byrds, 1967)
Synthesizer: Theremin & Oscillators (Roger McGuinn)

Song: Brown Shoes Don't Make It (Mothers Of Invention, 1967)
Synthesizer: Oscillators (Don Preston)

Song: Daily Nightly (Monkees, 1967)
Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Micky Dolenz)

Song: Strange Days (Doors, 1967)
Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Jim Morrison)

Song: Star Collector (Monkees, 1967)
Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Paul Beaver)

Anyone care to add to this song list ?

Eventually, there were whole rock groups built around synthesizers:

Fifty Foot Hose
Joe Byrd And The Field Hippies
Lothar And The Hand People
Silver Apples
United States Of America

I would also like to initiate a discussion on how the electronic sounds
on the three Jimi Hendrix Experience studio albums were achieved...

--
Todd Tamanend Clark
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist

Autonomous American Indian Movement of Pennsylvania

West Virginia Native American Coalition
http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/wvnamco

http://www.annihilist.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_all

http://www.guitargeek.com/layouts/display.php3?id=236

"I can see a lone artist with a lot of tapes and an extension
of the Moog synthesizer, a keyboard with the complexity and
richness of a full orchestra."
-- Jim Morrison, 1969

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

hig...@my-deja.com

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
Song: Space Oddity (David Bowie 1968?)
Synth: Stylaphone, Rick Wakeman - Mellotron (does that count?)

The Beatles Abby Road 1969 - Moog
Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Because, Etc.

In article <8jpfu6$2og$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Magic....Total Magic.

Peter L.

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
Classic synth song of the 60-ties:

Lucky Man
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - 1969

Keith Emerson on a custom made Moog Modular (detuned sawtooth monolead with
great pitch bending).

See also Top 10 of Best Synth Soloes Ever at http://switch.to/synthesizers

analo...@my-deja.com

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
In article <8jq8lh$1j6$1...@enterprise.cistron.net>,

Not to split hairs or anything, but didn't that album and that song come
out in 1970?

Emerson cringes every time this is brought up - I went to see him in a
panel discussion at the Smithsonion (it was a panel discussion about
synthesizers and technology, and the impact on music).

He talked about it a bit in that he said he was just wanking off and
they recorded it. He said, "I told them, oh I think I've got something
now, let's try again", and they told him "oh no that's it, there aren't
any more tracks, that's perfect".

He said he REALLY wanted to try a few more takes, he wasn't happy with
what he did at all, but they wouldn't let him try again.

Emerson looked really embarrased when they played the cut, making faces
as the portamento thing was going on.

I agree that when you think "moog synthesizer" you think of that song,
although I'm sure Emerson would rather you think of another ELP tune.

I don't know, maybe they actually "recorded" Lucky Man in 1969, but I'm
pretty sure it was released in 1970.

Analogeezer

p.s. Bob Moog was also on the panel, at the end, they wheeled out a
minimoog, and Emerson played the ostinato from Tarkus, while Bob Moog
made various weird sounds on a Theremin.

That was a lot of fun, if somewhat silly - I was kind of in awe to be in
the same room with those two guys....

mg...@earthlink.net

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
In article <8jq8lh$1j6$1...@enterprise.cistron.net>, "Peter L."
<plang...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Classic synth song of the 60-ties:
>
> Lucky Man
> Emerson, Lake and Palmer - 1969
>
> Keith Emerson on a custom made Moog Modular (detuned sawtooth monolead with
> great pitch bending).
>
> See also Top 10 of Best Synth Soloes Ever at http://switch.to/synthesizers

Wrong decade.

--
"...nothing is real."

mg...@earthlink.net

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
In article <8jpfu6$2og$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Todd Clark
<tama...@helicon.net> wrote:

> On another thread, the discussion turned to what were the early uses of
> various synthesizers in rock and pop music. Here then is a summary of
> that discussion, with some additions on my part:
>

> Song: Daily Nightly (Monkees, 1967)
> Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Micky Dolenz)

You sure Mickey played it? I know he owned one for a while (sold it to
Bobby Sherman!!!) And it was Mickey sitting in the dashiki in the little
"video" of the song in front of the system.

> Anyone care to add to this song list ?

What about "Baby You're a Rich Man?" I forgot the name of the instrument,
but I know Lennon played it.

And then there's all those tunes on Abbey Road using Harrison's IIIP.
Usually played by the writer of the song:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Ocotpus's Garden
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Something

> Eventually, there were whole rock groups built around synthesizers:
>
> Fifty Foot Hose
> Joe Byrd And The Field Hippies
> Lothar And The Hand People
> Silver Apples
> United States Of America

LOTHAR was a Theremin (not a human). And the U.S. of A (led by Joe Byrd)
used something called a Durret synth, and ring modulators.

DS

--
"...nothing is real."

Smedley

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
The Rolling Stone's "2000 Light Years From Home" used a modular Moog. I
read someplace that one of Bob Moog's people spent a couple weeks with
Mick to teach him how to use it. The Stones, of course, stuck to being a
guitar band and decided to sell their Moog. It was then bought by Edgar
Froese from Tangerine Dream, and the rest is history.

Todd Clark wrote:

> On another thread, the discussion turned to what were the early uses of
> various synthesizers in rock and pop music. Here then is a summary of
> that discussion, with some additions on my part:
>

> Song: Runaway (Del Shannon, 1961)
> Synthesizer: Musitron (Max Crook)
>
> Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
> Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)
>
> Song: No Time Like The Right Time (Blues Project, 1967)
> Synthesizer: Ondioline (Al Kooper)
>
> Song: C.T.A.-102 (Byrds, 1967)
> Synthesizer: Theremin & Oscillators (Roger McGuinn)
>
> Song: Brown Shoes Don't Make It (Mothers Of Invention, 1967)
> Synthesizer: Oscillators (Don Preston)
>

> Song: Daily Nightly (Monkees, 1967)
> Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Micky Dolenz)
>

> Song: Strange Days (Doors, 1967)
> Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Jim Morrison)
>

> Song: Star Collector (Monkees, 1967)
> Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Paul Beaver)

> Anyone care to add to this song list ?
>

> Eventually, there were whole rock groups built around synthesizers:
>
> Fifty Foot Hose
> Joe Byrd And The Field Hippies
> Lothar And The Hand People
> Silver Apples
> United States Of America
>

> I would also like to initiate a discussion on how the electronic sounds
> on the three Jimi Hendrix Experience studio albums were achieved...
>

> --
> Todd Tamanend Clark
> Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist
>
> Autonomous American Indian Movement of Pennsylvania
>
> West Virginia Native American Coalition
> http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/wvnamco
>
> http://www.annihilist.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_all
>
> http://www.guitargeek.com/layouts/display.php3?id=236
>
> "I can see a lone artist with a lot of tapes and an extension
> of the Moog synthesizer, a keyboard with the complexity and
> richness of a full orchestra."
> -- Jim Morrison, 1969

Harvey Gerst

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
mg...@earthlink.net wrote:

>LOTHAR was a Theremin (not a human). And the U.S. of A (led by Joe Byrd)
>used something called a Durret synth, and ring modulators.
>
>DS

I think a lotta the stuff Joe Byrd used were prototypes made by Tom
Oberheim. I seem to remember him hanging around the U.S. of A. a lot.
Great group - I loved Dorothy's voice.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

Todd Clark

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
In article <mgod-03070...@pool0660.cvx23-
bradley.dialup.earthlink.net wrote:

> > Todd Clark wrote:
> >
> > On another thread, the discussion turned to what were the
> > early uses of various synthesizers in rock and pop music.
> > Here then is a summary of that discussion, with some
> > additions on my part:
> >

> > Song: Daily Nightly (Monkees, 1967)
> > Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Micky Dolenz)
>

> You sure Mickey played it?

Yes. We already researched this on the other thread, and in the liner
notes to the album it appears on (Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones,
Ltd.), Peter Tork describes these sessions and explains why he prefers
the electronic sound sculpture approach that Dolenz takes on "Daily
Nightly" to Paul Beaver's more imitative of conventional Eurocentric
orchestral instruments on "Star Collector".

> I know he owned one for a while (sold it to Bobby Sherman!!!)

Indeed, he did.

> And it was Mickey sitting in the dashiki in the little "video"
> of the song in front of the system.

That video changed my life.

Sonic VI

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
>Song: C.T.A.-102 (Byrds, 1967)
>Synthesizer: Theremin & Oscillators (Roger McGuinn)

Roger also did "Moog Raga" which was released on the reissue of "Notorious Byrd
Bros." from '67, and also "Fiddler A Dram" from the reissue of Ballad of Easy
Rider from '69.

>Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
>Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)

Also used on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" from Pet Sounds '66.
According to The Pet Sounds Sessions box set book it was played by Paul Tanner
on both tracks.

Daniel.

Ed & Cori

Jul 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/3/00
Todd Clark wrote:

> > > Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
> > > Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)
> >
> > Also used on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" from Pet
> > Sounds '66. According to The Pet Sounds Sessions box set book,

> > it was played by Paul Tanner on both tracks.
>
> But was it what is considered an actual theremin, or was it some
> other theremin-sounding synthesizer ? (I've heard both reports.)

> --
> Todd Tamanend Clark
> Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist

I could swear that this was done on another instrument...

I knew I had a link here somewhere.

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/4611/PTE-TPage.html

The thing is Theremin-like. Almost more like the Solo-ette (or whatever
they were called.)

Ed
--
Ed Edelenbos and Cori Rivers
(and the 3 bosses Ursula, Beatrix, and Rufus.)

Tetraplan

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00

>Not to split hairs or anything, but didn't that album and that song come
>out in 1970?

That would still be in the sixties then ;-)

email: dwaes(at)dds(dot)nl

ICQ 66463663

Brought to you by M&M enterprises
"What's good for M&M Enterprises, is good for the World"

>Emerson cringes every time this is brought up - I went to see him in a
>panel discussion at the Smithsonion (it was a panel discussion about
>synthesizers and technology, and the impact on music).
>
>He talked about it a bit in that he said he was just wanking off and
>they recorded it. He said, "I told them, oh I think I've got something
>now, let's try again", and they told him "oh no that's it, there aren't
>any more tracks, that's perfect".
>
>He said he REALLY wanted to try a few more takes, he wasn't happy with
>what he did at all, but they wouldn't let him try again.
>
>Emerson looked really embarrased when they played the cut, making faces
>as the portamento thing was going on.
>
>I agree that when you think "moog synthesizer" you think of that song,
>although I'm sure Emerson would rather you think of another ELP tune.
>
>I don't know, maybe they actually "recorded" Lucky Man in 1969, but I'm
>pretty sure it was released in 1970.
>
>Analogeezer
>
>p.s. Bob Moog was also on the panel, at the end, they wheeled out a
>minimoog, and Emerson played the ostinato from Tarkus, while Bob Moog
>made various weird sounds on a Theremin.
>
>That was a lot of fun, if somewhat silly - I was kind of in awe to be in
>the same room with those two guys....

We Are As1

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
Let us not forget "Reflections", from Diana Ross and the Supremes. It had some
freaky-ass bleeps and bloops! I don't know what they used, though.

Todd Clark

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
In article <20000703184507...@ng-fh1.aol.com>,
son...@aol.com (Sonic VI) wrote:

> > Song: C.T.A.-102 (Byrds, 1967)
> > Synthesizer: Theremin & Oscillators (Roger McGuinn)
>
> Roger also did "Moog Raga" which was released on the reissue
> of "Notorious Byrd Bros." from '67, and also "Fiddler A Dram"
> from the reissue of Ballad of Easy Rider from '69.

Were either of these tracks ever released during the 1960's ?

> > Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
> > Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)
>
> Also used on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" from Pet
> Sounds '66. According to The Pet Sounds Sessions box set book,
> it was played by Paul Tanner on both tracks.

But was it what is considered an actual theremin, or was it some
other theremin-sounding synthesizer ? (I've heard both reports.)

--
Todd Tamanend Clark
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist

Autonomous American Indian Movement of Pennsylvania

West Virginia Native American Coalition
http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/wvnamco

http://www.annihilist.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_all

http://www.guitargeek.com/layouts/display.php3?id=236

"I'm interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos,
especially activity that SEEMS to have no meaning."
-- Jim Morrison

SwedeBear

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
Wasn't Switched On Bach by Walter Carlos made in the last 60's or it
maybe was early 70's.

--------------
Best Regards
Anders aka SwedeBear
Global oper on vltmedia.se.galaxynet.org
swed...@dccnet.com
http://www.swedebear.com
BOFH Staff Member
--------------

Todd Clark

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00

> > mgod wrote:
> >
> > LOTHAR was a Theremin (not a human).

True, but didn't the group also use a Moog as well ?

> > And the U.S. of A. (led by Joe Byrd) used something called

> > a Durret synth, and ring modulators.

This synthesizer was played by Joe Byrd; the ring modulator was used on
Gordon Marron's electric violin; and Craig Woodson used an early
prototype of electronic drums.

> Harvey Gerst wrote:
>
> I think a lotta the stuff Joe Byrd used were prototypes made
> by Tom Oberheim. I seem to remember him hanging around the
> U.S. of A. a lot.

This group, for better or for worse, made my music what it is today.

> Great group - I loved Dorothy's voice.

Me, too. It was Jim Morrison, however, who made my vocals what they are
today.

--
Todd Tamanend Clark
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist

Autonomous American Indian Movement of Pennsylvania

West Virginia Native American Coalition
http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/wvnamco

http://www.annihilist.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_all

http://www.guitargeek.com/layouts/display.php3?id=236

"I used to see the universe as a mammoth snake, and I used
to see all the people and objects, landscapes, as little
pictures in the facets of its scales."

Todd Clark

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
Harvey Gerst wrote:

> I think a lotta the stuff Joe Byrd used were prototypes
> made by Tom Oberheim.

Do you or anyone else have a clue as to how Rotary Connection achieved
their electronic sounds ?

--
Todd Tamanend Clark
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist

Autonomous American Indian Movement of Pennsylvania

West Virginia Native American Coalition
http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/wvnamco

http://www.annihilist.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_all

http://www.guitargeek.com/layouts/display.php3?id=236

"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has
no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes."

Wes Taggart

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
Recorded late 1970. Released early (Mar) of 1971.

mg...@earthlink.net wrote:

> In article <8jq8lh$1j6$1...@enterprise.cistron.net>, "Peter L."
> <plang...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Classic synth song of the 60-ties:
> >
> > Lucky Man
> > Emerson, Lake and Palmer - 1969
> >
> > Keith Emerson on a custom made Moog Modular (detuned sawtooth monolead with
> > great pitch bending).
> >
> > See also Top 10 of Best Synth Soloes Ever at http://switch.to/synthesizers

Sonic VI

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
>> Roger also did "Moog Raga" which was released on the reissue
>> of "Notorious Byrd Bros." from '67, and also "Fiddler A Dram"
>> from the reissue of Ballad of Easy Rider from '69.
>
>Were either of these tracks ever released during the 1960's ?

No they were previously unreleased, though they were both recorded in the 60's.

>> Also used on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" from Pet
>> Sounds '66. According to The Pet Sounds Sessions box set book,
>> it was played by Paul Tanner on both tracks.
>
>But was it what is considered an actual theremin, or was it some
>other theremin-sounding synthesizer ? (I've heard both reports.)

I'm not sure. I read an article with Tanner once about what he played. It was
not a synthsizer, but a modified Theremin. It used a wire laid inside a board
that you run your finger along rather than an antenna. The circuitry was more
or less a theremin though. That thing Mike Love was playing on Ed Sullivan when
they did Good Vibrations was possibly that instrument. It's often confused for
a Moog Ribbon Controller. I believe Mike did actually use a Moog later during
the 70's live. You can see him with the ribbon controller on the Concert album
from around '72.

Another Monkees track with synth was "PO Box 9847" from The Birds, The Bees,
and The Monkees 1967. The Rhino reissue cd has an alternate version of it with
much more synth that the original release. The Rhino issue of Pisces, Aquarius,
Capricorn, and Jones Ltd also has alternate versions of "Daily Nightly" without
the synth which is interesting to hear, the synth really added a lot to that
track, and of "Star Collector" with an extended synth solo that's much cooler
than the original release imo.

Daniel.

Ed & Cori

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
Dick Hyman had a couple Moog albums in the 60's. One, "Moog; The
Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman" is a favorite of mine. It has some of
what are considered truly classic synth tunes. Minotaur, Variations in
Odd-Meter, and a few others. This album is worth getting if you can
find it.

Early Gong, Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream (or the early variations of
the K. Schulze bands), some Zappa stuff, etc. had some pretty early
synth stuff. If I weren't so old I could remember some titles.

Tony Evans

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
<tama...@helicon.net> wrote:

>On another thread, the discussion turned to what were the early uses of
>various synthesizers in rock and pop music. Here then is a summary of
>that discussion, with some additions on my part:
>

>Song: Runaway (Del Shannon, 1961)
>Synthesizer: Musitron (Max Crook)
>

>Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
>Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)
>

>Song: No Time Like The Right Time (Blues Project, 1967)
>Synthesizer: Ondioline (Al Kooper)
>

>Song: C.T.A.-102 (Byrds, 1967)
>Synthesizer: Theremin & Oscillators (Roger McGuinn)
>

>Song: Brown Shoes Don't Make It (Mothers Of Invention, 1967)
>Synthesizer: Oscillators (Don Preston)
>

>Song: Daily Nightly (Monkees, 1967)
>Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Micky Dolenz)
>

>Song: Strange Days (Doors, 1967)
>Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Jim Morrison)
>
>Song: Star Collector (Monkees, 1967)
>Synthesizer: Modular Moog (Paul Beaver)
>
>Anyone care to add to this song list ?

Album: Moog: The Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman (1969)
Modular Moog

Album - Electronic Sounds - George Harrison (1969)

Songs - Here Comes the Sun, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Abbey Road - Beatles (1969)

Song - Beautiful Zelda - Bonzo Dog Band (1968)

...and of course the Doctor Who theme song

Tony Evans
Olasongs
ton...@mediaone.net

Busyditch

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00

>Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
>Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)

This is wrong. It's always been a popular belief that a theremin was used on
the original recording. It was actually a similar device called an
electro-theremin, which had a slide-like controller to change the pitch. The
device was developed by a trombone player, and had a similar design as a
theremin. The same deivice was used for sound effects on "My Favorite
Martian" a TV show from the mid-60's. If you listen to the oscillations on
"Good VIbrations", you can hear the pitch change in a steady manner, an
effect that could not be done on a theremin, you could not get your hand to
stop in the exact spot every cycle. Supposedly, the trombone player donated
his electro-theremin to a hospital to test hearing.
busyditch

Kurt Riemann

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
- Album - Electronic Sounds - George Harrison (1969)

Uh, that was actually a tape of Bernie Krause or Paul Beaver demoing
Harrison's Moog in the studio. They were pissed off when it was
released. I think it was pulled. . .

I also firmly believe that the solo on GOOD VIBRATIONS was NOT a
theremin. There is a "Live" video of them miming the song (although
with live vocals) and someone is playing a ribbon controller.

I own both a theremin and a modular Moog. That solo came from a Moog.
The main bit of evidence I hear is the sharp attack on the note.
Theremins only have antenna controlled dynamics and there is not
enough speed in the wrist to make the note just "turn on."

I may be wrong, but does anyone know the name of the person who
supposedly played that theremin?

I think that they just let the rumor go; more people know this little
"fact" than you can shake a cabasa at. I just think they're wrong.

There were a lot of "Me Too" synthesizer crap recordings in the
Sixties.

One more interesting one was "Everything you ever wanted to hear on
the Moog but were afraid to ask for." - a well produced and underrated
Spanish music album. Done by Shepard and Kazdin. I must have listened
to it a hundred times.

Thomas Clement

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
John Barry: Florida Fantasy (with flute, on Midnight Cowboy) and On Her
Majesty's Secret Service Theme. Also the dum,dum,dum,dum ostinato in
Lion in Winter

Dennis Kelley

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
It was called a Tannerin - it's the instrument Mike played onstage with
the BBs all those years, which they always referred to (erroneously) as
a theremin. It can be seen up close on the Ed Sullivan Show performance
of GV.

Ed & Cori wrote:

> > > Also used on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" from Pet
> > > Sounds '66. According to The Pet Sounds Sessions box set book,
> > > it was played by Paul Tanner on both tracks.
> >
> > But was it what is considered an actual theremin, or was it some
> > other theremin-sounding synthesizer ? (I've heard both reports.)
> >

> > --
> > Todd Tamanend Clark
> > Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist
> >

> I could swear that this was done on another instrument...
>
> I knew I had a link here somewhere.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/4611/PTE-TPage.html
>
> The thing is Theremin-like. Almost more like the Solo-ette (or whatever
> they were called.)

Sonic VI

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
Wasn't this thread about 60's pop songs that had synth in them, and not "Moog
Albums"? There are hundreds of those out there that could be mentioned.
BTW, The Dick Hyman Lp is actually available on CD. CDNOW has it. I found my
vinyl copy for a few bucks at a used record shop. Great record.

Daniel.

mg...@earthlink.net

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
In article
<FF22F2D3662AE6DC.C1F5AA27...@lp.airnews.net>,
Harvey Gerst <harg...@airmail.net> wrote:

> mg...@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> >LOTHAR was a Theremin (not a human). And the U.S. of A (led by Joe Byrd)

> >used something called a Durret synth, and ring modulators.
> >

> >DS

> I think a lotta the stuff Joe Byrd used were prototypes made by Tom

> Oberheim. I seem to remember him hanging around the U.S. of A. a lot.

> Great group - I loved Dorothy's voice.
>

> Harvey Gerst

My third record - still have it, along with 5 other copies. The album
notes credit "Richard Durrett, instrument design engineer - creator of the
DURRETT Electronic Music Synthesizer and Ring Modulator"

A lot of the stuff people are listing are way off on the dates.

Carlos' "S.O.B." is 1968, but not songs in any literal sense. Her
"Clockwork Orange" came out well after the movie's release, more like '71
or '72.

Kazdin and Shepherd's "Everything You Wanted to Hear..." is '72.

Tomita's first US release "Snowflakes Are Dancing" is from '74.

"Early Gong, Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream (or the early variations of
the K. Schulze bands), some Zappa stuff, etc. had some pretty early
synth stuff. If I weren't so old I could remember some titles.

Ed"

This is all 70's stuff except for the Zappa. Not that Soft Machine didn't
exist on the 60's but not very electronically. Of course, Elton John's 1st
American release, which came out in '70 but was rexorded in '69, has a lot
of beautiful modular Moog on it.

> >Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
> >Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)
>

> busyditch>Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
>Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)

Nonetheless, according to Mr Wilson himself, he's playing a Theremin. But
you know what "they" say about the 60's.

Larry Fast didn't start putting out solo electronic albums until '75 at
the earliest. And the Moog Cookbook are a very recent phenomenon, part of
their 1st album was done here at my house on my modular a few years ago.
Mysterious, alien fellows...god knows where they disappeared to.

I once spent a very nice day with Bebe Barron, discussing the creation of
the "Forbidden Planet" score. The main thing I rememeber is that she said
the sounds came from these little gizmos that Louis had built, and that
what they mostly got on tape was the sound of these little devices
failing. The LP she gave me was the LOUDEST record I've ever heard.

arnquist

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
The whole Abbey Road-Beatles LP/CD

Here Comes the Sun
Maxwells Silver Hammer
and other as recorded on August 5th and 6th,1969

Mark

Todd Clark <tama...@helicon.net> wrote in message

> In article <20000703184507...@ng-fh1.aol.com>,
> son...@aol.com (Sonic VI) wrote:
>

> > > Song: C.T.A.-102 (Byrds, 1967)
> > > Synthesizer: Theremin & Oscillators (Roger McGuinn)
> >

> > Roger also did "Moog Raga" which was released on the reissue
> > of "Notorious Byrd Bros." from '67, and also "Fiddler A Dram"
> > from the reissue of Ballad of Easy Rider from '69.
>
> Were either of these tracks ever released during the 1960's ?
>

> > > Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
> > > Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)
> >

> > Also used on "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" from Pet
> > Sounds '66. According to The Pet Sounds Sessions box set book,
> > it was played by Paul Tanner on both tracks.
>
> But was it what is considered an actual theremin, or was it some
> other theremin-sounding synthesizer ? (I've heard both reports.)
>
> --
> Todd Tamanend Clark
> Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist
>

> Autonomous American Indian Movement of Pennsylvania
>
> West Virginia Native American Coalition
> http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/wvnamco
>
> http://www.annihilist.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_all
>
> http://www.guitargeek.com/layouts/display.php3?id=236
>

> "I'm interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos,
> especially activity that SEEMS to have no meaning."

Harvey Gerst

Jul 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/4/00
mg...@earthlink.net wrote:
>Harvey Gerst <harg...@airmail.net> wrote:
>> mg...@earthlink.net wrote:
>>
>> >LOTHAR was a Theremin (not a human). And the U.S. of A (led by Joe Byrd)
>> >used something called a Durret synth, and ring modulators.
>> >
>> >DS

>> I think a lotta the stuff Joe Byrd used were prototypes made by Tom
>> Oberheim. I seem to remember him hanging around the U.S. of A. a lot.
>> Great group - I loved Dorothy's voice.
>>
>> Harvey Gerst

>My third record - still have it, along with 5 other copies. The album
>notes credit "Richard Durrett, instrument design engineer - creator of the
>DURRETT Electronic Music Synthesizer and Ring Modulator"

What can I say?? I'm getting old - and you're absolutely right. Now
that you mentioned his full name, I remember it was in fact, Richard
Durrett. The US of A used my Acoustic Control amplifiers, and I would
run sound for them whenever they played the Ash Grove.

As I recall, Dorothy (Moskowitz?) left the group and Joe decided that
it wouldn't be the same without her, so they disbanded. Joe Byrd went
on to do arranging and producing (Ry Cooder and Phil Ochs), and a lot
of session work in jazz, as a bass player. I think Dorothy sang in
another rock band a few years later, but I can't remember who's band
it was, but it was around the same time as Steve Miller.

>I once spent a very nice day with Bebe Barron, discussing the creation of
>the "Forbidden Planet" score. The main thing I rememeber is that she said
>the sounds came from these little gizmos that Louis had built, and that
>what they mostly got on tape was the sound of these little devices
>failing. The LP she gave me was the LOUDEST record I've ever heard.
>
>DS

Still an amazing movie. To see AND to hear.

Todd Clark

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00

> > My third record - still have it, along with 5 other copies.
> > The album notes credit "Richard Durrett, instrument design
> > engineer - creator of the DURRETT Electronic Music
> > Synthesizer and Ring Modulator"
>
> What can I say?? I'm getting old - and you're absolutely right.
> Now that you mentioned his full name, I remember it was in fact,
> Richard Durrett. The US of A used my Acoustic Control
> amplifiers, and I would run sound for them whenever they played
> the Ash Grove.

While their was no guitar player on their album, there was one in the
live band. Do you remember anything of interest about him?

I also was impressed that their lyrics were so complex that they had to
carry lyric sheets on stage as if they were sheet music and that they
had the courage to write in an extremely detailed manner nearly on a
par with William S. Burroughs about socially taboo subject matter.

> As I recall, Dorothy Moskowitz left the group and Joe decided

> that it wouldn't be the same without her, so they disbanded.
> Joe Byrd went on to do arranging and producing (Ry Cooder and
> Phil Ochs), and a lot of session work in jazz, as a bass player.

I never knew that he played bass guitar, but in addition to his "United
States of America" album (1968), I also have "American Metaphysical
Circus" (1969) and "Yankee Transcendoodle" (1976).

> I think Dorothy sang in another rock band a few years later,
> but I can't remember who's band it was, but it was around the
> same time as Steve Miller.

In the 1970's, she played keyboards for Country Joe McDonald on his
solo efforts after The Fish broke up.

> > I once spent a very nice day with Bebe Barron, discussing
> > the creation of the "Forbidden Planet" score. The main

> > thing I remember is that she said the sounds came from

> > these little gizmos that Louis had built, and that what
> > they mostly got on tape was the sound of these little
> > devices failing. The LP she gave me was the LOUDEST record
> > I've ever heard.
>

> Still an amazing movie. To see AND to hear.

I have the DVD on order. I used to watch "Forbidden Planet" in reruns
on Chiller Theater, a local Pittsburgh television show in the 1960's
hosted by Bill Cardille, who later appeared in the original "Night Of
The Living Dead", which was filmed around here.

--
Todd Tamanend Clark
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist

Autonomous American Indian Movement of Pennsylvania

West Virginia Native American Coalition
http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/wvnamco

http://www.annihilist.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_all

http://www.guitargeek.com/layouts/display.php3?id=236

"There are no followers in AIM. We are all leaders.
We are each an army of one, working for the survival
of our people and of the Earth, our mother. This isn't
rhetoric. This is commitment. This is who we are."
-- Leonard Peltier

Todd Clark

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
In article <39620bce...@news.mindspring.com>,
ben_nospa...@mindspring.com wrote:

> > I read in rec.audio.pro where Todd Clark wrote:
> >
> > On another thread, the discussion turned to what were the
> > early uses of various synthesizers in rock and pop music.
>

> Which thread was that? I must have missed it.

Monkees/Hendrix

> > Anyone care to add to this song list ?
>

> The Supremes, "Reflections". As I remember (from hearing it on
> the oldies stations in recent years), it's an oscillator with
> a tape echo. Maybe it was a Moog, or maybe it was just an
> HP 200 audio oscillator with someone keying the output on and
> off while turning the frequency dial.

> > Eventually, there were whole rock groups built around
> > synthesizers:
>

> Synergy [Larry Fast] was (and still is) a popular one-man band,
> probably the most popular of the genre.

His keyboard work with Peter Gabriel is also excellent, but none of his
material, either solo or with Gabriel's band, was released until the
mid to late 1970's and later.

> There's a very recent band named "The Moog Cookbook" -
> I saw their "Ye Olde Space Band" CD in a thrift store and took
> a chance - IT IS A RIOT. You gotta check out this interview:
>
> <http://www.synthmuseum.com/mc/index.html>
>
> There's also this link that gives more early synth artists:
>
> <http://bubblegum.uark.edu/moog_cookbook/inspiration.html>

Very enjoyable reading. Thank you very much.

> > I would also like to initiate a discussion on how the
> > electronic sounds on the three Jimi Hendrix Experience
> > studio albums were achieved...
>

> I don't recall any, can you name a Hendrix song or two with
> 'electronic sounds'?

Third Stone From The Sun
Are You Experienced?
EXP
If Six Was Nine
Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice
And The Gods Made Love

> All I remember is all the sounds one can possibly get from
> a strat, amp, and a couple effects boxes.

You're probably right, there most likely are no actual synthesizers on
these songs, but I would still like to know exactly how those sounds
were created. I suppose it was a combination of early foot pedals,
backwards analog tapes, and some studio trickery.

Sonic VI

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
>> There's a very recent band named "The Moog Cookbook" -
>> I saw their "Ye Olde Space Band" CD in a thrift store and took
>> a chance - IT IS A RIOT. You gotta check out this interview:

Yeah Moog Cookbook! Roger Manning, aka Meco Eno, is one of my keyboard idols.
He's one of the sole reasons I got into synths and keyboards. His previous band
Jellyfish is my very favorite band and were brilliant songwriters and
musicians. He was also in a band called Imperial Drag which has lots of cool
synth and keys, and he now plays keys for Beck. MC also has a self titled CD
that you should also pick up. Roger has just released a soundtrack to a
nonexistant sequel to to the movie Logan's Run called Logan's Sanctuary. It's
very cool, total 70's sci-fi sounding with Minimoogs galore. Check it out at Cd
Now.

Daniel.

mg...@earthlink.net

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
In article
<D5E1A2BB945CDF2F.09D7BEF8...@lp.airnews.net>,
Harvey Gerst <harg...@airmail.net> wrote:

> mg...@earthlink.net wrote:
> >Harvey Gerst <harg...@airmail.net> wrote:

> >> I think a lotta the stuff Joe Byrd used were prototypes made by Tom
> >> Oberheim. I seem to remember him hanging around the U.S. of A. a lot.
> >> Great group - I loved Dorothy's voice.
> >>
> >> Harvey Gerst
>

> >My third record - still have it, along with 5 other copies. The album
> >notes credit "Richard Durrett, instrument design engineer - creator of the
> >DURRETT Electronic Music Synthesizer and Ring Modulator"
>
> What can I say?? I'm getting old - and you're absolutely right. Now
> that you mentioned his full name, I remember it was in fact, Richard
> Durrett. The US of A used my Acoustic Control amplifiers, and I would
> run sound for them whenever they played the Ash Grove.

OMYGAWD!!!

You knew them? I bow before you!!!

Harvey Gerst

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
mg...@earthlink.net wrote:

>Harvey Gerst <harg...@airmail.net> wrote:
>
>> mg...@earthlink.net wrote:

>> >My third record - still have it, along with 5 other copies. The album
>> >notes credit "Richard Durrett, instrument design engineer - creator of the
>> >DURRETT Electronic Music Synthesizer and Ring Modulator"
>>
>> What can I say?? I'm getting old - and you're absolutely right. Now
>> that you mentioned his full name, I remember it was in fact, Richard
>> Durrett. The US of A used my Acoustic Control amplifiers, and I would
>> run sound for them whenever they played the Ash Grove.
>>

>OMYGAWD!!!
>
>You knew them? I bow before you!!!

Look, just to set the record straight, I have been a very lucky guy,
who just seemed to have a knack for being in the right place at just
the right time, for a lot of my life. I hung out at most of the major
L.A. studios, and I worked at a lot of companies that were in the
music business. Music in L.A. during the 60s was a small community
and everybody knew everybody else, since we were all trying to make
it.

So, yeah, I knew a lot of people who went on to be other people's
gods, and yeah, I did some stuff I got recognized for, but we were all
just hanging out together, having fun. I was into music - all kinds,
so I hung out with folkies, rockers, jazz people, classical musicians,
and studio people, like Doc Seigel, Wally Heider, and Al Schmitt. My
guitar teacher was Barney Kessel - at $5 an hour! He was well known,
but not yet famous. Frank Hamilton (of the Weavers, and now on my
label) was teaching folk guitar in the next room.

Jim McGuinn and I wrote a couple of songs together and he wandered off
to start the Byrds. I got a little more well-known. I worked at JBL
and talked them into letting me design a line of musical instruments
speakers. I got a little more well-known. I helped design some
amplifiers for Acoustic Control and they were well received at the
time. I got a little more well-known. I worked with Harold Rhodes on
the Fender Rhodes piano when Leo and Freddie and Forrest still worked
at Fender. I got a little more well-known.

I helped start a folk rock group called the Men (later known as the
Association) and we turned Dylan on to electric folk. I got a little
more well-known. I helped a group named Sweetwater get their act
together and they became pretty popular. I got a little more
well-known.

I designed the sound systems and ran sound at the Whiskey, the Trip,
the Troubadour, the Ice House, and the Ash Grove, and played there as
well. I got a little more well-known. Sometimes, I'd record jazz on
the weekends at the LightHouse (or at Georgia's in El Monte), so I
hung out with people like Don Ellis, Buddy Childers, Ornette Coleman,
Freddy Gruber, and Charlie Hayden.

At the Ash Grove, it was Flatt and Scruggs, the Kentucky Colonels,
Merle Travis, Bud and Travis, Albert King, US of A, etc. At the
Troubadour, it was Joni, Linda, Buffalo Springfield, the Smothers
Brothers, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, etc. At the Whiskey, it was the
Doors, Janis, Canned Heat, etc. At various coffee houses, it was
Frank Zappa, David Lindley, Hoyt Axton, Dick Rosmini, etc.

At Acoustic, knowing all these people helped get us into the amplifier
business, and make even more new friends, like Hendrix, Jefferson
Airplane, Mike Bloomfield, and a ton of others. I got a little more
well-known.

It was a time in history that will never come again, and I was very
lucky to be a part of it, but that was it - just my dumb luck to be in
the right places at all the right times. I didn't do much of
anything, I just showed up and happened to be there. I don't think I
made any history - I was just there as a witness to it. I hung out
with a lot of great people that went on to be giants, gods, and
legends. Sadly, a lot of them are dead - at far too early an age.

I'm still here - and still lucky, I guess. But don't go bowing to me,
hell I ain't even a "real" pope - I'm just somebody that was damn
lucky to hang out with the people who helped shape the music.

John Paris

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
Whatever it was...it should also be pointed out that Brian Wilson used the
device on the song "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" on the Pet Sounds
album before he cut "Good Vibrations."

"Busyditch" <bzd...@sprynet.com> wrote in message

> >Song: Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966)
> >Synthesizer: Theremin? (Brian Wilson)

ROBOT

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
Did anybody mention Morton Subotnik's "Silver Apples of the Moon"? Classic
early experimental stuff. [btw: I saw him on a NASA channel show last night
about colonizing Mars. That was a surprise!] Oh- and let's not forget
Karlheinz Stockhausen and John Cage, etc. These early avant-gard pioneers
were around even before KRAFTWERK. Very impressive. KW was inspired by
Stockhausen, etc, and KW in turn inspired many EleKtroniK Artists from New
Wave/Industrial/SynthPop to Hip-Hop/House & TEKKNO, etc. Someone mentioned
The Silver Apples. Yeah! They're American, but they sound very
"Krautrock"ish, like FAUST and CAN and even early KRAFTWERK. Very
interesting!

Ah, yes- I was about 8 years old when the Moog came out.*sigh*. Switched-On
BACH, POPCORN, etc. Yeah- did anybody mention POPCORN? 1970? Maybe 69, I
forget. Great tunes!

ROBOT

~^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^~
=OHM SWEET OHM=
~^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^~

RO...@gyrogearloose.com
http://robot.gyrogearloose.com/ -(HomePage)-
ROBOT's Silly Sektor of CyberSpace

+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+
=K R A F T W E R K=K R A F T W E R K=K R A F T W E R K=
+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+

Sonic VI

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
Yeah- did anybody mention POPCORN? 1970? Maybe 69, I
>forget. Great tunes!

That track is available on a comp cd called "The Best of Moog: Electronic Pop
Hits from the 60's and 70's." A very cool cd, has Hugo Montenegro, Perrey &
Kingsly, Gil Trythall, First Moog Quartet, Dick Hyman, and more. CD Now has it,
check it out.

Daniel.

Mike

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
In article <20000707013203...@ng-cg1.aol.com>,
son...@aol.com (Sonic VI) wrote:

Then there was the song that got me listening to music on the radio at
9: the wonderful static and crashing noise from Joe Meek's
groundbreaking _Telstar_ in 1961.

Mike

DNA224

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
All this talk of people dabbling with synths in the sixties and no one
mentioned (I missed it if they did) a few folks whose sound was "based" on
synths like: Stardrive & TONTO's Expanding Headband? And how about thos early
Arp demo disks with Roger Powell and others (OK, I've slipped into the
nostalgic comedy area).

And remember, the earliest Kraftwerk LPs had NO synths at all on them! At
least that's how I remember it, and I'm sticking to it!

Neworldman

Hugo Fernbom

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
SwedeBear wrote:

> Wasn't Switched On Bach by Walter Carlos made in the last 60's or it
> maybe was early 70's.

Switched On Bach was made in 1968. At least according to many web
pages, e.g. http://www.synthmuseum.com/mc/

--
Hugo Fernbom

Homepage: http://www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94hfe/

Tetraplan

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
On 07 Jul 2000 19:25:33 GMT, dna...@aol.com (DNA224) wrote:

>And remember, the earliest Kraftwerk LPs had NO synths at all on them! At
>least that's how I remember it, and I'm sticking to it!

I doubt that, Ralph and Florian were using a Minimoog and a VCS 3
since their "Ralph and Florian" days.

>Neworldman

email: dwaes(at)dds(dot)nl

ICQ 66463663

Brought to you by M&M enterprises
"What's good for M&M Enterprises, is good for the World"

Leiter

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
Mike wrote:
> Then there was the song that got me listening to music on the radio at
> 9: the wonderful static and crashing noise from Joe Meek's
> groundbreaking _Telstar_ in 1961.

Still one of my most favorite tracks.

How about synth music at the planetarium? That was almost a religious
experience.

Rick Novak

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Wow! You worked with Tommy Smothers? Now I'm really impressed! My
hero! :>)
Cheers, Rick.

Rick Novak

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Ed & Cori wrote:

> Dick Hyman had a couple Moog albums in the 60's. One, "Moog; The
> Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman" is a favorite of mine.

Wow. What a great name! R.N.

Michael Porter

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
Actually, I believe the Monkees were one of the first ones to use a
synthesizer on a recording (as frightening as some of you may find it).
I'll have to look it up, as to which song it was, and when.
--
---Michael Porter (of GAMBIT)...

wrs

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
I think the Moody Blues with their Moog Synthesizer may have been one of the
first.

Sonic VI

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
> Actually, I believe the Monkees were one of the first ones to use a
>synthesizer on a recording (as frightening as some of you may find it).
>I'll have to look it up, as to which song it was, and when.

Yeah, that's been covered, you're a little late with that one :) The song's
called Daily Nightly from '67. Another little fact about Micky Dolenz and the
Moog is that when he sold it, he actually sold it to teen idol Bobby Sherman,
easy come easy go I guess.

There was an interview with Robert Moog a few months ago on the NPR program
Fresh Air where he talks about an early Moog related record called The Zodiac
Cosmic Sounds. It's a very interesting interview. You can hear the interview in
real audio at the NPR website, www.npr.org I think, maybe www.npr.gov.

Daniel.

2DJVENGAC

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
wrs wrote:

> I think the Moody Blues with their Moog Synthesizer may have been one of the
> first.

The Moodies (via Mr Pinder) were more in with the Mellotron than
electronics.

> Michael Porter wrote in message <396A35B9...@email.sps.mot.com>...

> > Actually, I believe the Monkees were one of the first ones to use a
> >synthesizer on a recording (as frightening as some of you may find it).
> >I'll have to look it up, as to which song it was, and when.

doesn;t Brian Wilson's GOOD VIBRATIONS arrangement predate the monkees?

also Abbey Road... still my benchmark for using a synthesiser AS a
syntheser in a musical arrangement

then there was REFLECTIONS By ummm ... Diana Ross?

do we want to count the score for LAURENCE OF ARABIA?

Todd Clark

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
In article <3960C0A9...@nospam.com>,
Smedley <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> The Rolling Stone's "2000 Light Years From Home" used a
> modular Moog.

Back in 1975, on the b-side of my first single "Flame Over Africa", I
recorded an early proto-cyberpunk version of "2000 Light Years From
Home" using a Minimoog and a Maestro Theremin. It also included
throbbing tribal drums with no cymbals and carefully arranged dissonant
female backing vocals.

> I read someplace that one of Bob Moog's people spent a
> couple weeks with Mick to teach him how to use it.

Was this the same modular synthesizer that Mick Jagger is shown playing
in the film "Performance"?

--
Todd Tamanend Clark
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist

Autonomous American Indian Movement of Pennsylvania

West Virginia Native American Coalition
http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/wvnamco

http://www.annihilist.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_all

http://www.guitargeek.com/layouts/display.php3?id=236

Jonathan Pittman

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
I have it on vinyl at home - I'll check

Bob Gill

Jul 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/11/00
> In article <3960C0A9...@nospam.com>,
> Smedley <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > The Rolling Stone's "2000 Light Years From Home" used a
> > modular Moog.

I thought it was a mellotron. I'm pretty sure that's what Keith said in
his 1971 Rolling Stone interview. Of course, I don't know what a ``modular
Moog'' is, so maybe that's another name for a mellotron.

-- Bob G.

mg...@earthlink.net

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In article <396A35B9...@email.sps.mot.com>, Michael Porter
<ra3...@email.sps.mot.com> wrote:

> Actually, I believe the Monkees were one of the first ones to use a
> synthesizer on a recording (as frightening as some of you may find it).
> I'll have to look it up, as to which song it was, and when.

> --
> ---Michael Porter (of GAMBIT)...

Daily Nightly. From Headquarters I think. Featured on the show with a
little music vid of Mickey finger-syncing a IIIP whilst sitting
cross-legged in front of it and wearing a dashiki.

Leiter

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
arnquist wrote:
> The whole Abbey Road-Beatles LP/CD
>
> Here Comes the Sun
> Maxwells Silver Hammer
> and other as recorded on August 5th and 6th,1969

Also, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and I think "Because".

But what about the Univox on "Telestar", back in 1962? The only Britsh
#1 on the US charts before the Beatles.

Todd Clark

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
In article <mgod-13070...@pool0698.cvx23-
bradley.dialup.earthlink.net>, mg...@earthlink.net wrote:

> > > Daily Nightly. From Headquarters I think.

No, it was on "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd."

> > > Featured on the show with a little music vid of Micky

> > > finger-syncing a IIIP whilst sitting cross-legged in
> > > front of it and wearing a dashiki.

> And yes indeedy I'm a Moog fan.

I've owned just about every model of synthesizer Moog ever
manufactured.

> I bought the Monkees box set strictly for the two pics of
> Micky's Moog. Kills me knowing he sold it to Bobby Sherman.

An absolutely revolting development indeed.

> And did you [know] Mark Lindsay had a giant E-mu modular?

Mark Lindsay was probably my first musical role model in my early
teens, and I am also an E-mu collector, having owned the Emulator II+HD
that Trent Reznor used on "Pretty Hate Machine", as well as currently
owning the E-Synth Keyboard and a whole rack full of E-mu modules.

What model did Lindsay own, when did he own it, and which songs from
which albums does it appear on?

--
Todd Tamanend Clark
Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Activist

Autonomous American Indian Movement of Pennsylvania

West Virginia Native American Coalition
http://www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/wvnamco

http://www.annihilist.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi?step=view_all

http://www.guitargeek.com/layouts/display.php3?id=236

"There are no followers in AIM. We are all leaders.

We are each an army of one, working for the survival
of our people and of the Earth, our mother. This isn't
rhetoric. This is commitment. This is who we are."
-- Leonard Peltier

mg...@earthlink.net

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
In article <8klfq1$69u$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Todd Clark

<tama...@helicon.net> wrote:

> What model did Lindsay own, when did he own it, and which songs from
> which albums does it appear on?

No model, a modular. Unlike Moog or ARP, E-Mu didn't designate models for
those. Still owns it I think, somewhere up in Montana or Idaho. Records,
who knows?

dym...@ripco.com

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00

Sonic VI wrote:

> > Actually, I believe the Monkees were one of the first ones to use a
> >synthesizer on a recording (as frightening as some of you may find it).
> >I'll have to look it up, as to which song it was, and when.
>

> Yeah, that's been covered, you're a little late with that one :) The song's
> called Daily Nightly from '67. Another little fact about Micky Dolenz and the
> Moog is that when he sold it, he actually sold it to teen idol Bobby Sherman,
> easy come easy go I guess.
>
> There was an interview with Robert Moog a few months ago on the NPR program
> Fresh Air where he talks about an early Moog related record called The Zodiac
> Cosmic Sounds. It's a very interesting interview. You can hear the interview in
> real audio at the NPR website, www.npr.org I think, maybe www.npr.gov.

That must be Mort Garson. I have that record - there's one for
every sign in the zodiac. The music is the same, but the text
is different for each sign. It's pretty fun, though.

--

Kerry

CDriver333

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
I remember a few examples:

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by The Beatles

"You Showed Me" by The Turtles

"Reflections" by The Supremes (the cool intro effects)

Synthmatic

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
Check this site out for a list of "Famous Shipments" that R.A.Moog delivered
when they were in Trumansburg in the late sixties:

http://moogarchives.com/

It's under the "Lists" catagory.

Dave

Todd Clark

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
In article <20000716083822...@ng-cv1.aol.com>,
synth...@aol.com (Synthmatic) wrote:

> It's under the "Lists" category.

Now we're getting somewhere.

The factory itself confirms that Micky Dolenz was the first celebrity
to purchase a Moog synthesizer, and that Jimi Hendrix did in fact own
one, too.

I also hope that they have information on that or any other site about
the early Minimoog prototype that was given to Sun Ra.

Randy

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
here it is: --
looks like micky was way ahead of everyone else
e Monkees
Mickey Dolenz
9-15-67
First Model III-P, Oak
Cabinets
901-2,901A,901B-8,901C,903
902-3,904ABC,905,914,984
911-3,911A,912

The Rolling Stones
9-3-68
Model III
901,901A-3,901B-9,903
902-3,904ABC,905,914,984
911-3,911A,912

The Byrds
10-25-68
Model III
901,901A-3,901B-9,903
902-3,904ABC,905,914,984
911-3,911A,912

The Beatles
1-15-69
Model III-P
901,901A-3,901B-9,903
902-3,904ABC,905,914,984
911-3,911A,912

George Harrison
2-27-69
Sequencer Complement
960-2,961-2

Simon & Garfunkel
3-11-69
Model I
901,901A,901B-2,903
902-2,904A,905,907
911-2

George Martin
9-11-69
Custom with Sequencer
901,901A-3,901B-6,903
902-2,904ABC,905,914,984
911-2,911A,912
960,961C,962

Jimi Hendrix
Electric Lady Corporation
11-19-69
Model I with Sequencer
901,901A,901B-2,903A
902-2,904A,907
911-2
960,961

Florian Weimer

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
Hugo Fernbom <fer...@df.lth.se> writes:

> > Wasn't Switched On Bach by Walter Carlos made in the last 60's or it
> > maybe was early 70's.
>
> Switched On Bach was made in 1968. At least according to many web
> pages, e.g. http://www.synthmuseum.com/mc/

"Spektrum der Wissenschaft" (the German branch of "Scientific
American") confirms this. Unfortunately, no publication date is
printed on our LP.

George Hiebert

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

Bob Gill <bob...@erols.com> wrote in message

It is indeed a mellotron played by Brain. He also used it on We Love You and
a few aother tunes I think.

Walter Five

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00

Randy wrote:

> here it is: --
> looks like micky was way ahead of everyone else
> e Monkees
> Mickey Dolenz
> 9-15-67
> First Model III-P, Oak
> Cabinets
> 901-2,901A,901B-8,901C,903
> 902-3,904ABC,905,914,984
> 911-3,911A,912

You can hear this Moog in several cuts from the Monkee's film "Head".

> The Rolling Stones
> 9-3-68
> Model III
> 901,901A-3,901B-9,903
> 902-3,904ABC,905,914,984
> 911-3,911A,912

This is the Moog that Jagger used for the soundtrack to the Kenneth Anger
film
"Invocation Of My Demon Brother." It was very primitive; I've seen it
referred to
in several places as a "prototype", which doesn't sound entirely accurate.

I searched that site for indications of when Walter (now Wendy) Carlos got
his/her
first Moog, the one used for "Switched On Bach"; couldn't find it. ELP got
theirs in 1971...

Happy trails!

Walter Five

Frodis

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00

Walter Five wrote:

> You can hear this Moog in several cuts from the Monkee's film "Head".

The Moog is featured on the "Pisces..." album, nearly a year before Head
was released. That might be a Moog on "Porpoise Song" tho'.

Frodis!

Randy

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
sounds more like a hammond organ to me

Frodis

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
Randy wrote:

> sounds more like a hammond organ to me

I'm referring to the "wah-wah" sounding instrument during the lines
"Wanting to be, to hear and to see..." etc. That's not a Hammond Organ
there. Of course, the organ that's played throughout the song is most
likely a Hammond.

Frodis!

Sonic VI

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
>I'm referring to the "wah-wah" sounding instrument during the lines
>"Wanting to be, to hear and to see..." etc.

I went and listened closely to the cd at that point and actually I think it is
the Hammond. It's just the interaction of the register they're playing in,
which changes to a higher sound at that point like they're playing on the other
manual maybe, and the Leslie making the wah wah type sound. You can sorta
follow the sound of the Leslie changing to that phasey wah sorta sound back to
a more steady recognizable chorus type sound. There's also a trumpet, or
coronet maybe, playing in the background that adds to the sound a little. In
the Rhino CD of "Head" there are only credits for keyboards and horns, among
the other instuments. No specific mention of the Moog, on any of the tracks. Of
course that doesn't mean it's not there, but if it is it's not obvious, to me
anyway.

Daniel.

Leiter

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
Joe Meek beat all of these--Telstar, a #1 hit in the US in 1962.

Sonic VI

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
>Joe Meek beat all of these--Telstar, a #1 hit in the US in 1962.

What does that have to do with the Porpoise Song?

Randy

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
you mean the "porpoise" noise? i always thought that actually was a
popoise

Frodis wrote:

> Randy wrote:
> >
> > sounds more like a hammond organ to me
> >

> I'm referring to the "wah-wah" sounding instrument during the lines

Sonic VI

Jul 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/23/00
>you mean the "porpoise" noise? i always thought that actually was a
>popoise

No, I think you're thinking of the whale song by the Partridge Family.

Daniel.